Melbourne Football

Matchday 26: vs Adelaide United @ Coopers Stadium, Friday 4th of April, 7:30pm (8:30am GMT)

GreenSeater

These are not tactics these are game strategies only, and the problem with this shit approach is that once something significant happens like the send off, players don't no what to do... JVS a half time team talk is not fucking good enough.. Sort out the fucking tactics or fuck off..

Have a look at the players we have and cut the fat we don't need. Make the hard decisions or the supporters will turn on you.

Honeymoon well and truly over... It's time to start working.!!!!

The replacement of Engelaar with Kalmar is a good example of how thin on the ground our team is. Went from having a strong presence in the midfield to fcuk all. Kalmar is slow, turns like the Titanic, passes backwards. Same with Ramsay on for Mauk. Our team doesn't have the depth of players to cut it against the top few teams. Need half a dozen new players for next season.
  • Like 1

I fucking knew it! I could see this coming from half-time for fuck sake ...

I'm giving this club 5 games of the new season next year... FUCKING GET IT RIGHT or I'm fucking off ... Sick of this shit...

Week in week out... How do we go from 6 straight wins to this shit..

Fuck off back to Visitors then .... 

You choose a Football team - you stick to your Football team - no matter what It's fuck heads like you that helped create this sub standard mentality that has crippled our club.. Lift your fucking standards and put pressure on this club if you really want to see this club succeed. This take over is our clubs last chance if they fuck this up club is gone..

There's not accepting mediocrity, and then there's being a fair-weather fan who disappears when the going gets tough.

We could lose 100 games but I'd still be Heart.

• Like 4

As great as Engelaar is, we need a midfield presence for 90 minutes each week. A guy in there who wants to win at all costs, Someone who's barking orders for 90 minutes, someone who's prepared to fire a rocket up a team mate when they're walking against 10 men and most of all someone who will help change the shit attitude that our team has a majority of the time.

• Like 1

For me, I think JVS has let us down, we played in a very attacking and aggressive manner, and it was a brilliant game, we were playing well, we were winning. But why we were still playing so aggressively with a 1 goal lead and only minutes left, I dont understand. Should have tightened it up and not given them a sniff.

Also the substitutions were poor, as soon as Mauk, and to a lesser extent Behich, came off our performance dropped. They probably came off as they aren't particularly fit for a full 90, given Mauk has been off the bench most season and Behich has missed some games, but they still seemed to be going alright to me. Surely keeping them on couldnt have been any worse. Or at least bring on a more defensive player like Gerhardt to see out the game, ffs.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

As they said on Foxsports apparently 14 players have re-signed and ManCity will fill the rest. Can anyone confirm if this is correct.

We need a lot of work in the off season.. After speaking with David Devutavic, ManCity want to make an instant impact... They are going to have to sign real quality (A Grade Quality) to make any sort of impact.

As great as Engelaar is, we need a midfield presence for 90 minutes each week. A guy in there who wants to win at all costs, Someone who's barking orders for 90 minutes, someone who's prepared to fire a rocket up a team mate when they're walking against 10 men and most of all someone who will help change the shit attitude that our team has a majority of the time.

To be fair to him, he's missed half a season with a broken leg, missed a preseason and isn't fully fit. I hope that we can fit him under the salary cap and that he has a full preseason. He'll be amazing in a team where he isn't the only player who can think and also pass the ball properly.

Fucking hell I am so pissed off.

when the pressure rises we never rise with it. It's just a matter of hoping the clock stops before we do.

That was always going to be a fucking draw, and Murdocca's turnover was disgraceful considering he had Kalmar as the easiest first time pass of the match.

FUCK.

And we had to let those fucking whingeing self entitled arseholes from the shithole that is Adelaide get the "moral victory" after complaining for the entire match about how dirty we were when they were rolling halfway down the pitch. They were throwing themselves in every direction if we so much looked at them and crying murder as they did so.

I was indifferent to Adelaide prior to this, now they can go fuck themselves.

That was bullshit, but oh so typical of Heart.

Fuckers.

• Like 1

Don't understand why people are surprised, watching this game with my Dad and we were having bets on what minute we would concede an equalizer, was so close with the 89th minute my bet.

Game just sums up our whole season. Not mentally tough enough to be successful

There's a fair bit of merit to this - a panicked frenzy at the end. But what is obvious to me and has been obvious all year is that there is no leader or general in our team and this should be a recruiting priority. I'm talking about a character supremely confident in their ability, calm in a crisis, and with the ability to drag, pull or cajole more timid people or lesser characters along for the fight. This is a contact sport where aggression and the image of not giving up or being stepped on is powerful. Sheer will can get you a long way. Characters like Roy Keane, Patrick Viera, Yaya Toure at City, Cameron Smith at Storm, even (at the risk of abuse) Muscat when he played at Victory. They all exude(d) a "don't fuck with us" demeanour and never ever gave up. If you aren't performing on their team you'd get a spray or cajoled to get better and keep pushing. Kewell has shown glimpses (sometime whiny) but isn't on the park enough.

City, find us a general. There's enough ability, just no steel. We just looked rudderless when the crunch inevitably came.

Great post, the closest we've ever had to a general on the field is Orlando, and as HEARTinator was saying, as soon as he went off we lost our presence on the field. We got dominated in the midfield after half time, with Nick 'the titanic' Kalmar having little to no effect on the team.

While its great to see all the passion showed by heart fans on here, people need to remember that these last 3 games are simply try-outs for who will be signed for next season, as well as giving the youth a go to see what they are made of. We've been able to learn that:

-Mauk is fucking awesome

-Garrucio is not a LB

-Velaphi is no better than redders.

Keep the faith heart fans. Next season will be better

• Like 2

I'm giving this club 5 games of the new season next year... FUCKING GET IT RIGHT or I'm fucking off ... Sick of this shit...

You choose a Football team - you stick to your Football team - no matter what It's fuck heads like you that helped create this sub standard mentality that has crippled our club.. Lift your fucking standards and put pressure on this club if you really want to see this club succeed. This take over is our clubs last chance if they fuck this up club is gone..

There's not accepting mediocrity, and then there's being a fair-weather fan who disappears when the going gets tough.

We could lose 100 games but I'd still be Heart. Yeah that's why I buy my membership year in year out... Talking to a foundation member here buddy. What people need to understand is that this is not the AFL it's not that culture that exist in world football. After the Aloisi experiment this club was on its knees. If not for the takeover were would we be? I guarantee you we would have less than 2000 people at our home games and club would fold.

I live and breath this club, but after 3yrs of nothing what do you expect. ManCity has saved our club make no mistake about that and we as supporters have accepted that.. I hope they do the right thing by our club and us as supporters and after this shit season we all deserve success.... it's about time.

• Like 1

Great post, the closest we've ever had to a general on the field is Orlando, and as HEARTinator was saying, as soon as he went off we lost our presence on the field. We got dominated in the midfield after half time, with Nick 'the titanic' Kalmar having little to no effect on the team.

There's a fair bit of merit to this - a panicked frenzy at the end. But what is obvious to me and has been obvious all year is that there is no leader or general in our team and this should be a recruiting priority. I'm talking about a character supremely confident in their ability, calm in a crisis, and with the ability to drag, pull or cajole more timid people or lesser characters along for the fight. This is a contact sport where aggression and the image of not giving up or being stepped on is powerful. Sheer will can get you a long way. Characters like Roy Keane, Patrick Viera, Yaya Toure at City, Cameron Smith at Storm, even (at the risk of abuse) Muscat when he played at Victory. They all exude(d) a "don't fuck with us" demeanour and never ever gave up. If you aren't performing on their team you'd get a spray or cajoled to get better and keep pushing. Kewell has shown glimpses (sometime whiny) but isn't on the park enough.

City, find us a general. There's enough ability, just no steel. We just looked rudderless when the crunch inevitably came.

While its great to see all the passion showed by heart fans on here, people need to remember that these last 3 games are simply try-outs for who will be signed for next season, as well as giving the youth a go to see what they are made of. We've been able to learn that:

-Mauk is fucking awesome

-Garrucio is not a LB

There's obviously a lot of pragmatism in what you're saying, but my problem with that is that you would assume this team would be treating every potential win - and particularly an away win - like gold. Yeah, we broke the curse against Wellington, but away wins have been as rare as rocking horse shit for this club and yet they continue to piss away winning positions. Shouldn't they be cherishing the opportunity to take three points on another team's home deck, instead of looking like they're falling asleep, despite a similar scenario happening umpteen times in the past couple of years.

Two points from the last five games, including three where the opposition was down to 10 men. It's not good enough and it says a lot about the character of these players. For an experienced A-League premiership player like Murdocca to be almost solely responsible for the lead being coughed up makes it even more galling. The bloke's been playing in the A-League since it started; I don't think it's an issue with experience.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 2

Don't understand why people are surprised, watching this game with my Dad and we were having bets on what minute we would concede an equalizer, was so close with the 89th minute my bet.

Game just sums up our whole season. Not mentally tough enough to be successful

-Mauk is fucking awesome

-Garrucio is not a LB

I understand your point, but I don't think you ask the paying Heart member to see experimentation on the A-League field for what is 10% of the season. If he doesn't know by now the inadequacies of the various players we have then JvS shouldn't be a professional football coach. Besides, it's not as if these sorts of performances are once in a while - it's every week, and this is the fourth season in a row. If we can see it then why cannot the club hierarchy?

Like others, I cannot believe that we are seeing these tactics from a newly-reappointed coach, nor such abjectly incompetent performances from professional footballers. Other than Mauk and Garuccio I couldn't see any of our other players today getting a gig with another A-League club. And I'm afraid that JvS has had long enough to get a grip on things and he does not seem to be able to do so.

It's not just a message about colours and name that we have to give. If CFG get those decisions wrong we will lose a few fans, but keep going on like this throwing matches away will do far more damage to the future prospects of our club.

Tonight was not good enough. This season was not good enough. Our squad is not good enough. Our tactics are not good enough. Our psychological preparation is not good enough. It's time to get that message across loud and clear.

You choose a Football team - you stick to your Football team - no matter what It's fuck heads like you that helped create this sub standard mentality that has crippled our club.. Lift your fucking standards and put pressure on this club if you really want to see this club succeed. This take over is our clubs last chance if they fuck this up club is gone.. There's not accepting mediocrity, and then there's being a fair-weather fan who disappears when the going gets tough.

We could lose 100 games but I'd still be Heart. Yeah that's why I buy my membership year in year out... Talking to a foundation member here buddy. What people need to understand is that this is not the AFL it's not that culture that exist in world football. After the Aloisi experiment this club was on its knees. If not for the takeover were would we be? I guarantee you we would have less than 2000 people at our home games and club would fold.

I live and breath this club, but after 3yrs of nothing what do you expect. ManCity has saved our club make no mistake about that and we as supporters have accepted that.. I hope they do the right thing by our club and us as supporters and after this shit season we all deserve success.... it's about time.

We can all attempt to predict what may happen if this and that ... 

But if ya prepared to walk away after 5 games of shit = yes you are a fair weather supporter .

having red your comments, that like me you are a foundation member, then i doubt that you really will walk away eh, probably just blowing off from the frustration of another shite performance i would wager.

For me as a foundation Member and never missed a game in Victoria + Thousands of $$$ spent on travelling to away games, i also welcome the Citeh take over and look forward to the future - But not at the cost of our Name change and Colour change.

Keep The Heart - Keep The Colours = Keep The Fans 

• Like 1

Thought we played well in the first half, great one touch football. No comment about the first goal, I think the boys minds were left in the dressing rooms before they came out. First half highlights were duga and Hoffman combining well on the right wing which caused a lot of problems for them. Those blaming jvs do you honestly think he actually instructed them to play the way they did? More often than not it's the players that don't execute the game plan not the coach, and I think this game is a perfect example of this. Comments against Hoffman are nothing short of embarrassing, at least be fair and reasonable and blame the players that do the actual fucking up...murdocca. Williams penalties were both shit, at least a metre from the side netting, first one lucky the keeper guessed wrong. Mauk was great, again I'll say if this kid doesn't become a socceroo it's a massive massive failure. Great to see mate convert a goal though. Overall the game was a train wreck though with the fouls and sendings off, but at the same time very entertaining.

Nice posting there KingofHearts. I see you like me are taking the medium to long term viewpoint. Am I disappointed about the result? Sure I am but there have been positives out of the last few games. Sure we still have some issues but we have the opportunity to sign another 11 players including 2 marquees to help solve these problems. That's a whole fucking team.

As for those saying only Mauk would get a game at other teams the fox sports guys had Mate as best on. Not far off for mine. He fucked one good chance and buried another. Was great down the wing. Hoffman was GOOD tonight until Mabil tore him a new asshole near the end. Aziz was good on the other wing made some excellent runs and was involved a lot. Orlando was great tonight too. Williams, Kalmar and Murdocca weren't so hot bench players next year for mine at best.

• Like 1

Yes Murdocca fucked up which eventuated to them equalising, but the Hoffman criticism is deserved!

Hoffman is shit at defending and he is shit at going forward!

Allow me to elaborate, when he defends, he jogs sideways backwards pretty much opening the door for them to go around him (or straight passed him)....other than that he panics so even by some chance he pulls off a tackle to win the ball he boots anywhere, which usually just comes straight back!

Now, let's talk about him going forward. Yes, he's quick, but that's about it! He's the Ramsay of the right wing! His delivery into the box (or lack there of) is just as shit as his defending! His can't read the play and he can't envisage a pass or passing the ball into space! Mate was caught offside a couple of times because Hoffman didn't have the nous to pass the ball early enough for Duga to run onto!

Hoffman is below A-League standard and should not be playing ahead young guns of which Heart will benefit more out of. I'm not necessarily talking about Walker; I'm talking about grooming a youth player into a gun right back who we can eventually sell-on...no team would look at Hoffman and think "hrmmm...this kids awesome, let's get him over for a trial"!

Hoffman OUT! Heart will achieve nothing as long as this guy is a starting player!

-Mauk is fucking awesome

-Garrucio is not a LB

There's obviously a lot of pragmatism in what you're saying, but my problem with that is that you would assume this team would be treating every potential win - and particularly an away win - like gold. Yeah, we broke the curse against Wellington, but away wins have been as rare as rocking horse shit for this club and yet they continue to piss away winning positions. Shouldn't they be cherishing the opportunity to take three points on another team's home deck, instead of looking like they're falling asleep, despite a similar scenario happening umpteen times in the past couple of years.

Two points from the last five games, including three where the opposition was down to 10 men. It's not good enough and it says a lot about the character of these players. For an experienced A-League premiership player like Murdocca to be almost solely responsible for the lead being coughed up makes it even more galling. The bloke's been playing in the A-League since it started; I don't think it's an issue with experience.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, and if we were under our old owners, these performances would not be acceptable.

However, i think JVS and the owners have been in frequent contact with each other, and i reckon the owners have told JVS who they are going to bring in, and have said for JVS to try out the rest of the current squad, to see who he wants to keep next season, and who he wants to let go. 

The away record is irrelevant to the new owners,  while we would've loved to get another away win before the end of the season, it's just not the priority atm when you are talking about fixing this club. It's all about seeing who out of the current squad has the ticker to play for us next season. Just think to yourself that half of the squad you saw tonight won't be there, due to the fact they let games like tonight slip.

As others have said we lost all attacking intent when Mauk and to a lesser extent Orlando were subbed off. Major fail by JVS there. The last 10 mins were just terrible, Tando was awful under the high ball and no one could even clear the ball. But  really in that situation the team should be calmly stroking the ball about taking advantage of the extra man, letting the opposition wear themselves out trying to show how desperate they are to get the ball back. Still only one away win in two and a half seasons.

• Like 1

Yes Murdocca fucked up which eventuated to them equalising, but the Hoffman criticism is deserved!

Hoffman is shit at defending and he is shit at going forward!

Allow me to elaborate, when he defends, he jogs sideways backwards pretty much opening the door for them to go around him (or straight passed him)....other than that he panics so even by some chance he pulls off a tackle to win the ball he boots anywhere, which usually just comes straight back!

Now, let's talk about him going forward. Yes, he's quick, but that's about it! He's the Ramsay of the right wing! His delivery into the box (or lack there of) is just as shit as his defending! His can't read the play and he can't envisage a pass or passing the ball into space! Mate was caught offside a couple of times because Hoffman didn't have the nous to pass the ball early enough for Duga to run onto!

Hoffman is below A-League standard and should not be playing ahead young guns of which Heart will benefit more out of. I'm not necessarily talking about Walker; I'm talking about grooming a youth player into a gun right back who we can eventually sell-on...no team would look at Hoffman and think "hrmmm...this kids awesome, let's get him over for a trial"!

Hoffman OUT! Heart will achieve nothing as long as this guy is a starting player!

More than happy to have a healthy debate about it. Here's some stats about Hoffman tonight:

89% converted passes

8 passes to dugandzic (indicating he was pushing forward and linking up well)

3 passes each to engelaar murdocca (again indicating he looked to play the ball to our midfielders)

2 passes to Williams and Behich

1 pass to kalmar, germano and mauk

1 offside pass (not sure where you saw this happen a couple of times)

Only pass to a defender was to wielaert 3 times. So all up 17 passes were to midfielders or forwards and only three back to weialert.

Defensively

4/5 tackles successful. The tackle he lost was further up near the half way line.

5/5 successful clearances

3/3 headed clearances

2/2 arial Dulles won

Errors leading to a shot on goal....0

Errors leading to a goal....0

Your turn..... :-)

• Like 2

Don't really know how anyone can criticise Hoffman's attacking play today, what more could you want from a fullback than what he delivered, his only error was the offside pass to Dugandzic.

Dugandzic was the MoM, and Hoffman had a lot to do with that. They've become quite the team down the right.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

That's what I can't understand, and I want to say again for the record that I'm quite indifferent to Hoffman. But it just irks me that the same culprits cost us goals and people turn a blind to them and blame Hoffman for actually doing his job. Defending!!!!

Tonight further makes me believe that Hoffman is given clear instructions by the coach whether he should be pushing forward more aggressively or not.

We all know the Hoffman debate. He'll do some good things, he'll also do some bad things. He's a decent RB without being amazing. I thought he was ok tonight without being amazing, the first goal he was out of position, but in fairness the whole team was all over the place when it happened.

Thought i'd give a shout out to all the blokes who made a trip up to Adelaide, could see a fair few of you's and even hear you's on T.V great work. Seems like away support is growing bigger and bigger each season, hope it continue's into next season! Great work to all those who made the effort this season to see Heart away.

We all know the Hoffman debate. He'll do some good things, he'll also do some bad things. He's a decent RB without being amazing. I thought he was ok tonight without being amazing, the first goal he was out of position, but in fairness the whole team was all over the place when it happened.

Thought i'd give a shout out to all the blokes who made a trip up to Adelaide, could see a fair few of you's and even hear you's on T.V great work. Seems like away support is growing bigger and bigger each season, hope it continue's into next season! Great work to all those who made the effort this season to see Heart away.

Agree he was out of position for the first goal after their keeper cleared it but it was still poor defending, we had 5 players in the box and only 3 of theirs. Murdocca was originally covering carrusca but when he back tracked for some reason he's gone to defend the cross with wielaert leaving carrusca by himself in the centre.

I daresay most of the squad are in need of some decent technical training, our first touch is terrible and consistently leads to bad body shape and poor passes.

Watch the Japanese sides in the ACL, one touch to control/direct, second touch to pass = faster play. Our lads take three, maybe four touches before they're ready to pass, and it's not really good enough.

That being said, we shouldn't be too fussed about this result, Adelaide are a good unit. We just need to be mentally tougher, and hopefully that'll come in the off season.

Also can recommend the Blue Galah hostel. Free jam and rice!

I daresay most of the squad are in need of some decent technical training, our first touch is terrible and consistently leads to bad body shape and poor passes.

Watch the Japanese sides in the ACL, one touch to control/direct, second touch to pass = faster play. Our lads take three, maybe four touches before they're ready to pass, and it's not really good enough.

That being said, we shouldn't be too fussed about this result, Adelaide are a good unit. We just need to be mentally tougher, and hopefully that'll come in the off season.

Also can recommend the Blue Galah hostel. Free jam and rice!

I hope you requested the jungle theme dorm again.

Edited by FB.

no need to worry tbh. The reason we lost this game is because of shit finishing, and shit finishing is because of players who lack quality.

At the moment we have a decent team who have the ability to create many good opportunities, as we saw tonight. Once the new owners splash some cash and top up the squad with some real high quality players, it will fix our issue of not being able to finish. The game should've been put away well before conceding the second goal, and once we start doing that next season we'll be fine.

• Like 1