Melbourne Football

SFC VS MCFC - Round 1

Ruckoo

In much of the same way that we are midfield heavy (with the likes of Murdocca, Germano, Kalmar etc likely to not make our best XI) Sydney seem very attacking heavy, dont you think?

I know Ibini and Janko will be missing Rd 1, but when you add them into the squad with Smeltz, Gameiro and Brosque, they literally have 5 strikers, all of whom would NOT want to be bench warming in the A-League... interesting head ache for Arnold

Our squad (besides defence IMO) would be set if we took one of their strikers, like a Gamerio or Ibini

I hope gamiero sits on the bench. Then maybe we can snap him up when he leaves

Plenty of talk of pressure from the FFA to us to play David villa. They want it as a big marquee match to kick of the season.

If we say that Villa is not ready to play in round 1 then their is nothing the FFA can do.

They can put all the pressure they want on us but at the end of the day the decision to play him will be up to the coaching staff and club medicos NOT a bunch of suits who want him to play so they can put bums on chairs. Do you think we can win if villa doesn't play just interested in people's opinion. With Williams as the only recognisable attacker I just wonder if we will be potent enough to score enough goals to win.

Honestly, i don't think we can. I just don't have enough faith in Williams to be able to consistently bang in goals for us. If we win it would be a scrappy 1-0 win at most.

I think most people know my views on williams(spud).

But with decent supply from mooy, koren, Duff he should be able to bang a few home. In saying that though, he missed some crazy sitters last year

Update on Sydney's absentees:

Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold will be forced to dip into the club's youth team to fill the bench for Saturday night's opening A-League fixture against Melbourne City at Allianz Stadium.

The Sky Blues will be without several key players because of international duty and injuries, headlined by the loss of new Socceroo Bernie Ibini, whose place in the starting side could well be taken by youth forward Max Burgess.

Christopher Naumoff, Hagi Gligor and Anthony Bouzanis are all away until October 23 at the Asian under-19 Championships in Myanmar. Ali Abbas (Iraq) and Marc Janko (Austria) are with their respective national teams, while defensive duo Rhyan Grant and Sasa Ognenovski are injured.

"We're missing a lot of players, maybe six first-choice ones, which is really unfortunate for us and certainly presents us with a big challenge," Arnold said on Sunday.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc/sydney-fc-down-on-numbers-but-graham-arnold-has-faith-in-youngsters-20141005-10qi9y.html

So Sydney will be missing 4 starting players from the team that played us in the FFA Cup: Ogenovski, Gligor, Abbas and Ibini. 5 players including Naumoff, who was subbed on. Sydney's several absentees are valuable players, and their absence will significantly weaken Sydney IMO.

And this was the Melbourne City XI against Sydney then:

Duff      Williams    Dugandzic

Mooy   Kalmar

Murdocca     

Ramsay    Kisnorbo   Wielaert    Hoffman

Redmayne

And this is what I'm tipping for round 1:

Duff      Villa    Dugandzic

Mooy   Koren

Paartalu     

Ramsay    Kisnorbo   Wielaert    Archibald

Redmayne

Villa to play the first half.

Just going off player changes alone, I'm tipping Melbourne City to have a significantly different performance against Sydney compared with the FFA Cup match.

Edited by Murfy1

Never been to the imp in Melbourne and never been to an away game. So this game will be my first for both away games and pre game drinks. Looking forward to meeting you guys who are travelling down there and having some drinks pre and post game.

That made no sense at all but the thing is I know exactly what you're saying
  • Like 1

Are we having a pre-game meet up before the Sydney game?

Yes mate,

If you're in Sydney it's the Padington Imperial and if you're watching from Melbourne it's the Imperial on Bourke.

where is the Paddington Imperial and what time?

Just a few blocks from the stadium. A quick Google search should reveal all.

In regards to time just get there when it suits mate.

Hi, I have a ticket for sale in the away end, club is sending me tickets as part of my membership and they are sending me 2 which wasn't expected so this one isn't needed.

It's a mobile ticket so I can SMS it to you right away.

I'd be happy with $20

Are flights and accommodation included in price?

Haha unfortunately not

So Sydney will be missing 4 starting players from the team that played us in the FFA Cup: Ogenovski, Gligor, Abbas and Ibini. 5 players including Naumoff, who was subbed on. Sydney's several absentees are valuable players, and their absence will significantly weaken Sydney IMO.

And this was the Melbourne City XI against Sydney then:

Duff      Williams    Dugandzic

Mooy   Kalmar

Murdocca     

Ramsay    Kisnorbo   Wielaert    Hoffman

Redmayne

And this is what I'm tipping for round 1:

Duff      Villa    Dugandzic

Mooy   Koren

Paartalu     

Ramsay    Kisnorbo   Wielaert    Archibald

Redmayne

Villa to play the first half.

Just going off player changes alone, I'm tipping Melbourne City to have a significantly different performance against Sydney compared with the FFA Cup match.

Ramsay at LB is such a disaster...he makes Hoffman look good as a full back

• Like 2