Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

I think the name change is good, It's a proper football name! As is expected and what people have been saying, we'll forever be known as 'Heart' or 'the Hearts' and I'm sure the Yarraside will drive that. As long as they don't change our colours, I'll be happy and I'd consider it a perfect outcome.

while we chant it and the fans take ownership of 'heart' it will never die :)

• Like 1

Our current identity and pride as supporters is that we stand together through thick and thin. We do not follow some corporate mega club live Melbourne victory and that we have remained loyal and passionate to our team.

Melbourne heart is my main team in world sport. I may be one of few who share this belief but it should be completely acceptable. Lads come on, would it be that unreasonable to want our club to reap the benefits of new owners while keeping our name and colors. If you are going to change that you may as we'll fold the club and start again.

Unfortunately though, it seems the idiots at the club do not respect the loyal and diehard supporters and are rather interested in making as much money as possible through selling their clubs soul.

I would love to see you tell SUS that they no longer support the same club as Sydney Croatia

due to the club's name change in the 90's.

Spot on.

I feel pretty down to be honest. I've been preaching to my boys the importance of following a club regardless of its number of fans or its bank account balance. Rather go to  a game like the Jets match with the jets crowd that sit in the Ethiad with 30 K of armchair fans who'll drop this club faster than a hot potatoe when city decide to ditch their venture down under. Can just live with the name change - proving the Heart name is kept somewhere on a revised crest. The colour change will be bridge too far for me.

I think the name change is good, It's a proper football name! As is expected and what people have been saying, we'll forever be known as 'Heart' or 'the Hearts' and I'm sure the Yarraside will drive that. As long as they don't change our colours, I'll be happy and I'd consider it a perfect outcome.

I guess that is the middle ground that can be achieved. After all, we will need to have some kind of rebranding to support man city's model. I think I could get used to the hearts as a nickname, similar to Norwich city- the canaries

Our current identity and pride as supporters is that we stand together through thick and thin. We do not follow some corporate mega club live Melbourne victory and that we have remained loyal and passionate to our team.

Melbourne heart is my main team in world sport. I may be one of few who share this belief but it should be completely acceptable. Lads come on, would it be that unreasonable to want our club to reap the benefits of new owners while keeping our name and colors. If you are going to change that you may as we'll fold the club and start again.

Unfortunately though, it seems the idiots at the club do not respect the loyal and diehard supporters and are rather interested in making as much money as possible through selling their clubs soul.

Just hold on a sec and see how it goes. I think it's improbable that our colours will change as there's already a sky blue team and our local rivals are also blue. Like most people, I'm against a change of colours, and there's nothing to suggest that it's going to happen.

But going from Melbourne Heart to Melbourne City, with Heart as the informal name isn't such a big deal IMO.

• Like 1

A few questions to those cheering this news:

1) How would you have reacted had the City mob bought out Sydney FC? Would you be proclaiming it as great news for that club, for the league, etc? Honestly, would you?

2) Does the way the club you support wins matches/trophies (hard work, a bit of luck v spending the most money) affect the way you enjoy the wins?

3) Did the fact that Heart was a battling club in any way endear you to the club and its supporters?

4) How would you feel supporting a business arm of an Emirati group whose wealth has been generated off the back of propping up the US and its petrodollar currency, literally fuelling wars the world over?

I'm genuinely curious.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to see the look on Peter Sidwell's face when he discovered that he had just sold his franchise to Man City :D

Hopefully now we have the budget to seriously look at a stellar coach like Bielsa

Bielsa will certainly be demanding! According to this report if the national team of Peru wants his services thenthe minimum requirements are:

• A proper training stadium to be used exclusively for men's senior and youth team
  • The stadium to be walled
  • No access to the public
  • No mobile phone access
  • An IT/video room to monitor the team as well as opposition teams

the report is dated the 20th of January, 2014 so it is current. here is the link:

http://trome.pe/deportes/1685902/noticia-marcelo-bielsa-sus-condiciones-dt-seleccion-peruana

The soul of the club is its fans, and we have not been sold. We'll always be the heart of Melbourne. The words "The Heart" can always be there on banners under "Melbourne City F.C." Nothing really changes. Some of our best chants can remain the same. And I think you'll get used to the new rhythms of chants such as "Come on Ci-ty!"

And maybe a change in name will not occur.

I will never call the team Melbourne city, what a joke. We have just lost our club, we are now just a small part of Manchester city's master plan for world domination. Success mag we'll come as a result but we have just lost who we are, I feel that my club which I feel a strong part of is being taken away.

And to all of those who are suddenly posting now about how they would like for the name to be changed to Melbourne city and that this will be brilliant for the club. What does this club even mean to you? It is being stopped to pieces in front of you and you are sucking in this media crap. Stand up for the pride of you club. Do not let you're heart be stopped of what little identity and pride remains.

Come on you hearts- Melbourne is Red and White

This is the A-League mate, you're talking as if the club is 100 years old and was founded on principles/causes that were beyond the game. I bet you didn't give a toss when the NSL clubs and ethnic clubs were made to change their names, logos and identity.

This is entirely different. We're talking about a club that is into its 4th season, yet barely surviving. The way it was going, they had no ambitions or anything, they were just there to fill a gap. The only breach of identity that is not acceptable is a change of the home kit colours. They must stay predominantly red and white. As for the name change and potential logo change, it will mark a new start. Not to mention Melbourne City Football Club sounds a lot more professional than some of the mickey mouse names going around in the A-League. Hearts is perfect as a nickname, and I'm sure that will live on in the supporters. You raise very good points. I'm just very frustrated at the knowledge that our Melbourne team will be effectively an entity of another professional football club.

Hey, better it be Man City than South Melb gjupsi don't ya reckon?

The soul of the club is its fans, and we have not been sold. We'll always be the heart of Melbourne. The words "The Heart" can always be there on banners under "Melbourne City F.C." Nothing really changes. Some of our best chants can remain the same. And I think you'll get used to the new rhythms of chants such as "Come on Ci-ty!"

And maybe a change in name will not occur. I agree with this view. I guess time will tell as to exactly what will change

Edited by True Until I die

1) How would you have reacted had the City mob bought out Sydney FC? Would you be proclaiming it as great news for that club, for the league, etc? Honestly, would you?

2) Does the way the club you support wins matches/trophies (hard work, a bit of luck v spending the most money) affect the way you enjoy the wins?

3) Did the fact that Heart was a battling club in any way endear you to the club and its supporters?

4) How would you feel supporting a business arm of an Emirati group whose wealth has been generated off the back of propping up the US and its petrodollar currency, literally fuelling wars the world over?

I'm genuinely curious.

I feel good that your Left Wing Agenda has given me another reason to be a bit more supportive of this buy out.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

We'll I hate every other club so this question is irrelevant. 

What wins? 

A little bit I guess but if we were a winning club I still would love Yarraside etc

This one thing that worries me. And I will have to think about it. 

I'm genuinely curious.

Hi all,

Glad you all seem thrilled with the news.

Just to chip in with an opinion from a Manchester City fan:

- New York City FC has been created by us from the ground up so your team won't necessarily follow suit with the colours etc. Although as we've seen, it seems likely a rebrand of name to Melbourne City is inevitable - Ferran Soriano (our CEO) refers to the 'City group' when talking about our resources that NYCFC and now you will tap into.

- For us Manchester City fans, being bought out by ADUG was like winning the lottery - we were on the verge of bankruptcy at the time but have just been published as 6th in the charts for clubs with highest revenue worldwide (above Chelsea and Arsenal). Our owners are up there with the best in the world, they have not once disappointed us and we have gone from strength to strength. We also have Ferran Soriano (CEO) and Txiki Begiristain (Director of Football) heading our club operations - two of the key figures in the rise of FC Barcelona.

Like some of you have said already, with a few clubs in Aus wearing blue already I'm not sure the colours would be changed to sky blue (although I think with your style of kit it would look great, like Argentina's kit). With you being a very new club I wouldn't fret too much over changes, most clubs worldwide have gone through name changes, logo changes (bit of a trend recently) and colour changes - for example, Manchester City started out as St. Marks (wearing black), then Ardwick FC wearing a darker blue, before evolving into Manchester City FC - it's all part of developing into a club that suits the fans and the local area (even if you might not see it at first). If the name does change to Melbourne City FC take pride in the fact that your club's name represents the city - one of the many tools of banter I'm sure you'll develop in the rivalry with Victory.

Take it from us - you are in for a hell of a good time, just take a look at my profile pic if your unsure!

Best of luck, I'll be sure to stick around and follow the progress of my first A League team :)

I owe you a like mate.

I didn't even think of the amount of City fans that will start following our club. The future looks very good indeed

Going over the news release, MC have not said that they will change anything until mid year, that is, once the season is over. They have also said that they will consult and review before making any changes and that their idea is not to make a mini man city down under. So for those taht would like to keep the name, colours, etc start emailing!

As for me I don't have a view as yet. But I am reminded of Michael Voss former skipper of the Brisbane Lions whose original club were the Brisbane Bears. He once wrote, quite angrily, that Melbournians kept on moaning about the loss of the Ftzroy Lions and it's long history but no one gave a toss about the foundation players of the Bears who although had a really short and unsuccessful history (sounds familiar) yet it was a history that he, other players, and the local members were quite proud of. So I suppose what I am reading in this blog is precisely this.

I'm genuinely curious.

That's deep and you raised fair points. But we are (were) at rock bottom. I don't think the changes will be sweeping from an early stage, it will take time to build the facilities and put processes in place for youth development. If this new attracts new members and fans I'm all for it. As for the petrol guzzling sheiks, they're gunna spend up, i saw a picture of one of them with a cheetah in the passenger seat of his land rover.

I know they're important, but there's even more important issues than name and colours. How they set up NYC might give us some ideas on what they plan to do with Heart.

I'm encouraged by any committment to the youth academy, better training facilities, more all round professionalism, more and better football staff and resources...

And, as well as putting money into the club, a committment to a good style of football and developing youth might actually bring us closer to what the club was originally supposed to be about from the beginning.

New York City F.C. Introduces a Philosophy Along With Its Coach

By ANDREW DAS

JAN. 10, 2014

There was much talk about soccer philosophy and very little about actual soccer players when New York City F.C. introduced Jason Kreis as its first head coach on Friday. But it will have to be that way for a while.

New York City F.C., which became Major League Soccer’s 20th franchise last May, will not begin play in the league until 2015. Kreis, 41, said he welcomed that yearlong gap — his first extended break from the field in more than two decades — as a chance to immerse himself in the styles and tactics of his new employers; to compare them with the methods he used to produce six playoff appearances and one league title at his former club, Real Salt Lake; and to discuss with Manchester City officials, coaches and scouts the kinds of players he would like to bring to New York.

“The philosophies that they have implemented fall right in line with the way I see things,” Kreis said, adding: “I wouldn’t have come here had it been any other way. It’s a perfect fit.”

Kreis, who signed a four-year contract in December, will move to Manchester, England, with his family later this month. He will stay for six months, an opportunity that he described as a welcome chance at “professional development” as a coach.

Jason Kreis signed a four-year contract in December to coach New York City F.C. Ted S. Warren/Associated Press

His new club in New York is not expected to announce major player acquisitions until later this year, though Manchester City’s chief executive, Ferran Soriano, said Friday that it would have a temporary stadium plan to announce in a matter of days or weeks.

In the meantime, Kreis will have City’s global coaching and scouting network at his disposal and months to think things over. The loan of various youth and first-team players from Manchester to New York — similar to the agreements that Chivas USA has had with its Mexican parent club, with varying degrees of success — is possible, though Kreis said he had received assurances that no City players would be forced on him.

On Friday, he and top executives from Manchester City painted mostly in broad strokes. Soriano and Manchester City’s director of football, Txiki Begiristain, are both evangelists for the widely praised possession style favored at Barcelona, where they worked before joining City. They have emphasized repeatedly that they want City’s franchise in New York to incorporate the concepts that they and Kreis agree are best, but they stressed that they had no plan to micromanage his decisions from Manchester.

“We have a philosophy that we want to play, that we like and the people like, and after that, we sign the coach,” said Begiristain, a former Barcelona and Spain player. “After that, he is free.”

Soriano said: “These are broad concepts, but very strong. We would never choose a manager, whether it is Manuel Pellegrini in Manchester or Jason here, that would not believe in those pillars. On those pillars, he can build whatever he wants.”

The building of a team is likely to have to wait a while. Major League Soccer will hold an expansion draft in December and a college draft in January 2015. Kreis made it clear that he would not wait to start filling his roster.

“We have a singular opportunity — almost a responsibility — to go out and find new players to bring in to bolster the league,” he said, “and not just to rely on the players who have been here.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/11/sports/soccer/new-york-city-fc-introduces-a-philosophy-along-with-its-coach.html?_r=1

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

Melbourne City Football club
Professional Sports Team · 444 Likes

Melb City FC: 

The Melbourne City Football Club wishes to announce to our members, fans, players and public the club will dispute any trademark lodged applications from the Melbourne Heart football club. 

We will not surrender our club name. 

Thank you 

MC FC

May be a few issues with the new name given a club already exists with the title. Perhaps as Ando mentioned, Heart of Melbourne City FC?

Not worried.

As one fan said on the status; "If you lot get offered a bucket of cash you'll jump on it quicker than a seagull on a hot chip".

I came across to support the improvement of Australian Football. I was dissapppointed when NQF folded and angry when Palmer closed GC. For me that one or more clubs have the ability to raise the standard of football in Australia is paramount. I don't mind MV except for Muscat for crippling Zahra, and their meathead supporters.

The A League has a salary cap. Yes you can spend $M on 3 marquees  but one to three players do not make a team. Secondly you are assuming that highly paid players do not do hard work - I susect if Ronaldo, Messi, etc were to hear that directly from your mouth you will cop a blast. As for my enjoyment a well executed drill or pure talent on display trumps a penalty goal anyday.

I came on board as a foundation member, so no.

As a lefty I don't like monarchies but I live in one. Made my peace. The wealth of the Emirates come from its petrol reserves and that is true but it is complete leap to say that they prop up the USA and that this is the reason why there are wars all over. Furthermore that subject can go on forever and it really is not suitable for a football forum.

I'm genuinely curious.

I'm genuinely curious.

I wouldn't be happy if they had bought Sydney FC, but I'm ecstatic that they bought us.

I support Sunderland in the EPL and Richmond in the AFL, neither club having had any success for years, so I enjoy the wins as they come. Supporting Heart is not hard for someone like me. 

I've been locked onto Heart from day 1.

You've lost me on point 4. I just follow the game, not the politics. My AFL club has been sponsored by a petrol company, a brewery, a betting agency and numerous other companies. I don't subscribe to the way they earn their money, as long as it's legal.

I hope we make the most of this great opportunity to grow our club. Melbourne City FC has a nice ring to it and as long as they leave our colours alone, I can live without the "Heart". As others have said there are many clubs that have changed names but still retain the old nicknames.

• Like 1

I'm genuinely curious.

I feel good that your Left Wing Agenda has given me another reason to be a bit more supportive of this buy out.

My left wing bias makes me 50/50 on this buy out and Total Eclipse makes a very good point.

I'm genuinely curious.

My left wing bias makes me 50/50 on this buy out and Total Eclipse makes a very good point.

Dont worry mate,

Supras have already given their approval to the buy out.

• Like 1

With shit like this happening, its only boosting Australian performance in long term and I'm very happy they they are planning to create an academy, Manchester City were the first and I'm sure other high profiled clubs would want to get in the A-league market if Man city are happy the way things will go starting from next year

The only thing I'm worried about is what Cadete and FB pointed out is that how will the new owners react and control the active supporters and there's that threat of imposing the English style of just standing and watching with no visuals or banners.

Edited by Young Polak
  • Like 1

Old mate pigs messaged me at work with the good news. In the dandenongs with no reception so told the foreman, fuck this I gotta see it to believe it and left an hour early.

First impression- fuck yeh.

Second impression-fuck yeh

Third impression-fuck yeh

To those complaining about loss of our club and history, get over it.

We were fucked.

Rather be bought out by a club with money and ambition than witness a slow and painful death of our club that obviously we all love.

The mrs will be getting a fair smashing tonight.

Might even wear my heart top while im at it.

FUCK YEH

• Like 3

With shit like this happening, its only boosting Australian performance in long term and I'm very happy they they are planning to create an academy, Manchester City were the first and I'm sure other high profiled clubs would want to get in the A-league market if Man city are happy the way things will go starting from next year

The only thing I'm worried about is what Cadete and FB pointed out is that how will the new owners react and control the active supporters and there's that threat of imposing the English style of just standing and watching with no visuals or banners.

Yeah, that is my only real worry as well. Name and kit changes are rather trivial compared to the damage that new ownership can cause in regards to active support.

4) How would you feel supporting a business arm of an Emirati group whose wealth has been generated off the back of propping up the US and its petrodollar currency, literally fuelling wars the world over?

I'm genuinely curious.

Dont worry mate,

I know there's hundreds of lads who consider themselves Supras Melbourne, but I wasn't aware you were one too? ;)

4) How would you feel supporting a business arm of an Emirati group whose wealth has been generated off the back of propping up the US and its petrodollar currency, literally fuelling wars the world over?

I'm genuinely curious.

I feel good that your Left Wing Agenda has given me another reason to be a bit more supportive of this buy out. My left wing bias makes me 50/50 on this buy out and Total Eclipse makes a very good point. Dont worry mate,

I know there's hundreds of lads who consider themselves Supras Melbourne, but I wasn't aware you were one too? ;)

Ahh the old left wing delusions at play again :P.

I believe he was actually referring to two Supras posting that they are happy with the take over.

I think we should be happy, but we still should have some reservations and we should push to let the club know what we as supporters want

Edited by malloy
  • Like 3

Surely the members will get some of say on how much change will occur, it's almost guaranteed the official name will change which I can live it. But the following things should be voted on by members:

- Badge

- Colours (need to keep red and white)

- Mascot (ticker to stage a heart attack during half time would be classic, carried off by medical cart).

- Club song?