Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

Socceroo Aaron Mooy has been nominated as one of four candidates for the Championship Player of the Month for August.

The new Huddersfield Town signing started all five Championship games for his club in August, helping them to sit top of the table.

The official EFL website read: “Mooy is the creative force behind his side’s unbeaten start.

“Playing in a deeper role than normal, his vision and probing passes from deep have set Huddersfield on the front foot.

“His delivery from set pieces has also proved vital.”

Mooy has been nominated alongside Fulham's Tom Cairney, Wolverhampton's Matt Doherty and Barnsley's Conor Hourihane.

The winner will be announced on Friday.

It's the latest accolade for 25-year-old Mooy who joined Manchester City on a three-year deal in June before being loaned out to the Terriers.

Mooy scored 11 goals and provided 20 assists last term for Melbourne City.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, M13 said:

Smart move by Hudds to make him a deep "playmaker".. I doubt that he´ll ever play as a number 10 again.

I think he is now developing an additional positional skill. If he can boss it from deeper that makes him an even more valuable player. If he can dominate in the championship playing that deeper Pirlo type role he may even get an opportunity at Manchester. My only querie will be his durability. Playing twice a week constantly takes its toll. Having said that he carried cracked ribs for several weeks last year.

He has everything at his feet and it's great to see him taking his opportunity and making a big statement in the UK.

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Can't see him at Manchester with Pep. I mean that's just beyond anything I would have realistically expected with Mooy. I can see him getting picked up by an EPL side though should Huddersfield not get promoted. 

Yeah, I'd just love for him to be a key player for any EPL side.

Sounds like he's killing it and taking no prisoners ...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37330495

Leeds boss Garry Monk said Huddersfield matchwinner Aaron Mooy should have been sent off for a "horrendous" foul in the west Yorkshire derby at Elland Road.

Midfielder Mooy scored a 25-yard winner for the Championship leaders.

But Monk was furious Mooy was still on the pitch, believing the Australian should have been given a red card and not a yellow for a lunging tackle on Liam Bridcutt in the first half.

"Two-footed, off the ground, totally out of control," Monk said of the foul.

"I don't want to talk about referees. But if you see that and you can't tell me that's a sending off, I don't know what is.

"It was a horrendous tackle that he made."

Huddersfield head coach David Wagner said Mooy's tackle was not worthy of dismissal in England, but would have been a straight red-card offence in his native Germany.

"In England no red card. Germany, red card," said Wagner, whose side are top of the table by four points after five wins from their six league matches.

"But we are not in Germany, we are in England. This is what I've learned. This was a pretty hard, British challenge.

"It came too late, but I didn't think for one second it would be a red card because I've been 10 months now in British football and I know, this was not okay, he was too late. Yellow."

Edited by Torn Asunder

4 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Seeing Mooy being praised as the catalyst to Hudders top position it makes me wonder where we would have been if he hadn't been in the team. We prob wouldn't have made the top six.   

Minus his assists and goals which was about what 30+ of our goals?

Edited by haz