Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

26 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Football operations manager John Didulica, head of talent recruitment Michael Petrillo and CFG's managing director of football services Brian Marwood can handle Melbourne City's recruitment. The coach probably gives the final word of approval, but I'd say these three influence recruiting so much that they could do some basic recruiting (e.g. move on deadwood like Aaron Hughes and James Brown, and re-sign a cheap backup GK in Bouzanis) if there was no coach.

Whatever's exactly Melbourne City's byzantine organisational structure, they better do some recruiting quickly, because there's not that many good Australian players out there and we can't afford for them all to get snapped up by other clubs. Losing Wilkinson to Sydney, signing Manny Muscat and seemingly not being in the race for decent talent like Devante Clut (signed by Newcastle today) is an uninspiring start to Melbourne City's recruitment for the 2016/17 season. The only decent free agents left IMO are Dylan McGowan, Bruce Kamau, Steven Lustica and Mitchell Oxborrow (which isn't exactly a super list of players). It would also help the club recruit members for next season if the club was known to be active and ambitious in the transfer market, rather than reactive and penny-pinching. 

McGowan and Kamau are on our shopping list aren't they? Also don't forget Luke Brattan. And it cramps them a bit while while inside-cap players Novillo and Fornaroli are making noises as they are.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I'm only a little surprised that both Marino and Dekker have both been released. Even if they had been retained I don't think either would have been starting players for next season, and the nature of the A-League these days is such that you need a strong bench if you are to challenge for silverware. In general terms we've had a weak bench this season, and many's the time I've shuddered when I've looked at it - kids and make-weights. Just off the top of my head players such as Castelen, Santalab and Henrique have come off other benches to be match-winners for their clubs.
Everyone's governed by the salary cap, and in the future we have to aim for a squad with more depth.

I see it so somewhat differently. 

As I've said a few times before, there seems to be a proven strategy for building a top team in this salary capped league. And that is to spend your money on your starting players (not necessarily 11 players, maybe 1-2 players less and accepting a position like LB is a weakness or whatever, maybe 1-2 players more since you will never have everyone available.), and then filling the squad out with players on or close to the minimum salary.

I believe that is the logic behind releasing someone like Marino, he is at the point where he will no longer accept the minimum salary, but he isn't good enough to be more than a backup player, so CFG will probably bring in someone a year or two younger and on the minimum salary. Thereby leaving a bit more money to spend on the first choice players.

It works for Marino too, and maybe he even wanted to leave, because he won't get much game time with us but can go to someone like Melbourne City B Adelaide United and play every week and realise his potential. 

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Tesla said:

As I've said a few times before, there seems to be a proven strategy for building a top team in this salary capped league. And that is to spend your money on your starting players (not necessarily 11 players, maybe 1-2 players less and accepting a position like LB is a weakness or whatever, maybe 1-2 players more since you will never have everyone available.), and then filling the squad out with players on or close to the minimum salary.

I believe that is the logic behind releasing someone like Marino, he is at the point where he will no longer accept the minimum salary, but he isn't good enough to be more than a backup player, so CFG will probably bring in someone a year or two younger and on the minimum salary. Thereby leaving a bit more money to spend on the first choice players.

It works for Marino too, and maybe he even wanted to leave, because he won't get much game time with us but can go to someone like Melbourne City B Adelaide United and play every week and realise his potential. 

This bit made me laugh a lot

58 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Marc marino is 19. and eligible for the youth contract. I'd be surprised if there were other clubs offering well above that 

14 minutes ago, Luke said:

Marc marino is 19. and eligible for the youth contract. I'd be surprised if there were other clubs offering well above that 

Youth contracts are on very low wagers, unfotuenlty there's no way Marino would've agreed to a youth contract.

We have been linked with McGowan, Kamau and Liam Rose, who would all be good players to have.

Sorensen/Bouzanis
Franjic/ Retre/Muscat, Chapman/Malik, McGowan/Kisnorbo, Zullo/Garrucio/Muscat
Brattan/Rose, Caceras/Melling 
????/Caceras
Fitzgerald/Kamau, ????/Gamerio, Novillo/Kamau/Zullo

Other Aussie players that may be looked at in my opinion: 
Kwame Yeboah (unsure as to how he is going)
James Holland (if we dont get Brattan could be another option, think would demand marquee wouldnt want if thats the case)
Awer Mabil (Especially with the Gombau rumour)
Dylan McGowan ( Unsure as to whether he has signed with Sydney FC)
Curtis Good ( to many injuries maybe seek a move back home?)
Troisi ( Aussie replacement for Mooy)
Neil Kilkenny ( potentially same as Troisi in he could replace Mooy although think playing style is similar to that of Caceras)

No guarantees Bruno Fornaroli and Harry Novillo will be at Melbourne City next season

April 28, 2016 9:00pm

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

MELBOURNE City’s gun visa duo Bruno Fornaroli and Harry Novillo depart for post-season holidays with their futures in limbo.

Record-breaking scorer Fornaroli is stalling on signing a new contract, with City having offered him an upgraded deal that would elevate him to marquee status.

Attacker Novillo hinted on Thursday he may depart and said a marquee deal may be needed to keep him in Australia.

Both are contracted for another year, but having scoring 35 and creating 10 goals between them, the uncertainty is concerning with Aaron Mooy (11 goals and 20 assists) destined to be sold to Europe.

“I really don’t know talking to you if I will be back next season,’’ Novillo said.

“I love Australia but it’s a bit far from (France) and I have to think about it if I want to come back next season.

“If nobody wants me, I have to come back. If somebody wants me they have to pay a transfer fee. The club would expect a transfer fee.’’

City have cut Aaron Hughes, James Brown, Jason Trifiro, Marc Marino and Wade Dekker along with assistant coach Luciano Trani, while fellow assistant Ivan Jolic walked.

Keeper Dean Bouzanis signed on.

Fornaroli, who leaves for Uruguay on Friday, was offered a fresh three-year deal believed to be worth over $700,000-aseason but his management is noncommittal amid overseas interest.

City refused to comment on either player but said they expect to see the pair back for pre-season in late June.

“Staying in the salary cap is not an objective for my career,’’ Novillo said.

“With 10 clubs and maybe 20 marquees, I expect that at least something is coming, but if it’s not coming it’s not my choice. That can make me stay in the country.

“I played only 20 games this season, not a full season, and if you look at the marquees from all the other clubs, only (Besart) Berisha did more than me.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/no-guarantees-bruno-fornaroli-and-harry-novillo-will-be-at-melbourne-city-next-season/news-story/417c96b7897da9d7b4139f3224bb35b7

5 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

No guarantees Bruno Fornaroli and Harry Novillo will be at Melbourne City next season

April 28, 2016 9:00pm

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

MELBOURNE City’s gun visa duo Bruno Fornaroli and Harry Novillo depart for post-season holidays with their futures in limbo.

Record-breaking scorer Fornaroli is stalling on signing a new contract, with City having offered him an upgraded deal that would elevate him to marquee status.

Attacker Novillo hinted on Thursday he may depart and said a marquee deal may be needed to keep him in Australia.

Both are contracted for another year, but having scoring 35 and creating 10 goals between them, the uncertainty is concerning with Aaron Mooy (11 goals and 20 assists) destined to be sold to Europe.

“I really don’t know talking to you if I will be back next season,’’ Novillo said.

“I love Australia but it’s a bit far from (France) and I have to think about it if I want to come back next season.

“If nobody wants me, I have to come back. If somebody wants me they have to pay a transfer fee. The club would expect a transfer fee.’’

City have cut Aaron Hughes, James Brown, Jason Trifiro, Marc Marino and Wade Dekker along with assistant coach Luciano Trani, while fellow assistant Ivan Jolic walked.

Keeper Dean Bouzanis signed on.

Fornaroli, who leaves for Uruguay on Friday, was offered a fresh three-year deal believed to be worth over $700,000-aseason but his management is noncommittal amid overseas interest.

City refused to comment on either player but said they expect to see the pair back for pre-season in late June.

“Staying in the salary cap is not an objective for my career,’’ Novillo said.

“With 10 clubs and maybe 20 marquees, I expect that at least something is coming, but if it’s not coming it’s not my choice. That can make me stay in the country.

“I played only 20 games this season, not a full season, and if you look at the marquees from all the other clubs, only (Besart) Berisha did more than me.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/no-guarantees-bruno-fornaroli-and-harry-novillo-will-be-at-melbourne-city-next-season/news-story/417c96b7897da9d7b4139f3224bb35b7

I just hope it's bullshit speculation by the media regarding Bruno Murfy

I believe he should do like Aaron done and give the club another season. Then if he wants to move he can

1 minute ago, Kinnibari said:

""Staying in the salary cap is not an objective for my career,’’ Novillo said."

Lol, what a quote. No way worth a marquee spot for us.

All the best to Marino and Dekker.

Harry, mate, your career was in tatters before you joined us. We rescued you after you fell out with crappy French League 2 club Clermont Foot, and most clubs would have ditched you after your domestic. Pull your head in, get fit, and start delivering 95 minutes of classy football every match and rebuild your career before you even think about being a marquee.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

""Staying in the salary cap is not an objective for my career,’’ Novillo said."

Lol, what a quote. No way worth a marquee spot for us.

All the best to Marino and Dekker.

Such a stupid comment. If we're to reflect on his season, for a majority of the time he wasn't useful defensively during games, he had disciplinary issues, and he seemed to go missing at the very tail end of the season. He did score 10 goals in 20 games however but that's not the be all and end all to being a top player in this league. If he thinks based on his 'overall' performance for the season that he is a deserved marquee then good luck to him. But it's certainly not with this club. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

Such a stupid comment. If we're to reflect on his season, for a majority of the time he wasn't useful defensively during games, he had disciplinary issues, and he seemed to go missing at the very tail end of the season. He did score 10 goals in 20 games however but that's not the be all and end all to being a top player in this league. If he thinks based on his 'overall' performance for the season that he is a deserved marquee then good luck to him. But it's certainly not with this club. 

Very true.

But I think he's also comparing himself to the output of Koren and Kennedy. So he does have a case. I don't like his chances of getting a Marquee deal with us but good chance another A League side might consider him. Maybe even the tards?

13 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Very true.

But I think he's also comparing himself to the output of Koren and Kennedy. So he does have a case. I don't like his chances of getting a Marquee deal with us but good chance another A League side might consider him. Maybe even the tards?

I agree. I don't think he would be the only one comparing himself to both Koren and Kennedy. 

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Very true.

I would have thought that comparing himself to the output of Koren and Kennedy is a very poor argument indeed. He should be saying he's up there with the best, not better than the worst.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

I would have thought that comparing himself to the output of Koren and Kennedy is a very poor argument indeed. He should be saying he's up there with the best, not better than the worst.

That's being idealistic. Reality is he will compare himself to extremely average performing player getting 4 times what he's getting. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Harry, mate, your career was in tatters before you joined us. We rescued you after you fell out with crappy French League 2 club Clermont Foot, and most clubs would have ditched you after your domestic. Pull your head in, get fit, and start delivering 95 minutes of classy football every match and rebuild your career before you even think about being a marquee.

Visitors don't ditch their players after domestics. It's a logical destination, watch Harry and Muscat punching on on the touchline

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Can I forward this to his Twitter account? Perfect. 

On 28 April 2016 at 9:43 AM, jw1739 said:

He also compared himself to Berisha (basically saying he was right behind him in performance). Now I'm not Betisha's biggest fan but I dare say he manages to turn up to training on time.

What our friend Harty fails to acknowledge is whilst he is a good player, his behaviour means he plays for a discount.

Im sure the Mariners would look at a marquee deal for him (if they can collect enough aluminium cans etc).

4 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

He also compared himself to Berisha (basically saying he was right behind him in performance). Now I'm not Betisha's biggest fan but I dare say he manages to turn up to training on time.

What our friend Harty fails to acknowledge is whilst he is a good player, his behaviour means he plays for a discount.

Im sure the Mariners would look at a marquee deal for him (if they can collect enough aluminium cans etc).

One further misdemeanour in Gosford would fix him up too. The NSW police would beat the shit out of him once and for all.

1 minute ago, MHFC-FAN said:

At the end of the day whoever stays or goes or gets signed won't make a difference if we are still being managed by jvs. Safely pencil in another wasted season for 16/17...

All I'll say is I never would have picked Aloisi to take a team to 3rd position and the semis. And I rate JVS far higher than JA. Ready to be suprised next season and for all the JVS admirers to come out and give us the Johnny Warren. 

Just now, n i k o said:

All I'll say is I never would have picked Aloisi to take a team to 3rd position and the semis. And I rate JVS far higher than JA. Ready to be suprised next season and for all the JVS admirers to come out and give us the Johnny Warren. 

I hear your barking, and I usually like being optimistic however jvs has the majic pessimistic touch.

Top 3 teams all had a spanish 6 who can read the game and pass the ball well. Our 2 6's for the season are so far behind those guys it's not funny. Victory looked better with Valeri (a good 6) in their side. I think our recruiting should start there (after a new coach of course).

• Like 4

11 hours ago, wombegongal said:

Top 3 teams all had a spanish 6 who can read the game and pass the ball well. Our 2 6's for the season are so far behind those guys it's not funny. Victory looked better with Valeri (a good 6) in their side. I think our recruiting should start there (after a new coach of course).

I reckon we've already recruited our # 6 for next season: Luke Brattan. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tommac said:

I reckon we've already recruited our # 6 for next season: Luke Brattan. 

This, with Wilkinson, Hughes and Kisnorbo all going I think we'll see Malik play more as a CB. If he was used as a third/fourth choice CB and a second choice DM we'd have some serious depth options.