Melbourne Football

The Jason Hoffman Appreciation thread

Ando

Man of the match for me tonight.

His spinning routine where he left three Wellington players on the ground was the highlight of this season :lol:.

Agree, I thought he was brilliant tonight too. Loved it how he left them on the ground in a heap!

Hoff the terminator!!!

• Like 1

Credit where credit's due, the Hoff is noticeably improving. He is the only player to improve under Aloisi.

Which makes sense, because Aloisi has supported Hoffman and played him every chance he's gotten. Hoffman has never been substituted, and despite having a rather bad injury, he's played 7 full games (over 630 minutes), because Aloisi has always played Hoffman whenever he's fit (BTW, for comparison, Walker played 3 games while Hoffman was injured, and was subbed off with 15 minutes to go in the 3rd game).

It just pains me that Walker has been so consistently overlooked. His confidence must be shot to pieces, and now because of Aloisi Walker is practically someone who paints surfboards for a living rather than a footballer.

I'm glad to see that one of our players is improving, but as other have said it's an indictment on the rest of the squad and how little players have improved under Aloisi.

Edited by Murfy1

Yes Murfy.

Isn't it amazing what having the backing and training from a coach can do for a player. Not only Walker, but imagine how Garuccio, Mauk, Retre, Vrankovic and the rest of our young players are feeling this morning knowing that JA is waiting for Germano and D-Mac to come back from injury so that we have options. You wouldn't read about it!... Oh wait, we have.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump. To get Hoffman out of the Mooy thread.

My thoughts on Hoffman:

I agree about Hoffman being sub-par. The Sydney goal came down his side (terrible positioning), he was at fault for the first Adelaide goal (he got beat by bloody short Mabil in the air) and a Hoffman turnover lead to the corner for the Newcastle goal. And that's things off the top of my head for the last 3 games.

I'm pretty certain that if we keep Hoffman, Walker will go. Surely we won't keep both of our RBs? And maybe they will sign a new RB, and Hoffman will become the second choice RB (and a general utility).

There's still a huge amount of changes that Man City can (and probably will) make with the squad, and it'll be hard to understand what squad we'll have for next season until most of those changes occur.

Good to see that he'll stay on for at least one more year. Him and Kalmar are the only foundation players left IIRC.

i don't understand the obsession with sentimentality/nostalgia over foundation players. most of them have moved on because they were good enough to go further or they were cut cause they were shit (that's a generalisation i know).

kalmar has survived because he's been perhaps unlucky with injuries which justified this season at least but how can JHoff a 25 year old player that has 'marginally' improved be cause for a new contract and praises usually reserved for the top echelon of socceroos????

• Like 1

Good to see that he'll stay on for at least one more year. Him and Kalmar are the only foundation players left IIRC.

i don't understand the obsession with sentimentality/nostalgia over foundation players. most of them have moved on because they were good enough to go further or they were cut cause they were shit (that's a generalisation i know).

kalmar has survived because he's been perhaps unlucky with injuries which justified this season at least but how can JHoff a 25 year old player that has 'marginally' improved be cause for a new contract and praises usually reserved for the top echelon of socceroos????

Hoff has been our best player this season by far.

Consistent, solid defensively, and (comparatively) smart going forward.

Bump. To get Hoffman out of the Mooy thread.

My thoughts on Hoffman:

I agree about Hoffman being sub-par. The Sydney goal came down his side (terrible positioning), he was at fault for the first Adelaide goal (he got beat by bloody short Mabil in the air) and a Hoffman turnover lead to the corner for the Newcastle goal. And that's things off the top of my head for the last 3 games.

I'm pretty certain that if we keep Hoffman, Walker will go. Surely we won't keep both of our RBs? And maybe they will sign a new RB, and Hoffman will become the second choice RB (and a general utility).

There's still a huge amount of changes that Man City can (and probably will) make with the squad, and it'll be hard to understand what squad we'll have for next season until most of those changes occur.

If it's true that he has been re-signed, I'm extremely disappointed.

I would have thought that we could have done a lot better and still not necessarily paid any more. Hoffman is already 25, I don't see a lot of growth potential in him, and he's really only holding a place in the team because the alternative is a kid with less overall football experience. He's been a successful under-age representative striker, but ineffective in that position for Heart, and equally ineffective in a midfield role. I don't agree with the analysis that he has improved, because he's in a back line that has leaked goals all season.

I'm also disappointed in that such a re-signing seems to run counter to what we had expected from the change in ownership, and counter to the specific instruction allegedly handed down by Ferran Soriano. Perhaps the instruction came as a result?

I'm also disappointed because it seems to me there was absolutely no rush to re-sign this player, indeed any player, at this particular point in time. I would have thought that the new owners would have wanted  more time to look at players, especially if they are importing new coaching and administrative staff.

Overall my concerns are more about the process. IMO the sooner some new administrators get on site the better; the old guard has hardly covered itself with glory and if we are going to perform better on the field we need a better overall squad.

Overall feeling of disappointment, added to suspicion that this is a stuff-up by people I would prefer leave the club asap.

• Like 2

In a 23 man squad with a salary, you need to have players like Hoffman. I have no problems with him being our 23rd best player next season.

Bloody oath mate, can't imagine he would be on much coin compared to others. He is a handy squad member who is a a ulitility. We must remember this is a salary capped league.

In a 23 man squad with a salary, you need to have players like Hoffman. I have no problems with him being our 23rd best player next season.

Bloody oath mate, can't imagine he would be on much coin compared to others. He is a handy squad member who is a a ulitility. We must remember this is a salary capped league.

Pretty much.

People seem to wonder how Sydney keep spending so much money, well outside of their top 4-5 players have a look at the rest of their squad. They've got a ridiculous amount of no talent hacks who are probably on next to nothing, hence they have room in the cap to spend.

We obviously don't want to go to that extreme but you still need players in your squad who are simply there to back-up/create competition for certain positions and are on low wages.

Edited by King Malta

What about Kewell since he has returned?

What about Kewell since he has returned?

Well that's the problem right there; "since he has returned".

Someone who missed 7 of 17 weeks of football can't be considered the most consistent or best player of the year (so far).

He has been good for the past four or five games though, so maybe by season's end things will change.

Bump for a serious analysis of hoffman's stats.

V Perth (admittedly it was hot so all players will be down)

- 14 passes received from Murdocca / 13 passes to Dugandzic

- 33 of 49 passes completed (67%)

- 3 of 3 clearances won

- 0 crosses attempted

V Sydney

- 7 passes received from Wielaert / 10 passes to Wielaert

- 28 of 34 passes completed (82%)

- 2 backpasses

- 0 of 1 crosses successful

- 3 of 3 clearances won

Of course stats mean barely anything out of context but what that shows me:

- Doesn't cross, meaning he isn't frequently forward enough to be in a crossing position (Good or bad?)

- Doesn't influence the game through consistently presenting for a pass

- Against Perth it seems Mass was dropping back to pick up the ball but against Sydney Hoff and RW seemed to mostly exchange passes w/ each other.

- Is competent defensively whilst not really 'adding' anything.

- Commits very few fouls but is not often fouled as there seems to be few times he has a man marking.

A bit of a propaganda campaign coming out of Heart HQ with regards to Hoffman recently:

12 Feb Article: 'Hoffman relishing new position'

Melbourne Heart FC defender Jason Hoffman has relished his new role in the Red and White's defence this season after making the successful transition from a midfielder to a robust right-back. .............

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Hoffman-relishing-new-position/85812

13 Feb Email subject line: 'Engelaar Returns, Hoffman Thriving, Murdocca the Maestro'

22 Feb Article: 'Analysis: Broich vs. 'The Hoff' '

[...]

The chief weapon among Brisbane’s attacking ranks is German Thomas Broich who has taken the A-League by storm, and is now in his fourth season down under.

[...]

Luckily, for John van’t Schip and Melbourne Heart’s fans, the Red and White have the ‘Hoff’ who is in form and primed to take on Broich if their paths do cross on Sunday.

Last week against Wellington Phoenix, Hoffman again put in the type of performance that has helped his side improve defensively.

Hoffman impressed, as seen below*, by dominating his defensive area with clearances, aerial duels, tackles and interceptions.

JasonHoffmanDashboard_zps0a1c313d.png

Hoffman will hope his team defends solidly as a uni; however, when it comes to one-on-one challenges, if pitted together, Broich vs. the ‘Hoff’ will provide an intriguing battle within a highly important match for both sides.  ..............

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Analysis-Broich-vs-The-Hoff/86662

It's been positive how serviceable Hoffman has been (although I'd say that Hoffman works so much because he's regularly targeted, and going to ground often isn't always a good thing), but the amount of attention and praise Hoffman has been getting from Heart HQ just looks strange. I reckon Heart did re-sign him recently. A key question though is if we'll sign another RB for next season, but I'm not sure that we'll have enough squad spots to do so (I'm also unsure if there's any good Australian RBs available for next season).

Edited by Murfy1