Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

just imagine winning the grand final and jvs gets his contract extended for 2 more seasons where is primary objective is fighting for a 5th spot, with the same old playing style with mediocrity in 75% of our games and maintaining his win ratio of just 33%

koren will be paid off and we get another marquee that is 38 years old and injury prone, however consists of strong marketing power

fuck yes.

Edited by Young Polak

Whilst I love this finals run. It really annoys me that it has happened as it means they will keep JVS and the same crap will continue on.

By "run" you mean winning a single game?

Considering that this is the furthest we have made it in finals, yes. Technically applies lol.

If you watched the players talk after the game, they all put it down to effort, not one said anything about JVS, I think a divide is happening.

Or perhaps the club drilled them for their lack of effort last week and the media training session re-emphasised that point.

Mooy was again one of our best with his vision and forward passing last night. I'm sure once he moves on to bigger and better things our ball movement will suffer immensely further putting pressure on JVS's style of coaching.

Lets hope the club has planned for this by looking for a potential replacement if Mooy leaves!

If you watched the players talk after the game, they all put it down to effort, not one said anything about JVS, I think a divide is happening.

Or perhaps the club drilled them for their lack of effort last week and the media training session re-emphasised that point.

you would have heard of the drilling, it happens all the time. There was nothing, the players wanted it more.

Though to be fair dropping Mooy into a DM spot was smart, I wonder if it was JVS or Tranny who suggested that?

Come to think of it, didn't I say Mooy should be our Isias (DLP)?

I just thought of something: What happens if JVS has just begun one of his small winning streaks which is normally what happens when we do win under him.

LOL - We could end up winning the Title despite him still being a Shit Coach making KSK and I look like these guys whenever we moan about him.

StatlerandWaldorf(2).JPG

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

I don't believe CFG will be influenced by short-term losing or winning streaks. They are just one of the factors that feed into their assessment of a coach. The reason why they don't indulge in knee-jerk reactions is that they have processes in place to assess all the people in their organization and to indicate to under-performers that they need to improve. It is when under-performance continues that they act.

Much as I would prefer him to go, I think that van 't Schip will be with us at the start of next season. But IMO we will be expected to make some prudent signings and to finish top four for him to have a third year.

The excitement in this city if both City and Victory have a good season would be palpable.

I just thought of something: What happens if JVS has just begun one of his small winning streaks which is normally what happens when we do win under him.

LOL - We could end up winning the Title despite him still being a Shit Coach making KSK and I look like these guys whenever we moan about him.

StatlerandWaldorf(2).JPG

Haha. I had the same thought! But I am happy to look like a cunt if it means winning the dunny seat.

Mind you. I still think he needs to go regardless.

• Like 1

Top of the table derbys over a couple of seasons will definitely result in grand final at the G in the not too distant future.

How long was it until Hughes was replaced at Manchester after their takeover. We could be following same strategy.

StatlerandWaldorf(2).JPG

I see that as a compliment!

• Like 1

LOL - We could end up winning the Title despite him still being a Shit Coach making KSK and I look like these guys whenever we moan about

StatlerandWaldorf(2).JPG

I see that as a compliment!

My favourite muppets

StatlerandWaldorf(2).JPG

You telling me you don't look like those guys?

• Like 1

You know I think JVS's reprieve will only last the one game. Wellington were ripe for the picking. And while City do lift for Derbies Victory have shown all season they are a class above us. Also I think the team and JVS will have taken too much confidence from the Wellington game. And Victory are going to be so hungry to destroy us and actually have the kind of confidence that takes more than one game to build. Also last season's winning streak wasn't anywhere near as impressive as it seemed at the time. Only one of the wins was a proper away win and that was against Wellington who came second last. 

Of course anything is possible in football. And I want City to do well and will be cheering the lads on.

And if they win the grand final I will have to concede defeat and accept another ten years of JVS in charge. 

Have to say it causes mild schizophrenia supporting a team while hopping for the day their coach is sacked. I think that's what's been hardest about JVS still being charge as it's really soured my enjoyment of supporting the team as I basically have no confidence in the team under his charge. But now they are in the finals it only takes a few wins and they are champions so maybe I should have had more faith from the start as I always thought they were a good chance to make finals just not to get very far. 

Edited by Alexxxandro
  • Like 1

And if they win the grand final I will have to concede defeat and accept another ten years of JVS in charge. 

This is the thinking I am worried about.

Even if we do go on to the grand final and even win it, the fact remains all complaints made about him at the start of the season are still huge problems when you look at the season as a whole. Inconsistent? Check. Plays players out of position or not used properly? Check. Boring? Check. Players not motivated for important games? Check. 30-35 win percentage? Check. And so on.

I will be over the moon if we win and I will l be there Friday night cheering City on too, but really we have no business being in the hunt for the most prestigious prize in Aust football and its only down to the FFA's comical format that we can have a season like ours and only be one win away from a grand final spot. But I'm sure this type of thinking will be seen as irrational and I'm not a true fan etc etc. and we can do the whole thing again next year because people will judge him on three matches.

• Like 1

This is the thinking I am worried about.

Even if we do go on to the grand final and even win it, the fact remains all complaints made about him at the start of the season are still huge problems when you look at the season as a whole. Inconsistent? Check. Plays players out of position or not used properly? Check. Boring? Check. Players not motivated for important games? Check. 30-35 win percentage? Check. And so on.

I will be over the moon if we win and I will l be there Friday night cheering City on too, but really we have no business being in the hunt for the most prestigious prize in Aust football and its only down to the FFA's comical format that we can have a season like ours and only be one win away from a grand final spot. But I'm sure this type of thinking will be seen as irrational and I'm not a true fan etc etc. and we can do the whole thing again next year because people will judge him on three matches.

I agree on all points except the finals format being comical. It's required in australian football and makes a ten team league with no relegation entertaining for the fans of all teams all the way through. It's a tall ask for a team to win three away games on the trot against teams that all have finished the season higher than you. Would we have ever done that in the past? I think the system is about right as I can't remember a team outside the top 2 winning the gf? Correct me if I'm wrong of course.

I don't think CFG will be blindsided by a finals run though. They'd be judging the season and squad as a whole.

• Like 1

I agree on all points except the finals format being comical. 

Personally I think its more fair if

-1st and 2nd play each other over 2 legs. Winner has a home final.

- 3rd and 4th play each other over 2 legs.

- Winner of the 3rd/4th playoff plays loser of the 1st/2nd playoff over two legs.

- Whoever wins that goes through to grand final.

5th and 6th should not get a sniff IMO. But either way it is what it is and hopefully you are right that he will be judged on the overall season.

• Like 1

If he wins the Grand Final he would obviously be kept on...

And even I have to concede that he will most likely have us winning more games next season because the Squad will be very different considering the amount of Heart Duds the club had contracted for this Season that will be most likely be replaced by better players.

We have already seen this Season that the recruiting in the second half of the season has been pretty half decent: Safuwan, Jailens, Novillo have all put in decent showings and Clisby was not a bad pick up considering the club's requirements at the time.

• Like 1

Think the recruitment was fairly strong all season bar Koren being a waste of a marquee spot. Through the whole season as it played out I expected JVS to get the beginning of next season to show improvement and then if it wasn't forthcoming he'd be shown the door mid season next year. Bar us getting humiliated on Friday I don't see that changing regardless of results in the finals series.

Can see the case for a 4 team finals series but I think it's just as much about keeping crowd figures up at the tail end of the season for all teams having something to fight for. A four team finals series will probably leave about four or five clubs with nothing to play for for the last four or so rounds.

• Like 2

I agree on all points except the finals format being comical. 

Personally I think its more fair if

-1st and 2nd play each other over 2 legs. Winner has a home final.

- 3rd and 4th play each other over 2 legs.

- Winner of the 3rd/4th playoff plays loser of the 1st/2nd playoff over two legs.

- Whoever wins that goes through to grand final.

5th and 6th should not get a sniff IMO. But either way it is what it is and hopefully you are right that he will be judged on the overall season.

Agree