Melbourne Football

RND 3 Heart v Perth (Sun 27th - away)

Cinnamon

Can't wait to hear JAs comments...should be good to hear who he's going to blame

Heat

More to the point which young player is he going to blame for the loss

None. Going to use phrases like "we kept our shape" and "unlucky" then blame some kind of element like time difference or atmospheric pressure

• Like 3

Hoffman was not that bad today. Not great but no worse than anyone else

Hoff was terrible! Poorly positioned, easily turned, Sidnei got behind him every time he challenged. His positioning was poor, timing was poor, most of his tackles were poor. Apart from that he was very good :wub:

Hoff was terrible! Poorly positioned, easily turned, Sidnei got behind him every time he challenged. His positioning was poor, timing was poor, most of his tackles were poor. Apart from that he was very good :wub: as was everyone else. Why single him out

The only people who were not shit was: Mifsud when he didn't have to aerially battle with 6'something Thwaite, Weilart. That is it. However, I would hold the responsibility to Aloisi, as our lack of coherency and vision on the pitch, which results in more long balls than Larry David, is giving me the fucking shits.

Hoff was terrible! Poorly positioned, easily turned, Sidnei got behind him every time he challenged. His positioning was poor, timing was poor, most of his tackles were poor. Apart from that he was very good :wub:

Hoff was terrible! Poorly positioned, easily turned, Sidnei got behind him every time he challenged. His positioning was poor, timing was poor, most of his tackles were poor. Apart from that he was very good :wub: as was everyone else. Why single him out

He tries his best and is a good club man, I can't and never would fault him for effort but he isn't a right back and isn't up to HAL level. He can't defend and can't attack and reduces our width. We shored up the right side in the second half by doubling up but that always then creates space elsewhere.

• Like 2

exactly, why single out Hoffman when there was 10 other players out there who did fuck all. borderline disgraceful performance and god fucking help us if we continue to play this way, praying that this shit was a one off, but i dont think it will be unfortunately.

Edited by Victards

Wielart, Behich and Murdocca all were serviceable. Why the fuck am I bothering going to Brisbane next weekend?

This. I really do feel sorry for our travelling fans. I was planning on going on an away trip for the first time but if we continue these appauling performances away from home, I'll forget about it.

The entire agument JA puts forward for playing shit(defensive) football is so we can win. We aren't winning and haven't doen so for a while. If he is going to play that way he has to win or he needs to go.

Just to note, I don't think playing defensive football wins anything.

I can't believe I waited all week for that.

Fancy making Perth look good!  Only a special team can do that. 

i have to say I don't understand why Johnny refuses to change anything when the plan is clearly failing.  Gol Gol wasn't at the game today and shouldn't have started, but given he did, he really needed to come of at the 30 minute mark.

• Like 1

I really think people just have it in their head that Hoffman is shit and don't actually pay attention to his performance. I thought he did quite well and looked a lot more confident. He will have a good season. I'd much rather talk about how shit Aloisi, Golgol, and Williams were.

Has been going on for a while.  Sure he got beaten a few times, but he also put in a fair few successful tackles and held his own.  Anyone would have a tough time at right back when the opposition have 70% possession and are targeting that wing.  The real problems are elsewhere.

• Like 1

I can't believe I waited all week for that.

Fancy making Perth look good! Only a special team can do that.

i have to say I don't understand why Johnny refuses to change anything when the plan is clearly failing. Gol Gol wasn't at the game today and shouldn't have started, but given he did, he really needed to come of at the 30 minute mark.

Last week Merrick made a sub at the 30min mark and changed the game in favour of Nux. Fuck we were bad today.

We see our rivals put in a great second half performance in Adelaide last week to score 2 goals which could've been 3-4. And here we are calmly kicking the ball around with no intent when we know that Perth are no title contenders let alone favourites to make finals and we can't even create a genuine opportunity.

This team makes it very hard to "believe".

• Like 1

As someone who praised Hoffman for his efforts the first 2 weeks, I think he was absolutely hopeless in that first half. Sure, he redeemed himself in the second half a little but at the end of the day do we want to win games of football this season or just pat blokes on the back and say "you did alright today".

Harry needs to come back into the side next week or else we've got little to no chance, he might be actually capable of giving Mifsud a half decent pass.

I really think people just have it in their head that Hoffman is shit and don't actually pay attention to his performance. I thought he did quite well and looked a lot more confident. He will have a good season. I'd much rather talk about how shit Aloisi, Golgol, and Williams were.

Has been going on for a while.  Sure he got beaten a few times, but he also put in a fair few successful tackles and held his own.  Anyone would have a tough time at right back when the opposition have 70% possession and are targeting that wing.  The real problems are elsewhere.

I've defended The Hoff for a number of seasons. I can see the rest of the players improving, I can't see him as a RB. We've lost our attacking width and our right side has been targeted in 3 games out of 3 - not a coincidence. I agree with you that he wasn't the only problem today, our lack of a midfield press exposed him more than he deserved, but we won't have any width in attack with him as RB

• Like 1

Bad day at the office. No hiding from that.

The first 60 minutes were poor, mainly because we were atrocious at keeping the ball. Some individuals had a poor game as well. The thing is, there's 2 ways to play defensively: the organised Mariners way, where the ball is mainly in front of you, and the disorganised Sydney FC way (particularly seen with how they played against Brisbane), where you defend because you're awful at possession, and consequently you're doing a lot of last-ditch defending.

The few times we got the ball in the first 60 minutes, we played long and hopeless passes to relieve pressure. We didn't play good long balls like the Mariners did against Adelaide, and like we did sometimes against Victory and the Mariners last round. Our failure to use the ball when we had it was too reminiscent of' last season.

IMO, Wielaert, Kisnorbo (apart from his injury moment), Behich, Murdocca, Migliorini and Mifsud put in solid individual performances. 

Hoffman was targeted all game, as he largely has been for the past 2 rounds. Hoffman's problem is he'll continue to be targeted. He was okay today, but Hoffman is easily our weakest link in defence, so I'd prefer Walker.

I think it's no coincidence that arguably our biggest failure was our (inability) to move the ball from defence into attack, and Williams was our number 10. We need a midfielder like Mauk or Kalmar playing there. I reckon we'll lift massively when Kewell is fit.

I think Mifsud will only get better. He was starved of service, but he was busy up front, mainly running down opponents with the ball. He had a fine snap shot, which suggests he has good striker's instincts. But we won't know what he can do until we see him on the ball a good amount of times.

A lot of room for improvement.

• Like 2