Melbourne Football

Round 17 - vs Sydney - Friday Jan 31st - 7.30pm AEDT, 8.30am GMT

Caddy

Didn't know the "hit and giggle" was on at the same time - will change my parking plans, so i'm glad it was brought up.

I expect Sydney will have thier tails up after flogging the 'tards last week and will doubtless be coming to take 3 points home. Having said that though based on our recent form we should be quietly confident we can take the money and thus I expect an entertaining game with both teams going for a win.

We will win of course. Hopefully by at least 3 and send the self proclaimed "Manchester United of Australia" back to Sydney with their tails between their legs.

Can't understand why I'm confident about this game but wouldn't be surprised if we snatch a win and send "Les Sky Bleus d'Shydney" back to their shit hole hahahahahaha. Mark ADP out of the game and we're in. Give him room and there could be some serious grief. Are you listening JVS. You're next job as yoof coach at MelbourneCityHeartFC depends on a result.

Edited by HEARTinator

Would it be too on the nose for Yarraside to have a banner saying "melbourne is red and white" or something of that nature? Given the situation withy the current owners.

Would prefer to see that type of statement made for the derby tifo where it can be in colour, larger and have more eyes on us. Would give a bigger impression to the owners on what the colours mean to us, over a black and white text banner that hasnt had as much time spent on it. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 3

Well yes, but there's no doubt it is a potential issue? It is a major concern for all that support the club that the colours will be changed.

That's why I asked, for that exact reason that you pointed out, would it be too on the nose to display that message given they haven't said they would or wouldn't change the colours. One things saying it on a forum. Another to publicly display it.

Too on the nose. Everyone must remember that the new owners have said nothing about it. It's all been speculation so far with no real evidence

Too on the nose?

There is nothing wrong with supporters making it clear to everyone in the Soccer Community that they love the colours of their football club.

Alongside this Yarraside is an Indpendent Supporters Group - Which means the Club has no ownership of their views, statements or doings.

Brining 4 also... Even tho the rest of our games don't mean much, because we killed ourselves a few weeks ago... It's important we win at least 70% of them, because from what I have heard every member has at least 2 friends who want to join next season. Lets just say each person brings one friend, that's 14,200 members... Doubled in one pre season. Exciting times!

Brining 4 also... Even tho the rest of our games don't mean much, because we killed ourselves a few weeks ago... It's important we win at least 70% of them, because from what I have heard every member has at least 2 friends who want to join next season. Lets just say each person brings one friend, that's 14,200 members... Doubled in one pre season. Exciting times!

In theory, yes that's right. Reality is that it's not as simple as that especially with our history of poor results. But with the new merger and the buzz being created, I'd think a goal of 10k+ members is definitely achievable and realistic for the beginning of the next season. And consistently staying in the top four from the start of the season to the end might even see it push out to 12k plus. A successful finals birth and a grand final showing might then see us get closer to that figure of 14k for the following season. I'd be happy with these figures for a first season with the new owners.

Preview: Melbourne Heart FC v Sydney Fc

By Iain Strachan

29 January 2014

Melbourne Heart and Sydney FC will meet in Round 17 of the 2013-14 A-League season at AAMI Park on Friday, January 31 at 7.30pm AEDT.

Head-to-head:

Played: 11 Wins: Heart 3, Sydney 3, Draws: 5 

Previous encounter:

Sydney 2-1 Heart, December 15, 2013 

Form:

Past five matches:

Heart: DWLDL

Sydney: WLLDL 

The Game:

Melbourne Heart will go into this clash with more confidence than they've had in months after picking up four points from a possible six. They backed up their drought-breaking 3-1 win over the Newcastle Jets with a respectable 2-2 draw away to in-form Adelaide United, and could well have emerged from their trip to Coopers Stadium with all three points. 

Sydney meanwhile snapped their own winless streak in the most emphatic fashion imaginable, thumping arch-rivals Melbourne Victory 5-0 away from home. The Sky Blues are back in Victoria again just five days later, and will be hoping for a repeat of that bumper haul. But they're unlikely to have such an easy time of it against a Heart side that looks tighter at the back and sharper up front as returning head coach John van 't Schip begins to stamp his mark on the team.

The big issue:

Heart - Demonstrating a mental toughness which has been absent for much of 2013-14 is important for the Heart this week. They could perhaps be forgiven for being a little disappointed in not notching successive victories with a win away to Adelaide, but must not let the concession of that late Ryan Griffiths goal distract them from continuing the important progress they have made in recent weeks. 

Sydney - The Sky Blues must prove that Sunday's heavy win at Etihad Stadium was not a one-off. Let's not forget the underwhelming form Frank Farina's team had been in during the weeks leading up to that game. Porous at the back and toothless in attack for much of January, was the Australia Day demolition job more a consequence of Victory's hapless display than Sydney's restored cohesion? The final score on Friday night will give us an indication. 

The game breaker:

Ranko Despotovic terrorised the Victory defence on Sunday evening, opening the scoring with a well-taken goal before winning a penalty to send Sydney on their way. Too strong for youngsters Scott Galloway, Jason Geria and Nick Ansell, and too quick for Adrian Leijer to keep up with, the Serbian forward produced arguably his best performance since joining the Sky Blues, and will present a major challenge for Heart's defence this week. 

Prediction: Melbourne Heart 2-2 Sydney FC

There are plenty of in-form attackers on both teams going into this game, with Harry Kewell and Iain Ramsay beginning to hit their peak in red and white. Alessandro Del Piero will of course have to be watched closely by the Heart defence, and it's the less-than-watertight rearguards which could be a determining factor on Friday night. 

Goals are expected and there's little between the two sides. Orlando Engelaar has another 54 minutes of game-time under his belt and we can expect to see him dominating the midfield battle soon, but the veteran Dutchman may have a job on his hands keeping up with energetic Sydney duo Milos Dimitrijevic and Hagi Gligor. Whoever controls the ball will have the best chance of winning the match, and Farina may have found a winning combination with those two dynamos supplying Del Piero. The loss of Terry McFlynn to injury is a blow and may a prompt a reshuffle to the midfield diamond used to such excellent effect against Victory. 

Edited by Murfy1

Same starting XI that has let us down all season bar the last two games.

Some will play different positions.

Only one young gun to join Kalmar Gerhardt and Misfire on the bench.

So says the tea leaves.

Late injuries might save the day however wouldn't wish that on anyone no matter how bad they play.

• Like 1

It is on BT (British Telecom) Sports. Which you can view through the Sky platform if you subscribe carlings.

For some reason when I press on the quote button it sends me to the bottom of the page rather than the post I am trying to quote. Anyone know how I can fix that?

When I press the quote button it jumps to the bottom of the page inside the "Reply to this topic" box. The quote is already inside the reply box and the cursor is below the quoted box. Then comment away and press the Post button.

It is on BT (British Telecom) Sports. Which you can view through the Sky platform if you subscribe carlings.

For some reason when I press on the quote button it sends me to the bottom of the page rather than the post I am trying to quote. Anyone know how I can fix that?

Thanks Silva10 my uncle actually works for BT. Good to see you getting on board!!

This is a game that we have a good chance of winning as long as we press Sydney in midfield and don't allow them the space that they had last week, and we pressure their defenders and are able to exploit turnovers in their back third. We can expect ADP to flip flop around and get a dangerous set piece close to our goal as usual, so our defenders need to do something unusual, concentrate for 94 minutes. Please JVS, no Hoff and no Mifsud.

Edited by belaguttman

This is a game that we have a good chance of winning as long as we press Sydney in midfield and don't allow them the space that they had last week, and we pressure their defenders and are able to exploit turnovers in their back third. We can expect ADP to flip flop around and get a dangerous set piece close to our goal as usual, so our defenders need to do something unusual, concentrate for 94 minutes. Please JVS, no Hoff and no Mifsud.

From recollection last season Walker did a reasonably good job on ADP. Walker is a lot more nimble than Hoff who moves like a skyscraper.

From recollection last season Walker did a reasonably good job on ADP. Walker is a lot more nimble than Hoff who moves like a skyscraper.

Walker had Del Piero in his back pocket the entire game, man of the match by a mile.

Am still doubtful nonetheless that he'll actually get game time, he's been poor when given the scarce opportunity this season.

He was brilliant last season, but had an absolute shocker earlier this year. 

Felt for him, was like watching a completely different player.