Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

Van't Schip hails Mooy importance to City and league

Matthew Galea

March 3, 2016

Melbourne City coach John van't Schip believes holding onto Aaron Mooy was important for his club and the league.

John van't Schip said keeping hold of Melbourne City star and Socceroo Aaron Mooy in January was a coup not just for his team but the A-League.

The fourth-placed A-League club saw four first-team players leave with four new stars replacing them in January, but hanging onto Mooy amidst strong interest from Chinese Super League and European clubs was perhaps their best piece of business.

"Aaron is showing week in, week out how important he is," City coach Van't Schip said.

"He's becoming a natural leader on the pitch. Off the pitch Aaron is Aaron, enjoying his football and he's setting a good example.

"He had a little dip of maybe two or three games when he was injured, but before and after that he has been very important and we're happy to have him.

"It's a good thing for the league as well."

Van't Schip said he was never worried about losing Mooy, whose 10 goals and 17 assists this season have been crucial to City's finals charge.

"We made it very clear when we signed him last year as a marquee, we wanted him for at least a whole season or even more," he said.

"He's an important figure for the team to achieve what we want which is winning something.

"Again, every moment has a time to reflect on and that moment was not around Christmas because we were already very clear from the start that he wouldn't leave."

But Van't Schip said the A-League could face tougher times in holding onto their best Australian players, particularly from China.

"If it's hard to keep [some of the best players] in Europe, you can imagine how hard it will be here," the Dutchman said.

"Good players, no matter who they are or where they play, in minor leagues will struggle because first of all the clubs need money and secondly the players want to leave and they want to play in better leagues or leagues where they get unbelievable amounts of money.

"The most important thing is that you can produce another Aaron Mooy or another young player that can grow."

And Van't Schip - who was the club's foundation coach when they were known as Melbourne Heart - is confident, no matter what the future holds for Mooy, his club is better resourced to do that since the City Football Group takeover.

"We have people that are looking out there for us for what we are asking for and they have clear vision and the opportunity to learn, so it makes it easier for us," he said.

"That is of course different to the old situation where a lot of the time we had to use our own resources and travel on our own and go to watch a lot of players by ourselves.

"Now we get [involved] in the later phase and we get the players we ask for and we can have a look … and it's more choosing who fits the best character, age and the way of playing.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4016/main/2016/03/03/20937802/vant-schip-hails-mooy-importance-to-city-and-league

Aaron Mooy: Ange Postecoglou compliments a drive for improvement

Clement Tito

March 3, 2016

Melbourne City star Aaron Mooy has reacted to Ange Postecoglou’s recent comments labelling him as the “best in the league”.

Mooy was flattered by the compliments from the Australia boss, however, he stated he was not getting complacent.

“It’s a big thing coming from the national team manager, but things can change very quickly in football,” the playmaker said.

“I have to train and justify that, it puts pressure on me. It’s a good thing for me, it helps me and pushes me to perform.”

After Postecoglou took over as Socceroos boss, a large portion of A-League players have thrown on the boots to play for their country.

Mooy, who is among his career best season in 2015-16, is speculated to be leaving the A-League with bigger fish to fry.

The 25-year-old does not have any plans for the immediate future and claimed he was content in Australia.

“Every player in the A-League has the opportunity to impress Ange. It’s great to see he’s selecting players from the A-League,” he said.

“You always know, coming back to the A-League isn’t a bad thing and you’re still in contention for the national team as well.

“The leagues getting stronger every year, it’s a pretty high standard now so it’s great time for Australian Football.

“It was difficult during January (speculation), it’s all settled down now.

“I was always focusing on Melbourne City, but during the January it was in the back of my mind.

“Now can push on to the end of the season and I don’t know what will happen, we’ll see.”

http://outside90.com/mooy-postecoglou-compliments-drives-for-improvement322/

9 hours ago, Shahanga said:

(Winfield) Socceroos call up means he'll miss the home game vs Wellington.

Come on FFA, Intetnationsl dates.

We lose one player for one game - how is that different from a player being injured for one match? There is no way that the FFA would introduce international dates on that single count. WP have a bigger case because they lose the whole squad.

10 hours ago, NewConvert said:

We lose one player for one game - how is that different from a player being injured for one match? There is no way that the FFA would introduce international dates on that single count. WP have a bigger case because they lose the whole squad.

Actually was thinking about every team in the league, not just us. This isn't the first time this has happened, if it as I wouldn't be that worried.

an injury is unplanned for but these World Cup qualifiers are scheduled a year ahead. Serious leagues don't play when their World Cup qualifiers are on.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

it was always going to happen. At least we only lose Mooy for this game and no one else.

im more interested to see who Wellington loses, potentially some big outs for them 

Yeah... Cos we've always done well against Wellington when they've lost players to international duty.

1 hour ago, strider said:

Don't think Mooy could cut it at EPL level tbh

There's no garuntee that he would or wouldn't cut it. The current Mooy we know probably wouldn't. The Mooy that develops through game time (minutes played???) , exposure to higher demands during training and matches, possible coaching development at an EPL club, other environmental factors may in fact take him to another level again. 

• Like 1

He's got better vision and passing ability than some starting midfielders for lower-tier EPL clubs, and from all reports his fitness is elite. 

His decision making and ability to handle high pressure games against world class players is where you'd be asking questions, but like Niko said that's something that's developed once you get into that ultra-professional EPL environment. 

Obviously he has the potential with two phenomenal seasons in the A-League and the fact he's starting for the Socceroos now is a massive tick against his name, hopefully he makes it.

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

There's no guarantee that he would or wouldn't cut it. The current Mooy we know probably wouldn't. The Mooy that develops through game time (minutes played???) , exposure to higher demands during training and matches, possible coaching development at an EPL club, other environmental factors may in fact take him to another level again. 

I agree.

To be honest I don't understand the "he wouldn't cope physically" argument that often gets put forward.  The A League isn't exactly soft, but he never gets muscled off the ball and on top of that he's one of the fittest men to ever pull on a pair of football boots, plus he's a great tackler.

Having said that I can't see him making it at Liverpool, but I don't see why he wouldn't back himself to make it at one of the weaker clubs like say Bournemouth or Man U. 

Edited by Shahanga
spelling
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Tesla said:

If you guys want to see Mooy in the EPL next season I suggest you start supporting a certain Yorkshire based team that's near the top of the Championship table...

I'd love to see Middlesbrough back in the top flight, hopefully they can do it.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm obviously missing something, but I don't really understand why Manchester City went to the trouble of signing Luke Brattan and Anthony Caceres (essentially "CFG signings") but didn't do/haven't done the same with Aaron Mooy.

Well, it's not like Man City are playing either of those two. So Mooy probably wouldn't have either and would have been sent out on loan to a League One team (even though he's probably better than Delph and Fernando). Or, they've only signed Brattan and Caceres to potentially allow us to sign them.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm obviously missing something, but I don't really understand why Manchester City went to the trouble of signing Luke Brattan and Anthony Caceres (essentially "CFG signings") but didn't do/haven't done the same with Aaron Mooy.

Luke was signed for the following assumed reasons, top aleague midfielder, potential replacement for Mooy, reduced salary under the cap due to a backloaded pay while he's over there this year. Caceras was signed under CFG to avoid the payout fee affecting our salary cap. Therefore he comes here as a free transfer. 

Mooy has not been signed by CFG because he was signed on so early in the CFG timeline. He is also outside the salary cap so there is little point him becoming a CFG signing. I'd say they'll make some decent money off him when someone buys him out and for every future transfer he makes they will most likely get some sort of commission out of it. 

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Mooy was signed by Heart, he was already on the books when the CFG buyout happened

Gonna be a little pedantic and say no he  technically wasn't on the books when the CFG buyout happened. This is of course distinct from having a contract in place pre-buyout.

The real purpose of my post though is I wondr whether Mooy was made aware of the looming buy out to some extent (whether he knew it was CFG or just a wealthy group) before he put pen to paper. 

I know game time was cited as the major reason, but I don't think that would be enough to draw him to us alone as I reckon other clubs would have been able to offer similar game time. It was also reported that other clubs offered marquee wages, which would suggest that they would expect alot of playing minutes from him. So to me it doesn't quite add up that he chose us without some knowledge of a buy out which would mean we would be competitive.

Fwiw I know your post was relating to contract signed pre-CFG and its affect on any commission clauses for future transfer, but it was an in for me to raise something that I have thought about for a long time.

16 minutes ago, malloy said:

Gonna be a little pedantic and say no he  technically wasn't on the books when the CFG buyout happened. This is of course distinct from having a contract in place pre-buyout.

The real purpose of my post though is I wondr whether Mooy was made aware of the looming buy out to some extent (whether he knew it was CFG or just a wealthy group) before he put pen to paper. 

I know game time was cited as the major reason, but I don't think that would be enough to draw him to us alone as I reckon other clubs would have been able to offer similar game time. It was also reported that other clubs offered marquee wages, which would suggest that they would expect alot of playing minutes from him. So to me it doesn't quite add up that he chose us without some knowledge of a buy out which would mean we would be competitive.

Fwiw I know your post was relating to contract signed pre-CFG and its affect on any commission clauses for future transfer, but it was an in for me to raise something that I have thought about for a long time.

We were told that even Sidwell didn't know who the real buyer was until the deal was being signed

I still believe the only reason he would have ever been signed under the Heart regime is because of an agreement/discussion between them and CFG. I can't see, based on the below timelines, how this would have been a Heart signing alone:

Herald Sun: "Though he effectively ­becomes the first signing of the Heart revolution, Mooy is understood to have made the decision in January, well ­before Manchester City's $11.25m takeover was announced"

The comment above is incorrect because...

SMH: "23 January 2014 the City Football Group had acquired Melbourne Heart for $12 million"

The Heart board would have been in talks for months with CFG. If anything Mooy would have been told about the impending announcement of the CFG takeover, considering his decision and the takeover take place in the same month.  

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We were told that even Sidwell didn't know who the real buyer was until the deal was being signed

I know, but Sidwell would have been aware that it was a wealthy group, hence my question of whether Mooy was aware of the upcoming buyout and if so was this the tipping point.  I believe it was reported that serious discussions began in July so surely a few people would have known. 

Maybe JD mentioned something to Mooy's agent to seal the deal to improve his signing history.

1 minute ago, malloy said:

I know, but Sidwell would have been aware that it was a wealthy group, hence my question of whether Mooy was aware of the upcoming buyout and if so was this the tipping point.  I believe it was reported that serious discussions began in July so surely a few people would have known. 

Maybe JD mentioned something to Mooy's agent to seal the deal to improve his signing history.

So are you saying that the Heart board wasn't in talks with CFG? Was the sale of the club between CFG and FFA?

4 minutes ago, n i k o said:

So who actually conducts these deals? Who would CFG speak to if its not the FFA or the Heart board?

The deal was negotiated publicly by the 20% minority shareholders, headed by Melbourne Storm and ORICAGreenEdge owners. After a year CFG bought them out. All FFA and Sidwell thought was that these other dudes were buying the franchise

• Like 3

1 minute ago, belaguttman said:

The deal was negotiated publicly by the 20% minority shareholders, headed by Melbourne Storm and ORICAGreenEdge owners. After a year CFG bought them out. All FFA and Sidwell thought was that these other dudes were buying the franchise

Ok so thats why there was talk about a New Zealand consortium buying out Heart. Was CFG involved in any capacity at this stage when Storm and ORICAGreenEdge were negotiating the deal?

6 minutes ago, n i k o said:

So who actually conducts these deals? Who would CFG speak to if its not the FFA or the Heart board?

IIRC it was a direct negotiation between Sidwell and the "Melbourne Storm interests" headed by Bart Campbell and Gerry Ryan. Clearly Sidwell had the approval of his Board to sell, but he did not know that the majority interest in Heart would be held by Manchester City, and neither did FFA until the Manchester City representatives walked into the room for the ratification.

IIRC someone did get wind of the deal just before it was ratified, but basically there were no leaks about what was happening, and that is strongly suggestive that only a very small number of people were "in the know."

• Like 1