Melbourne Football

Australia @ 2015 Asian Cup

Tesla

The one newy away trip I did I walked across a swamp to the stadium and a bloke tried to sell me fucking celery at the gate. Welcome to Australia!! That bloke who sells nuts outside aami is missing a trick, apparently celery is where it's at.

This sounds a lot like you went to a Newcastle Breakers game

How milligan got the nod above mooy is beyond me.

I do think all this Milligan hate is pretty funny! Imo he's been our best midfielder this tournament, he's passed forward to feet at every opportunity via both left & right pegs and took a great pen as well. I would honestly start him ahead of Jedinak who carelessly loses the ball time and again then bakes his teammates for no good reason!

As for Mooy, he should've got a gig in this squad but at Antonis' expense, not Milligan.

You can talk about Viduka and Kewell if we're talking about their overall careers, or ability, or whatever, but in terms of performances for the Socceroos, Cahill is clearly the winner.

This, just a shame Cahill never played for a big club ( not denigrating Everton but its not Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea  etc). For Socceroos I'd say Cahill is the man. 

All the people that were critical of Ange for resting players before the qf look pretty silly now. In such a condensed tournament, rotating the squad was a necessary move. Japan played a full strength team 4 matches in a row and look what happened to them. Even if they had snuck through last night they were going to be sitting ducks in the semi with a day less prep.

The four teams left are all capable of winning it, but the home ground advantage for us is significant.

Edited by Imperial Pints
  • Like 2

All the people that were critical of Ange for resting players before the qf look pretty silly now. In such a condensed tournament, rotating the squad was a necessary move. Japan played a full strength team 4 matches in a row and look what happened to them. Even if they had snuck through last night they were going to be sitting ducks in the semi with a day less prep.

The four teams left are all capable of winning it, but the home ground advantage for us is significant.

Nah, not really.

I criticised Ange because I was pissed that I didn't get to see the Socceroos in a quarter final at AAMI Park, not because we'd have a different, and what people believed to be a more difficult run to the final.

He put the NTs success over my personal enjoyment. And for that, Ange can still go fuck himself!

• Like 5

Does anyone have the AFC app? Opened it up now at half time for the Korea v Iraq game and I see AUS 0 - UAE 2. My heart skipped a beat for a second and now refreshed at AUS 1 - UAE 1, now it's AUS 3 - UAE 3 :)

Yeah didn't you hear the game time was changed. It's on viewers choice.

Good article in The Age today explaining some of the reason why a semi isn't being held in Melbourne.

It's as simple as the fact that Victoria didn't bid for it because the toffee-noses that run the government and bureaucracies in this state didn't want anything - and especially "soccer" - to have any chance of taking anything away from the tea and lamingtons of the tennis set.

• Like 1

Would like to see us start with:

Franjic Spira Sainsbury Davidson

Milligan

Jedinak Luongo

Leckie Cahill Burns.

Thought Kruse was abysmal in the QF, he barely broke out of a jog all match and (to my eyes) looked disinterested. Feel like Burns has goals in him and has a bit of mongrel that Kruse & Troisi lack (or maybe it's just my bias against the visitors).

Having said that I think Milligan deserves a start, he's been far & away our best passer this tournament and is imo a calming influence.

Am awaiting the vitriol about to come my way haha

Milligan

Jedinak Luongo

Leckie Cahill Burns.

Thought Kruse was abysmal in the QF, he barely broke out of a jog all match and (to my eyes) looked disinterested. Feel like Burns has goals in him and has a bit of mongrel that Kruse & Troisi lack (or maybe it's just my bias against the visitors).

Having said that I think Milligan deserves a start, he's been far & away our best passer this tournament and is imo a calming influence.

Milligan has played alright but he still has a knack that irks me of passing the ball to teammates when they have opposition players right up their backs.

Milligan

Jedinak Luongo

Leckie Cahill Burns.

Seems to me Kruse is a bit inconsistent, he was pretty poor in the first match as well if you ask me. But then was god in the second game. he definitely has a lot of abillity.

Wouldn't mind one last go of the Davidson-Behich rotation, then Ange can have a better idea of who his #1 is ahead of the final.

Interesting to see both Milligan and Jedinak starting, I'm a little worried we'll be too defensive tbh. Probably necessary in trying to negate Omar Abdulrahman and Ali Mabkhout going forward but I'm concerned we have nobody to deliver quality balls to our front 3. 

Will probably rely on Davidson pushing up and whipping crosses onto Cahill's beautiful head.

Good article in The Age today explaining some of the reason why a semi isn't being held in Melbourne.

It's as simple as the fact that Victoria didn't bid for it because the toffee-noses that run the government and bureaucracies in this state didn't want anything - and especially "soccer" - to have any chance of taking anything away from the tea and lamingtons of the tennis set.

I said this a few years back and got shot down in flames but this is a prime example of why I think its laughable that Melbourne dubs itself the sporting capital of the World. You cant be scared of the most popular sport in the world and think you are the epicenter of it.