Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

• 1 month later...

Koren's performances thus far have been poor, aside from the Newcastle game he has done very little and made next to no impact on game day.

Last nights game against MV he did nothing and was pretty much a passenger all game. Doesn't press, doesn't tackle and only plays when Mooy or Melling have done all the hard work and give him the easy lay off..

His in cruz control at the moment and walk around as If his Cristiano Ronaldo of the A-League.. His work rate is no where near good enough for an International Marquee..

• Like 1

Koren's performances thus far have been poor, aside from the Newcastle game he has done very little and made next to no impact on game day.

Last nights game against MV he did nothing and was pretty much a passenger all game. Doesn't press, doesn't tackle and only plays when Mooy or Melling have done all the hard work and give him the easy lay off..

His in cruz control at the moment and walk around as If his Cristiano Ronaldo of the A-League.. His work rate is no where near good enough for an International Marquee..

A little over the top here I reckon mate.

He's played what, 3 full games for us so far? One of those he scored a hat trick and he was good last week too.

Moments last night, especially in the first half where I thought he's forming a good understanding with Duff... but the midfield was crap and the service to him poor.

I'd reserve judgment on him at least until he gets some good time together with Kennedy.

Just hope JvS can find a proper structure where he can sit behind him. Doubts on that one atm....

You are all blind. I have been harping on for ever.

The cunts a dud.

Remember when I called you all out midway through your big circle jerk after his Newcastle game?

For someone with his pedigree, his output and match involvement should be A LOT more than what he is giving us at the moment.

But he scored a hat trick against a team that is and was utter shite so that's ok yeh?

• Like 2

Unless JVS actually plays him in a playmaker role, we can't expect too much from him yet.

He is coming back from a long injury break and can not be expected to be at full fitness at this stage.

He is being played as a false 9 type role, which he doesn't look entirely comfortable with. It seems a waste of a creativity player, but hopefully with JK coming in, this will free him up.

The challenge for is JVS finding a system that fits Mooy, Melling and Paartalu into a midfield with him, as it would appear likely something will have to give to achieve that.

Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater. The guys played what, 3-4 full games maybe (and played them out of position mind you) and suddenly we're demanding for his sacking? Now with Kennedy playing as our main striker we can put Koren back into his more natural roll. Lets see what he does there for the rest of the season before we think of sacking him.

with the current defense we need two DM's.  Meaning only one of Mooy or Koren to play. 

Absolutely correct. If Koren is good enough he will earn his place. If not, as far as I am concerned he's on the bench. We should not be shuffling the team around just to fit in a particular player, and at the moment Mooy and Melling are playing too well to be sacrificed. Koren was classified a "luxury player" at Hull City; maybe that's exactly what he is here.

The same goes for Kennedy and any other "names" that we have. Earn your place or you're in the NYL.

He was very poor today and needs to take a hard look at himself.

He has the skill to make a difference to this team. The question I would ask is does he have the desire?

Trying to pull off the long distance strike again this week.

The problem with these 30-something guys is that for too many of them its a nice little pay check to end their careers on.

If he is benched, what does he care?  He's already missed half the season, $700k per season for sitting on his arse.

Duff OTOH has been a model professional.

Might sound stupid but would the travel time to NZ be more then a typical away game in the Premier League?

I'd say so.  Its not just the flying time.  

Travelling international means negotiating customs and passport control and that means a long time at the airport.  Also we aren't going to Auckland, we are going to Wellington.  Probably limited direct flights and may well have to change.  A quick look on flight centre indicated that the flights alone with the layover are about 7.5 hours.  Plus travel to the airport, plus at least 1.5 hours to get through all the normal bull at departure, plus say 1 hour for the bull on arrival.  You are talking a long day.

Not sure what this has to do with Koren though?  

Might sound stupid but would the travel time to NZ be more then a typical away game in the Premier League?

I'd say so. Its not just the flying time.

Travelling international means negotiating customs and passport control and that means a long time at the airport. Also we aren't going to Auckland, we are going to Wellington. Probably limited direct flights and may well have to change. A quick look on flight centre indicated that the flights alone with the layover are about 7.5 hours. Plus travel to the airport, plus at least 1.5 hours to get through all the normal bull at departure, plus say 1 hour for the bull on arrival. You are talking a long day.

Not sure what this has to do with Koren though?

Just that Koren probably isn't used to that amount of travel to away games?

I think the travel time in Australia is never mind NZ

However, that is no excuse for a poor performance

JVS needs to spell out clearly what he wants out of him and where he expects him to play.

JVS needs to spell out clearly what he wants out of him and where he expects him to play.Yeah the shortest away trip in Australia (interstate) is probably the longest trip in England! But yeah, no excuse.

JVS needs to spell out clearly what he wants out of him and where he expects him to play.

To play better than the local players are able & the bench when Mauk is fit.

Rieira wore home like a bad suit today. Really think the team would benefit having him on the left as its generally been our weakest link in the final third all season. Bring Mass in to anchor the midfield and unleash Mooy & Melling to get box to box for 90 minutes and force the opposition onto the back foot.

He's technically as good as Broich and physically superior, he's struggling with the workrate expected when our wide men continually offer no movement and the ball is crowded into the middle of the park.

If he's played in a free role on the left I think we'll see far more impact from him.

Travel time? Goodness me, how many more excuses can we manufacture? The fact is this bloke was known as a "luxury" player at Hull City, and that's what he is here. He simply doesn't put in the work rate to meet the fans' expectations of a "marquee."

We said we would stay clear of these 30+ players who were looking for one last pay cheque, and then did the opposite. Even made the further mistake of signing him for two years. You reap what you sow.

In the future I'd rather see a young fellow from the Manchester EDS out here as foreign marquee every season.

We need a quality overseas marquee.

Let's compare Koren's output in the A League with players who came here with lesser reputations from overseas but are now marquees - Broich and Berisha.

Marcello Carrusca would be an ideal marquee  - don't think he's on marquee wages at Adelaide and we know how he performs for his club week in and week out. 

As a marquee's wages are not in the salary cap, can a marquee signed for 2 years have their contract terminated a year early, be paid out and replaced by another marquee?

If permitted, this should come under serious consideration in order to replace Koren imo.   

Let's compare Koren's output in the A League with players who came here with lesser reputations from overseas but are now marquees - Broich and Berisha.

Marcello Carrusca would be an ideal marquee  - don't think he's on marquee wages at Adelaide and we know how he performs for his club week in and week out. 

As a marquee's wages are not in the salary cap, can a marquee signed for 2 years have their contract terminated a year early, be paid out and replaced by another marquee?

If permitted, this should come under serious consideration in order to replace Koren imo.   

Hey, I like Koren and think he is a very classy player. I do agree that yesterday he was unsighted though and I too, was a little disappointed by him.

BUT you surely can't compare him to those blokes above when he has only played a handful of games.. and after a big injury too.

Those blokes you mentioned are also class, but have had time to establish themselves down here. He hasn't.

...and if you do want to compare his output, then he's scored three goals from what, 3 full games and 4 half ones? Not sure what the output of the other players mentioned were at the same stage, but I imagine that statistic alone would stack up quite well.

However if he continually puts in performance like yesterday over the next 10 rounds, then I too will definitely question his value for next season.

• Like 1

The last couple of games has seen Koren play poorly. I firmly believe we need to bring him back deeper into midfield. If that doesn't work then maybe he needs moved on. I think if he dropped back then he would be able to put his good passing skills to use.

So maybe for the next game we should have him alongside Paartalu with Mooy pushed forward. I would actually like to see Mooy play from the left to see how that works.

If Duff is injured then I would like us to get a genuine attacking midfielder as an injury replacement.

Hey, I like Koren and think he is a very classy player. I do agree that yesterday he was unsighted though and I too, was a little disappointed by him.

BUT you surely can't compare him to those blokes above when he has only played a handful of games.. and after a big injury too.

Those blokes you mentioned are also class, but have had time to establish themselves down here. He hasn't.

...and if you do want to compare his output, then he's scored three goals from what, 3 full games and 4 half ones? Not sure what the output of the other players mentioned were at the same stage, but I imagine that statistic alone would stack up quite well.

However if he continually puts in performance like yesterday over the next 10 rounds, then I too will definitely question his value for next season.

If Wikipedia is correct, Berisha (for example) scored 23 goals from his 35 appearances for Brisbane in his first season with them and in Australia.

Surely the expectation of a "marquee" player, and don't forget this is a player approved by FFA as being of sufficient significance to be paid outside the cap, is that he will stand out on a regular basis in terms of his overall contribution to the club and team? And I don't see Koren doing that - as yet, anyway.

Not really looking for huge goals from Koren.

Expecting a contribution, but more than that I'm expecting him to be the creative spark in midfield that takes the game by the scruff of the neck. His last few games he's been pretty much a passenger and perhaps there are reasons (niggle, ill, whatever) but we need to see a lot more, as right now, forget "marquee", he's not good enough to even start.

Based on yesterday I would play Murdocca ahead of him right now, so he seriously needs to find a new gear or 3.

• Like 1

I like to compare Koren to Engelaar as they both had injuries prior to the season and both came back about the half way mark. So far Engelaar is showing to be the much more influential marquee signing as opposed to Koren. While he did score three goals against Newcatle, they were in quite a shambles. I'm not impressed so far, and at this rate would have much rather kept Engelaar.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1