Melbourne Football

Matchday 25: vs Brisbane Roar @ Suncorp Stadium Friday 28th March 7:00pm (8:00am GMT)

GreenSeater

IMO the final three matches are all going to be the same. All against sides that have achieved better results than we have and are more consistent. Much will depend on the mental state of our players and the approach they take - as Bela has commented many times the number one thing we have to change in our club is our culture of mediocrity; we simply have to develop a winning mentality. IMO that's the biggest challenge JvS has - we can have all the money, facilities and players in the world but if we don't get out there and start winning our club will never grow. Despite all the recent changes we have still won only one away match in well over two years, and that is simply not good enough to win silverware. 

With HK out I'd like to see Mauk start and given 60-70 minutes to at least get into the rhythm of things. And as a team, get some forward passing movements going in midfield and keep the ball on the deck.

• Like 1

Starting 11

Redmayne, weilaert, kisnorbo, garruccio, Williams, Ramsey, dugandzic, Hoffman, engelaar, germano, murdocca .

Tea leaves suggesting TV may get a start

Seeing as though we've re-signed the bloke for next season and Redders is underperforming, it makes perfect sense to give him the last 3 weeks to prove himself.

We may do a lot better against a side that doesn't sit back and counter attack. This has happened the last 3 weeks and we couldn't handle it.

Is that a JvS blind-spot?

Effectively yes.  I would assume, expert on the game that he is, that he sees it, but in 2.5 years he's had difficulty solving it.  Maybe the cattle at his disposal stopped him implementing an effective solution?   Hopefully the support and mentoring he can get from the Man City machine will help him deal with it now.  i mean 9 out of 10 games they go to they'd see the opposition bus sitting in front of the goals, but it hasn't seem to have stopped them scoring.

We may do a lot better against a side that doesn't sit back and counter attack. This has happened the last 3 weeks and we couldn't handle it.

Is that a JvS blind-spot?

Effectively yes.  I would assume, expert on the game that he is, that he sees it, but in 2.5 years he's had difficulty solving it.  Maybe the cattle at his disposal stopped him implementing an effective solution?   Hopefully the support and mentoring he can get from the Man City machine will help him deal with it now.  i mean 9 out of 10 games they go to they'd see the opposition bus sitting in front of the goals, but it hasn't seem to have stopped them scoring.

I agree, it might be a little bit of a blind-spot, as Heart under JVS have dropped points to a few defensively stubborn teams like the Central Coast Mariners, Perth and Wellington in the last game (who defended and counter for most of the game).

But I'd caveat that by saying that in the case of the Mariners, just about all teams regularly drop points, if not lose, against them. Especially under Graham Arnold in seasons up til now, but even now (to a lesser extent) under Moss this season, the Mariners have not only been a defensive team, but a ruthlessly professional outfit that knows how to pick up points. 

I'd also say that playing against teams that set-up specifically not to lose by playing defensive football is a real headache for teams everywhere. Even Man City have dropped points against teams who have defended stubbornly like Stoke, Sunderland, Norwich City and arguably Chelsea (they might even have dropped more points against defensively stubborn teams than attacking teams). 

So I'd say that JVS isn't alone in having difficulty breaking down stubbornly defensive teams, something which is especially true for the most stubborn and professional defensive teams (like the Mariners). Nonetheless, hopefully with a few new key players and a whole pre-season, JVS can get more points from matches against defensive teams more often.

Just to be clear, here's the official preliminary squad and full match details:

Match Details

Friday, 28 March 2014
Brisbane Roar v Melbourne Heart
Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Kick-off:
 7. 00pm local (8:00pm AEDT)
Referee: Chris Beath
Assistant Referee 1: Ashley Beecham
Assistant Referee 2: Allyson Flynn
Fourth Official: Matthew Gillett

TV broadcast: 7.00pm (AEDT) Live coverage on FOX Sports 1HD, SBS2 and delayed on Sky Sport 4 (New Zealand).

Live Match Stream: FFA will be streaming live coverage of the fixture in our Match Centre. Available (AUS & NZ only) to view by clicking here.

Radio Broadcast: ABC Grandstand Online/Mobile phone app. SBS Radio