Archi      -      Wieleart      -      Kisnorbo      -     Ramsay

Paartalu

Mooy         -         Koren

Duganzic            -                 Duff    

Williams

Bench: Murdocca, Kalmar, James Brown, David Villa

Omitted: Marino, Retre

• Like 1

Germano - 3-6 weeks. I seem to have read that somewhere before...and somewhere else before that. He must be our highest paid player in terms of dollars paid per minutes on the field.

And yet he has complained to fans before that he is not being paid enough... :hmm:

Melbourne City’s David Villa hogs the headlines but Sydney FC will fancy chances in round one

John Aloisi

October 09, 2014

ALL the focus has been on David Villa, but Graham Arnold’s Sydney FC will be confident of plotting Melbourne City’s downfall on a massive opening weekend of season 10 of the A-League.

There’s been plenty of excitement in the build-up to the season’s kick-off - now it’s time to get down to business and play some actual football.

Socceroos legend John Aloisi previews the action.

THE BIG GAME: Sydney FC v Melbourne City

Allianz Stadium, Saturday night, 7.30pm EDT, Fox Sports 1 HD

• Villa will ready: he’s adaptable, a natural goal scorer.

• City will aim to dominate possession

• Graham Arnold will set up with pace to exploit City in behind

The big question is: will Villa start? I think he will and he’ll play as long as possible.

I expect them to line up with Villa as the No.9, with Robert Koren on the left and Damien Duff on the right. The reason behind that is that Koren likes to come inside, pick up the ball – almost like Thomas Broich does at Brisbane Roar – and play through balls.

City coach John van ‘t Schip likes to outnumber his opponents in midfield, in order to control the game. And they’ll keep more possession - they have players now that Erik Paartalu and Aaron Mooy, plus Koren and Duff, who will occasionally come inside.

But I think this could also play into Sydney FC’s hands at home at Allianz Stadium. They’ll sit off against Melbourne City and try and make it hard for them to break them down. While a lot of play will be in the Sky Blues’ defensive half, the danger for Melbourne City is getting caught in behind – especially because Patrick Kisnorbo and Rob Wielaert like to defend everything in front of them. They prefer to anticipate things; they’re not as comfortable when the ball is played in behind.

Arnie has the ability to adapt to the opponents he’s up against; if they see a team is going to keep more possession than them, they’ll try use their pace on the counter-attack. City might have the ability to keep the ball, but Arnie will pin-point their weak points, which are most probably their full-backs, who aren’t naturally full-backs. They’ve got Iain Ramsey at left full-back, while on the right will likely be Ross Archibald, a youth team player who is more of a centre-back or defensive midfielder.

That’s where Sydney FC can hurt them. If they do intercept balls in midfield – they might be able to hurt them in that space in behind or out-wide. Don’t forget, they’ve got Shane Smeltz, who pulls really well off the shoulder of the furthest central defender – he’ll be there ready to make the most of any diagonal balls. Then there’s newly appointed captain Alex Brosque and Corey Gameiro, who are quick.

Sydney, from what I’ve seen in pre-season, will likely play what’s a 4-2-2-2 when with the ball. When they set-up defensively, it’s more of a flat 4-4-2. They’ve been hit by players away on international duty - Marc Janko, Bernie Ibini, Christopher Naumoff, Hagi Gligor, Ali Abbas and Anthony Bouzanis are all away. There’s talk of young Max Burgess playing too – he’s lightning quick, so obviously Arnie is thinking about the space in behind, which is why he wants pace. And his side will be organised defensively.

But the last word is for the man of the moment, David Villa. He might have just stepped off the plane, but that won’t worry him. He’s such an adaptable player and such a natural goalscorer that it doesn’t matter how they get the ball to him. It could be through a lot of crosses – of the 13 goals he scored for Atletico Madrid last year, a lot were from crosses, because that’s how Diego Simeone’s side played. But at Barcelona, it was more about keeping possession, then slipping him a through ball. So he’s quite adaptable, so he’ll fit in very quickly. The team doesn’t need to be built around him, he will adapt.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-citys-david-villa-hogs-the-headlines-but-sydney-fc-will-fancy-chances-in-round-one/story-e6frf4gl-1227085077552

Germano - 3-6 weeks. I seem to have read that somewhere before...and somewhere else before that. He must be our highest paid player in terms of dollars paid per minutes on the field.

And yet he has complained to fans before that he is not being paid enough... :hmm:

In his first season when he was on minimum wage trying to support a family. Agree with the bloke too considering Hoff was being payed more.

In his first season when he was on minimum wage trying to support a family. Agree with the bloke too considering Hoff was being payed more.

I only found out Jonny was a family man the other day.  i can imagine the sequence of events -offered a contract with Heart, checks the exchange rate - "yeah that looks good", moves here with the tribe, but he's the only one allowed to work, then finds out just how expensive Melbourne really is.  Suddenly he's this high profile bloke who is struggling to make ends meet.  

This unfortunate initial contractual arrangement though doesn't change the fact he is fit for about 3 games every season.  Might be better off getting a real job like the rest of us and supporting his family that way.

Bit harsh on him mate tbh, when he plays his two games a season he is the BOG, cut him some slack.

• Like 1

Saturday, 11 October 2014

Sydney FC v Melbourne City FC

Allianz Stadium, Sydney

Kick-off: 7.30pm local (7:30pm AEDT)

Referee: Peter Green

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3.Robbie WIELAERT, 5.Erik PAARTALU, 6.Aaron MOOY, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 9.David VILLA, 10.Robert KOREN, 11.Damien DUFF, 14.James BROWN, 15.David WILLIAMS, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 22.Nick KALMAR, 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 24.Patrick KISNORBO ©, 26.Marco MARINO, 27.Ross ARCHIBALD

***two to be omitted***

Ins: 27.Ross ARCHIBALD (promoted – National Youth League)

Gutted I can't be there. Excited nevertheless. Those who are going to Sydney, do us proud boys. Cheers, Chants do whatever to get behind our boys. See you in Round 2 and if we win, I will wear our kit the whole night and into bed !

• Like 1

Saturday, 11 October 2014

Sydney FC v Melbourne City FC

Allianz Stadium, Sydney

Kick-off: 7.30pm local (7:30pm AEDT)

Referee: Peter Green

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3.Robbie WIELAERT, 5.Erik PAARTALU, 6.Aaron MOOY, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 9.David VILLA, 10.Robert KOREN, 11.Damien DUFF, 14.James BROWN, 15.David WILLIAMS, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 22.Nick KALMAR, 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 24.Patrick KISNORBO ©, 26.Marco MARINO, 27.Ross ARCHIBALD

***two to be omitted***

Ins: 27.Ross ARCHIBALD (promoted – National Youth League)

Gutted I can't be there. Excited nevertheless. Those who are going to Sydney, do us proud boys. Cheers, Chants do whatever to get behind our boys. See you in Round 2 and if we win, I will wear our kit the whole night and into bed !

Beer drenched and all

I think Germano is a fantastic player however am getting sick of him constantly being injured... Because he hasn't been able to get his body right the club won't give him a better deal, but they won't cut him because the quality is there...

I maintain he needs to play at least 90% of this season otherwise this will be his last season...

I think Germano is a fantastic player however am getting sick of him constantly being injured... Because he hasn't been able to get his body right the club won't give him a better deal, but they won't cut him because the quality is there...

I maintain he needs to play at least 90% of this season otherwise this will be his last season...

Unless he becomes australian???? anyone know if that is a possibility 

I still think that the biggest hurdle we have to overcome this season, despite the influx of new players, is our mental fragility. I don't doubt our capacity to score goals, and although I have to concede that our defence looks weak as it stands, IMO it's going to be our ability to see out the full 95+ minutes of each match without lapses of concentration that is the real challenge.

One thing is certain with a Graeme Arnold side is that they will be very disciplined mentally, as he demonstrated with CCM. They will punish any silly mistake that we make.

Overall I'll still be very happy to see us come away with a draw from this match.

I still think that the biggest hurdle we have to overcome this season, despite the influx of new players, is our mental fragility. I don't doubt our capacity to score goals, and although I have to concede that our defence looks weak as it stands, IMO it's going to be our ability to see out the full 95+ minutes of each match without lapses of concentration that is the real challenge.

One thing is certain with a Graeme Arnold side is that they will be very disciplined mentally, as he demonstrated with CCM. They will punish any silly mistake that we make.

Overall I'll still be very happy to see us come away with a draw from this match.

You're spot on about our mental fragility. One so many occassions last season we bossed the game, then fell asleep for 5 minutes and would concede goals. Would love to see a whole 90 minute effort with high concentration and work ethic.