Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

15 hours ago, Tesla said:

Just goes to show he really should have gone to a better league

The beauty of Mooy going Huddersfield via Man City IMO is that it gives a fail safe through Huddersfield being a stepping stone.

Considering how long it took Jedinak to get to and maintain an EPL regular position after leaving the a league, Mooy has the chance to work his way up with the added bonus of having a big team backing him.

For the record, Mooy is no doubt way further ahead than Jedinak when you compare them in terms of status / ability against when they signed to play in the Championship (Jedinak in 2011, Mooy this coming season). Which makes me think Mooy has a great chance of actually making it at City.

Mooy enjoying renaissance on road to Russia

(FIFA.com) 18 Jul 2016
Aaron Mooy of the Socceroos celebrates scoring a goal

Midway through the 2014/15 Australian A-League season, the nation came to a standstill as the AFC Asian Cup came to town. After featuring in a 2-0 defeat to Central Coast Mariners for his club side Melbourne City in early January 2015, the then 24-year-old Aaron Mooy took up a bittersweet watching brief for the rest of the month. 

He was not selected for the Socceroos squad for the Asian Cup, nor had he really expected to be, with just a few minutes of international action in the years preceding the flagship tournament. Ange Postecoglou ultimately led his side to a first continental title in Asia, with a dramatic 2-1 extra-time victory against Korea Republic. 

You would think after such a historic victory, it would be difficult to secure a place in the Socceroos’ starting line-up, with those Asian Cup heroes holding a distinct advantage. Mooy has defied that expectation. After 20 minutes against Germany in a March 2015 friendly, the midfielder secured a spot in the Australian XI, impressing with his measured playmaking approach and incisive passing. Of the eight FIFA World Cup™ qualifiers on Australia’s road to Russia so far, Mooy has played in seven, scoring twice and setting up six goals. Is that creative spark the reason for his continued inclusion in Postecoglou’s line-ups? 

“I like to get on the ball and pass it forwards, try and create chances,” Mooy told FIFA.com. “That’s what my game is about. I’m playing more games, which builds confidence. I’ve played for a number of years in the A-League and I’m improving.” 

Mooy played regularly in Australia from late 2012, to be precise, after a spell in the United Kingdom at firstly Bolton Wanderers (where he spent his latter teenage years in the English side’s youth teams), and then in Scotland at St Mirren where he made his professional debut. After his return in 2012, everything seemed to be going right for Mooy, he was playing regularly at hometown club, Western Sydney Wanderers, and scored on his full debut for the national side against Guam in December 2012. 

He seemed destined for a spot in the national team for years to come, especially after being part of the Young Socceroos squad at the FIFA U-20 World Cup in 2009, an experience Mooy described as “unbelievable”. The transition seemed seamless. But then he played no part in World Cup qualifying for Brazil, making one start at the 2013 East Asian Football Championship, which constituted the only 90 minutes of international football for Mooy up until his recent renaissance under Postecoglou.  

Shared philosophy
The midfielder was effusive in his praise for the former Socceroo-turned-coach. “He’s a very good coach,” Mooy said. “The style that he wants to play is the way I like playing as well. I’m happy to be playing under him. He’s intimidating! But the way he wants to play football, I want to play like that as well. I’m enjoying it.” 

The Aussies have certainly been easy on the eye on the road to Russia, with no other side in Asia scoring more goals than their 29 in Round 2. They now face Iraq, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Thailand and United Arab Emirates in a difficult-looking Round 3 group. 

“It’s definitely a tough group,” Mooy said. “There are a few hard nations in there, especially the away games are always difficult. We’re confident the way we’re playing and improving. Each game that I’ve been involved in I’ve seen an improvement in the way we’re playing. Hopefully, by the time the qualifiers come around, we’ll be at the top of our game.” 

Mooy will now have time zone differences to contend with when World Cup qualifying resumes in September, after making a move to Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City from their sister club in Melbourne. Mooy has often drawn comparisons from sections of the Socceroos’ support with one of Guardiola’s proteges, Andres Iniesta. 

“He’s obviously a player that I’ve grown up watching,” Mooy grinned, rather sheepishly. “He’s right at the top of the game. He’s a great player, great to watch.” 

Upon signing for City, Mooy has been loaned immediately to second-tier outfit Huddersfield Town, and it seems more than likely that he will settle well into the area after his initial sojourn in England. Huddersfield is less than an hour from Bolton and his Scottish fiancée (they met during his St Mirren spell) will also help Mooy feel at ‘home’. 

However Mooy gets on with his return to the UK, he will not be taking his spot in any of Postecoglou’s future line-ups for granted. “Anything can happen,” Mooy said. “You could go back to your club, be in bad form and not get picked. I just try and play my way into the team every single time.” 

It is that kind of attitude which means Mooy is likely to be front and centre, not watching from the sidelines with the rest of planet football, when the Socceroos next capture the world’s imagination.

• Like 1

The more I think about this move to Huddersfield the more I like it. Initially I must say I was quite put off in him moving to a town more famous for the birth of Rugby League than football (& in fact the last time I noticed Huddersfield, a decade ago, they were in the 4th tier), rather than 1 of the better known clubs at this level (eg Villa, Bitmingham,Leeds. Ipswich etc etc). Forgetting history though he seems to be at a club with a gaffer that wants to play his style and is almost certainly good enough to be one of the first picked every week. Unlike many Aussie footballers he has chosen to go to a level he is guaranteed to play at, rather than going to the highest level possible, only to then not play regularly. It seems an astute move*. In 12 months he can move onwards and upwards (though right now the club will be dreaming of winning promotion & all going onwards and upwards), with a year of hard football in his legs.

* incidental a young Cahill chose Millwall over higher level clubs, for similar reasons.

• Like 3

if the team makes the playoffs for promotion it would be huge experience for him on a stage like Wembley - especially leading into a World Cup 

not to mention playing the cup competitions. As others have mentioned, I think this move will turn out to be a lot better than everyone initially thought. 

On 17/07/2016 at 5:58 PM, Tesla said:

Just goes to show he really should have gone to a better league

It is disappointing not to see him play in a stronger league but I'm pretty sure that CFG did not consider the many offers that came in for Mooy, they were desperate to get him to Manchester.

CFG expect Melbourne City to provide at least 1 player to the Manchester first team in the 10 years after the acquisition and they know that Mooy will probably be the best player they get from Melbourne during this time. He goes on loan for a season, then spends the next on the fringes of the first team.

By bringing Mooy to Manchester, the big wigs at CFG are validating their earlier decision to acquire Melbourne Heart. When the owners ask what they have to show for the millions they invested in Melbourne, CFG will point to Mooy and say that they at least got 1 player, which was the original metric for success.

Is he good enough to have a significant impact at Manchester City? Probably not. Is he good enough to be playing in one of the big four leagues right now? Absolutely. Unlike some others I don't see what Mooy has to gain by spending yet another year in a league that is clearly beneath him.

But I will still constantly check results and match reports in the hope that he is dominating for Huddersfield.

Liverpool largely controlled possession and pressed Town pretty hard, which limited his opportunities.

Looked very sharp when he got a chance though and played one great ball that almost resulted in a goal.

Commentators were impressed with him, and were hilarious when discussing the A-League. Called us the 'big club' of the league.

They were discussing his move from WSW to us, and were chatting about what the EPL equivalent move would be. They landed on Liverpool to Chelsea.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Liverpool largely controlled possession and pressed Town pretty hard, which limited his opportunities.

Looked very sharp when he got a chance though and played one great ball that almost resulted in a goal.

Commentators were impressed with him, and were hilarious when discussing the A-League. Called us the 'big club' of the league.

They were discussing his move from WSW to us, and were chatting about what the EPL equivalent move would be. They landed on Liverpool to Chelsea.

Hang on. Dont WSW supporters keep telling us they invented football in Australia? How could the commentators make such a rookie mistake?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, n i k o said:

City set to snap up another South American

Melbourne City are reportedly set to sign 26-year-old Fernando Brandan as a replacement for Aaron Mooy.

@Tesla

So I was correct that he is a number #10? (not that I think these media outlets know anymore than we do)

Or I was wrong because I said Brattan is Mooy's replacement? (which is because Bratten will prove more Mooyesque due to his his passing game, hence why he is Mooy's true replacement)

Edited by Tesla

12 minutes ago, Tesla said:

So I was correct that he is a number #10? (not that I think these media outlets know anymore than we do)

Or I was wrong because I said Brattan is Mooy's replacement? (which is because Bratten will prove more Mooyesque due to his his passing game, hence why he is Mooy's true replacement)

Nah I'm backing both points. I think you were generally right in that Brattan was intended to be Mooys replacement. Where things changed is Mooys game tranformed into the number 10 role obviously due to Koren being out for so long. Its very likely hes our intended number 10 based on his videos. 

• Like 1

well there was a post from the a-league page on Facebook I'm pretty sure that said Kilkenny is the replacement for Mooy

all I know is we still have 2 visa spots left to fill. I would be surprised if we couldn't fit Brandan's wage demands in the salary cap

Edited by heart_fan10

Every midfielder signed this year has been promoted in the media as "the replacement for Mooy". 

What we are all interested in though is who is the mystery marquee they have had lined up for months (which is more correctly the replacement for Mooy). Might take a while for this information to emerge. 

12 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Every midfielder signed this year has been promoted in the media as "the replacement for Mooy". 

What we are all interested in though is who is the mystery marquee they have had lined up for months (which is more correctly the replacement for Mooy). Might take a while for this information to emerge. 

I reckon it's Brandan. 

• Like 2

If he is a 10 then our midfield looks set. It will be Kilkenny (8), Bratten (6) and Brandan (10).  Even if we play with 5 across the middle we just introduce wide players in Kamau/ Fitzy and who ever we have on the other wing (no one??). So surely the lw will get some love with one of the visa spots. This will allow us 2 up front with Cahill and Bruno with Gameiro on the bench. This would mean 3 at the back which one would assume would be Franjic, Malik, Chapman with Muscat next cab off the rank especially if Franjic is still not 100%.

So 2 visa spots left with the left hand side of the park looking fairly bare currently. We could probably do with another centre back although I don't think we are precarious there as some might suggest. Actually I wouldn't mind if we went after the young Sudanese boy from Victory at centre back/ dm he is a massive talent. As well as a couple of left sided players to round out the roster.

7 minutes ago, Jovan said:

If you add Fernando to Brandan its actually quite a big name and we haven't actually discussed wether he has middle name. So as far as names go it's up there in size.

And South Americans usually have about 10 middle names

• Like 1

The more I think of it, the more I believe we are not looking for a direct 'Mooy replacement' as such.

The midfield evolved last season from what looked to be a formidable setup on paper at the start of the season, to by what was the end of the campaign, pretty much a 'no Mooy - no City' setup.

This season sees the acquisitions of Brattan, Kilkenny and Brandan(99%) with perhaps another visa/marquee - players who are all more than capable and can boss it in this league. Add in Caceres and the other current City players and the need to find a direct replacement for Mooy, imo, is no longer as relevant as we now have the quality to spread that load.

Hence the reliance on one player to deliver for us to win is no longer as important and it makes us much more dangerous.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rass said:

The more I think of it, the more I believe we are not looking for a direct 'Mooy replacement' as such.

The midfield evolved last season from what looked to be a formidable setup on paper at the start of the season, to by what was the end of the campaign, pretty much a 'no Mooy - no City' setup.

This season sees the acquisitions of Brattan, Kilkenny and Brandan(99%) with perhaps another visa/marquee - players who are all more than capable and can boss it in this league. Add in Caceres and the other current City players and the need to find a direct replacement for Mooy, imo, is no longer as relevant as we now have the quality to spread that load.

Hence the reliance on one player to deliver for us to win is no longer as important and it makes us much more dangerous.

Agree but what I'm not sure about is who are replacement is for Bruno if he goes down clutching his ankle and is sidelined for weeks :droy:.  Mooy was part of our goal scoring/creating support cast from last season and Gameiro didn't start against Port so who knows whether he's got any game time or goals in him????

20 minutes ago, M13 said:

Having watched the game now I´d say that he ain´t ready for the upper level EPL yet..The pace is something he must get used to as Liverpool closed him down again and again, well, not just him of course.

In his defence I think they targeted him as well. Watching that first half when Huddersfield had the ball there was always a player that was shadowing him. 

Its good though he's being challenged like that.