Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

Yep, courtesy of Val Migliaccio on Twitter:

Hearing young SA gun attacker @campbelltowncsc Marc Marino off to @MelbCity_FC @TheTiserSport #supertalent

https://twitter.com/Val61/status/474821053554782208

I guess he was right about Jacob Melling, so although I think Val is one of Australia's lesser football journos, he could be right about a Heart signing again.

He seems to be a a fine prospect. He can apparently play as both a striker or a winger (although he's maybe more of a striker).

Marino played at the SA Sports Institute under Tony Vidmar and Joe Mullen. He then spent last year at the AIS, playing in the NYL and the ACT Premier League. He's also trained with Adelaide United's NYL team, has been called up to the Young Socceroos squad, and recently was playing with Campbelltown City (where he was coached by Joe Mullen again).

(http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/east-hills/campbelltown-city-teens-tommas-dama-and-marc-marino-score-winners-in-consecutive-matches/story-fni9lna4-1226887930377)

He sounds like a promising 18 or 19 year old (with a pretty eye-catching highlights video on Youtube as well).

I was vocal about the team needing a good young striker last season (as we were out of options last season when our 1st and 2nd choice strikers [Mifud and Williams] weren't scoring), so hopefully the club signs up Marino for next season. Next season we could then have at least 3 good scorers, with Villa/Kennedy, Williams and Marino. He could probably even be signed to the NYL team or be put on a youth-senior deal (like Melling is), which is outside the 23-player squad, if the club felt the need to do that, so Marino looks like a solid acquisition IMO.

Yep, courtesy of Val Migliaccio on Twitter:

Hearing young SA gun attacker @campbelltowncsc Marc Marino off to @MelbCity_FC @TheTiserSport #supertalent

https://twitter.com/Val61/status/474821053554782208

I guess he was right about Jacob Melling, so although I think Val is one of Australia's lesser football journos, he could be right about a Heart signing again.

He seems to be a a fine prospect. He can apparently play as both a striker or a winger (although he's maybe more of a striker).

Marino played at the SA Sports Institute under Tony Vidmar and Joe Mullen. He then spent last year at the AIS, playing in the NYL and the ACT Premier League. He's also trained with Adelaide United's NYL team, has been called up to the Young Socceroos squad, and recently was playing with Campbelltown City (where he was coached by Joe Mullen again).

(http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/east-hills/campbelltown-city-teens-tommas-dama-and-marc-marino-score-winners-in-consecutive-matches/story-fni9lna4-1226887930377)

He sounds like a promising 18 or 19 year old (with a pretty eye-catching highlights video on Youtube as well).

I was vocal about the team needing a good young striker last season (as we were out of options last season when our 1st and 2nd choice strikers [Mifud and Williams] weren't scoring), so hopefully the club signs up Marino for next season. Next season we could then have at least 3 good scorers, with Villa/Kennedy, Williams and Marino. He could probably even be signed to the NYL team or be put on a youth-senior deal (like Melling is), which is outside the 23-player squad, if the club felt the need to do that, so Marino looks like a solid acquisition IMO.

Just watched the highlights, can finish!

• Like 1

David Villa’s signing with Melbourne City won’t affect upcoming A-League fixture release

MATT WINDLEY

HERALD SUN

JUNE 06, 2014 11:00PM

FOOTBALL Federation Australia will not manipulate the A-League fixture in the wake of David Villa’s shock signing for Melbourne City.

The 2014-15 schedule is understood to be just weeks, if not days, away from being finalised.

On the back of news that Villa is headed Down Under here on a short-term deal between October and December, fans of the other nine A-League clubs keenly await the fixture’s release to see whether Spain’s all-time leading goalscorer will come to town.

But A-League boss Damien de Bohun confirmed to the Herald Sun no changes would be made to the fixture despite the buzz around Villa’s signing.

“I think it’s important to say that the fixture is not about one player,” de Bohun said.

“The fixture is about building a sustainable competition and building as much balance as we can.

“I think it’s fair to say that, having worked closely with Melbourne Heart and now Melbourne City, they’ve gone about it the right way, they’ve engaged us, and we’re planning around their growth this year.

“It (the fixture) hasn’t been published yet, obviously we continue to look at it.”

Teams face each other three times in the 27-round season.

Generally, if a team plays another at home once one season then it will play that team at home twice the following year.

On that basis, Central Coast, Western Sydney, Sydney FC, Wellington and Melbourne Victory are most likely to host the star-studded Melbourne City line-up twice throughout the 2014-15 campaign.

Crosstown rivals Victory stands to gain an immediate financial windfall as it will host the first derby ­between the two teams clubs, which is expected to be in Round 3.

Either way, a sellout crowd upwards of 50,000 at Etihad Stadium, as opposed to the 45,202 that attended last year’s corresponding game, would be worth tens of thousands of dollars more in ticket sales to the club.

De Bohun said opposition clubs would see the benefits of the potential injection of more starspower into the Melbourne City squad.

“If you look back when Alessandro Del Piero signed and then Emile Heskey and Shinji Ono, I think all of the clubs who played against them firstly appreciated that the football was getting better and secondly appreciated the material impact it had on crowds when they travelled around the country.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/david-villas-signing-with-melbourne-city-wont-affect-upcoming-aleague-fixture-release/story-fnk6pqhd-1226946326453

It sounds like sanity has prevailed, with the first derby being in round 3. The teams should be fit and firing by then, so a good spectacle can be expected (something we didn't get so much over the previous 2 seasons, when there was round 1 derbies). Heart should be in red and white for the derby as well, as it's an away game, which would make the occasion even better 

• Like 1

A full house at Etihad, the team running out in red&white stripes lead by a couple of star players.. A campaign against change might be an uphill struggle after that as far as the general public will take notice.

Because the impression will be that it´s the same as it ever was, with better players added.. and perhaps it is really, over at Victorynet they have absolutely no feeling that it´s a new club they will face anyway  -_-

Crosstown rivals Victory stands to gain an immediate financial windfall as it will host the first derby ­between the two teams clubs, which is expected to be in Round 3.

I thought the derby was round 1. I will be very pleased if it's round 3.

The fixture list is going to be very interesting. Hoping in the first 10 games there are a max of 4 away games and that at least one of them is Adelaide and none are Perth or Wellington. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dutch reports are saying the club is interested in Eredivisie player Nick van der Velden, a creative no 10 currently at FC Groningen, who's contracted until the end of next season (June 2015). It seems though that his club is reluctant to let him go:

'FC Groningen crowd favourite not let go Down Under'

22 June 2014

Nick van der Velden plays next season for FC Groningen. Melbourne City FC volunteered this week for the midfielder, but was told that a transfer is taboo. It reports the newspaper of the North.

Van der Velden missed much of last season through injury, but is still immensely popular with the supporters of FC Groningen. In addition, the club leadership think that the veteran again next season also can be of great value. A move to Melbourne City, not to be confused with the Melbourne Heart coach John van 't Schip 's, was unmentionable.

The 32-year-old Van der Velden started his career at RKC Waalwijk, but really broke through with FC Dordrecht. By AZ and NEC Nijmegen the attacking midfielder in the summer of 2013 ended up at FC Groningen.

http://www.soccernews.nl/news/259013/FC_Groningen_laat_publiekslieveling_niet_Down_Under_gaan

(internet translated)

Van der Velden seems to have been an Ajax youth player when JVS was the Ajax youth coach, so JVS probably knows him pretty well.

BTW, It looks like the journalist might be a bit confused with our club's name change.

Edited by Murfy1

Dutch reports are saying the club is interested in Eredivisie player Nick van der Velden, a creative no 10 currently at FC Groningen, who's contracted until the end of next season (June 2015). It seems though that his club is reluctant to let him go:

'FC Groningen crowd favourite not let go Down Under'

22 June 2014

Nick van der Velden plays next season for FC Groningen. Melbourne City FC volunteered this week for the midfielder, but was told that a transfer is taboo. It reports the newspaper of the North.

Van der Velden missed much of last season through injury, but is still immensely popular with the supporters of FC Groningen. In addition, the club leadership think that the veteran again next season also can be of great value. A move to Melbourne City, not to be confused with the Melbourne Heart coach John van 't Schip 's, was unmentionable.

The 32-year-old Van der Velden started his career at RKC Waalwijk, but really broke through with FC Dordrecht. By AZ and NEC Nijmegen the attacking midfielder in the summer of 2013 ended up at FC Groningen.

http://www.soccernews.nl/news/259013/FC_Groningen_laat_publiekslieveling_niet_Down_Under_gaan

(internet translated)

Van der Velden seems to have been an Ajax youth player when JVS was the Ajax youth coach, so JVS probably knows him pretty well.

BTW, It looks like the journalist might be a bit confused with our club's name change.

Another midfielder/winger? Surely we're getting overloaded in this area, unless there really are plans to release a couple of existing players?

Tempus fugit and perhaps everyone's attention is diverted by the World Cup Finals but with something like 5-7 signings to go (depending on how we play the 23+3 rule) I'm a bit surprised that we haven't announced one or two more.

Edited by jw1739

From what I can tell Van der Velden has mainly played as a central attacking midfielder (CAM) or no 10, but he can also play as a winger or wide midfielder. And I think at Groningen he might possibly have been deployed as a wide midfielder/winger, and with Groningen signing a promising proper winger a few days ago (Jarchinio Antonia), I think our club is hoping that Groningen might be open to letting Van der Velden go.

I'm pretty certain that if we sign him, he'll play in central midfield for us.

I'd say we have pretty good midfielders, but I'm not sure we have a really creative midfielder who can play as our CAM or no 10. Maybe Aaron Mooy, but I think he might be deployed a bit deeper, alongside a more defensive midfielder like Murdocca or Germano (allowing Mooy to occasionally help out the team in attack, but not having Mooy as the 'go-to' guy for effectively every attack).

So IMO the team needs at least 1 more class no 10 (and fittingly the no 10 jersey at the club is currently vacant), and at least 1 more class no 9/striker (to be our main striker after Villa leaves).

So all up I reckon signing a creative attacking player like Van der Velden makes good sense.

Edited by Murfy1

I think that's the plan, to get either Engelaar, or a player similar enough to Engelaar, that is creative midfielder like Van der Velden, under the cap.

Surely that's the payoff for having so many players like Velaphi, Hoffman, Germano, Kalmar and young players like Mauk and Garuccio under the cap. That we get to sign a few players like Duff, Engelaar or Van der Velden and Mooy under he cap.

Hopefully we are a bit like Sydney FC next season, with people wondering: how did they sign all those players under the salary cap? (hopefully we do nothing dodgy though...)

With our first competitive match in a little over a month (the FFA Cup Round of 32), I guess our squad should be sorted out pretty soon, so we should find out soon enough (I reckon our final Visa players might be finalised and signed when JVS and co. fly over to Europe in a few weeks for the team's pre-season in Britain, so I'm pretty sure there will probably be a few more player announcements in the next few weeks at least).

I agree that our Australian marquee and our International marquee are very important signings, and they will probably be the difference between a top 6 or top 4 finish, and a top 2 finish. Hopefully the past few months have been well spent on getting these signings right.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that player announcements have pretty perfectly been made in order of value/importance (in my judgement): The announcement of Velaphi and Hoffman's re-signing, Williams' re-signing, Kisnorbo's re-signing, the triple signing of Melling, Brown and Chapman, then Mooy, then Duff...

So the best is yet to come. And if player announcements roughly continue in order of value, I reckon we'll hear about a salary cap Visa player next (Van der Velden?), then maybe the Aussie marquee and then maybe the international marquee last.

I reckon the club is steadily building things up, which would also explain the somewhat limited media ATM. Perhaps the media will step up in lock-step with the signings, and there will be a lot of media and buzz around the club when the final piece of squad puzzle is put in place.

Edited by Murfy1

So with Mooy taking the number 6 that would suggest he is going to play deeper, so if that rumor of players being cut comes true id say it would be Kalmar and Germano (to free up a visa spot) both on probably the absolute minimum, so wouldnt have much impact on the cap if they were cut 

So with Mooy taking the number 6 that would suggest he is going to play deeper, so if that rumor of players being cut comes true id say it would be Kalmar and Germano (to free up a visa spot) both on probably the absolute minimum, so wouldnt have much impact on the cap if they were cut 

Thats a pretty big assumption...

Remember the Graceful One wore Number 10 in his two seasons at MHFC and he was legbreaker rather than a playmaker.

He'd be a great cap signing, that any other year I'd be very happy with. But we need a left back!!!!! And there aren't any Australian ones out there!

Adam D'Apuzzo is the best available Australian left back at the moment imo, I'd take him in a heartbeat and I hope the club are having a good look at him.

• Like 1

It looks like the club is shopping for an Eredivisie or Dutch midfielder, or at least a Visa midfielder, with the club thinking about signing but then finally not signing  Eredivisie Dutch midfielder Ryan Koolwijk, a 28 year old central midfielder (who can apparently play as a defensive midfielder as well), who played with NEC last season but is now out of contract:

Koolwijk almost teammate David Villa

Johan Inan

24-6-14

It had very nearly Koolwijk Ryan (28) had continued his football career on the other side of the world. The free transfer midfielder seemed on his way to the Australian Melbourne Heart but finally saw a transfer to the club coach John van 't Schip ricochet.

Van 't Schip hoping after attracting the Spaniard David Villa also Koolwijk that his expiring contract with the degraded NEC refused to renew. The head coach showed through the agent of the playmaker serious interest, but eventually gave the club Melbourne Heart prefer to capture a bigger name. "That was a shame because it had given me a great adventure seemed" says Koolwijk.

"It is a beautiful country and football in the A-league is becoming more popular." Doornbos, despite the inability to transfer to Australia on interest not complain. Koolwijk: "There is an interest from home and abroad. I also have both open, although this seems to be a good time to go. Adventure abroad to I celebrate holidays and now when I'm back in the Netherlands I want to put all options with my agent Revien Kanhai well one by one. "

Over the past seven years, the left-footed playmaker was active for Excelsior and NEC. "Or I'm Dutch league was not yet? Absolutely not, because I think the Dutch football suits me perfectly. But I am curious about football and life besides football abroad. I not only want to develop myself as a player but also as a person. Therefore, I would like to once again make the step to a different league. As a little kid I started playing football because I liked it. I want to keep that feeling. Whether that is in the Netherlands or elsewhere in the coming time will prove. "

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1448/Voetbal/article/detail/3677962/2014/06/24/Koolwijk-bijna-ploeggenoot-David-Villa.dhtml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Given that the club has also reportedly been looking at signing Dutch midfielder Nick van der Velden, I'd say it looks like the club is keen to sign a creative midfielder who can play in the centre of the park (as both Koolwijk and Van der Velden can), using a Visa spot, and with the player ideally being Dutch or coming from the Eredivisie as well. Also, it's good to see that the club are looking at players with good ages, who could at least provide 3 or 4 quality seasons.

Pretty interesting to read that the club is hunting for a player with a bigger name than 28 year old Ryan Koolwijk, who's been an Eredivisie regular for a number of years. Pretty keen to see who the club favours over Koolwijk, who has a very good age, a good attitude (i.e. he seemed keen to play for us) and a solid pedigree.     

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

So on this weeks sst they had some guy from Carlton crew (yes that one) who has dinner with kisnorbo every Monday. He said that paddy has said the professionalism of the club has increased dramatically and that if players need anything then it's done and paid for. So with this little tid but I think there will be quite an increase of ability of existing players which is probably why JVS kept most of them.

Germano had a great game at rb against ballarat and after seeing that I hope we keep him. Also it seems like at ballarat the first half team was the a team and that second half saw the b team have a go. But chapman didn't play at all which is curious.

Can someone remember when they were jetting off to Manchester? 

Not sure that it's been announced. But they're playing Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park on 19th July, and a Bolton XI at the Lancashire County FA ground on 23rd July.

Edited by jw1739

The Manchester club are on a fitness camp in Scotland from maybe a week's time until they fly off to the USA. Your two games start right after our two fitness friendlies end. I don't think it's a giant leap of logic to assume you are going to join us on our fitness camp before returning to Manchester when we leave to use our facilities as a base for your friendlies.

I heard we are potentially chasing either Koolwijk or Van Der Velden. Please let it be Van Der Velden if true, has an eye for goal as well as being able to break up play. Koolwijk being released from NEC says it all, they were absolute trash last season and doesn't offer all that much going forward. Anyone remember our last NEC reject?

:wormy:

Can someone remember when they were jetting off to Manchester? 

Not sure that it's been announced. But they're playing Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park on 19th July, 

Playing at altitude then?

(Boundary Park's claim to fame is its the highest ground in England)

Melbourne City FC to embark on Manchester training camp
Wednesday, 2 July 2014 10:54 AM

email.png

00091018-leadimage.png

Melbourne City FC will embark on a 17-day pre-season training camp at Manchester City’s Carrington training centre this week, playing three pre-season matches against opposition based in the Greater Manchester region.

Coaches and players will depart for the UK on Sunday and next Monday 7 July, setting up base at the English Premier League club’s Carrington headquarters between July 8 – July 24, before returning to Australia ahead of the FFA Cup’s Round of 32 clash against Sydney FC.

The Club will play three matches against English teams while on the camp; against Football League Two side Bury FC; Oldham Athletic FC, which plays in Football League One and a select side from Football League Championship outfit Bolton Wanderers FC.

Melbourne City FC Head Coach John van’t Schip will travel with a full squad for the camp, while recent signing Damien Duff will join his new club in Manchester. Duff, who played 100 times for the Republic of Ireland, signed on a one-year deal for Melbourne City FC in early June.

Van’t Schip expects his squad to continue to gel in the UK over the 17-day period, building on the positive pre-season preparations started in Melbourne.

“This tour will form an important part of our pre-season and it is a great opportunity to prepare for the A-League season, utilising Carrington – an exceptional Premier League level facility,” van’t Schip said.

“It also presents us with a great opportunity to play teams from the English leagues, for our squad to gain fitness and experience, and to ensure we are progressing well ahead of our season.

“It is unique for teams and players in the A-League to have this kind of opportunity, so we are looking forward to forming further bonds with Manchester and Manchester City.”

Carrington is home to five pitches and includes a state-of-the-art medical centre, player analysis unit, boot and dressing rooms and a wide array of further player support facilities.

Jason Hoffman, an inaugural player at the Club, said the camp would help the raise the bar in the Club’s preparations for the upcoming 2014/15 season.

“It’s going to be a great experience for the whole team to go over to Manchester and to use what is a top class training facility at Carrington,” Hoffman said.

“We’ve got some great matches lined up against some quality opponents and as a group it will be a great opportunity for us to prepare in the best possible way for the A-League season and the FFA Cup.”

The match against Bury will take place behind-closed-doors at the facility during the camp. The Club will then play the first of two open matches against Oldham Athletic FC at Boundary Park, Oldham, on Saturday 19 July at 3pm (BST).

The second open match will be against a Bolton Wanderers XI at the County Ground, Leyland, which commences at 7.30pm (BST) on Wednesday 23 July.

Melbourne City FC Manchester Training Camp – July 8 - July 24

Match Details

Pre-Season Friendly

Saturday 19 July 2014

Oldham Athletic FC vs. Melbourne City FC

Boundary Park, Oldham

Kick-Off: 3pm (BST)

Pre-Season Friendly

Wednesday 23 July 2014

Bolton Wanderers XI vs. Melbourne City FC

County Ground, Leyland

Kick-Off: 7.30pm (BST)

Ticketing information for both matches will be released soon. Visit www.melbournecityfc.com.au for details or sign up to Melbourne City FC's weekly newsletter here for regular updates.