Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Gamiero soon to sign, Maclaren following.

Koren and Germano going.

What nationality is the construction worker that told you this?

Greek, I believe.

Clearly if this is all happening, the GCW should be able to hint on whether the club are looking to sign a big Marquee.

Koren and Germano going.

Greek, I believe.

Clearly if this is all happening, the GCW should be able to hint on whether the club are looking to sign a big Marquee.

Marquee options lined up, just a matter of which one accepts their offer

I'm hopeful the club was seriously interested in Drogba, like Fox Sports presenter Zappone stated, if only for a guest stint. Mooy's fantastic, and I love that he plays for us, but its not too good that he's the only class in the team (although maybe Kennedy as well will show a little class next season after a full pre-season. I think that's something the club and CFG is expecting). Hopefully there is some injection of class into the team before next season.

If you're hoping for an "injection of class", I don't think Drogba is the type of person you're looking for.

Nothing big, and almost certainly a NYL/NPL team target, but news the club is looking at an NPL goalkeeper:

Young goalkeeper Edin Sahnic [from Spring Hills FC] has attracted interest from A-League club Melbourne City

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/west/spring-hills-out-to-climb-the-state-league-ranks-to-keep-its-most-talented-juniors-at-the-club/story-fngnvog3-1227400355539

Edited by Murfy1

Koren and Germano going.

Greek, I believe.

Clearly if this is all happening, the GCW should be able to hint on whether the club are looking to sign a big Marquee. Marquee options lined up, just a matter of which one accepts their offer Drogba, Gourcuff and Samaras I'm hearing.

John van ’t Schip has been given a season to get things right at Mebourne City, with the club’s new and impatient owners expecting nothing less than a top three finish.

There is also great pressure on foreign marquee Robert Koren to deliver next season, with a strong “shape up or ship out” message delivered to the Slovenian.

Still at City and 23-year-old winger Harry Novillo wants to stay and is desperate to sign a new contract after impressing fans as an injury replacement for the now departed Damien Duff.

image: http://images.cdn.fourfourtwo.com/sites/fourfourtwo.com/files/styles/inline-image/public/gettyimages-465562452.jpg?itok=1virWsCq

gettyimages-465562452.jpg?itok=1virWsCq

Safuwan Baharudin’s two goals in Singapore’s 4-0 away win to Cambodia have once again sparked A-League interest. Released by Melbourne City, Baharudin’s display in Phnom Penh underlined his potential value to an Australian club, especially one about to embark on an ACL campaign. 

The South East Asian star missed his national side’s historic 0-0 with Japan in Saitama for family reasons, his leave granted by another Australian connection at the Singapore Lions – German former Perth Glory premiership winning coach Bernd Stange.

And the rest…talented young striker Eli Babalj may choose to return home to give his injury-blighted career a second chance and has been sounded out by an A-League club seeking a central striker…

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/transfer-rumours-herd-options-novillo-wants-stay?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fourfourtwo_autopost

What I find strange about CFG's spending policy for Melbourne City is that they have splurged on Melbourne City, but they splurged on the training facility, spending way above the club's revenue with $15 million just being splurged on the training facility alone. So it can't be said that CFG are weary of spending well above the club's revenue.

So it does surprise me that they aren't spending $2 million or so on an international marquee for us (which would be double Koren's salary, as numerous reports stated he's on less than $1 million). 

Or to put it another way: where's our Robinho? Where's our statement signing, that shows Melbourne City mean business? CFG just needs to make one such signing, that is sign a real proper marquee, and after that they can fill the squad with salary cap player and youth and so on. Especially with New York City FC making 2 statement signings (Villa and Lampard), and counting, it simply reflects poorly on Melbourne City having Robert Koren for our poster boy who's supposed to make neutrals stand up and take notice.

The marquee situation probably wouldn't be so annoying if we didn't have Engelaar last season. But we did. And supporters are now fully aware of the difference a class player can make (yet alone what a joy such players are to watch). CFG effectively had Engelaar go and replaced him with Koren, so for supporters it can help but feel like we were shortchanged.

So if only for the supporters' sake, it would be worth CFG's while IMO if they brought in a real marquee. If would earn CFG a lot of good faith, and IMO CFG will need to do everything it can to earn good faith from supporters (and from prospective supporters) if it seriously wants to grow the membership base next season, because right now it doesn't feel like CFG are doing us a lot of favours-- we lost Engelaar for Koren, we lost the red and white for a compromise kit, we lost the club name & club badge, the merchandise is widely not liked and memberships and tickets are expensive as ever. CFG should start seriously listening to supporters, and should work hard to bring us along for next season, instead of working around us.

Two things that are different about the training facilities:

1. It's a fixed asset and it will be there for many years to come, they probably factored it into the price they paid for buying the club, as something (adequate training facilities / not wheely bins) that's needed to run a football club. Whereas for seasonal expenditure, there is probably a set budget which doesn't allow for any over the top spending. Which makes sense to me, we seem to be operating on a similar amount of money as Victory and Sydney, the two most financially strong teams in the league outside of us. In the long run, these three teams should be the strongest and we will win our far share of championships. It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend significantly more than every other team, especially when there isn't a whole lot of revenue to be made in the A-League. I've always believed, and CFG have side it themselves, that they want to run a sustainable club, not one that relies on constant investment of capital. Training facilities are a one time investment that will last for many years and provide us a huge benefit going forward, an asset. Spending large amounts of money on player salaries a season, an expense, which far exceeds our revenue does not equate to a sustainable club. I dare say they only want to tip in money for a few years, and then after that the club will largely fund itself. We have seen with Manchester City that CFG did invest a lot of money, but then City's revenue also increased over the years due to the smart investment from CFG, and now the club is actually sustainable. CFG were never looking to throw away money, all the money they put into Man City was a calculated move aimed at making money, and it looks to me like it's been successful. I dare say there is a similar model for the other CFG clubs, albeit on different scales.

2. As I've stated before, CFG are serious about using us for youth development. It's why JVS is still here, and it's why the facilities were built. A wise investment by CFG if you ask me, Australia has great sporting talent with the right physical and mental attributes, what we've always lacked is the technical ability and if CFG can provide the resources (facilities, coaches, expertise) to develop the technical abilities of young Australian players then it will really pay off for them.

• Like 2

Wait a second, no one told me Maclaren is from the West. 10 year contract.

Gameiro on the left, Kennedy in the center, Maclaren on the right.

Fucking hell, with that front 3 surely even under JVS we can achieve something (I know better than to say this, but hard to not get excited).

I'm guessing Maclaren may be our youth marquee.

Pretty smart signings, as both Gameiro and Maclaren can play out wide and in the centre, so they can both start with Kennedy, and if Kennedy isn't available they can fill in for him in the centre. Just bring Kuzi in to play on the wing for whichever one covers for Kennedy. Easy goals.

Please get rid of Williams now, completely surplus to requirements.

Edited by Tesla

Fucking hell, with that front 3 surely even under JVS we can achieve something (I know better than to say this, but hard to not get excited).

Pretty smart signings, as both Gameiro and Maclaren can play out wide and in the centre, so they can both start with Kennedy, and if Kennedy isn't available they can fill in for him in the centre. Just bring Kuzi in to play on the wing for whichever one covers for Kennedy. Easy goals.

Hmmm. Where does that leave Kuzmanovsky, Marino and Novillo? Williams definitely would be playing in the NYL. The positives will be that there is intensive competition for places and there will be depth. Kennedy could either be a starting XI or an impact player off the bench.

I wish the club would hurry up and confirm some more signings as well as departures.

Hmmm. Where does that leave Kuzmanovsky, Marino and Novillo? Williams definitely would be playing in the NYL. The positives will be that there is intensive competition for places and there will be depth. Kennedy could either be a starting XI or an impact player off the bench.

I wish the club would hurry up and confirm some more signings as well as departures.Kuzmanovski wasn't signed to be a first 11 player, not yet anyway. Marino also not a first 11 player. Novillo is interesting, maybe we are going to play 2 up front more this season, but then that means a midfielder misses out and we already have at least 4 worth starting in 3 positions, let alone 2. I guess out of Novillo, Kennedy, Maclaren, and Gameiro it won't be often that all 4 are available,so still plenty of game time for all of them. This is why I didn't believe the Maclaren rumours initially, we have plenty of attacking players right now, but they are starting to seem legit.

Edited by Tesla

I wish the club would hurry up and confirm some more signings as well as departures. Kuzmanovski wasn't signed to be a first 11 player, not yet anyway. Marino also not a first 11 player. Novillo is interesting, maybe we are going to play 2 up front more this season, but then that means a midfielder misses out and we already have at least 4 worth starting in 3 positions, let alone 2. I guess out of Novillo, Kennedy, Maclaren, and Gameiro it won't be often that all 4 are available,so still plenty of game time for all of them. This is why I didn't believe the Maclaren rumours initially, we have plenty of attacking players right now, but they are starting to seem legit.

I think it will turn out to be Gamerio Novillo and McLaren as the attacking three. I think Kennedy will retire and Mooy would move to aus marquee so we can free up cap space and attempt to keep him long term ala Milligan. 

I wish the club would hurry up and confirm some more signings as well as departures.Kuzmanovski wasn't signed to be a first 11 player, not yet anyway. Marino also not a first 11 player. Novillo is interesting, maybe we are going to play 2 up front more this season, but then that means a midfielder misses out and we already have at least 4 worth starting in 3 positions, let alone 2. I guess out of Novillo, Kennedy, Maclaren, and Gameiro it won't be often that all 4 are available,so still plenty of game time for all of them. This is why I didn't believe the Maclaren rumours initially, we have plenty of attacking players right now, but they are starting to seem legit.

I think it will turn out to be Gamerio Novillo and McLaren as the attacking three. I think Kennedy will retire and Mooy would move to aus marquee so we can free up cap space and attempt to keep him long term ala Milligan. Don't think mooy is on enough to constitute aus marquee at this point. Perhaps next season or if he renegotiates his deal...

Koren and Germano going.

What nationality is the construction worker that told you this? Greek, I believe. Clearly if this is all happening, the GCW should be able to hint on whether the club are looking to sign a big Marquee. Marquee options lined up, just a matter of which one accepts their offer Drogba, Gourcuff and Samaras I'm hearing.

Drogba - yes :D

Samaras - Not too bad :)

Gourcuff -  WTF is this ??? :hmm:

I will say that Pirlo would be fantastic, but a striker is what we need.  In saying that though, we have to be realistic here and realize that We still have Kennedy and he will be in our starting 11 whether we like it or not (unless injured or coarse). Dont see how these names will go unless JVS plays 2 up front (highly unlikely) or they sit on the pine (also unlikely).

That being said, 2 quality wingers should be priority to utilise Kennedy's strengths and a backup striker on the cheap like a (cant believe im saying this) Babalj to give us the other option off the bench.

Nothing big, and almost certainly a NYL/NPL team target, but news the club is looking at an NPL goalkeeper:

Young goalkeeper Edin Sahnic [from Spring Hills FC] has attracted interest from A-League club Melbourne City

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/west/spring-hills-out-to-climb-the-state-league-ranks-to-keep-its-most-talented-juniors-at-the-club/story-fngnvog3-1227400355539

We've looked at so many young goalkeepers but never signed one of them for the senior squad.

Edited by jw1739

I have an inkling Babalj will sign for Sydney FC- no source, just my take on a few things I've read.

SFC already have Smeltz, Naumoff, Brosque and a few up and comers of their own. I can see him going to WSW since they lost Juric.

If what MLBHRT/ESSENDN/MUTD/INFO@VOLKSWAGEN posted has any truth to it and Kennedy doesn't play on next season then I hope Babalj comes to us!

• Like 1

Have it on very good authority that Novillo, Gamjam and Macci will all sign with 2 "popular" players being released. Also we are looking for a big name.

Inb4 popular refers to Williams lel

Obviously one is Williams.

The other would be either Murdocca or Hoffman maybe??

• Like 1

Have it on very good authority that Novillo, Gamjam and Macci will all sign with 2 "popular" players being released. Also we are looking for a big name.

Any "good authority" on if Germano is going to be at the club next season?

Think if this bloke has a solid injury free pre season, i'd want him to stick around

Any "good authority" on if Germano is going to be at the club next season?

Think if this bloke has a solid injury free pre season, i'd want him to stick around

I know it's been said before, but I'd love if we can keep him on the books until he gets his Citizenship. He looks to have got his body in good shape so he'd be a handy utility player...unlike Hoffman, who is just average-to-bad in every position we've used him in.

Obviously one is Williams.

The other would be either Murdocca or Hoffman maybe??

Wouldn't have described Willo as "popular."

Of the potential releasees I would have nominated Murdocca and Germano as the most "popular" - whatever people think of their football I'd say in terms of personal demeanour they are the most popular.

• jw1739 pinned this topic