Melbourne Football

David Villa

kingofhearts

One of the big questions for me about tonight's debacle is why on earth, with City needing a win, and Villa playing his likely last match for us, why not play him as our central striker instead of the invisible Mate Dugandzic?

Quite frankly, just another unfathomable management decision by JvS.

• Like 4

One of the big questions for me about tonight's debacle is why on earth, with City needing a win, and Villa playing his likely last match for us, why not play him as our central striker instead of the invisible Mate Dugandzic?

Yeah it would have made a tonne of sense, he couldn't create much in the position he was in. Too far out.

All I can think is that he has played on the left for Spain and also for Atletico, perhaps that's where he has preferred to play here.

• Like 1

although he left the ground straight after the game and can be interpreted as negative body language, I think it shows that he cares about the teams performance although he may have left some young kids hanging for some autographs

Yeah look your just a f*cking idiot. How the hell can you honestly try to interpret him walking of the ground as soon as he can as caring for the teams performance 

• Like 1

The amount of times Villa was free wide on the left and didn't receive it was unbelievable.. I don't think Paartulu passed the ball once to him all game, Mooy maybe twice... Villa is not the problem but for some reason some players refused to pass the ball to him..

The amount of times Villa was free wide on the left and didn't receive it was unbelievable.. I don't think Paartulu passed the ball once to him all game, Mooy maybe twice... Villa is not the problem but for some reason some players refused to pass the ball to him..

they didnt refuse to pass the ball to him, they just lack the fucking vision and skill to ping the ball to him. He has no service, we're shit!

• Like 3

although he left the ground straight after the game and can be interpreted as negative body language, I think it shows that he cares about the teams performance although he may have left some young kids hanging for some autographs

Yeah look your just a f*cking idiot. How the hell can you honestly try to interpret him walking of the ground as soon as he can as caring for the teams performance 

well id be more disappointed/ questioning his intentions if he stayed on the field all happy and chirpy after a disappointing night. He should feel disappointed in the team after that performance and he clearly was. I just think it was incredibly harsh that in the wash up from the derby fans were criticising him for storming into the change rooms like he should do a lap of honour after a 5-2 drubbing

Thanks for coming. Seriously. Will remember being in Sydney when he scored and shut the stadium up and Melbourne boys took over. Will remember the following week taking my 3yr old girl to her first game and seeing him score. Good moment. Ok results wise not good with him here. But to have him here was good. Thanks dave. Now you can be with your family and hopefully your visit will encourage more players to come.

How dare he walk straight off the pitch sulking like a little baby. He did it in the World Cup when subbed off - and yesterday was no different.

The least he could have done was stay back and wave to the fans and walk around the pitch - at the least just for the kids! The poor kids with Villa tops etc got to see a grown man take his shirt off in the tunnel.  Very Professional.

His behaviour is clearly not that of the City Group.  You would never get Lampard behaving like a brat.

Respect the fans Villa.

Best of luck to New York - I'm just glad he is not at Melb anymore.  Now we might be able to play with 11 men.

Everyone laments the lack of service, to be fair he didn't make much happen when he had the ball either. One moment where he beat a couple of men (assisted via a lucky deflection also) then proceeded to shoot from an angle where he should have passed from? He also lost the ball down the wing several times and was caught offside several times then refused to get back behind the play and pressure their back 4. Facts are he didn't really put a proper shift in even in the games when he did score, and for that my memories of his guest stint are largely negative. Not staying back to atleast farewell the supporters who he is bailing on after 4 to be fair pretty average games by his standard? I won't miss him.

• Like 2

People need to get off his back.

I actually think he came here as a proud footballer, and as he said, to help the team WIN games. 

He didn't do that, was pissed off that he was made to look shit by players who cannot play at his level, and understandably walked off the ground like he did.

And IMO he behaved the same way at the WC because when he did play he showed how good he could have been fpr Spain and that his coach erred in not playing him.  Spain's performances conformed that.

• Like 1

And IMO he behaved the same way at the WC because when he did play he showed how good he could have been fpr Spain and that his coach erred in not playing him.  Spain's performances conformed that.

Spain did not progress past the group stages because Villa didnt play! Vila was lucky to even be in the squad. He barely played for Athletico that season.

Spain did not progress past the group stages because Villa didnt play! Vila was lucky to even be in the squad. He barely played for Athletico that season.

And he was MOM when he did play.

That's why Athletic had no complaints when he signed for New York.

2 Points off top.

36 Appearances for 13 goals. 

your-argument-is-invalid.jpg

• Like 1

How many did he start - and how many were from multiple goals in a game. How many were from open play?

I say it again - with that record why were Athletic not disappointed to let him go?

Why was Villa so happy to leave a championship club to come to the A-League?

When your times up its up.

Why are some people justifying this blokes behaviour? He has put zero effort in whilst here, stromped down the tunnel after games without thanking fans, never put a shift in, rocked up 4 days before the season started and is leaving 4 games into a 10 game stint?

Are people here Melbourne City supporters or David Villa supporters? His whole display has been fucking shameful, theres kids in the crowd with David Villa on the back of their tops, for 4 fucking games and he can't even go shake their hands or give them a high 5? Theres nothing to justify, he was a flop. Simple.

• Like 1

How many did he start - and how many were from multiple goals in a game. How many were from open play?

I say it again - with that record why were Athletic not disappointed to let him go?

Why was Villa so happy to leave a championship club to come to the A-League?

When your times up its up.

He started 32 of those games and came on as a substitute in 4 others for a team that won La Liga, beating Real Madrid & Barcelona. 

Villa left Atletico, they had offered him a contract. But at 32 the Mega bucks the CFG were offering and the opportunity to live and play in New York, he would've been crazy to turn it down having achieved pretty much everything in his career.

Edited by mus-28
  • Like 2

Why are some people justifying this blokes behaviour? He has put zero effort in whilst here, stromped down the tunnel after games without thanking fans, never put a shift in, rocked up 4 days before the season started and is leaving 4 games into a 10 game stint?

Are people here Melbourne City supporters or David Villa supporters? His whole display has been fucking shameful, theres kids in the crowd with David Villa on the back of their tops, for 4 fucking games and he can't even go shake their hands or give them a high 5? Theres nothing to justify, he was a flop. Simple.

It sounds to me that you're judging whether or not he was a flop on whether he played to the crowds or not. Is that a decision borne from logic or from the emotions of a string of poor games? Goodness knows I've been around on forums long enough to see people make very dubious claims because they're hurting after a defeat and this is pretty minor compared to half of what I've read before, but do you really think that the difference between being a flop and being a roaring success is that you come over and mix with the fans? Remember, on top of everything else, that Villa is something of an introverted personality - he strikes me as the kind of person who is ill at ease with his fame and doesn't really like having to play to the crowds. Does that really mean he's done nothing for Melbourne City?

• Like 4

It sounds to me that you're judging whether or not he was a flop on whether he played to the crowds or not. Is that a decision borne from logic or from the emotions of a string of poor games? Goodness knows I've been around on forums long enough to see people make very dubious claims because they're hurting after a defeat and this is pretty minor compared to half of what I've read before, but do you really think that the difference between being a flop and being a roaring success is that you come over and mix with the fans? Remember, on top of everything else, that Villa is something of an introverted personality - he strikes me as the kind of person who is ill at ease with his fame and doesn't really like having to play to the crowds. Does that really mean he's done nothing for Melbourne City?

Flopped on the field aswell, the 2 goals aside he was largely invisible in every game. His defensive work rate is just about as bad as i've seen from a player playing at such a high level. He made the club look very amateur through his stint which i'll agree is largely fault of our own but I just think his general attitude has lacked class.

i'm actually embarrassed with how the team performed while he was here. I would prefer if he didn't come back, a player of his quality doesn't deserve this shit

Good call, I’m embarrassed too.

If any other club in the A-league had the privilege of David Villa come into their team on a stint they would get more out of him than we did. They would probably revolve a whole game plan around him.

Our players shouldn’t be scared that he is going to walk in & take all the glory but instead try get the most out of him to WIN MATCHES.

There is a bad moral / attitude in our club & I’m pointing the finger at JVS. Let’s cut our losses with this dick so he can go spend more time at the salon.

I'm embarrassed that our culture is such that we were prepared to have him turn up just a few days before the first game of the season instead of training for weeks with our players so that our players got to know how to play with Villa and Villa with us. So much for being a team. Doubt someone like Graham Arnold would have tolerated something like that.

• Like 3

It sounds to me that you're judging whether or not he was a flop on whether he played to the crowds or not. Is that a decision borne from logic or from the emotions of a string of poor games? Goodness knows I've been around on forums long enough to see people make very dubious claims because they're hurting after a defeat and this is pretty minor compared to half of what I've read before, but do you really think that the difference between being a flop and being a roaring success is that you come over and mix with the fans? Remember, on top of everything else, that Villa is something of an introverted personality - he strikes me as the kind of person who is ill at ease with his fame and doesn't really like having to play to the crowds. Does that really mean he's done nothing for Melbourne City? Flopped on the field aswell, the 2 goals aside he was largely invisible in every game. His defensive work rate is just about as bad as i've seen from a player playing at such a high level. He made the club look very amateur through his stint which i'll agree is largely fault of our own but I just think his general attitude has lacked class.

Bottom line we have our only two points because of this bloke, also I see murdocca running around like crazy and guess what he is useless so arguing his not putting enough effort in on the pitch is pointless considering the 10 other players we have are just as useless whether they show effort or not. Time to get off his back he has done this club a favour by agreeing to come here and play in a guess stint his promotional use has been brilliant. If only the rest of the team could have produced some positive results then the full extent of his promotional use would have come into effect.

I'm embarrassed that our culture is such that we were prepared to have him turn up just a few days before the first game of the season instead of training for weeks with our players so that our players got to know how to play with Villa and Villa with us. So much for being a team. Doubt someone like Graham Arnold would have tolerated something like that.

A little birdy from inside the club made mention that he basically just did what he wanted while he was here. If thats the way we are going to manage our big name loan players, then we got big problems. No one is bigger than the team I don't care who you are, if your not here for the cause, bugger off!

Club management should be controlling this sort of thing. I'm here to support a team to hopefully get wins and take home trophies, I'm also here for all the losses and the hard times because I'm a faithful supporter and those times are a part of football. I'm not here to see some self rightious rich guy float in and out of the joint like its some preseaon holiday camp.

I won't miss him under the circumstances, but more worrying is whether the club has learnt from this and will they have a harder line approach in future.

He is a football predator and as such not the bloke I expected to see running all over the place. Sure it didn't look great a few times seeing him not track back, but on the other hand he saved us in two games and always looked dangerous the times he had the ball.

I stayed behind with the kids last night hoping to see him, so was disappointed he didn't come around.. but neither did most of the team and considering the deflation of the performance, you can understand why they didn't.

For all you however that think he doesn't give a toss and has already pissed off; well he trained fully with the rest of the team this morning. He then came by and met us and took a photo with my two kids. A memory they will always have.

We are miles away from the bustle of European football, so I will forever be grateful having the opportunity to see this great of the game play in the flesh. Despite that it may not go down as a success, it's something I will always treasure.

He is a football predator and as such not the bloke I expected to see running all over the place. Sure it didn't look great a few times seeing him not track back, but on the other hand he saved us in two games and always looked dangerous the times he had the ball.

I stayed behind with the kids last night hoping to see him, so was disappointed he didn't come around.. but neither did most of the team and considering the deflation of the performance, you can understand why they didn't.

For all you however that think he doesn't give a toss and has already pissed off; well he trained fully with the rest of the team this morning. He then came by and met us and took a photo with my two kids. A memory they will always have.

We are miles away from the bustle of European football, so I will forever be grateful having the opportunity to see this great of the game play in the flesh. Despite that it may not go down as a success, it's something I will always treasure.

Indeed.  I like to see strikers work hard, but when they are Villa's class I am more tolerant.  I thought he was great vs Adelaide BTW.  A threat all night, (when his numpty team mates decided to play him in).

Basically I think the club was at fault here.  Because they are a branch office of a bigger organisation they are just forced to toe the line BUT from a football perspective having Villa for a few days before the first game and then him only staying for 4 games was never going to work.  Ok class players don't need long - but what about his non-class slow learner team mates? 

Edited by Shahanga

Flopped on the field aswell, the 2 goals aside he was largely invisible in every game. His defensive work rate is just about as bad as i've seen from a player playing at such a high level. He made the club look very amateur through his stint which i'll agree is largely fault of our own but I just think his general attitude has lacked class.

He's a player who needs service. He didn't get any of it from Melbourne City, except from Damien Duff a couple of times. Sure, I'm not arguing that he should go down as an all-time club legend, but he's not the kind of player who can carry a team by himself, and he's come off the back of a long pre-season where he has surely gotten out of match fitness, and where he didn't have the time to adjust to his teammates' styles of play.

That's why Athletic had no complaints when he signed for New York.

2 Points off top.

sorry for being pedantic but its Athletic Bilbao and Atletico Madrid