Melbourne Football

2014-15 MEMBERSHIPS

CaNNaVo93

Contemplating getting Ms Carlings a membership, but would be awks if we broke up.

You can get both in your own name. Also handy if she doesn't want to go to a particular match and you want to use the card for someone else. On the occasions that MrsJW doesn't go I have used her card for various mates (but no mistresses of course...).

Except for that one time ;) haha.

But yeah getting a second membership isn't a bad idea, I may consider this when I have more $$$

• Like 1

I wanted to have a look at how many memberships other A-League clubs had sold so far but we're the only one with a counter (so far anyway). Interestingly, half of the teams, including the visitors, haven't even started selling theirs yet. Just seems to be us, Brisbane, Sydney FC, Wellington and Perth. 

Great to see how organised we are this year.

Also wtf is this about:

http://www.ccmariners-memberships.com.au/membership-packag/pet-membership/ 

• Like 1

I'll be signing up along with my dad and cousin before the end of the membership freeze (Friday week, I believe). For existing members, I think that's one of the really important days; there's no real benefit of signing up before then, so it's probably not top of the list of priorities for some (like, getting a new Hyundai with last year's membership deal, for example B)). I think there will be a significant spike the week after next.

Probably already been answered, but what do you get for a new sign-up nominating you as their 'recruiter'?

I wanted to have a look at how many memberships other A-League clubs had sold so far but we're the only one with a counter (so far anyway). Interestingly, half of the teams, including the visitors, haven't even started selling theirs yet. Just seems to be us, Brisbane, Sydney FC, Wellington and Perth. 

Also wtf is this about:

I'm not sure how many people it is a consideration for (it hasn't been for me, personally), but it's conceivable that people might decide to sign/not sign/sign on a different membership based on the home fixture we get. I think that's a big consideration for a lot of AFL members, say, for example, Geelong members, based on when the Melbourne home games are and how many night games are in Geelong. Like I said, it's not the difference between signing and not signing for me, but I really don't enjoy those Sunday games (play basketball that night).

Pet memberships: that's another bone of contention with AFL people. You pay bugger all for your pet to get a collar in club colours or something and they add one to the membership tally. If the HAL is allowing that sort of stuff, fine (it all helps the club, after all), but you have to take the membership numbers as strictly a marketing tool (something to spruik to potential sponsors etc.), hardly a genuine indicator of revenue generated through memberships, since a member could be paying $30 or $700+ and they'd still only count as '1' on the tally.

Pet memberships: that's another bone of contention with AFL people. You pay bugger all for your pet to get a collar in club colours or something and they add one to the membership tally. If the HAL is allowing that sort of stuff, fine (it all helps the club, after all), but you have to take the membership numbers as strictly a marketing tool (something to spruik to potential sponsors etc.), hardly a genuine indicator of revenue generated through memberships, since a member could be paying $30 or $700+ and they'd still only count as '1' on the tally.

Surely they don't count pet 'memberships' in their tally, do they?! 

Also wtf is this about:

I'm not sure how many people it is a consideration for (it hasn't been for me, personally), but it's conceivable that people might decide to sign/not sign/sign on a different membership based on the home fixture we get. I think that's a big consideration for a lot of AFL members, say, for example, Geelong members, based on when the Melbourne home games are and how many night games are in Geelong. Like I said, it's not the difference between signing and not signing for me, but I really don't enjoy those Sunday games (play basketball that night).

The thing is different times suit different people.  Personally I don't like Friday evening games and weekend arvo games are certainly better for families.   In the end no matter what the draw is someone will be disadvantaged by it.

• Like 1

Memberships Update:

14 June 2013-  1243

14 June 2014-  1691

I am pretty sure Memberships opened on the same Day in 2013 and 2014, 5 June .

Therefore daily average signups  way ahead of last year, 36% in fact.

If this persisted for the season might approach 10,000!

I guess that any club that have been regarded as perennial underachievers and a good bet for finishing last every season might see an improvement if suddenly there´s a buzz around the club which is nice and proper.. But in the end what happens on the pitch will be what decides how big we can get

It's not clear to me what sort of advertising the club is doing at the moment to gain new members? Any at all? I would have guessed that most of the increase over last season is therefore mainly due to a lower churn rate - that is more of last season's members are committing to next season - rather than actual new members? There was a bit of a buzz when Villa and Duff were announced, but that died down pretty quickly.

The numbers are encouraging, but I'm not sure yet that they indicate that we're going to reach a significantly higher overall total.

It's not clear to me what sort of advertising the club is doing at the moment to gain new members? Any at all? I would have guessed that most of the increase over last season is therefore mainly due to a lower churn rate - that is more of last season's members are committing to next season - rather than actual new members? There was a bit of a buzz when Villa and Duff were announced, but that died down pretty quickly.

The numbers are encouraging, but I'm not sure yet that they indicate that we're going to reach a significantly higher overall total.

I'm not sure about traditional media but they are advertising on their Twitter feed and Facebook feed

A good point made

I am still undecided TBH

A higher overall total is a higher overall total none the less.

that really makes no sense whatsoever but the thing is I know what im talking about

Surely they don't count pet 'memberships' in their tally, do they?! 

As far as I'm aware, if you sign up (or have been signed up by someone else) for an AFL club, whether you're an animal, an infant, or never going to go to a game, you're counted. I can only assume the HAL clubs work the same way.

Also wtf is this about:

The thing is different times suit different people.  Personally I don't like Friday evening games and weekend arvo games are certainly better for families.   In the end no matter what the draw is someone will be disadvantaged by it.

Yeah, Friday evening games are sometimes a bit tough, but I guess the flip side of it is if the boys have a win, it puts a spring in my step for the rest of the weekend. Agree that Saturday arvo is probably my preferred time.

It's similar with an AFL club like Geelong (my team). With a lot of members that live in Melbourne, the night home games in Geelong and Melbourne (particularly Friday night) will always be unpopular with the supporters that are obliged to travel, but the flip side to that is that the supporters who live in that city can make it to the games, when they otherwise might not have been able to, say for a Saturday night game, when they play football, or support a local team during the day. Swings and roundabouts everywhere and it would be a bit of trial and error for Geelong, which has had a major facelift to its home ground, along with Melbourne City, who would be expected to enjoy unprecedented support and success in 2014/15.

Edited by SF33

As an outsider also, what is the figure to beat to become the club with the highest membership figures in the league?

Victory had 22,591 in 07/08. AFAIK that's the highest in any season. 

Last season they had 22,021, which I think was the highest that season too. Ours was 7,315 last season, so a long way off having the highest figures in the league.

As some others have suggested, 10,000 would be brilliant for the upcoming season. 

As an outsider..I know that there have been ethnic divides between clubs now and then but in todays Melbourne is there areas dominated by fans of either Victory or Heart?

Not really, as far as I know. Melbourne is a fairly centralised city so it doesn't lend itself to having fans grouped like that (unlike Sydney). I think I remember hearing that quite a few of our fans are from the south eastern suburbs, but that's a big area in Melbourne so not sure you could read much into it (could just be colloration).

I guess Victory are hoping to get in with the population of Geelong (a city right near Melbourne, in the south west, further around Port Phillip Bay) by playing a game down there, will have to wait and see how that goes/if they persist with it.

• Like 1

Cheers.. I got curious because some journo mentioned that Heart had a "north Melbourne" flavour, don´t ask me what he meant by that :huh:

Perhaps he got confused as the team trains in the relative North of Melbourne.

Interesting, people tend to support the club playing in the stadium closest to them.. but if teams share a stadium it´s often a geographical divide nevertheless like for instance in Rome where Lazio fans tend to come from areas surrounding the city itself.

As an outsider also, what is the figure to beat to become the club with the highest membership figures in the league?

Victory had 22,591 in 07/08. AFAIK that's the highest in any season. 

Last season they had 22,021, which I think was the highest that season too. Ours was 7,315 last season, so a long way off having the highest figures in the league.

As some others have suggested, 10,000 would be brilliant for the upcoming season. 

IMO all these "membership" numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt, as I'm not convinced that clubs are all counting the same thing. For example, ours include "limited game" memberships, but do the other clubs include these? And, as per another poster, I'd be somewhat cynical if I found that we were counting pet memberships.

Aside from these considerations, agree that 10,000 would indeed be a sound achievement for 2014-15.

Edited by jw1739

Interesting, people tend to support the club playing in the stadium closest to them.. but if teams share a stadium it´s often a geographical divide nevertheless like for instance in Rome where Lazio fans tend to come from areas surrounding the city itself.

Possibly part of the reason for the lack of a geographic area is the relatively short history of both clubs (and also maybe because when Victory entered the competition there was only one team to support in Melbourne, so people just came from whereever and never concentrated somewhere to begin with?) Having said that, Sydney does have a divide so the lack of one is clearly also related to the geography/character of Melbourne.

I think once we have a marquee signed on for the season we will probably see some sort of billboard in a well know area around the city with them on it and it will step up a few notches following that. They wouldn't be able to do that with David Villa as he is here for 10 games only.