Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Been some subtle suggestions that those that currently occupy the board of our club didn't believe that SMFC could actually get their hands on the cold hard. (lucky for us)

For all those counting their chickens a word of warning - deals aren't done until they're done. This could drag on for a long time yet and the buyers might not be those who are favourites right now.

Meanwhile Sidwell fiddles whilst Heart burns.

• Like 1

Ok, so apparently $12 million is the sum, and Bart Campbell did not deny the impending sale..

Melbourne Heart on verge of $12m takeover headed by New Zealand entrepreneur Bart Campbell

MELBOURNE Heart is on the verge of being sold for $12 million to a consortium led by New Zealand entrepreneur Bart Campbell.

The Courier-Mail believes that the consortium has submitted an offer which has been accepted by the Heart's board, with the two parties now ironing out the finer details.

The Heart have received several offers in the past year and came close to selling to a Shanghai-based consortium, which offered around $9 million for a full takeover.

It is believed that the new proposal includes a 100 per cent takeover of the Heart and could be concluded in January, in what would comfortably eclipse any previous sale of an A-League club.

The imminent sale is an intriguing backdrop to Friday's clash with Wellington Phoenix at AAMI Park for winless and bottom-place Heart and probably indicates why the current board will not consider sacking underperforming coach John Aloisi.

Campbell is a sports marketing guru who led the takeover of Melbourne Storm from News Limited (publisher of The Courier-Mail) last May.

London-based Campbell is in Melbourne and remained tight-lipped when contacted byThe Courier-Mail on Thursday.

"The Melbourne Storm are not buying Melbourne Heart,'' Campbell said, but he refused to be drawn on whether he was part of a separate consortium.

The Courier-Mail believes although Campbell is believed to be one of two Storm owners involved in the takeover, the rest of the consortium is made up of non-Storm businessmen.

Campbell, a former New Zealand High Court barrister, now works as chief operating officer for the sports division of Chime, the fourth-largest sports marketing and communications group in the world.

Heart negotiations have been led by chairman Peter Sidwell, who did not return the The Courier-Mail's calls on Thursday night.

Aloisi, whose contract expires in 2015, said that he had not heard anything and the rumours hadn't affected his team either way.

"It doesn't affect me because I don't know anything about it,'' Aloisi said on Thursday.

"Once people start to mention it to us we might start to think about it but it doesn't affect us as coaches or players, they're focused on the Wellington game.''

Discussions have taken place over several months with the consortium, who believe the Heart have enormous potential.

While the Heart's average crowds have hovered just below 9000 since entering the A-League in 2010, their fiscal prudency is what has attracted potential investors with the club believed to have turned a small profit last season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-on-verge-of-12m-takeover-headed-by-new-zealand-entrepreneur-bart-campbell/story-fnk6rlg0-1226790195294

Seems a little strange that the club was valued at $12 million when WSW was being looked at for around $15 million.

Well, to be honest the only time you hear any figures thrown around regarding the worth of our club are on Victory and FourFourTwo forums so its no surprise that these numbers are completely ridiculous. WSW have peaked very early, so there is presumably not too much more room to grow for them, where as we are in a good financial position and (again despite what is said by people talking shit on the internet) we have a solid foundation to build on with a very large untapped market to grab. So I would say that (if this article is correct) the bid is paying a fair bit over market value due to the potential this club has.

Seems a little strange that the club was valued at $12 million when WSW was being looked at for around $15 million.

You live in Melbourne and have a car for sale around 10k

Unfortunately it has a faulty gearbox. It almost never comes out of 2nd gear. It struggles uphill and, and when it's far away from home it just can't get back.

It's public news and potential buyer who you had been negotiating with is fully aware of its faults and limitations.

He has made you an offer and you are about to sign the sale contract.

Do you go and get new transmission and pay for it knowing well buyer won't give you a cent more?

No you don't, you sell it as it is and let him import a new shiny box or keep driving the way it is.

You cousin in western sydney has the same model, couple years younger, very shiny and all the neighbors love it.

It runs smooth with lots of performance blowing most of the competition out of the water including next door bling blue Ferrari with an aging motor (that's another story)

Your cousin's car is worth 15 if not more.

Your car while misfiring and stalling isn't probably worth 9

• Like 3

Unfortunately it has a faulty gearbox. It almost never comes out of 2nd gear. It struggles uphill and, and when it's far away from home it just can't get back.

It's public news and potential buyer who you had been negotiating with is fully aware of its faults and limitations.

Do you go and get new transmission and pay for it knowing well buyer won't give you a cent more?

No you don't, you sell it as it is and let him import a new shiny box or keep driving the way it is.

You cousin in western sydney has the same model, couple years younger, very shiny and all the neighbors love it.

It runs smooth with lots of performance blowing most of the competition out of the water including next door bling blue Ferrari with an aging motor (that's another story)

pretty good effort

Ok, so apparently $12 million is the sum, and Bart Campbell did not deny the impending sale..

Melbourne Heart on verge of $12m takeover headed by New Zealand entrepreneur Bart Campbell

The Courier-Mail believes although Campbell is believed to be one of two Storm owners involved in the takeover, the rest of the consortium is made up of non-Storm businessmen.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-on-verge-of-12m-takeover-headed-by-new-zealand-entrepreneur-bart-campbell/story-fnk6rlg0-1226790195294

My guess is that Gerry Ryan will be the other.

Edited by jw1739

...The Courier-Mail believes although Campbell is believed to be one of two Storm owners involved in the takeover, the rest of the consortium is made up of non-Storm businessmen.

My guess is that Gerry Ryan will be the other.

Which is good news.

These guys know the potential. Not gonna outlay that amount of money without putting in more to make it successful.

This club may FINALLY have owners who actually believe in it.

We have two away games now hahahaha. oh deaaaaaaaar 

Does it really make a difference whether we play away or home?

hahaha no, but at home against wellington I gave us a 30/70 shot of winning. We might of got lucky. But I think we play CCM and perth is it ?? (I only look at the draw one week at a time) If we thought shit was ugly now !! 

hahaha no, but at home against wellington I gave us a 30/70 shot of winning. We might of got lucky. But I think we play CCM and perth is it ?? (I only look at the draw one week at a time) If we thought shit was ugly now !! 

Easy money with two away games coming up...guaranteed we'll lose both! 

HELLO RECORD OF THE WORST CLUB IN A LEAGUE HISTORY!!

I owe you a like, that's absolutely brilliant!

Deal close on Melbourne Heart sale

December 28, 2013

Michael Lynch

The dogs have been barking loudly for months, and it now seems the sale of Melbourne Heart will finally take place.

Chairman Peter Sidwell, not the most voluble of frontmen at the best of times, has gone to ground, along with other board members, as talks have progressed tortuously over the Christmas period.

Chief executive Scott Munn, a man much more at home in the media spotlight, has been front and square as point man during the negotiations, although as recently as Friday afternoon he was insisting no deal had been signed off with a New Zealand-led consortium of investors linked with the Melbourne Storm.

That's as may be - it seems Heart investors, so keen to get out with what would be a profit at the reported $12 million sale price (which insiders say is close to the mark) - are wary of tempting fate and derailing any transaction at the last second.

It looks as though they will not confirm anything categorically until the cheque is in the bank and been cleared. But who can really blame them in the circumstances?

It is easy to deride unfashionable Heart, with several critics pointing at it as a club with a low fan base, little clear identity and no real location or base of its own - a club without a heartland, in many respects.

But credit must be given to Sidwell and his fellow investors, too.

Whereas most of the other disposals of A-League clubs have been fire sales - where investors have come in to rescue ailing businesses loaded with debt and losses and paid little for the privilege - Heart has created something of genuine value.

Hard-headed businessmen with a lot of experience in the sports world are prepared to shell out far more than has been spent on any other A-League franchise for a team that, on performance alone this season, looks something of a dud.

Why? Because there is genuine upside here if they can revamp the business and, to all intents and purposes, relaunch it.

On the pitch is perhaps the easiest to solve. The A-League is a tightly regulated competition with restrictions on salary cap, number of players and overseas signings.

Teams have a history of yo-yoing up and down the table, so bringing on-field improvement should not be a massive problem.

In truth, Heart has been very unlucky in a lot of games this season, and although no one would pencil it in as a top-three side, it could have been far closer to the finals race had a bit of good luck gone its way on a number of occasions.

In Westpac, the club has a blue-chip sponsor. It is vital to boost the bank's commitment.

The membership is poor, but success on the field will help with that.

No, the Heart is unlikely in the short to medium term to match the behemoth that is Melbourne Victory (if ever), but if Melbourne is the sporting capital it says it is, a well-marketed, more successful Heart should be able to attract more fans and therefore pull in bigger receipts at the gates.

And with success the club could build its merchandising dollars.

From a business point of view, the A-League TV deal is now an attraction.

A distribution of some $2.5 million a year from head office means the salary cap is now more or less covered, a major item on the balance sheet.

Heart's new owners need to anchor it in one spot - its nomadic training set-up is a big negative - and give it a sense of place and identity. A heart, if you like. And then reap the rewards that would be their due if they can pull it off.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/deal-close-on-melbourne-heart-sale-20131227-2zzhs.html

Edited by Murfy1

There's a lot of upside to owning HeartFC by properly connecting with a large base of football fans. From the article by Lynchy:

"Hard-headed businessmen with a lot of experience in the sports world are prepared to shell out far more than has been spent on any other A-League franchise for a team that, on performance alone this season, looks something of a dud.

Why? Because there is genuine upside here if they can revamp the business and, to all intents and purposes, relaunch it."

We might now get owners who recognise the need to invest in the club with the aim of winning silverware and not just treading water. This means a cleanout of the club from top to bottom. Painful at first but necessary medicine to ensure future success. Finally, hopefully some good news amongst the dire shit that has been dished out for the last year and a half.

Spoke to a prominent journo last night at the game and he said this deal has been agreed and will be finalised soon.

Also talking to him in his mad rush after the game he said he has dealth with Bart Campbell in the past and says he's a winner. Very good operator who doesn't make bad investments.

This right now is not my Heart. When this board fuck off and take Munn, Aloisi etc with them then that will be what we all want. This lot has made the club the worst in sporting history. We need winners. I'm so thankful we look like getting new owners.

When this is finalised I'm having a party with all my lads who I go to games with. A new Heart. A relaunch.

No longer the laughing stock.

• Like 1

Deal close on Melbourne Heart sale

That's as may be - it seems Heart investors, so keen to get out with what would be a profit at the reported $12 million sale price (which insiders say is close to the mark) -

The fact Heart has done well financially only shows what a bunch of bastards the board are. While we all pay our membership money they have painstakingly found every way they can to not spend money on the worst team in the comp. We still have JA because they care more about short term gain than results. In the first year of Heart I bought two Premium A tickets as a way of supporting the club even though it was well above what I should be buying. Each week I would take a different friend. I feel stupid for helping to make these pricks richer. 

Just can't have a new owners thread on here without talking about south melbourne can we? :P

But anyway this is very good news. People just have to understand the situation we are in now we are not going to suddenly turn around and be successful. It's going to take the new owners 2 years i reckon just to get us out of the shit.

This is what i'd like to see happen

1. SM announces the sacking of both JA ands HF and that interim coaching arrangements will be confirmed later in the week

2. Less than 24hrs later it is announced that Merbourne Heart is sold to a high flying consortium linked to the Melbourne Storm

3. The new Chairman states that he wants Melbourne Heart to become the biggest and most successful club in all of Asia and that he and his fellow investors will be doing everything in their power to make that happen, including appropriate levels of investment.

4. The new Chairman and Scott Munn jointly announce that the club is moving all operations to AAMI park.

5. Miron Bleiberg is annouced as an interim coach for the next 5 matches whilst the club commence a world wide search for a new manager.

6. Germano, Mcallister and Velaphi are released.

7. JVS is called back into the country to assist with the recruitment during the January transfer window and to commit more of his time developing our youth team, and it is announced that Brad Jones has been signed as new 1st choice goalkeeper. Josh Kennedy is also announced on a 10 match guest stint.

8. Miron announces his squad for the CCM game and plays a 4-4-2, stating he is taking it back to basics. Walker, Garrucio and Vrankovic get starts, Hoffman plays upfront with Williams, with Mifsud drifting in centrally off the left. Heart starts slowly, but is a lot more compact defensively and takes the lead just after half time. CCM draw level at the 72 minute. HK plays a great cameo in the last 10 minutes, but it is not enough with Sainsbury heading the winner from a corner with two minutes to play.

8. Scott Munn announces that he will not seek a contract extension with the club at the end of the season, and will focus his energy ensuring approriate transition for the new owners, and that he will have a less visible public presence for the remainder of the season.

9. JVS announces the signing of Tom Rogic on a loan deal till the end of the season (as our OZ marquee). Rogic says he needs playing time in the lead up to the World Cup.

10. We play Perth away and win. 1 nil, with Jacob Burns scoring an own goal in the 80th minute. Non-winning streak ended.

11. JD announces his resignation to focus on player management.

12. Marcello Bielsa announced as the new coach of Melbourne Heart, with his 1st match to be 20 Feb against the Roar. Biesla states that he understands the limitations of the A-League and he is looking forward to embracing the challenge of developing players, especially youth, in an equalised competition and that his aim will be to take Heart to National and AFC glory.

13. It is announced that midfielder Iñigo Pérez, a youth product of Athletic Bilbao has been signed on 2 year deal and will join the squad in two weeks.

14. Bielsa asks Miron to tell all players that all spots are up for grabs and that he wants detailed reports each week both on training and match day efforts. Competition and effort amongst the players is the most intense it has ever been.

15. Season continues, Heart beats Newcastle at home, loses (just) to Adelaide away in one of the matches of the season, thrashes Sydney at AAMI 5-1 (Farina is sacked and replaced by JA) and beats Perth 2 nil (regional) before drawing with the Phoenix away.

16. Bielsa arrives in time for Rogic's 1st match. Also, Engelaar is available for selection and is named on the bench.

17. 18 thousand attend the match against Brisbane, which ends 3 all. Rogic with a hatrick. Engelaar who gets 15 minutes, pulls up well after the hit out.

18. The club announce a pre-season game against Barcelona FC at the MCG.

19. The Derby arrives and is sold out. Heart smash the tards 5 nil. Nichols breaks his little toe. Muscat gets a red card for spitting on the ref. The tards have no choice but the sack him. Hayden Foxe is appointed their new 1st coach and he immediately enforces a new 'Where is Wally?" dress code on all coaching staff. Archie Thompson retires, crying like a little girl during his presser.

20. We win each and everygame for the rest of the season, make the finals which we win 2 -1 against WSW and we qualify for the AFC

21 .... then I wake up

Hey, go back to sleep, I want to enjoy our following few seasons :)

The only think that you forgot were Bielsa's pressers, all in Spanish and they go for over an hour each week where he meticulously dissects the tactics of the game, educating local press about the game. Craig Foster attends every presser, sits in the front row wearing an adult nappy to avoid stains on his pants. I'm sitting next to him :)

Edited by belaguttman

What concerns me about all this take over talk - The feeling we are going to be left deflated and disappointed !!

If it doesnt happen - (and put yourself in there shoes who would want to put in $12m to such a shite club )
Then we are in Dire Straits ...... rock bottom without a pot to piss in ( God knows we have already hit an all time low ) 

I think the overinflated price tag could put them off, $9m is more realistic 

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Statement-on-sale-speculation/81808

Melbourne Heart FC would like to acknowledge and address recent speculation linking the Club with a sale.

Melbourne Heart has been approached by a number of parties over the past 12 months.

The Club has always maintained that the owners would consider transferring ownership if they considered the sale to be in the best long-term interests of the Club, which includes players, staff and members.

Over the last four months, the Club’s ownership has held discussions with one particular group who has expressed an interest in growing the Club, which has always been the current Board’s vision.

The Club confirms, however, there has been no sale and that any discussions are ongoing.

Any discussions will ensure the Club’s existing structures remain, in order to prevent dislocation to the Club's philosophies or personnel.

Until such discussions are concluded, the Club will make no further comment.