Melbourne Football

Match day 27: vs West Sydney @ AAMI Park, Saturday 12th of April, 5:30pm

cadete

While it will be good send off Harry well, the player I'll be watching most closely tomorrow is Mooy. I'm all for looking forward and it will be really interesting to see up close what qualities he will bring to us next year. Given all of the problems with our midfield over the years, the idea of Mauk working with this guy next year is pretty exciting not to mention we'll more than likely be acquiring marquee or visa reinforcements as well. The future looks bright. He has my permission to hit the crossbar as many times as he likes without scoring - but no more.

• Like 1

Kewell takes final bow for Heart

Ben McKay

April 11, 2014

One of the most decorated careers in Australian football comes to an end as Harry Kewell plays his final match on Saturday.

Kewell will captain Melbourne Heart to a crunch final A-League round fixture against his home-town side, Western Sydney Wanderers.

And perhaps fittingly, Kewell has fought through an injury scare to declare himself fit.

Kewell's career has featured more injuries than a game of Operation and hasn't played for three weeks with a rib injury.

But nothing was going to stop the former Socceroo, Liverpool and Leeds forward from finishing on a high.

"I was always going to go out there. With all the stuff that I've played through the whole career it wasn't going to stop me for my last game," he said.

"What a way to end, at home playing in front of my home crowd, playing against my home town, I don't think you can beat that."

Coach John van `t Schip seems in no mood to play party pooper, saying it was up to Kewell how much game-time he got.

"I'll be out there the whole game then!" Kewell declared.

Kewell admitted to being "excited, a little bit nervous, a little bit anxious" for his last match, which has huge ramification for the final league standing.

The Wanderers need to win to secure free passage to the second week of the finals, while the Heart must claim victory if they are to have any chance of avoiding the wooden spoon.

Greeting Kewell will be an expected bumper crowd, boosted by hundreds of travelling Wanderers fans.

They will be hoping the Wanderers can seize their chance to book a home play-off for the grand final with a win.

Anything less would throw them into a do-or-die final next week which could be on the road.

Aside from the finals ramifications, the match feels like the end of an era ahead of Heart's off-season revival by new Manchester City owners.

A new playing group, colours and name are expected through Heart's doors in the coming months but it seems many decisions are yet to be made - including the future of marquee Orlando Engelaar.

Van `t Schip said key decisions about that would be made in Manchester from next week when

he travels there.

He admitted disappointment in not continuing on four straight victories to charge into the finals but for now, it's about one last match.

"We have a lot to play for, for the fans our last home game and not to finish last," he said.

"It's a game for the future. A lot of the players playing tomorrow will be players for the coming season."

If the crowd matches the reception that Kewell received from his teammates - a round of applause taking the training ground for the last time - it will be an occasion to remember.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/22554060/kewell-takes-final-bow-for-heart/

34ebzp4.jpg

Edited by Murfy1

So a Mauk Orlando and Germano midfield then

Really hope next season JVS can incorporate Mauk and garrucio as permanent starters next season. So much potential.

Probably going to work garruucio at left back in the pre season hard

Benny look likes a good footballer to me, but at present, to be blunt, he's not a left back's backside.

He needs a lot of work before he's even A League standard in that position.  To be frank I wonder if its worth the effort.  I'd rather play him at left wing and look elsewhere for a left back solution.  Make Ramsay fight for his spot.

Early leaves HK to start. AB and MM both dropped.

What will the tea leaves do during the off-season? Will you be able to give us some news about signings and other rumours at the club?

I wouldn't expect any more "tea leaves" next season.

• Like 1

Gotta say I'm pretty dissapointed to see our games record holder and club legend is starting on the bench in what is most likely his last game for the Heart when a bloke who's played a handful of games for us gets an enormous hero's send off.

Edited by GreenSeater

I hope that Kewell gets a top class send off. If it's perceived that the Keep The Red And White campaign overshadows his farewell match, then media articles could call supporters and the campaign 'selfish' or perhaps 'disrespectful', and that chatter wouldn't do the campaign any favours.

At the very least effectively everyone has to stand up and give Kewell a rapturous applause when he's subbed off.

I don't think it'll end up being an issue, though, and it should be a great match of football to attend.

I hope that Kewell gets a top class send off. If it's perceived that the Keep The Red And White campaign overshadows his farewell match, then media articles could call supporters and the campaign 'selfish' or perhaps 'disrespectful', and that chatter wouldn't do the campaign any favours.

At the very least effectively everyone has to stand up and give Kewell a rapturous applause when he's subbed off.

I don't think it'll end up being an issue, though, and it should be a great match of football to attend.

Agree.  Lets give him a regal stand off.

What a player he was.  Put Australia on the football map.

For those who haven't figured it out its not about how many games he played for Heart- its what he did for Australian football.  I'm sure Aziz Behich would have no problem with that.

• Like 1

A proper send off would be more fitting for the last socceroos match in sydney before the wc.

He really hasnt done much for our club.

National team hero? Yes.

Heart hero? Fuck outta here.

The club is bigger than any individual hence why I believe the keep our colours campaign should take precedence over a final career game of a football mercenary.

Heading off to the game with lots of red and white, including a new jersey (jeez, they really do mean slim fit).

As for the match, I think there are good reasons for optimism. WSW have faded away in the second half of the season, and I'm pretty sure they have been much worse away from home lately as well. Also, I don't think playing for 2nd place is as powerful a motivator as lots of pundits have assumed (look at Adelaide yesterday. Also, I'm not sure 2nd place gets an ACL spot).

The Heart players have lots of reasons to be up for this match, and even though I think a win is pretty possible, I'll just be happy if the players really put in the effort and put pride in the shirt.

Come on you boys in Red!!