Melbourne Football

The International Marquee thread

Shahanga

OK, last year's marquee thread got to 91 pages, so i figured a new one might be an idea, especially given our well funded Blue Overlords are in the picture now.

I'll get the ball rolling.  I don't think The Blue Overlords (TBO) will sign someone good enough to start for Manchester City, they'll be down from that level but I'm hoping for someone good enough to play in the Premier League, or Bundesliga etc.  

The first name I'm putting out there: Peter Odemwingie.  A classy striker whose scored against the best.  At 32 young enough to still make an impact.  Might let Berisha clean his boots, if BB asked nicely.  

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

I'm guessing the general concensus is that Orlando won't be offered a new contract at the end of the season?
As long as he performs well the rest of this season, I'd be happy if he stayed on. Guy has some obvious talent.

This what City said, as reported 23rd January.

"But it has to be the right player - they have to care about and share the vision we're trying to create, and fit the pattern of the way we want the team

to play. It's not just about plucking someone out of the EPL, or Serie A, or La Liga, and saying, play in Australia.

"We don't want it to be a final payday for a player. They've got to invest in it as much as we're investing in them. That's about developing the club,

they have to play their part in that. If they don't it doesn't benefit anyone.'

So based on that IMO we're looking at someone who's going to give at least 2 years to the club as a player, play a role in development of younger players, set a professional example to the others at the club, and definitely is not the prima donna or hard-to-handle type.

Engelaar will turn 35 just before the start of next season. I'm kind of hoping that he'll want to stick around and contribute to Heart, and will be prepared to go under the salary cap.

I believe Peter Odemwingie is contracted to Stoke until the end of next season. The tough thing for Heart will be finding a marquee player who's still very good, but who also might leave his club.

So players like Miroslav Klose, who are coming to the end of their contracts, are very good options. Other players who are out of contract at the end of June this transfer summer window include: Frank Lampard, Tomas Rosicky, Didier Drogba (although he has an option to stay for 1 more season), Claudio Pizarro, John Terry and Dimitar Berbatov.

Personally I think Tomas Rosicky would be an ideal marquee for us. He's a pretty good age (33), has leadership qualities (captains the Czech NT) and could really help us play 'good football'.

I'd like to see us get someone like Scott McDonald or Josh Kennedy to be an Aussie marquee to play as a striker as well.

Man City have said they will use up the marquee spots, so it'll be very interesting who they sign. I think there are lots of good marquees available for next season.

Edited by Murfy1

Engelaar will turn 35 just before the start of next season. I'm kind of hoping that he'll want to stick around and contribute to Heart, and will be prepared to go under the salary cap.

I believe Peter Odemwingie is contracted to Stoke until the end of next season. The tough thing for Heart will be finding a marquee player who's still very good, but who also might leave his club.

So players like Miroslav Klose, who are coming to the end of their contracts, are very good options. Other players who are out of contract at the end of June this transfer summer window include: Frank Lampard, Tomas Rosicky, Didier Drogba (although he has an option to stay for 1 more season), Claudio Pizarro, John Terry and Dimitar Berbatov.

Personally I think Tomas Rosicky would be an ideal marquee for us. He's a pretty good age (33), has leadership qualities (captains the Czech NT) and could really help us play 'good football'.

I'd like to see us get someone like Scott McDonald or Josh Kennedy to be an Aussie marquee to play as a striker as well.

Man City have said they will use up the marquee spots, so it'll be very interesting who they sign. I think there are lots of good marquees available for next season.

IMO 36 scouts will come up with a few options.

"But it has to be the right player - they have to care about and share the vision we're trying to create, and fit the pattern of the way we want the team

to play. It's not just about plucking someone out of the EPL, or Serie A, or La Liga, and saying, play in Australia.

"We don't want it to be a final payday for a player. They've got to invest in it as much as we're investing in them. That's about developing the club,

So based on that IMO we're looking at someone who's going to give at least 2 years to the club as a player, play a role in development of younger players, set a professional example to the others at the club, and definitely is not the prima donna or hard-to-handle type.

I reckon the marquee needs to be that, regardless, at every club. Producing on the pitch is all well and good, but considering how much more your international marquee is likely to be on than anyone else, he should also be your hardest worker, or close to it and an absolute professional in every respect. If he's just looking at it as a set-up for retirement, to get some sun and coast around in a second rate league, it's pretty easy to see what sort of problems that can cause with the team's chemistry.

I don't think Engelaar has shown enough to warrant the slot at this stage. Would love for him to stay on and find a way to fit him under the salary cap, but I just can't see him being our marquee man in 2014/15, unless he absolutely destroys the league in the last nine weeks of this season.

Edited by SF33

I reckon the marquee needs to be that, regardless, at every club. Producing on the pitch is all well and good, but considering how much more your international marquee is likely to be on than anyone else, he should also be your hardest worker, or close to it and an absolute professional in every respect. If he's just looking at it as a set-up for retirement, to get some sun and coast around in a second rate league, it's pretty easy to see what sort of problems that can cause with the team's chemistry.

I don't think Engelaar has shown enough to warrant the slot at this stage. Would love for him to stay on and find a way to fit him under the salary cap, but I just can't see him being our marquee man in 2014/15, unless he absolutely destroys the league in the last nine weeks of this season.

Engelaar hasn't shown enought to warrant a slot? Give the guy a break! He's only been back for a few games.

IMO, in these few games he has already shown the ability to lift the spirits and hopes of an entire team whose morale has been drilled into the ground, which I think is one of the most important aspects of a marquee player.

Edited by Benji

Engelaar hasn't shown enought to warrant a slot? Give the guy a break! He's only been back for a few games.

IMO, in these few games he has already shown the ability to lift the spirits and hopes of an entire team whose morale has been drilled into the ground, which I think is one of the most important aspects of a marquee player.

...at this stage...

I'm not writing him off at all. I'm just saying that to be our international marquee next season, he's probably going to have to be one of the best performing players in the league for the remainder of the season. We've got a scouting network and we'll soon have resources at our disposal that the other sides could only dream of and we'll be able to secure any of a number of world class players in the offseason. Engelaar's healthy now and he'll be back for the trip to NZ. Nothing wrong with making a guy earn his spot.

Thomas Rosicky

Franky Lampard

Esteban Cambiasso

Ronaldinho

Basically i just want someone who can boss midfield, be exciting as hell, create plenty of chances and score a few goals. And put a couple of bums on seats. I'm aiming high haha. But hey we have the worlds richest owners now!

Reckon we'd be better with a midfielder than a striker but that's just my opinion.

Of course they'd had to meet:

"it has to be the right player - they have to care about and share the vision we're trying to create, and fit the pattern of the way we want the team"

But times are exciting and I expect this thread to be long, exciting, frustrating & a lot of fun over the next 6-8 months!

:)

• Like 1

Also wouldn't mind some awesome 27yo guy from Brasil or Argentina that's looking for a raise. That seems to be the way to go to win champions league

Elkeson - 24 goals in 28 games for Guangzhou Evergrande last season, and is only 24 years old. 

Wouldn't be an international marquee but if you're going to get VISA players, they should be of this calibre.

Also wouldn't mind some awesome 27yo guy from Brasil or Argentina that's looking for a raise. That seems to be the way to go to win champions league

Elkeson - 24 goals in 28 games for Guangzhou Evergrande last season, and is only 24 years old. 

Wouldn't be an international marquee but if you're going to get VISA players, they should be of this calibre.

No way. First, Marcello Lippi loves him. Second his salary is around 3 million aud a year now, we won't fit him in salary cap.

If Elkeson is our international marquee i will be happy. He will bang 25+ more goals in A-league for sure. Way better than Berisha 

No way. First, Marcello Lippi loves him. Second his salary is around 3 million aud a year now, we won't fit him in salary cap.

If Elkeson is our international marquee i will be happy. He will bang 25+ more goals in A-league for sure. Way better than Berisha 

Holy shit, 3 million a year?! I had no idea ahaha.

Holy shit, 3 million a year?! I had no idea ahaha.

Yes, 2 million euro, around 3 million aud

Also, Guangzhou Evergrande paid 5.7 million transfer fee for Elkeson.

IMO, we could have a look on two Shangdong visa player Walter Montillo and Vagner Love. Shandong is a funny team. When their visa player is under-performing, the fans usually offer huge pressure on the board and the board then release the player. If any of these two get released or for sale one day, I would like to have them

...at this stage...

I'm not writing him off at all. I'm just saying that to be our international marquee next season, he's probably going to have to be one of the best performing players in the league for the remainder of the season. We've got a scouting network and we'll soon have resources at our disposal that the other sides could only dream of and we'll be able to secure any of a number of world class players in the offseason. Engelaar's healthy now and he'll be back for the trip to NZ. Nothing wrong with making a guy earn his spot.

I get what you mean.

My mistake.

If City want Heart to play a more posession based, passing game like I have heard, then Engelaar would fit in really well.

He has a knack for keeping the ball even when being swarmed by players, and his passing ability is great. His place in the center of the park, would allow him to control the play in a posession type game.

On another note, he claims he's really happy in Aus so as far as I'm concerned, City shouldn't bother looking too far for a new marquee option.

Said this in another thread but I'd love to see Juan Arango brought over. Out of contract at Monchengladbach, but wants to stay in the bundesliga. His left foot and free kicks would tear the A-league apart. Despite been cashed up I can't see the new owners springing for any transfers fees, unless they are very very low. Cacau is out of contract at Stuttgart, and so is Ciprian Marica at his club in Spain. 

I wonder how much cash the board has to pay for a marquee? if OE is on about $400k then they may be able to get a better credentialled player that demands more. For me at the moment if we are to get a marquee, he should be a midfielder because I don't think that we have anyone to dominate that position - Kalmar is not up to it (probably too good for the VPL but not good enough for the A-League), Murdocca is doing OK but I  can't see him dominating the mid field and in any case you need at least two players in the middle, HK is gettng on, so I prefer a ery good mid-fielder.

At a guess he will be a midfield maestro used to controling the ball and with a knack for showing youngsters how it´s done.. From what Txiki said they will look closely at his character as well because he must represent what the club hopes to achieve.

• Like 2