Melbourne Football

2014-15 MEMBERSHIPS

CaNNaVo93

No issue with variations in pricing.

However it's a common practice to announce the full pricing from the beginning.

Eg; early bird price until the 27th is $225

After that date full price will be $240

OMG expecting transparency from the club. I must be crazy

I've written down the City Class, First Touch, Premium A, Premium B, GA and Active prices as of today, so we can see whether they do, in fact, change.

• Like 1

This is a huge time for football in Australia, what with the Socceroos performing so admirably in the World Cup, the Asia Cup being played here in January next year, the highly anticipated first season of Melbourne City under the new ownership (including David Villa playing in the A League) and with AFL struggling to maintain crowds and general interest in the sport.

I really hope that the advertising for memberships begins soon (more mainstream advertising as opposed to social media etc), as this is a huge chance to influence people to start following Australian football and forget about the garbage that is AFL. I'm someone who grew up loving AFL and despite the fact that I still go to games every week and am an AFL member, my interest in the sport (especially this year) has taken a huge dip. At this point, I don't even know who's playing this upcoming weekend and that's huge for someone like me who normally reads up on everything during the week. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's feeling this way too so it would be great to start promoting Melbourne City because I guarantee there will be many people out there who are losing interest in AFL and would be very open to trying out the A League for the first time.

After all, there are so many out there that probably have the same old mindset that the A League is rubbish and the standard is shit. I personally love the A League and while I admit it's no EPL, it is improving massively and all it'll take is convincing these people to come to one or two games, because one great game like the 4-0 derby last season or the 2-1 win over Sydney with the 90th minute Willo goal (+Engelaar red card) can be all that it takes to get someone hooked. Now is the time to make the most of the lack of interest in the AFL and get people coming to games. 

• Like 2

This is a huge time for football in Australia, what with the Socceroos performing so admirably in the World Cup, the Asia Cup being played here in January next year, the highly anticipated first season of Melbourne City under the new ownership (including David Villa playing in the A League) and with AFL struggling to maintain crowds and general interest in the sport.

I really hope that the advertising for memberships begins soon (more mainstream advertising as opposed to social media etc), as this is a huge chance to influence people to start following Australian football and forget about the garbage that is AFL. I'm someone who grew up loving AFL and despite the fact that I still go to games every week and am an AFL member, my interest in the sport (especially this year) has taken a huge dip. At this point, I don't even know who's playing this upcoming weekend and that's huge for someone like me who normally reads up on everything during the week. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's feeling this way too so it would be great to start promoting Melbourne City because I guarantee there will be many people out there who are losing interest in AFL and would be very open to trying out the A League for the first time.

After all, there are so many out there that probably have the same old mindset that the A League is rubbish and the standard is shit. I personally love the A League and while I admit it's no EPL, it is improving massively and all it'll take is convincing these people to come to one or two games, because one great game like the 4-0 derby last season or the 2-1 win over Sydney with the 90th minute Willo goal (+Engelaar red card) can be all that it takes to get someone hooked. Now is the time to make the most of the lack of interest in the AFL and get people coming to games. 

I moved down from Queensland in 2000 as a 7 year old or whatever and decided to adopt Brisbane as my AFL team as it was apparently big in Melbourne (knew nothing about it, always played junior football). Followed it passionately until the inception of the A-league where I was drawn to the television watching whatever game I could. Now, I couldn't name 10 Brisbane players if I tried, I haven't watched a full game of AFL for about 4 years. I find it too long and too banal these days, no emotional investment like I do with football and my beloved Melbourne Heart and Sunderland. There's nothing like football.

• Like 2

I moved down from Queensland in 2000 as a 7 year old or whatever and decided to adopt Brisbane as my AFL team as it was apparently big in Melbourne (knew nothing about it, always played junior football). Followed it passionately until the inception of the A-league where I was drawn to the television watching whatever game I could. Now, I couldn't name 10 Brisbane players if I tried, I haven't watched a full game of AFL for about 4 years. I find it too long and too banal these days, no emotional investment like I do with football and my beloved Melbourne Heart and Sunderland. There's nothing like football.

Couldn't agree more! The main reason my interest in AFL is on the decline is not really the price increase and the outrageous food and beverage cost, but it's the rules and subsequent umpiring of the rules that does my head in every week. There are so many rules in the game that are up to umpire interpretation and umpire opinion, which causes the constant inconsistencies in the decisions and subsequent confusion and frustration of the fans. And because the umpires make their decisions based on their interpretation, bias creeps into it where they can make decisions to favour the team that they prefer to see win. I'm convinced this occurs on a regular basis, influencing the outcome of games.

Now I'm not saying that world football doesn't have decisions that influence games, but the rules are black and white in soccer. Sure ref's make mistakes, but they occur far less frequently than in AFL. It's just an all round better sport than aussie rules. 

Anyway, rant over, sorry this was a bit off topic. Great to see the membership count improving drastically on last year. Hope it translates into a greater average crowd attendance. Once again, as I've said before, the first few games are crucial. People who don't intend to go to many games, will most likely come to the first few, so getting wins and playing attractive football is vital to ensure that they transition from being a 1-2 game a season supporter to a full season member. 

Yes, there are some changes from the prices that I wrote down yesterday.

But not across the board.

City Class, Premium A and Premium B are the same.

First Touch has increased, and so have Adult, Concession, Family and Basic Junior in GA, Adult, Concession, Basic Junior and Teen Active.

All changes are very small, and hardly worth bothering about.

Present total: 3874. Will be interesting to watch what happens from here. Numbers are well up on this time last year, and sit at 53% of our final number for last season (7315).

Edited by jw1739

I think its evident that before doing any major advertisement they introduced the price freeze to encourage and lock in all the core members that would otherwise sign up but would be spread out over the pre season, leading into round 1. 

Now they can aim at the fence sitters and potential members/supporters... I think this is a smart marketing ploy, especially with 4,000 already banked members

I think its evident that before doing any major advertisement they introduced the price freeze to encourage and lock in all the core members that would otherwise sign up but would be spread out over the pre season, leading into round 1.

Now they can aim at the fence sitters and potential members/supporters... I think this is a smart marketing ploy, especially with 4,000 already banked members

Nahhh, I'd say the main reason for it is to soften the existing members up over the takeover, and make them feel like a priority. For most hardcore supporters, the day that memberships go on sale is the day that they purchase theirs. So separating the markets isn't really a required tactic, as it happens for the most part naturally already.

As noted, prices have barely even gone up, yet I'm sure there are close to 4000 members currently feeling like they grabbed a massive bargain.

So now existing members feel like their loyalty is paying off, and that the club has done a good deed by them by rewarding them for their support. When in fact, most people have saved around $10, which is fuck all to the club.

Nahhh, I'd say the main reason for it is to soften the existing members up over the takeover, and make them feel like a priority. For most hardcore supporters, the day that memberships go on sale is the day that they purchase theirs. So separating the markets isn't really a required tactic, as it happens for the most part naturally already.

As noted, prices have barely even gone up, yet I'm sure there are close to 4000 members currently feeling like they grabbed a massive bargain.

So now existing members feel like their loyalty is paying off, and that the club has done a good deed by them by rewarding them for their support. When in fact, most people have saved around $10, which is fuck all to the club.

I actually couldn't give a toss why they did it.

Every time someone farts is an excuse in today's world to jack up rates, utilities, food, etc...

So I'm quite appreciative that membership price remained the same.

I say thank you...

• Like 1

I lost track of time. I'm a foundation member, yet to renew my family of 5 mship. I know of 3 other families also yet to renew but are definites like I.

My guess is we will almost get 10k by mid season. Strong results over time will bring more in.

Edited by Pandev

I think its evident that before doing any major advertisement they introduced the price freeze to encourage and lock in all the core members that would otherwise sign up but would be spread out over the pre season, leading into round 1.

The price freeze was done last year, and possibly the year before as well.

The price freeze was done last year, and possibly the year before as well.

Cool...

• Like 1

Dont know if it will make all that much diff if its only for a 10 game guest stint.

Trust me, it will make a massive difference! I have Victory supporter mates who say they'll come to our games because of Lampard. They won't necessarily join up as members, but I'm sure thousands of others will.

Dont know if it will make all that much diff if its only for a 10 game guest stint.

Trust me, it will make a massive difference! I have Victory supporter mates who say they'll come to our games because of Lampard. They won't necessarily join up as members, but I'm sure thousands of others will.

Although to me, Villa is a better footballer than Lampard, Lampard has been a Premier League star for over a decade.  With fox showing all the EPL games live, that makes Lampard a household name.

In terms of bums on seats this is on a par with the signings of Fowler and Del Piero.

4000!

Just wondering how those "outs" are feeling at this minute...is their resolve wavering just a teensy weensy bit?

Lol, they were all on board long ago.

Not everyone! I know this seems a minority view these days, but if you don't like the changes they made to the name and colours, if you don't want to see the team play in a Manchester City shirt, and you don't like the way they ignored the fans when making these decisions, the best thing you can do is not get a membership and tell the club why you're not getting one. For me, it's based on a principle, so no amount of money or marquees can change my view on it.

• Like 1

4000!

Just wondering how those "outs" are feeling at this minute...is their resolve wavering just a teensy weensy bit?

Lol, they were all on board long ago.

Not everyone! I know this seems a minority view these days, but if you don't like the changes they made to the name and colours, if you don't want to see the team play in a Manchester City shirt, and you don't like the way they ignored the fans when making these decisions, the best thing you can do is not get a membership and tell the club why you're not getting one. For me, it's based on a principle, so no amount of money or marquees can change my view on it.

I want to see my Team win, that is why I signed on again and to be truthful another season like last years under Melbourne Heart and that would be more of incentive to not resign, you talk about the club not listening to fans, but be honest how long did it take for them to rid us of John Aloisi, weeks after we had voiced our opinion to do so. Who knows a few extra weeks with Van Schipt in charge and we may have scraped into finals. If you are hurting because we are no longer called heart or our primary colours are no longer red and white then fair enough but don't get up on your high horse and say the club didn't listen to fans because the old club didn't either.

• Like 3