Melbourne Football

SFC VS MCFC - Round 1

Ruckoo

City’s Ben Garuccio (ankle), Jonatan Germano (calf) and Jason Hoffman (suspended) will all miss the opening round.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-citys-connor-chapman-on-verge-of-return-victorys-defensive-headache-for-round-one/story-fnk6rlg0-1227074374110

Jonaton Germano with a calf injury! This is the same injury that he's had his whole time here

That's good, he should be available in 3 months then.Fixed.

• Like 1

A lot of people on here are selling the A-League short.. Let me just say the MLS is a much weaker competition than the A-League. Dumb players on big wages, and tactically inferior... If anyone saw the LA Galaxy vs N.Y Red Bull game today you would have seen our very own Timmy Cahill playing as a defensive mid-fielder ... Lol yeah!!! a defensive mid-fielder..

If Villa comes here and underestimate the league he will join the A list of players to do so... Super Mario (Brazilian) Newcastle jets, Romario, 1 goal in 10games and I think it was an own goal. Juninio Sydney FC does anyone remember him?? Pablo Contreras Victory defender... Good god how bad was he??? Robbie Fowler he was my favourite... If I'm missing anyone it's because they were that good I can't remember them...

If Villa is to make any impact on our league and our club he will need to be at the top of his game...

I always thought heskey was underwhelming with the jets.

at a guess -

Redders

Archibald  Wielaart      Kisnorbo       Ramsey

Partaluu

Koren             Mooy

Duff              Williams           Villa

SUBS:  Velaphi   Dugandzic    Murdocca    Brown    Retre/Marino

at a guess -

Redders

Partaluu

Koren             Mooy

what makes people think redders will be the starting keeper, Tando finished the season playing the last three games and i dont think redmayne has done anything to gain back his position. Maybe that doesnt matter as its a new season but after what redders did in the cup match i wouldnt think JVS would be very confident to play him.

at a guess -

Redders

Partaluu

Koren             Mooy

Dugandzic will start on the right and Villa will be played as the Number Nine... 

Unless JVS follows the advice of some forumites and does a Mr Burns and benches Villa (Darryl Strawberry) to play the percentages and starts Williams (Homer Simpson) instead.

• Like 6

That back 4 (and redders) does nothing to inspire confidence. Rest is quality.

GK, RB and LB is poor. Comfortable with CB's. Front six is very sexy.

My version is GK, LB and CB (weialert) is poor. Comfortable with RB (Hoffman, Archibald, germano when available). Front six is very sexy.

Also pretty happy with RB when Hoff/Germano are available. Archibald is unproven at this stage I guess.

at a guess -

Redders

Partaluu

Koren             Mooy

Dugandzic will start on the right and Villa will be played as the Number Nine... 

Unless JVS follows the advice of some forumites and does a Mr Burns and benches Villa (Darryl Strawberry) to play the percentages and starts Williams (Homer Simpson) instead.

New Chant for Villa DAAAAAAAARRRRYYLLLL. DAAAAAAAAARRRRYYLLLL.

tumblr_l57bd0DSD11qc073co1_400.gif

• Like 3

I'd love it if our full backs put in reasonable crosses, can't recall many last season.

Clearly forgotten Hoffmans reasonable cross that ended up being a goal. Why cross when you can score...

or mate's derby 'stunner' for that matter

not that mate's a full back but still

Edited by bt50

Ok So Ill wont be travelling to Sydney for this, planning on watching it with 8 or so mates at the Imp..

If there are 2 or so boys under the age of 18, can we who are 18 and over act as guardians... The minors only intend on watching the game 

Cheers

#Hackett

• Like 3

Ok So Ill wont be travelling to Sydney for this, planning on watching it with 8 or so mates at the Imp..

If there are 2 or so boys under the age of 18, can we who are 18 and over act as guardians... The minors only intend on watching the game 

Cheers

Give Hackett a PM and he'll be able to sort you boys out.

• Like 1

City defence 'a concern' before opening round

By Michael Huguenin

2 October, 2014

The rebranded A-League club will be missing four full-back options when they travel to Sydney for their October 11 clash

Melbourne City look set to play a central defender and left-winger in the full-back positions when they travel to Sydney FC in round one of the A-League.

With Jason Hoffman suspended and three other defensive options struggling with fitness problems, City coach John van 't Schip will have to name an undermanned back four for the rebranded club's maiden A-League fixture.

Inexperienced centre-back Ross Archibald is likely to get the nod at right-back, while Iain Ramsay will continue his transformation from an attacking flyer into a left-back.

Patrick Kisnorbo and Rob Wielaert are the likely central defensive pairing.

"We already played with Ross Archibald in that position [in pre-season]," Van 't Schip said before City training on Thursday.

"Of course, he's not really a full-back, more a centre-back but he's doing well, and he's improved a lot over the last weeks, and that's the big advantage of having him playing there already for a few weeks.

"The same with Iain [Ramsay] on the other side, he's been playing the whole pre-season in that position [left-back] and they're improving and getting better."

City will travel to Sydney next week for their opening match of the 2014-15 season on Saturday night and although there is plenty of excitement about what the likes of David Villa, Robi Koren and Damien Duff can do in the forward third, defence will be a "concern" for Van 't Schip.

Ex-Newcastle Jets defender Connor Chapman has had glandular fever throughout pre-season and is far from full fitness, while two other full-back options Jonatan Germano and Ben Garuccio are injured.

"So we have some defensive issues but I'm more than confident that the players we'll put out there will be up for the task," Van 't Schip said.

The Dutch coach - in his second stint with the club formerly known as Melbourne Heart - would like to sign another defender but that is unlikely to happen before the start of the league campaign.

"At the moment we can't…yeah we can, maybe, but it's not going to be a big [signing] because of the salary cap, we don't have that much," he said.

"So we have to be very careful in what we do and it has no use to get someone in who's not going to have the level of what we already have."

Excitingly for City and Australian football fans, Villa will finally arrive in Melbourne on Tuesday in time for the A-League launch.

But if the former Barcelona and Atletico Madrid striker is not ready to play in round one - he will only have four days to get ready - Van 't Schip will not pick him.

"We'll just have to see how he feels," City's boss said.

"He's been out of competition and out of team training for three months now, so he will be physically ok, he's a professional, we know he's going to be giving us everything when he comes here but still we just have to wait."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2014/10/02/5149645/city-defence-a-concern-before-opening-round

REACTION: JvS prepares for Sydney FC and Villa

Thursday, 2 October 2014 

Melbourne City FC Head Coach John van’t Schip spoke with the media on Thursday morning as his side nears the season opener against Sydney FC and prepares for the arrival of David Villa next Tuesday.

The Dutchman was confident his side is ready to face Sydney FC with the pre-season coming into its final stages.

“Its going to be a tough game [against Sydney]." van't Schip said.

"I think with the pre-season they have and their confidence, I don’t think it’s going to be an easy game but I don’t think any game will be easy in the A-League,

“We are prepared and we are looking forward to the season as well, it has been a long pre-season and we’re up for it so it's going to be a great game.”

Van't Schip expects Round One to be a tactical battle between both teams and van’t Schip was adamant that his side will stick to its strengths.

“We know the game we want to play,” he said.

“We have to be prepared for any kind of team we are playing against and whatever playing style they have. Our style is not going to change, we like to dominate, we like to keep the ball and if we play against a team that is stronger than us and dominates us, then we have to defend, that's the way it is.”

The Melbourne City FC Head Coach also revealed his plans for David Villa, saying he’ll assess Villa’s ability to play in the first game when he arrives in Melbourne on Tuesday.

“We have to talk to him, hes a professional, he will give a good indication where he thinks he is himself [fitness-wise] and we will have a good look when he’s on the pitch. We’ll make a decision on what role he’ll play in the first game and what role he’ll play in the games to come.” he said.

“David Villa is a world class player, he played in the Champions League final last year, he was at the World Cup with Spain, he’s won everything that you can win so I don’t think that anybody needs to be clarified of what he is able to do.”

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/reaction-jvs-prepares-for-sydney-fc-and-villa/m37gw9wi4pn1124cuenqn977p