Melbourne Football

Round 5 v WSW @ AAMI Park Friday 8 November

Ando

Just awful. Murdocca is the only thing this team has going for it. Wtf is the idea of playing long balls over and over and over to mifsud on topor stanley ? And if they were aimed for gol gol that is even worse. How is it possible that we can't even pass the ball out when it is 4 on 3 ?

We are playing with a mosquito fleet - so play to feet and move constantly. And if we can't do that then fold it up.

Mate and aziz are both shadows of their former selves.

I'm not sure I saw the mountain of chances. I saw us being allowed to get to the byline and when we got there we were lost because we didn't have anyone to cross the ball to. I can see heads dropping now amongst the players and crowd. Could be a very very long season

OUT SUNG BY AWAY FANS. 

and i though sydney fc was pathetic.

i hope your club just folds and hopefully we can get a club with real passion. thats the least the top boys at melbourne victory deserve.

on the positive side the KGB / yarraside youth or whatever tryhard firm you guys have didn't manage to 'bash' anyone today.

Edited by OmarOfTheWest
  • Like 1

OUT SUNG BY AWAY FANS. 

i hope your club just folds and hopefully we can't get a club with real passion.

on the positive side the KGB / yarraside youth or whatever tryhard firm you guys have didn't manage to 'bash' anyone today.

stfu idiot ^^^

Edited by Llama
  • Like 3

OUT SUNG BY AWAY FANS. 

i hope your club just folds and hopefully we can get a club with real passion. thats the least the top boys at melbourne victory deserve.

I did not hear a single peep out of the RBB.

Fuckin ell the Marinators made more noise last home game. Disappointing to be honest. Here I was thinking you had all these 'top boys'.

on a serious note/non trolling note on the rare day that harry kewell can finally play a match i think your team will be much more clinical. 

Contrary to what many believe i think JA is a prominsing manager and his subs were good. 

but put it this way, your team has been unlucky for the past few matches but thats football.

stand by your manager because sacking john aloisi and hiring a interim manager is not the way to go if you want to be an stable club (unlike sydney fc...)

Edited by OmarOfTheWest
  • Like 2

OUT SUNG BY AWAY FANS. 

Fuckin ell the Marinators made more noise last home game. Disappointing to be honest. Here I was thinking you had all these 'top boys'.

if you were in the yarraside i can somewhat understand where you are coming from but from what it seemed like watching it on television the RBB were louder for most of the match.

but the ' Come on you boys in red ' chant seemed the loudest so props for that, you do it better than sydney atleast.

• Like 1

Well that hurt.  I thought we were easily the better side.  Although we struggled to break them down at times, we still had some good chances and should have taken at least 1.  Can't fault the effort from the boys and a solid debut from Retre.  In the end i thought WSW did what they do every week - got out played for long periods but took the chance when it came.  Big issue for us is of course our finishing. 

Anyway I'm glad I "braved" the rush home from work plus the rain and the cold.

OUT SUNG BY AWAY FANS. 

We're all coming to the April match ;)

on a serious note/non trolling note on the rare day that harry kewell can finally play a match i think your team will be much more clinical. 

Contrary to what many believe i think JA is a prominsing manager and his subs were good. 

but put it this way, your team has been unlucky for the past few matches but thats football.

stand by your manager because sacking john aloisi and hiring a interim manager is not the way to go if you want to be an stable club (unlike sydney fc...)

Omar I disagree that we are unlucky. No shots on target in the first half is not unlucky. Dominating periods of games and doing nothing with it is not unlucky. What we have seen as fans is a club that has not progressed at all, not one bit since JVS left in fact we've abandoned the principles that attracted the fans to the club in favour of pragmatism, but that pragmatism has given us nothing of value and no success. You are in a fortunate position of being successful and establishing a strong on-field culture in your first season. We are not and offer nothing of value to the HAL apart from 3 easy points when visiting other teams. Replacing JA as 'punishment' and replacing him with a Sydney FC merry-go-round of coaches is a disastrous way to go, I agree but that is not the only option to continuing with JA. Yes, we will be a better team with Kewell if he ever plays but even if we are, we still need to win away from home when we can't even win at home. We will be a better team with Engelaar, and his injury was terrible luck for Aloisi as he was crucial to Aloisis's preferred style and game plan and this has had to change on the eve of the season. Relying on individual players though highlights the deficiencies in the team structure and coaching, your team wins without Ono or Hersi, Roar win without Berisha.

Positives from tonight:

our second half was better than our first for the first time I can remember. We didn't crumble and give up as usual when we went behind

Mifsud would dominate the league with some half-decent service.

Our defence is generally solid but still makes costly mistakes.

JA's substitutions were better for once

Problems:

We still struggle in  midfield with possession and good balls to the front third

when we open teams up with diagonal balls across the field we slow down the play instead of increasing the ball speed. The point of shifting the focus of attack is to create space. We don't have players moving to exploit that space or to create space and good organised defences like WSW handle our predictable play in the front third with little trouble.

Our shooting is tragically problematic. We have scored in 1 of 4 games. Creating chances is not the object of the game and we should not be happy with 'creating chances'.

• Like 2

Weather held up in the end, and the conditions were fairly good for football for the most part. Same old problems up front, incapable of scoring and converting easy chances. Goal accuracy is shocking too, and defence gets caught out way too often. There was a period 5-10 minutes from the final whistle where there were some real positives and about 5 consecutive shots. That's the kind of intensity that is required throughout the game, and it is evident through the reaction of the crowd during that time.

I thought the crowd was fairly decent considering the surrounding circumstances. I rocked up 10 minutes after kick-off and was fairly surprised with the turnout. Good signs for the time-being, but consistent shit performances will undo that in due time. The chojek in charge needs to go and a few players need a kick up the ass.

Well you can see exactly why WSW is at the top and why we are at the bottom. WSW are good at all facets of the game. Defending, holding in middle field when they want to and attacking at speed. We are just not on the pace with them in any of these departments. Why? Popovic versus JA. Popo has their team doing all the fundamentals right and consistently to a game plan. They do all the 1 percenters right. And you make your own luck this way and score. Forget about Harry and Engelaar. WSW can come in without Hersi, swap Ono and still be fooking solid. I though Kalmar did very well. He surely must get more game time.

I can't imagine losing to SFC. Fuck NO NO.

• Like 1

Omar I disagree that we are unlucky. No shots on target in the first half is not unlucky. Dominating periods of games and doing nothing with it is not unlucky. What we have seen as fans is a club that has not progressed at all, not one bit since JVS left in fact we've abandoned the principles that attracted the fans to the club in favour of pragmatism, but that pragmatism has given us nothing of value and no success. You are in a fortunate position of being successful and establishing a strong on-field culture in your first season. We are not and offer nothing of value to the HAL apart from 3 easy points when visiting other teams. Replacing JA as 'punishment' and replacing him with a Sydney FC merry-go-round of coaches is a disastrous way to go, I agree but that is not the only option to continuing with JA. Yes, we will be a better team with Kewell if he ever plays but even if we are, we still need to win away from home when we can't even win at home. We will be a better team with Engelaar, and his injury was terrible luck for Aloisi as he was crucial to Aloisis's preferred style and game plan and this has had to change on the eve of the season. Relying on individual players though highlights the deficiencies in the team structure and coaching, your team wins without Ono or Hersi, Roar win without Berisha.

Positives from tonight:

our second half was better than our first for the first time I can remember. We didn't crumble and give up as usual when we went behind

Mifsud would dominate the league with some half-decent service.

Our defence is generally solid but still makes costly mistakes.

JA's substitutions were better for once

Problems:

We still struggle in  midfield with possession and good balls to the front third

when we open teams up with diagonal balls across the field we slow down the play instead of increasing the ball speed. The point of shifting the focus of attack is to create space. We don't have players moving to exploit that space or to create space and good organised defences like WSW handle our predictable play in the front third with little trouble.

Our shooting is tragically problematic. We have scored in 1 of 4 games. Creating chances is not the object of the game and we should not be happy with 'creating chances'.

i very much agree with not being happy about creating chances. I think the reason the squad is not set up properly or with full function is as you said because engelaar was such a vital part to the squad that JA wants. However, I do not think that its an adequate reason for not being clinical as not just JA but the coaching staff in general should have sorted it out by now. I mean its not like the injury happened RIGHT before the start of the season.

HEARTinator makes a very good point about us not having Hersi but still being able to manage a win. I mean we never won a match without hersi before last weeks match. 

I think that although there is a very prominent problem at Melbourne Heart, I believe its not as bad as many people think. I also believe the problem is somewhat cultural. I have seen many so called ' Heart Fans ' concede that their club will never be as successful as the victory or the thread about being ' Small but Strong'. IMO its a load of rubbish. If Western Sydney settled for being ' Small but Strong ' do you think the club would be as successful as it is today. The whole mentality is wrong. I think part of the reason for this is that it must be said that Melbourne Heart simply don't differ enough from the victory. Both based in the same part of Melbourne. If an individual had a choice between the victory or the heart, only relying on cultural differences, why would he/she prefer one club over another ?

AND GOOD LUCK AGAINST SYDNEY :up:

Edited by OmarOfTheWest
  • Like 3

Next week is the big crunch game....loose it or even draw and its curtains. 2 points from 6 games and you can kiss finals goodbye and look forward to bottom two again.

The team is barely holding together by a string. One more loss and it will require a miracle from up above to get any confidence back in those boys. They were distraught after tonight as it was.

JA can talk about positives until the cows come home. If you cannot get the ball into the back of the net (4 out of 5 games now where we have failed to score) then you cannot win. In reality we didn't create any clear cut chances. We had better chances last week away rather than what we should have had at home tonight. I don't recall Covic having to make a save. The last 5 or so minutes a goal was only going to come from a deflection or mistake by WSW rather than from our good play.

OUT SUNG BY AWAY FANS.

Omar there's no need to act like that, you can have a proper conversation here. There's nothing wrong with discussing what WSW did right and what Heart did wrong. For the sake of the league I think we all want all the teams to do well. Edited by Portillo
  • Like 3

We're simply a club built on honourable loses. look at our whole season so far:

The derby: 'We should've won, but we came up with some good chances'

CCM: We should've won but at least we scored and played well

Brisbane/Perth: We had good moments, and even though we lost, we can build on this

Tonight: We came up with good chances, but couldn't finish

The whole problem with this club is that we are just not ruthless enough, the reason WSW, CCM ext are successful is because they demand success. We as a club just simply demand 'a good performance' And thats it. I'm so dissapointed right now i can't even begin getting into a review of any sorts.

• Like 2

Over the last 3 seasons our win ratio is 29.76%.

We have played 84 regular season matches and only won 26.

How the hell can you build a club and increase your gate attendances when you cannot win games.

Our away record is absolutely pathetic. We are going to equal the NZ Knights record at Newcastle in a couple of weeks and all I hear from our coaching panel is "We are playing great football but not scoring"....

Just about had enough of this bullshit to be honest......

• Like 1

LOL omar is such a typical west sydney name

Sat on the wing today and rbb weren't very noisy, mostly heard when there were long pauses in yarraside 

The noise depends on where you sit. I couldn't hear RBB but I was next to Yarraside. If I were at the other end I'd be saying the opposite. Similarly the sound on TV depends on microphone placing and mixing

OUT SUNG BY AWAY FANS. 

f**k off flog, your club is nothing but bandwagoners. Had your team been anything like ours, you'd too have f**k all supporters, so f**k up mate.

It's the same ol' shit from the same ol' Heart.

No goals? No worries. 

Very few real chances? Don't stress.

Mediocre performances from mediocre players? It'll be alright when Kewell/Engelaar are back. 

Bottom of the table after five matches? Pffft, season is only five matches old.

Useless coach with no discernible game-plan? Yeah but have you seen our luck recently?

No away win in almost two years? Yeah...fuck. That is a problem actually. We better fix that before we break an embarrassing record.

Edited by Harrison
  • Like 1