Melbourne Football

New Home End Name Submissions

Jimmy

Melburnians is the best suggestion this side of Yarraside. Sounds like a solid name that would get picked up and used by the club, supporters and the media. Non-offensive and states the team we support in the name.

• Like 2

Melburnians is the best suggestion this side of Yarraside. Sounds like a solid name that would get picked up and used by the club, supporters and the media. Non-offensive and states the team we support in the name.

U must be a virgin book reader then.. Tbh we aren't the only team in Melbourne so technically victory are Melbournians too.

MCB - non offensive, straight to the point, only one melbourne city.

I think the name 'melburnians' is just a bit plain just naming the supporter group the same name as what people from the city are called..it would be like calling the Australia supporter group the Aussies just think it looks like we lack effort or creativity in thinking up a name!

Edited by jparaga
  • Like 2

U must be a virgin book reader then.. Tbh we aren't the only team in Melbourne so technically victory are Melbournians too.

"There's only one team in Melbourne..." The other team are visitors ;-)

"There's only one team in Melbourne..." The other team are visitors ;-)

We will never get respect from using Melbournians. Regardless of visitors or not it's still a virgin book club name - gay

It may not be the first choice of younger supporters but it will have more appeal to older crowd then some "ultra boys gang MZ18476543ETC"

There were smaller groups under yarraside banner.

If you really can't live with the most popular choice, create your own group :)

Melbournians is very plain it needs to be combined with some thing. We are Melbournians supporting Melbourne is really no name.

Melbournian Mob

Melbourinan Cor (Latin for heart)

Melbourne's Yarra Supported Terrace MYST

Melbournian Shield

Etc

Edited by Deeming
  • Like 1

I think the name 'melburnians' is just a bit plain just naming the supporter group the same name as what people from the city are called..it would be like calling the Australia supporter group the Aussies just think it looks like we lack effort or creativity in thinking up a name!

IMO you are quite correct here. And I don't believe that this is a name that would be picked up by the media at all - it is simply too generic.

Overall I think we're running into the old problem of trying to rebrand something that didn't need rebranding in the first place. Yarraside identified both a specific part of our home ground, and the people in it. This double meaning is IMO a prerequisite for any new name.

However, we have to accept that the people who ran Yarraside so successfully for four seasons have stepped down, and there's also an acceptance that the name Yarraside will not be continued.

However, one of the advantages of generic words is that no-one owns them, and therefore that others are free to use them. No-one owns the word "Yarra." I can see nothing against continuing to use the word. Immediately, many of the difficulties disappear - "Yarra End", "Yarra Hill", "Yarra Depot", "Yarra Tribune", etc. etc. etc. even "Yarra Kop", become possible. (Incidentally, the word "kop" is not owned by anyone, being a word (meaning "hill") brought into the English language after the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. And Liverpool wasn't the first ground to have one, in case that's what you think!) Names such as these are all unique and will be readily accepted by commentators, the media, etc. And we don't run into the problem of the City supporters being at the opposite end of the ground to the City of Melbourne itself.

I guess as an outsider to the active group I'm trying to look at it from a wider perspective, bearing in mind that often a simple solution is the best.

You've made your point ton1no. The Virgin Book club reference isn't going to get funnier the more you say it.

I like Melbournians personally, certainly a hell of a lot better than anything else I can think/have heard of.

Virgin..

Not to mention Melbournians sounds like a boy band.. Would appear loving and PG for media... Not to other terraces "better watch out, the Melbournians are here"

As dominant as a pink tie

Edited by ton1no

Riparian - the meaning is:

adj.

Of, on, or relating to the banks of a natural course of water.

of, situated, or dwelling on the bank of a river or other body of water.

a dweller on the bank of a river. — riparian, adj.

City Riparian

South Riparian

Riparian S-Quad (S-Quad stands for Southern Quadrilateral of the stadium)

Riparian Watch

River Riparian

• Like 1

Riparian - the meaning is:

adj.

Of, on, or relating to the banks of a natural course of water.

of, situated, or dwelling on the bank of a river or other body of water.

a dweller on the bank of a river. — riparian, adj.

City Riparian

South Riparian

Riparian S-Quad (S-Quad stands for Southern Quadrilateral of the stadium)

Riparian Watch

River Riparian

Creative idea! but terrible word

I just read that Melbourne was originally founded by a guy called John Batman. Surely that's too good an opportunity to pass up? Call the active area "Wayne Manor" or something, and make jokes about travelling to the Etihad to play the visitors "because the city needs cleaning up". You can even riff on the films recently and say that the supporters club "is what Melbourne deserves, but not what it needs".

Plus it ties in with NYC being known as Gotham - the NYCFC supporters group toyed for a long time with a Gotham-themed name, and the text on both of your club badges is in font Gotham.

I just read that Melbourne was originally founded by a guy called John Batman. Surely that's too good an opportunity to pass up? Call the active area "Wayne Manor" or something, and make jokes about travelling to the Etihad to play the visitors "because the city needs cleaning up". You can even riff on the films recently and say that the supporters club "is what Melbourne deserves, but not what it needs".

Plus it ties in with NYC being known as Gotham - the NYCFC supporters group toyed for a long time with a Gotham-themed name, and the text on both of your club badges is in font Gotham.

http://youtu.be/wzLZYVBmCDY

• Like 1

http://youtu.be/wzLZYVBmCDY

Even better, the idea has previous.

Maybe don't name it, i didn't name my first born for a week.

Is it possible to run without a name for a while and see how inclusive it is with labeling it.

I know terrible idea, but there is a possibilty that people want to be active without being part of the gang.

• Like 2

To me "Melburnians" makes the most sense

-Having read through most of the posts on here there dont seem to be any standout suggestions that please everyone

-Melburnians has the least cringe factor of any name we could use, being 100% representative of the club and supporters without alienating any particular groups

-Whether we continue to actively refer to ourselves as yarraside or not, the broader uneducated public/media will most likely take a while to stop using it. Naming ourselves a collective term rather than a "place name" allows the yarraside name to co-exist as a non-recognised name for our active area for as long as it will

-Further, as collective term, Melburnians can easily become a nickname longer term which allows for a "place name" (more similar to yarraside) to develop organically rather than being hastily decided via internet forums/voting

-I can also see the name really getting to victory supporters as it implies we are the primary melburnian team (we are melbourne, theres only one team in melbourne, etc)

The Atrium is good as a place name. I do like Melburnians as a collective name for the group too. It doesn't exclude anyone, as it allows any City supporter to refer to themselves as a Melburnian, not just the active supporters. 

In the end however, as good a suggestion as LRobinson's is, we also have to keep in mind that even if we give the naming process more time, we're never going to have complete agreement on a name. And in the end, once a decision is made, it's likely that after using the name for a while most people will begin to love it. Most names sound weird the first time you hear them. 

• Like 3

In the end the final decision has to be from the leaders of the supporter group. Doesn't matter if others don't like it.

That's fine...except that wouldn't it be better if it were generally accepted rather than go through this rebranding exercise every time there's a change in the core of the active group?

• Like 1

In the end the final decision has to be from the leaders of the supporter group. Doesn't matter if others don't like it.

That's fine...except that wouldn't it be better if it were generally accepted rather than go through this rebranding exercise every time there's a change in the core of the active group?

This isn't a 'rebranding exercise'. It is a completely different entity.

In the hypothetical situation that heart weren't bought out and for some other reason YS Core decided to step aside the active group would still have been Yarraside, but as Yarraside was the active support for Heart and Heart only its existence has ended with the club it was created for.

If those who have put their hands up to commit a ridiculous amount of their spare time, for what is largely a thankless job, decide that is best that they choose the name then let them decide because for as long as the new club exists then so should the name of the group/stadium location.

• Like 3

Spot on malloy. It's like the situation we had on here when offering suggestions to improve yarraside. Those not part of the group are more than welcome to offer suggestions but that's where it stops. The final decision always should come down to those that are running it. If anyone feels that strongly about something, such as the name, then they best get involved and go to the meetings to make their voices heard. Otherwise any suggestion they provide will merely be only a suggestion.

Edited by n i k o