Melbourne Football

Round 17 - vs Sydney - Friday Jan 31st - 7.30pm AEDT, 8.30am GMT

Caddy

For some reason when I press on the quote button it sends me to the bottom of the page rather than the post I am trying to quote. Anyone know how I can fix that?

It should send you to the bottom of the page and automatically fill in the "Reply to this topic" text box with the quoted post.

If its not working properly I can only suggest that you make sure your browser is up to date.

Will Mifsud even make the bench?? I am hearing he might not.

If there's no possibility of him earning a new contract, which I'm sure there isn't, then this is a good move.

He's had more than enough chances to A. Score and B. Learn the offside rule.

I don't think there'd be any room for Garuccio or Mauk in the matchday squad for the match. Since Williams and Gerhardt are fit again.... Even if Mifsud is dropped completely.

I wouldn't be sure of that as JVS was/has never been Williams biggest fan...

Also you got to feel for Kisnorbo if he gets dropped for Gerhardt, he not only scored last week but also got in the A League team of the week.

Tea leaves predicting starting XI

R H W K B M E G K D R but not in that order

Bench W K G G

I really like that, for anyone having trouble...

Redmayne

Hoffman - Wileart - Kisnorbo - Behich

Murdocca - Engelaar - Germano?

Dugandzic - Kewell - Ramsey

Tando, Williams, Kalmar, Gerhardt, Garrucio?

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

Tea leaves predicting starting XI

R H W K B M E G K D R but not in that order

Bench W K G G

I really like that, for anyone having trouble...

Redmayne

Hoffman - Wileart - Kisnorbo - Behich

Murdocca - Engelaar - Germano?

Dugandzic - Kewell - Ramsey

Tando, Williams, Kalmar, Gerhardt, Garrucio?

Like that team.

I'd actually consider playing Ramsey through the middle and Kewell out wide (or at least having them swap during the game at some point). Ramsey has been causing a few issues when he drifts through the middle recently, although Kewell has performed well there.

will be able to watch the first half before heading into work.

would appreciate if someone took his time to answer a couple questions. is this a big game? are Sydney any good? isn't ADP playing for them? does this game have any special meaning to Heart fans? is that sorry ass Behich going to play again? are there any considerable alternatives to Mifsud?

would appreciate if someone took his time to answer a couple questions. is this a big game? are Sydney any good? isn't ADP playing for them? does this game have any special meaning to Heart fans? is that sorry ass Behich going to play again? are there any considerable alternatives to Mifsud?

No.

No.

Yes.

No.

FOAD.

Yes.

• Like 1

to expand, Sydney are a shit team that somehow has won a couple of Championships. It has chronic off-field instability, multiple ownership changes and coach changes, always with the disappointment that follows 'we are a big club and deserve to be successful'. Think of it like Chelsea without any of the positive things. ADP is playing for them and this has been good and bad: he's still a class player but the team revolves around him and he does very little defensive work these days. Last time we played at AAMI Park in the dark Aloisi era, this was maybe our darkest day when we were so unmotivated and disorganised that it made a team as obviously shit as Sydney look like Bayern Munchen. This game also featured the #AloisiOut banner that we were also featuring in our fan tweets, as well as 'Aloisi Out' chants and 'Let's pretend to score a goal' chants. It was a turning point of sorts as it was clear to everyone apart from Aloisi that nobody #believed that he could turn things around. We have unfinished business, Sydney need a good spanking from us.

• Like 5

It means something to me! I hate Sydney, the place and the football team.

Agreed - As far as I am concerned this is a match that matters for me as I split the Comp into the following Groups.

Those I Care About

Victory

West Sydney

Sydney

Adelaide

Brisbane

Those I dont Care About

Wellington

Perth

Central Coast

Newcastle

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Agreed - As far as I am concerned this is a match that matters for me as I split the Comp into the following Groups.

Those I Care About SMASHING HARD

Victory

West Sydney

Sydney

Adelaide

Brisbane

Those I dont Care About

Wellington

Perth

Central Coast

Newcastle +1

Agreed - As far as I am concerned this is a match that matters for me as I split the Comp into the following Groups.

Those I Care About

Victory

West Sydney

Sydney

Adelaide

Brisbane

Those I dont Care About

Wellington

Perth

Central Coast

Newcastle

Pretty much the same, although I personally hate Perth too.

Mainly down to those hacks Burns and Mehmet (who's thankfully finished).

From JvS:

And Van 't Schip confirmed a delegation from City, who are themselves backed by the super-wealthy Abu Dhabi United Group, will be in the stands to observe their newest team's efforts.

"There will be some people, there are already people here the whole week talking with the people in the office," he said.

"For sure, now, it's their club. So there will be people from the organisation watching. It's important for everybody that we perform, but that has nothing to do with them now sitting here, we should have that (motivation) every time.

"They're watching, having talks with people in the club and preparing all kind of things for the coming months and hopefully the coming years. It's a project for the long term. That's why everybody can continue the next few months in working and finishing this season. And then after, there certainly will be changes."

Van 't Schip will make no immediate attempt to alter Heart's style of play to match the City model, claiming his philosophy fits in well with that of City's Chilean coach Manuel Pellegrini and their Spanish director of football, former Barcelona man Txiki Begiristain.

"I have my way of how I want to play and I don't think that's a lot different than the way they think about playing," he said.

"Of course we're talking about (a difference in) quality but I still think with the players we have and with the thoughts about how football should be played we're on the right way and it's also the way that Manchester City like."

Those I Care About

Victory

Those I dont Care About

Wellington

West Sydney

Sydney

Adelaide

Brisbane

Perth

Central Coast

Newcastle

:tooth:  :tooth:  :tooth: 

Those I Care About

Victory

Those I dont Care About

Wellington

West Sydney

Sydney

Adelaide

Brisbane

Perth

Central Coast

Newcastle

:tooth:  :tooth:  :tooth: 

I actually hate West Sydney these days as much as I hate Victory.

Those I Care About

Victory

West Sydney

Sydney

Adelaide

Brisbane

Those I dont Care About

Wellington

Perth

Central Coast

Newcastle

Pretty much the same, although I personally hate Perth too.

Mainly down to those hacks Burns and Mehmet (who's thankfully finished).

After travelling to Perth over this Summer I can confirm that I now have a lot more "Dislike" for them than I did this time last year.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

Agreed - As far as I am concerned this is a match that matters for me as I split the Comp into the following Groups.

Those I Care About

Victory

West Sydney

Sydney

Adelaide

Brisbane

Those I dont Care About

Wellington

Perth

Central Coast

Newcastle

One Jacob Burns has put the Glory into the other column for mine.

Just go in 45 mins late and blame it on the weather...

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility or am liable to any damages should your employment be terminated.

Those I Care About

Victory

West Sydney

Sydney

Adelaide

Brisbane

Those I dont Care About

Wellington

Perth

Central Coast

Newcastle

One Jacob Burns has put the Glory into the other column for mine.

When you say "Those I care about" - what do you mean you "care" about Victory?  <_< lol jk

Just go in 45 mins late and blame it on the weather...

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility or am liable to any damages should your employment be terminated.

My russian friends tell me there's nothing that can't be fixed with a bottle of living water (vodka). Hell, one of my mates even got his birth date changed hahaha.

to expand, Sydney are a shit team that somehow has won a couple of Championships. It has chronic off-field instability, multiple ownership changes and coach changes, always with the disappointment that follows 'we are a big club and deserve to be successful'. Think of it like Chelsea without any of the positive things. ADP is playing for them and this has been good and bad: he's still a class player but the team revolves around him and he does very little defensive work these days. Last time we played at AAMI Park in the dark Aloisi era, this was maybe our darkest day when we were so unmotivated and disorganised that it made a team as obviously shit as Sydney look like Bayern Munchen. This game also featured the #AloisiOut banner that we were also featuring in our fan tweets, as well as 'Aloisi Out' chants and 'Let's pretend to score a goal' chants. It was a turning point of sorts as it was clear to everyone apart from Aloisi that nobody #believed that he could turn things around. We have unfinished business, Sydney need a good spanking from us.

Just to add looks like Behich will be playing hopefully will have a good game this week and show why he was one of best players. as for Mifspud I don't think we actually a real out and out striker. We have people that can play there but know one that can really say they are a quality finisher.

From JvS:

And Van 't Schip confirmed a delegation from City, who are themselves backed by the super-wealthy Abu Dhabi United Group, will be in the stands to observe their newest team's efforts.

"There will be some people, there are already people here the whole week talking with the people in the office," he said.

"For sure, now, it's their club. So there will be people from the organisation watching. It's important for everybody that we perform, but that has nothing to do with them now sitting here, we should have that (motivation) every time.

"They're watching, having talks with people in the club and preparing all kind of things for the coming months and hopefully the coming years. It's a project for the long term. That's why everybody can continue the next few months in working and finishing this season. And then after, there certainly will be changes."

Van 't Schip will make no immediate attempt to alter Heart's style of play to match the City model, claiming his philosophy fits in well with that of City's Chilean coach Manuel Pellegrini and their Spanish director of football, former Barcelona man Txiki Begiristain.

"I have my way of how I want to play and I don't think that's a lot different than the way they think about playing," he said.

"Of course we're talking about (a difference in) quality but I still think with the players we have and with the thoughts about how football should be played we're on the right way and it's also the way that Manchester City like."

Clearly at the end JVS pitching to keep his job under the new management team. The fact that the new team is in town and running the ruler over us is farken great news already. I'm kinda in a "don't give a shit about results from here just let the season end and start preparing for HAL10!" frame of mind ATM. But will be there tomorrow night anyway - just out of habit I guess :)

Just to have the info here, here's the extended squad for tomorrow:

Melbourne Heart FC Squad: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3. Robbie WIELAERT, 4. Orlando ENGELAAR, 6. Patrick GERHARDT, 7. Iain RAMSAY, 8. Massimo MURDOCCA, 10. Harry KEWELL ©, 11.Michael MIFSUD, 13. Jonatan GERMANO, 15. David WILLIAMS, 16. Aziz BEHICH, 17. Jason HOFFMAN, 19. Benjamin GARUCCIO, 20. Tando VELAPHI (GK), 21. Stefan MAUK, 22. Nick KALMAR, 23. Mate DUGANDZIC, 24. Patrick KISNORBO
**Two to be omitted**

Ins: 6. Patrick GERHARDT (returns from injury), 15. David WILLIAMS (returns from injury),

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: Nil

Pretty much as people suggested. I hope we see the suggested starting XI as well.

Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I don't quite understand what JvS is doing at the moment. He seems to be dishing up pretty much the same team every week, whereas I'd expected (especially after new owners arrived) that we would be having a broader look at the squad and be including the likes of Vrankovic, Retre, Schroen etc. to get 20 minutes or so under A-League conditions with a view to moulding the squad for next season. Do we really believe we can make the six? I'm puzzled.

I'm not too sure exactly what JVS is thinking either. 

He did stress at the start that he wouldn't play youth just for the sake of playing youth. And many players, like Dugandzic and Ramsay, have improved very noticeably, so understandably he hasn't dropped players who have improved.

Also he did lose the likes of Mauk and Vrankovic for about 2 rounds, which would have made it tougher to integrate them into the squad. I expect him to give the young players more game time in the remaining games. Another thing, he did sub on Mauk against Adelaide and his marking for the second goal was poor, so it's understandable to not give him back to back appearances (which would be rewarding a rather poor showing).

JVS has massively changed our football, both our formation and our style of play. Our passing has improved significantly, and we're keeping the ball much better. We've also rather remarkably scored 5 goals over the past 2 games. Given that he's wanted to change our tactics so much, it's possible that he hasn't yet wanted to change personnel much as well. 

I also think there's a slight chance that JVS might want maximum success in what remains of our season now that Man City have taken over. If JVS is especially keen to remain at Heart, he has more incentive to stick with the older players (many of whom are much more confident and much improved now) rather than prepare young players for next season, to play in a team that he might not coach.

But for my money JVS is just working and struggling to rebuild a team that was an absolute wreck. It was dead last, and a mile away from 9th place, the confidence of every player was shot to pieces and JVS wanted to fundamentally change the way we were playing football with only 14 games to go after he replaced JA. So he's changed things a fair bit, and I've been pretty happy with most of these changes, but likewise I too would like to see more changes, especially with regards to younger players playing more often.

Edited by Murfy1

Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I don't quite understand what JvS is doing at the moment. He seems to be dishing up pretty much the same team every week, whereas I'd expected (especially after new owners arrived) that we would be having a broader look at the squad and be including the likes of Vrankovic, Retre, Schroen etc. to get 20 minutes or so under A-League conditions with a view to moulding the squad for next season. Do we really believe we can make the six? I'm puzzled.

I see it as a job preservation strategy.

New owners are results orientated and although he is only care taking, I'm certain he wants to present himself as someone who could be considered by the city group as a capable individual. Perhaps a role somewhere in the empire even if it isn't in Australia.

If you look back as our results were going south under JA he kept using his older experienced players only because he was so desperate for a win.

He had no time for youngsters.

He needed a win

We could be facing similar dilemma here with JVS

He wants to impress new owners

TBH hadn't thought much about it, just so relieved to look at the bench and see a guy who actually knows what's he doing!

Anyway, I agree with you though, given the season's effectively gone, playing a few young guys who are going to be off contract soon (and thus you need to make your mind up about them) makes sense. 

To make the finals we'd need about another 24 points from 11 games.  Say 7W 3D 1L.  Not impossible, but very unlikely.  The only good thing to say about that requirement is that IF we can make the finals we will clearly be the form team in the comp, so would take some beating.  The logical conclusion to me is that the club believes we have the squad to do just that and is instructing the manager to go for it.  If the club is fair dinkum in that goal I expect them to bring someone in, either an attacking mid or a striker to help make it happen.  if not, please play a few of the kids.