Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

35 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

If he responded like that, it means he's not leaving. Fold the club.

I agree, and TBH i've read the assistants going differently from most people as well, I see it as a sign JVS is staying. Otherwise they would have gone at the same time JVS does.

Looks like JVS is staying. Time to cancel my membership, which I've had from right when they first started selling memberships years ago.

SOme light reading.

NEWS

John van't Schip built Melbourne Heart for the long-term

• DAVID DAVUTOVIC
  • HERALD SUN
  • FEBRUARY 01, 2012 11:00PM
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

John van't Schip

John van't Schip is quitting Melbourne Heart at season's end. Picture: Getty Images

MANY an A-League fan has scoffed at John van't Schip's supposedly excessive salary but he was worth every cent.

However, to focus on his pay packet (closer to $550,000-a-year and not $700,000 as has been reported) or his results ratio (15 wins, 16 draws, 18 losses) is missing the point.

Van't Schip will leave behind a legacy that far exceeds any other foreign A-League coach and, as it stands, ranks alongside trailblazers Ange Postecoglou, Graham Arnold and Aurelio Vidmar.

His legacy includes five potential Socceroos, two future A-League coaches and an administration that now holds a superior understanding of a football club philosophy compared with most A-League clubs.

Eli Babalj, Curtis Good, Mate Dugandzic, Aziz Behich and Brendan Hamill have all laid solid foundations for successful European careers and if Heart plays its cards right at the negotiating table, it will recoup van't Schip's salary in transfer fees and then some.

Ante Milicic and John Aloisi are without question two of Australia's brightest coaching prospects and they can't speak highly enough of the Dutchman's influence.

And it's hard to think that Peter Sidwell would have heard of Louis van Gaal three years ago, but mentioning him yesterday as one of van't Schip's mentors spoke volumes of how far this A-League club has progressed in a short period.

Whether Heart goes on to win this season's title or not is in many ways immaterial. When one gazes beyond the A-League table and weekly results, Heart is the A-League club that closest resembles a European club and van't Schip has played no small part.

He had his faults - his (and by extension the football department's) international recruiting has been mediocre, headlined by Brazilian striker Maycon.

But his talent identification and the continued faith shown in young players is straight from the Ajax Amsterdam school and unparalleled in the A-League.

Van't Schip has seldom, if ever, blamed his own player(s) in the wake of a loss - something Aussie coaches have a habit of doing - or used excuses, despite often having every reason to.

He's carried himself with dignity throughout, something which will be a cornerstone of Milicic and Aloisi's coaching personas.

While finances will dictate the decision on his replacement to a point, the challenge for Heart is not to replace van't Schip but to find someone to carry on that legacy.

4 minutes ago, silverdust said:

John van't Schip built Melbourne Heart for the long-term

• DAVID DAVUTOVIC
  • HERALD SUN
  • FEBRUARY 01, 2012 11:00PM
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

John van't Schip

John van't Schip is quitting Melbourne Heart at season's end. Picture: Getty Images

MANY an A-League fan has scoffed at John van't Schip's supposedly excessive salary .

Whether Heart goes on to win this season's title or not is in many ways immaterial.

Fixed

Edited by belaguttman

It really does boggle the mind.

He even finally had his dream squad this season.

Next season Mooy will leave, Fornaroli will take one marquee spot, and we have to try and get someone as good as Mooy to be our Marquee, I doubt we'll be able to do that. We are probably going to struggle to replace Wilkinson as well due to the salary cap. I think we will end up with a slightly weaker squad next season, still probably the best in the league, but slightly weaker than this season.

So if he couldn't do it this season what makes CFG so confident next season?

• Like 1

Unfortunately he's not a terrible coach just a mediocre one. If he does stay he might get lucky (I'm being serious) and have a good season. This season he was two wins away from winning the whole thing wither the Plate and the Grand Final. Bruno might stay and CFG supply some amazing replacement for Mooy etc. Next season we win the whole thing and suddenly we are stuck with JVS for at least another two years after that.

Never mind that he needs the richest, most well connected owners in the A-League and a team that is better than any A-League team has ever been to win the damn thing... Never mind that he should have gone years ago.

I don't care if he goes on to win the Premier's Plate, Grand Final and following ACL next season. I will never forgive the club, both Heart and City for keeping him season after season.

Or he stays for next year and we come 3rd despite have the best squad etc etc.

Basically I've been in a foul mood over him being in charge for at least a year and half and it will continue until he is sacked. I loathe mediocrity. I loathe business institutions that reward mediocrity. I loathe the old owners of Heart and I'm beginning to loathe the current owners.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alexxxandro said:

Unfortunately he's not a terrible coach just a mediocre one. If he does stay he might get lucky (I'm being serious) and have a good season. This season he was two wins away from winning the whole thing wither the Plate and the Grand Final. Bruno might stay and CFG supply some amazing replacement for Mooy etc. Next season we win the whole thing and suddenly we are stuck with JVS for at least another two years after that.

Never mind that he needs the richest, most well connected owners in the A-League and a team that is better than any A-League team has ever been to win the damn thing... Never mind that he should have gone years ago.

I don't care if he goes on to win the Premier's Plate, Grand Final and following ACL next season. I will never forgive the club, both Heart and City for keeping him season after season.

Or he stays for next year and we come 3rd despite have the best squad etc etc.

Basically I've been in a foul mood over him being in charge for at least a year and half and it will continue until he is sacked. I loathe mediocrity. I loathe business institutions that reward mediocrity. I loathe the old owners of Heart and I'm beginning to loathe the current owners.

First time I've sat in front of a computer and physically applauded a forum post.

I own a business. My customers don't run the show and make the decisions - that's the reward I get for working my arse off and taking the gamble. But I need to listen carefully to feedback or they'll go elsewhere and I'll go bankrupt. Most particularly I need to pay attention if the same feedback comes from more than one source.

These clowns are either stone-cold deaf, arrogant, or us as "customers" aren't making enough noise to be heard.

Then again, stuffed if I'm ever going to take my football business elsewhere!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cloughie said:

Or us as "customers" aren't making enough noise to be heard.

Then again, stuffed if I'm ever going to take my football business elsewhere!

I think these two points are exactly why he is still here. 

City fans are renowned for being happy with just being. As long as we win a few derbies here and there, everyone is happy and turns up ro clubs nights with smiles and congratulations.

But the ones who are not happy with just being better than victory are not going anywhere anyway. We just sit on a forum and complain.

What i think the club have failed to realize though is that for most people, both of these options are far too much effort. They just dont waste their time bothering with us at all.

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

I think they are well aware its a numbers game, as I am sure they set out KPIs that needed to be satisfied.

If JVS's KPIs weren't achieved, he will be sacked.

If they are aware its a numbers game then they must be terrible at maths not to have sacked him last last year

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I think these two points are exactly why he is still here. 

City fans are renowned for being happy with just being. As long as we win a few derbies here and there, everyone is happy and turns up ro clubs nights with smiles and congratulations.

But the ones who are not happy with just being better than victory are not going anywhere anyway. We just sit on a forum and complain.

What i think the club have failed to realize though is that for most people, both of these options are far too much effort. They just dont waste their time bothering with us at all.

Fans were voicing their opinion on "City Voice." But those opinions are being deleted. So they are hearing the complaints, but not listening.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Fans were voicing their opinion on "City Voice." But those opinions are being deleted. So they are hearing the complaints, but not listening.

I didn't bother signing up to city voice because i waste enough time on here as it is and i (perhaps misguidedly) suspect CFG would monitoring this forum anyway, but what was the general feel on city voice prior to deletegate? 

The facebook comments are almost always overwhelmingly positive (possibly because negative ones are deleted too). Was there a lot of negativity on city voice?

8 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I didn't bother signing up to city voice because i waste enough time on here as it is and i (perhaps misguidedly) suspect CFG would monitoring this forum anyway, but what was the general feel on city voice prior to deletegate? 

The facebook comments are almost always overwhelmingly positive (possibly because negative ones are deleted too). Was there a lot of negativity on city voice?

Yep, a few people are voicing their dissatisfaction with the management. 

If he does stay, however, i hope that the they bring in two assistants who can act like a Bomber Thompson type setup that they had at Essendon. Minus the peptide scandal. 

1 hour ago, Cloughie said:

I own a business.

Ha! So do I with a couple of partners. I'm constantly fighting tooth and nail to improve the business which is probably why it's so frustrating following Heart/City. Really it's a franchise, a business I support and so if they are going to run it like a business at least be good at it. At least listen to the customers.

1 minute ago, Deviant said:

Yep, a few people are voicing their dissatisfaction with the management. 

If he does stay, however, i hope that the they bring in two assistants who can act like a Bomber Thompson type setup that they had at Essendon. Minus the peptide scandal. 

At this stage I'd accept a peptide scandal if it lead to JVS' removal.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Based on the time it takes them to reply on city voice I doubt they'd ever venture into this neck of the woods. The negativity probably comes from about 3-4 people. To put it in context though, if I had to guess, there's probably only about 10 people that comment on City Voice. So you could say they're being swamped with 'JVS out' posts. 

It appears someone has just made a comment mentioning them deleting people's comments when asking people 'voice' their opinions. Also asking for JVS to be sacked lol. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, n i k o said:

It appears someone has just made a comment mentioning them deleting people's comments when asking people 'voice' their opinions. Also asking for JVS to be sacked lol. 

The more posts they get from new city-voices, the more impact it will have. The posts are being deleted because its company policy but I'd doubt that they aren't being reported up the chain