Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

The A-League "clubs" are not clubs at all, but franchises owned by FFA. The owner are owners of the licence for the franchise to operate in the A-League. As such, FFA has, in theory, total control over everything the franchise does, and we already see that in the simplest of examples - the web-sites.

As I understand it the maximum and minimum of the salary cap, and everything else to do with the players in terms of numbers and conditions of employment are the subject of a Collective Bargaining Agreement between FFA and the PFA.

Overall, I very much doubt that there are too many loopholes that can be exploited in the set-up that we have.

Why I'm against the salary cap is that I consider it to be a very blunt instrument that operates on the "lowest common denominator" principle. It forces "equality" in one particular area where there are inequalities in others - for example the stadium deals are not identical for all franchises. Restricting someone from excelling at a particular activity of itself does not make those who don't excel at it any better. Restricting a particular franchise from growing by spending more on players, winning more matches and generating more income of itself will not make a poorer franchise any wealthier.

Given that all the franchises are owned by FFA, it is perfectly possible to redistribute FFA income in such a way that the poorer franchises remain viable and competitive. That is already being done, for example, in terms of travelling expenses being picked up by FFA. And given that all the franchises are owned by FFA it is perfectly possible to ensure financial stability and responsibility by, IMO, better means than the salary cap.

Well I just spent a bit time searching through the Journal of Sports Economics, the Economic and Labour Relations Review, Econpapers and a few others. There is a large theoretical framework behind the concept of caps (salary, squad size) and penalty taxes. Different sports take different approaches within their own boundaries. The general gist is that a "salary cap will increase competitive balance and decrease overall salary payments within the league". This in turn attracts more people through the turnstiles and/or TV audience. From a labour relations point of view successful players tend to remain at successful clubs or prefer being traded to successful clubs (Buddy Franklin to the Swans is an example), so the other factor is that successful clubs don't raid other successful clubs and create a wages inflation. The other interesting factor for a league is that once salary caps were introduced the overall costs of running the league decrease. In the AFL case ( Player Salaries and Revenues in the Australian Football League 2001–2009: Theory and Evidence, Ross Booth, Robert Brooks, Neil Diamond) the conclusion was to wonder as to what that the AFL and clubs were doing with the additional revenues that were not being passed on to the players. There are also people working on alternative methods for providing a competitive league without having caps but these appear to be at an early stage.

The other thing to note that the FFA sells the license to the franchisee and distributes some of the revenues earned through broadcasting rights. But, the franchisees still have to raise their own revenues to operate - your assumption is that all club revenue goes to the FFA and I don't know that that is the case. Case in point was the NQF who just could not raise a reasonable amount of revenues on their own right to be viable.

Like any franchise, the clubs have a certain amount of autonomy to decide on how the club operates. Thus Heart could have selected AM instead of JA or go outside and bring in Mulvey. Those sorts of decisions are what make or break a club but as far as any  league is concerned is to ensure that there is a competitive game every week. Case in point is Mark Neeld at the Demons and how the AFL had to take over the club.

• Like 3

Finally there's been a few messages from Heart about the squad they want to build for next season: 

A Heart spokesman said the club had six spots left to fill on its roster for 2014-15 and was “excited at the prospect” of its squad formation.

Also

“The club has the opportunity to sign a further three VISA players,” the spokesman said.

“In addition the rules allow for a guest player for up to 10 games of the season. With all of this in mind, the club will look to build the strongest squad possible for the forthcoming season.”

(From yesterday's article on Villa possibly being a guest player at Heart)

Of course this should pretty much be a given, but it's still very welcome to get actual statements and reassurances from the club that they are building the strongest possible squad for next season (especially with the number of re-signings, and the first wave of signings, with James Brown and Jacob Melling, arguably not being the most exciting).

Heart have 6 or 7 squad spots left to fill (and 2 more if senior-youth spots are contracted, like what Melling is on). So I'm trying to think of what positions Heart have said they would like to sign players in, and this is what I've come up with:

- "Heart's new owners are determined to land a big-name attacker" (1)

- "City Football Services managing director Brian Marwood said talks would continue with Engelaar but were focused on attacking reinforcements" (1)

- "[brian Marwood:] Depending on the Engelaar situation, David Williams has done a great job but we need to provide some support with forward options" (1)

- David Davutovic responding to a question about Heart's marquees: "Unsure re leagues, they have a global scouting network of 30+ so you're guess is as good as mine right now. But they will sign attackers (attacking mids and/or strikers) I can guarantee" 

(1 -http://oi60.tinypic.com/23rlfex.jpg)

That's all I can dig up ATM. Maybe there's some more info out there, though. It sounds like the priority will be to bring in more forwards, strikers and maybe attacking midfielders (I can see us at least signing a marquee attacking midfielder).

So maybe the only remaining defender the club will sign for next season will be a LB (or maybe Garuccio will even be played there).

And maybe no more standard midfielders will be signed.

Brian Marwood has said "We've got the nucleus of a competitive squad, the challenge is what can we bring in to make a difference and take us to the next level". It'll be interesting to see how they do that with 6/7 squad spots remaining.

Edited by Murfy1

Murf, with the focus being up front, what do you think about considering Polenz for LB?

IMO we will be letting ourselves down if we try to convert Garuccio or Ramsay (remember, JA was going to convert Ramsay until Behich became available on loan?).

Murf, with the focus being up front, what do you think about considering Polenz for LB?

IMO we will be letting ourselves down if we try to convert Garuccio or Ramsay (remember, JA was going to convert Ramsay until Behich became available on loan?).

Yeah I was thinking that too when he was released. Think it's a good call - wouldn't hurt...

Yeah I was thinking that too when he was released. Think it's a good call - wouldn't hurt...

Apparently got released for two reasons at WSW money and dressing room issues. The article where he said the cap was restricting the league pretty much confirms no one could probably afford him under the cap

Fully agree that we'd be letting ourselves down if we tried to turn one of our left wingers like Ramsay or Garuccio into a LB. I'm fine with Garuccio as cover for LB, but I don't think he showed he can consistently play well as LB when he played there several times last season.

I'm really not a fan of Polenz, but I concede he could be a decent LB. I think the key question with him is what his wage demands would be (given that he seemed to leave WSW over wage demands).

I would like to know if Heart was one of the reported multiple A-League clubs that were interested in signing David Carney. Signing him may not be a thrilling idea, but I think he could have done a solid job as a LB for us (in particular, I think he gets forward and attacks well, and provides good crosses. His defending is suspect though).

After Carney, the only other Australian LBs I can think of are Davidson, Zullo and maybe Lowry as options, but they all reportedly have options to (or in Zullo's case is) play in Europe. And all the statements I've read from them is that they all plan to remain in Europe next season. So I'm puzzled as to what Australian LB we could sign next season. The only possible Australian LB I can think of is out of contract James Meredith of Bradford City, although TBH I don't know much about him at all.

Getting a Man City youth on loan is an option, although I'd like to get a LB who can play there for multiple seasons, and thereby provide stability in defence. 

So I'm pretty stumped when it comes to the LB position.

Probably the best solution I can think of is to sign a visa player, under the salary cap, for multiple seasons as our LB. An example of the kind of player I'm thinking of is Lorenzo Burnet, a 23 year old left back who was an Ajax youth player for 7 years, and then went on to play for Eredivisie side FC Groningen pretty regularly for 3 seasons, with whom he's now out of contract. I'm sure JVS, Didulica and Man City's army of scouts could come up with similar options that could well be good, and could be signed under the cap.

I'll be pretty stunned and disappointed if we play Garuccio as LB next season, or if we play some other unproven Australian there.

Surely we can do better than Polenz, who I don't rate AT ALL.  Garuccio looks completely lost at left back and Rambo, well we never gave him a go there, but I'm not sure he'll convert easily to the position.

I would have thought either an import or sign the best NYL left back in the country.

• Like 1

So JVS is still in Europe, Simone Ripamonti is apparently flying back to Melbourne now (according to his twitter), and pre-season will apparently start next week, going off the last report (source).

Also, the club will play Oldham Athletic AFC on July 19 in England:

Latics Announce Pre-Season Friendly

02 June 2014

Latics will host Australian side Melbourne Heart in a pre-season friendly set to take place on Saturday, July 19.
Heart, who play their football in the Hyundai A-League, will travel to Boundary Park as part of their pre-season tour.

Damien Duff is expected to sign for the Australian side this summer, whilst former Liverpool and Leeds midfielder Harry Kewell ended his playing career with Heart last season.

This game will give manager Lee Johnson a chance to assess his squad ahead of the 2014/15 campaign.

Kick off for the game is 3pm. 

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20140602-melbourne-heart-friendly-1592140.aspx

So with this match on July 19, and the Bolton Wanderers match on July 23, it looks like the team will spend much of July (maybe all of July) in the UK.

• Like 1

So last pre-season we had friendlies in exotic places such as Shepparton, Epping, Kingston Heath and Kevin Bartlett reserve. This pre-season we're in the UK playing Bolton and Oldham and supposedly coming home with Villa and Lampard playing alongside the Hoff, and Willo. As the Robot said in Lost in Space, "Does not compute, does not compute."

From what I can gather, the Bolton Wanderers match and the match against Latics are happening at stadiums pretty near Manchester (at the County Ground, Leyand, and Boundary Park, Oldham).

Some questions for Man City supporters:

Are there any/many other Championship or League One sides similarly nearby? I imagine Heart might be planning to play against more than 2 opponents (hopefully, at least).

Also, what's the status of Manchester City's new training complex? Is any of it complete and being used, or will it be opened and used soon?

Thanks in advance.

Plenty of football teams nearby. Some of the better ones which are really close; Wigan, Bury, Rockdale, Oldham, Stockport and you have Liverpool, Everton, Leeds, Burnley, Blackburn, Bradford, Preston, Shefield and Norwitch all with in about 50km.

So last pre-season we had friendlies in exotic places such as Shepparton, Epping, Kingston Heath and Kevin Bartlett reserve. This pre-season we're in the UK playing Bolton and Oldham and supposedly coming home with Villa and Lampard playing alongside the Hoff, and Willo. As the Robot said in Lost in Space, "Does not compute, does not compute."

Shows that the City connection is starting to pay off. You never know how playing these matches can help you and open doors in the future. I'm still excited about the City Group concept, and convinced that in the end it will all be worth it, and we'll look back on the early stages as nothing more than hiccups along the way.

Thanks for the answers.

With so many teams around, hopefully Heart play some more pre-season games while in Britain. I believe Heart has averaged about 10 to 12 pre-season matches across the previous pre-seasons, and hopefully this pre-season has ample games as well (along with more rigor and success than we've seen in previous pre-seasons, with more convincing wins against respectable opponents).

I'm sure the experience in the UK will be great for the whole team, and hopefully we have a good and well balanced team by July to experience it.

Well Murfy1.. That´s one advantage being a part of a group like CFG I guess.
Meaning that if there´s a call from MCFC about a friendly for Heart there are some teams that either owe us or like to curry a favour from MCFC by helping out.

That said it might very well be regarded as a bit fun to play an Australian team compared to a neighbour that you play every year anyway.

Wouldn't mind if we picked up Weslowski from Oldham on our travels. By all accounts had a cracking season for them last year. Has had injuries issues in the past but seems to be hitting his peak and through the worst of it now at 26.

He's still only 26? It seems like he's been around forever, would be a pretty strong signing tbh.

Would we still wear the wage bill?

I've often wondered if players can be payed at the club, but not registered (Mullen and Mebrahtu at WSW) for the A-League competition, obviously their wage doesn't add towards their A-League cap. So why not say to a few of the boys who are fringe players that they'll be payed pre-season, but won't be registered to play the A-League, until they show form?