Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

This particular signing at such a late time in the season makes it more confusing as to what's going to happen. Is City allowing JVS to make these signings, and does that mean they haven't decided whether he will still be here next season. Does this mean they still plan to keep him on? Or are the players being delivered to JVS as suggestions with someone else potentially in mind as coach. No idea what's going on. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, n i k o said:

This particular signing at such a late time in the season makes it more confusing as to what's going to happen. Is City allowing JVS to make these signings, and does that mean they haven't decided whether he will still be here next season. Does this mean they still plan to keep him on? Or are the players being delivered to JVS as suggestions with someone else potentially in mind as coach. No idea what's going on. 

It's Michael Petrillo who oversees recruitment. http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/victory/former-adelaide-united-ceo-michael-petrillo-starts-job-with-melbourne-victory/news-story/54360eea8d89dd1f84d1d1c5c172f80f

I look at the signing of Muscat as part of what I see as an urgent need to reinforce our defensive stocks for the next two seasons. He's missed only 2-4 matches per season for the last 5-6 seasons and is still a manageable age. Other than Muscat we have only Chapman, Clisby, Franjic and Malik contracted beyond the end of this season, and of those Franjic has come in for his share of criticism lately. So we're painfully thin at the back without significant new blood. I see Muscat as a squad player who can also start when required, but mainly as someone who can add some grunt from the bench in the last 30 minutes or so. Our benches have been very weak this season so IMO he's a sound signing.

I doubt that we can read anything into this about a change in manager. Not yet, anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

It's Michael Petrillo who oversees recruitment. http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/victory/former-adelaide-united-ceo-michael-petrillo-starts-job-with-melbourne-victory/news-story/54360eea8d89dd1f84d1d1c5c172f80f

I look at the signing of Muscat as part of what I see as an urgent need to reinforce our defensive stocks for the next two seasons. He's missed only 2-4 matches per season for the last 5-6 seasons and is still a manageable age. Other than Muscat we have only Chapman, Clisby, Franjic and Malik contracted beyond the end of this season, and of those Franjic has come in for his share of criticism lately. So we're painfully thin at the back without significant new blood. I see Muscat as a squad player who can also start when required, but mainly as someone who can add some grunt from the bench in the last 30 minutes or so. Our benches have been very weak this season so IMO he's a sound signing.

I doubt that we can read anything into this about a change in manager. Not yet, anyway.

Lol the link to that article writes Victory instead of City. But at least they didn't get it wrong in the actual article.

Not so much of "season over" but more of "planning for 2016-17"...it's going to be interesting to watch what happens to the squad in the off-season, especially with certain players.

Players coming out of contract are Bouzanis, Kisnorbo, Hughes, Zullo, Wilkinson, Trifiro, Caceres (end of loan), Brown, Marino, Dekker and Fitzgerald.
We have two places for visa players, and one marquee place vacant.
We have signed Manny Muscat.

IMO much depends on what happens with Aaron Mooy and what we do with the marquee position(s). Should Kisnorbo go round one more time (tough to cut him - he gives it everything)? How can we keep Fornaroli if he's not a marquee? How can we fit in Wilkinson and Novillo? Will Zullo want to stay? Etc. etc.

All this, quite apart from the question mark over JvS! It's going to be interesting.

• Like 1

I agree that it depends on Mooy's and Wilkinson's destination for next season, if Mooy leaves then we need an equivalent quality number 10, if Wilkinson leaves we need a quality CB, one of those may be a marquee, both likely to be higher paid members of the squad even if not. I'd really try to keep Wilkinson even if he takes a sizeable portion of the cap and sign a visa 10 marquee, then we'll retain a quality spine of the team

57 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm thinking that we might find ourselves in the Brisbane situation where they assembled a good squad of players and then because of the cap and marquee restrictions had to let Berisha go.

One way around this is to identify young and up coming talent. Example Mooy - who was identified by someone at Heart and brought him over. Geria at MV is also another example. And don't forget that we still have Chapman and Melling in the books, so if we can develop them further then that will also go a long way. Fitzgerald is showing potential. Caceres I am not so sure. Brattan could also be here next season.

Am I the only here thinking we should sign a striker if Mooy leaves us? A tall forward ahead tuna and let Tuna play as a shadow striker or attacking midfielder. Keep Zullo play him as left winger. Just imagine the quality crosses from Zullo and Novillo. 

3 minutes ago, alexli said:

Am I the only here thinking we should sign a striker if Mooy leaves us? A tall forward ahead tuna and let Tuna play as a shadow striker or attacking midfielder. Keep Zullo play him as left winger. Just imagine the quality crosses from Zullo and Novillo. 

You want to change the positions of a goal scoring record breaking striker. Your probably not the only one that is thinking that but they don't belong to this club either. 

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

You want to change the positions of a goal scoring record breaking striker. Your probably not the only one that is thinking that but they don't belong to this club either. 

Tuna may play behind a advanced striker all of his career before coming to us. Losing Mooy there will be lack of creativity in attack. A forward in front of Tuna will create more space for him and he may finish next season with 10+goals and 10+ assists, why not?

1 minute ago, alexli said:

Tuna may play behind a advanced striker all of his career before coming to us. Losing Mooy there will be lack of creativity in attack. A forward in front of Tuna will create more space for him and he may finish next season with 10+goals and 10+ assists, why not?

Because we have a true record breaking striker in Bruno. 20 goals and still 4 games left. Why change something that is working unbelievably well? 

If your concerned about the number 10 role I'd expect us to sign a marquee in that position. That's if Mooy does leave. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Because we have a true record breaking striker in Bruno. 20 goals and still 4 games left. Why change something that is working unbelievably well? 

If your concerned about the number 10 role I'd expect us to sign a marquee in that position. That's if Mooy does leave. 

Tuna does what Tuna does. He score goals on his own or with some creative assists from Mooy at al. Don't fcuk with success.

If Mooy leaves, dear God please let it not be true, we need a like for like replacement. FWIW, Mooy with his new child will stay and be paid even more by the club. Bruno to marquee frees a little for the other players under the cap. The combination of Mooy, Bruno, Harry at the sharp end has proven to be irresistible. Why change?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Tuna does what Tuna does. He score goals on his own or with some creative assists from Mooy at al. Don't fcuk with success.

If Mooy leaves, dear God please let it not be true, we need a like for like replacement. FWIW, Mooy with his new child will stay and be paid even more by the club. Bruno to marquee frees a little for the other players under the cap. The combination of Mooy, Bruno, Harry at the sharp end has proven to be irresistible. Why change?

No one outside of our supporters ever thinks to mention one important fact. To think we've done all this goal scoring with a link missing in a renowned aleague quality right winger is scary. Hopefully Gamiero recovers well but if not then another Harry type of player on the right and somehow, we're even more dangerous than this season. 

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

No one outside of our supporters ever thinks to mention one important fact. To think we've done all this goal scoring with a link missing in a renowned aleague quality right winger is scary. Hopefully Gamiero recovers well but if not then another Harry type of player on the right and somehow, we're even more dangerous than this season. 

Krishna would have been good, Has Diego Castro resigned with Perth Yet ? 

What a front line that would be 

Edited by Luke

18 minutes ago, Luke said:

Krishna would have been good, Has Diego Castro resigned with Perth Yet ? 

What a front line that would be 

Castro hassnt resigned and looks like he won't since he found out how much Holosko was getting.

i have a feeling Mooy will leave and his rep lament will be a statement.

Also still holding hope they make the visas 3+1 and all outside the cap, simplifying the rules which will lead to less rorting and also allowing more money to go to local players.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

Castro hassnt resigned and looks like he won't since he found out how much Holosko was getting.

i have a feeling Mooy will leave and his rep lament will be a statement.

Also still holding hope they make the visas 3+1 and all outside the cap, simplifying the rules which will lead to less rorting and also allowing more money to go to local players.

That's the only way the game will grow 3 + 1 with all being paid outside the cap and if it doesn't happen anytime soon i feel the game will lose its appeal. 

With more money being available to the locals to save them going to Europe too early. 

2 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

That's the only way the game will grow 3 + 1 with all being paid outside the cap and if it doesn't happen anytime soon i feel the game will lose its appeal. 

With more money being available to the locals to save them going to Europe too early. 

At that point you're really defeating the purpose of the cap. The next move should be to increase the cap as a whole with the new tv deal 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AntiScum said:

With more money being available to the locals to save them going to Europe too early

Are you suggesting that say Stefan Mauk was offered a contract in one the top 4 or Dutch/Belgium/Swiss/Greek leagues at season's end he would not go if he was offered more money? I think that you are overestimating the power of monetary compensation when it comes to a young player and the ability to test themselves at a higher level league. AFAIK there has only been one Aussie player, Emerton, who declined to move to Europe when approached as a young man because he thought that it was too early.

10 hours ago, Luke said:

At that point you're really defeating the purpose of the cap. The next move should be to increase the cap as a whole with the new tv deal 

It`s going to be the only way to attract top class players to the league. If you look at the MLS and whats happening in China can you suggest any other way to bring out players because lets face it not  may top class players will come out to a very average league to play for peanuts. Would you go to the MLS and earn some 6mil a year or come to australia for some 900k. Top quatliy will generate so much interest in the game and as the saying goes "you get what you pay for"

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Are you suggesting that say Stefan Mauk was offered a contract in one the top 4 or Dutch/Belgium/Swiss/Greek leagues at season's end he would not go if he was offered more money? I think that you are overestimating the power of monetary compensation when it comes to a young player and the ability to test themselves at a higher level league. AFAIK there has only been one Aussie player, Emerton, who declined to move to Europe when approached as a young man because he thought that it was too early.

I understand where you are coming from but if you bring out top class players they will be able to test themselves right here and wait till they fully develop before they venture away to Europe. It would be so wrong on so many levels to hold a player from testing himself overseas but far too many players go to Europe too early thinking its a dream but find themselves lost 1: unable to adapt 2: far too much pressure 3: being loaned out to a 5th rate league 4: home sickness and the list goes on. 

I know a few players who have been promised the world gone overseas and now are playing divison 3 in the local leagues with a loss of interest in the game.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

It`s going to be the only way to attract top class players to the league. If you look at the MLS and whats happening in China can you suggest any other way to bring out players because lets face it not  may top class players will come out to a very average league to play for peanuts. Would you go to the MLS and earn some 6mil a year or come to australia for some 900k. Top quatliy will generate so much interest in the game and as the saying goes "you get what you pay for"

I understand where you are coming from but if you bring out top class players they will be able to test themselves right here and wait till they fully develop before they venture away to Europe. It would be so wrong on so many levels to hold a player from testing himself overseas but far too many players go to Europe too early thinking its a dream but find themselves lost 1: unable to adapt 2: far too much pressure 3: being loaned out to a 5th rate league 4: home sickness and the list goes on. 

I know a few players who have been promised the world gone overseas and now are playing divison 3 in the local leagues with a loss of interest in the game.

Two separate things:

1. The old NSL had a few clubs bring in big name players only to go bust because the game does not attract the dollars to pay for them. One of the reasons that the FFA is thinking about a single money pool to bring in bigger names is because Sydney FC lost money on ADP but other clubs benefited because of the increased in attendance and merchandise sales. I don't have a solution other than wait for the Communist Party to claim that some of that money is tainted and then send the directors to jail/firing squad. BTW not is Australia facing the issue of the big dollars from China and the MLS - I read recently that German clubs have decided not to compete on financial remuneration.

2. Having one top class player in a club does not make the A-League the equivalent of the European ones. What we are seeing is the learning curve for young Australian players who think that they can conquer the world at such a young age. I expect that over the next five years we will see a few more players delay their overseas jaunt so that they can mature both personally and professionally. The image that I have for professional sports is not a pyramid but a spire with a wide base but very quickly shrinks to a thin column. BTW this also happens in other professions where I have seen many a young gun thinking Melbourne, London and then New York but really are lucky to conquer the suburbs - they also end up bitter.

44 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Two separate things:

1. The old NSL had a few clubs bring in big name players only to go bust because the game does not attract the dollars to pay for them. One of the reasons that the FFA is thinking about a single money pool to bring in bigger names is because Sydney FC lost money on ADP but other clubs benefited because of the increased in attendance and merchandise sales. I don't have a solution other than wait for the Communist Party to claim that some of that money is tainted and then send the directors to jail/firing squad. BTW not is Australia facing the issue of the big dollars from China and the MLS - I read recently that German clubs have decided not to compete on financial remuneration.

2. Having one top class player in a club does not make the A-League the equivalent of the European ones. What we are seeing is the learning curve for young Australian players who think that they can conquer the world at such a young age. I expect that over the next five years we will see a few more players delay their overseas jaunt so that they can mature both personally and professionally. The image that I have for professional sports is not a pyramid but a spire with a wide base but very quickly shrinks to a thin column. BTW this also happens in other professions where I have seen many a young gun thinking Melbourne, London and then New York but really are lucky to conquer the suburbs - they also end up bitter.

1. It would be unfair to compare the NSL to the current game where the NSL was beyond corrupt where money ended up in committee members pockets (which still happens these days and clubs are ruined).

When it comes to Sydney losing money in my opinion you wouldnt really be surprised when you bring out a 37yo the novilty wears off evenutally. You bring out a younger player on a 3 year deal the standard raises his around for 3 years and people will come to watch a better standard of football which will bring out the best in the younger players. There are so many ways around clubs bringing in quality i`ll name one just to give you an idea. When it comes to TV rights you set aside XX amount for 3 stars per side paid by the FFA/TV Rights/Sponsors. The rest of CAP would keep the league balanced keep kids around until they mature. When it comes to German clubs thats just smart management you start chasing stupid wages and clubs go bust. Its not always about the money some players have a balance of league location lifestyle.  

2.  But if you set your target to 3 + 1 that drastically improves everything out of sight. And you are right players have better agents are well guided these days as we see with Mooy 25 still in Australia has now cracked the National Team matured no doubt personally/professionally. If true and he has signed in the UK you could see him making the most it and you could only thank him for what his done for our game and club.

Edited by AntiScum

IMO for next season

Marquees:

Mooy (offer him an even bigger contract if that's what it takes, give him 2 million a season. Club could easily afford it. If we lose Mooy there is no chance we could get a replacement number 10 up to his standard.)

Fornaroli (give him a blank cheque)

Out of contract players:

Bouzanis - Keep. Showed in his cameo vs Nix that he's at worst a decent backup to Sørenson.

Kisnorbo - Keep. Easily our most passionate player besides maybe Bruno. Definitely keep until he wants to retire.

Hughes - Send packing. Terrible signing.

Zullo - Depends how much he's on. If he's on quite a bit of money which I believe he would be I wouldn't keep him. If he's not taking up much cap room probably worth keeping around.

Wilkinson - Keep. Need to work hard to keep this guy at the club. Top signing.

Trifiro - Keep. Doubt he's on a lot of money, decent squaddie to have imo as he is rather servicable.

Caceras - Send packing. Would be on a fair bit of money and he's been awful so far.

Brown - Send packing. Not good enough.

Marino - Keep. Young, not on much money, seems like a future talent, certainly worth keeping.

Dekker - Keep. Same as Marino.

Fitzgerald - Keep, really rate this guy, brings a lot to the team. I like him a lot.

Edited by GreenSeater

7 minutes ago, Cityscape said:

As I've said before, why upgrade Bruno?

He's got another year to run on his 175k deal, let's get a marquee in to fill AAMI.

Until China come along in the off-season and offer him $2mil per season

• Like 2

The main reason to upgrade Bruno would be to tie him down to a longer term contract, so he's signed up for another year or two beyond next season. Also he certainly deserves to be upgraded, and really CFG should be able to bring in some new quality inside the salary cap to fill Bruno's vacated cap space.

A few points on next season

Sad to say that Mooy will almost certainly leave. Contract clauses with buyout options kick-in at the end of the season, and he will go off to Europe. A silver lining IMO is that it will force CFG’s hand to bring in undisputable quality to replace Mooy. Maybe a big name marquee, which would also certainly put bums on seats. If CFG let Mooy pursue his goal to play in Europe and then replace him with another Robert Koren, they may as well not sell memberships next season.

Signed for next season:

GK: Sorensen

DEF: Chapman, Franjic, Clisby, Garuccio

MID: Malik, Melling, Retre

ATT: Fornaroli, Novillo, Gameiro, Kuzmanovski

As for out of contract players:

Bouzanis. If they club can’t get a superior choice who could be a respectable no. 1 in he A-League in 2017-18 (as Sorensen will probably retire after next season), keep.

Kisnorbo. Keep. Maybe can still fight for a starting spot next season, or at very least a quality backup. Would probably be on low wages next season. Also a highly respected player, and someone who actually plays for the shirt.

Zullo. If he stays fit and keeps performing, definitely keep. There aren’t any better Australian LBs available.

Wilkinson. Definitely keep.

Trifiro. Release. Better midfield squaddies out there IMO.

Caceres. Was really hoping he’d work out. We’ll need some Australian quality in midfield next season. Unless he improves significantly and starts effecting the outcomes of games, release.

Brown. Release.

Marino. Keep. On low wages. The club must have 3 players aged 20 or under, and Marino and Kuzi fit the bill

Dekker. Keep. On low wages.

Fitzgerald. Definitely keep.

So 19 players for next season. 17 spots filled, assuming that Melling and Marino continue to occupy 2 of the 3 youth-aged players which count outside of the playing roster & salary cap.

A possible lineup for next season:

Sorensen

Franjic  Wilkinson Kisnorbo Zullo

Malik

?                 ?

Gameiro       Fornaroli       Novillo

Bench: Bouzanis, Chapman, Melling, Fitzgerald,     ?

Omitted: Clisby, Retre, Dekker, Marino, Garuccio, Kuzmanovski

Possible new signings for next season:

* A marquee no 10 Visa player. Surely CFG could come up with an exciting signing that fits the bill

* Luke Brattan? Started on the Man City EDS bench yesterday. Surely his situation in Europe isn't long-term, and he could be a quality option to take up one of our midfield positions next season, alongside Malik and hopefully a marquee no 10

* Out of contract A-League players: Devante Clut, Steven Lustica, James Donachie, Guilherme Finkler, Mark Birighitti, Andreu, Romeo Castelen. The best targets IMO being Birighitti (sign him in place of Bouzanis; he could be the no. 1 in 2017-18), Clut and Lustica.

* A new Visa attacker, preferably a RW.

* Jonatan Germano: A squaddie I'd prefer over Trifiro. As long as he stays fit and keeps playing for his NPL club, have Germano be a train-on during the next pre-season, and if he stays fit and shows he can continue to be useful at A-League level, sign him up. He's now Australian, and he could be signed for minimum to low wages. IMHO this club really needs more players like Kisnorbo and Germano that just really want to play for the shirt.

Nearly every season this club has signed 10 or more new players, and effectively tried to rebuild the squad. Hopefully next season the club only needs to bring in 5 or 6 new players, a few into the starting XI and a few depth players, and doesn't need to do another big rebuild with 10 or more signings again.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AntiScum said:

I didn't say 900k should be the limit for marque spending. If clubs want to sign marquees there's currently nothing saying they can't spend millions if they want too.