Melbourne Football

Round 1 - Heart v Victory

heartrate

That was the worst match I've been too. Barely anything happened in the first 60 minutes and from then on it was if every player was just waiting for the final whistle. No risk taking, no creativity, no desire.

I was sitting level three at the Yarraside end but cause we were above the Yarraside we couldn't hear any of their chants and the stadium lacked any atmosphere for most of the game, despite there being 45,000 people.

I came away very frustrated.

My thoughts on the game itself;

I thought our defence was very solid. Am a fan of Wielaert and Kisnorbo, Behich was solid without excelling and Hoffman was decent, even though I still do not understand how Walker isn't even in the squad. He was arguably our biggest positive in the second half of last season.

Miglorini and Murdocca were both good, particularly Murdoccas energy and hunger for the ball. Miglorini is good, but his passing too often was very loopy and hopeful balls that didn't really work, and Mebrahtu should take set pieces ahead of him.

Our attacking three of Williams, Dugandzic and Mebrahtu were ok, but lacked any composure in the final third. Most of our chances were half chances from counter attacks instead of slow build ups and these guys have to get better at talking the extra second to compose themselves. You could see with two of Williams shots that they were always going to be off target because he rushed into them on an angle, Dugandzic's early chance would have benefited if he controlled it first, and Mebrahtu's chance where the keeper was in no mans land would have been much better if he got his balance before trying a speculative rushed shot as he fell. I'm hoping Mifsud changes this somewhat though as he seems to be the sort of player that has both the composure and finishing ability to really make the most of the couple of half chances he will get a match.

Kewell was great, and it was very good of the club to give him that headband so the casuals could easily identify him. His flicks were very good at opening up the game, and I think in a months time he is really going to be carving sides up from that attacking midfield position. We really missed him when he came off because he was the only attacking player we had that could receive the ball not on the run and still do something with it.

I was not impressed with the coaching at all.

Hoffman at right back was fine, he will do the job there and won't be too ambitious, but Walker quite simply is already a class above him and will only improve. Walkers biggest problem is a lack of pace and Hoffman is just as slow, so Hoffman only offers a point of difference in that he is conservative. Walker however, like Behich, has an ability to be creative from RB in both his passing and his ability to run with the ball. Last night it seemed we only had two routes to shots on goal which were bomb it for the wingers to run onto or pass it to Kewell and see if he could do something. I think that when Behich and Walker run with the ball from deep we are also very dangerous as they draw opponents and make our players move around them. Too often our players are stagnant and ball watching and having their teammate really push up the field and change the dynamics of the defence means that our players are more inclined to move. This is an attacking play that should not be underestimated and I think as a result Walker, if fit, should always start. I'm sure I'm not alone there though.

Our set pieces still lack any semblance of danger. Too often our crosses are cut off by the first defender, and we very rarely look like scoring from them (Kisnorbo's header aside). Miglorini's delivery is loopier than Mebrahtu's, but still seems to fall short. I would prefer Gol Gol to take set pieces, and I think it also helps him get more involved when he is struggling to have an impact as the striker.

Kewell being taken off for Ramsay was really stupid, It meant we had no focal creative point in our midfield and as much as I like Williams, he is better with the ball on the move not in a congested midfield where he can't run with it. Kalmar should have been the man to come on for Kewell and surely that was the reason why he was in the squad after barely featuring in pre-season. We needed someone who could control the ball and be creative with it, which is exactly what Kalmar offers. With an attack of Williams, Dugandzic, Mebrahtu and Ramsay you are left with four players that very rarely present for the ball, don't have great passing ability and can't control the ball unless they are running into space. It also puts a lot of pressure on your passes from defence to be long speculative balls.

Mebrahtu should have been taken off around the 60 minute mark for Ramsay. Williams would have moved to the central striker role and it would have changed the way their defence had to setup. Gol Gol seems to like starting in front of the CB's while Williams constantly looks to time his runs so he is just onside. It would have really kept Leijer and Contrares on their toes, especially as Gol Gol looks so casual so often and very easy to mark.

I also think we should have considered a third substitution. Both sides in the last half an hour looked tried and content with a draw but I think if we made the above changes and maybe got another pair of fresh legs on the pitch we could have finished off with some real energy and challenged for a late goal. As it was it was such a lacklustre finish to the game and we needed to try and push late. Victory were buggered and I think there was an opportunity to really push them lost there.

• Like 4

I understand the praise for Paddy Kisnorbo because he was generally solid as fuck, but is anyone slightly worried that he almost cost us a goal on two occasions? Completely fluffed a clearance on the by-line which the wifebeater cut back for Broxham to smash straight at Redders. Also the handball which imo could've easily gone the other way if the ref felt like being a cunt. Also needlessly got a yellow in the first 10 minutes.

Was far more impressed with Wielaart tbh. Could be the most underrated signing of the offseason. 

interesting match last night, in the fact that our tactical nous hasn't really improved much, if at all

the proces of shuffling the ball between the centre backs who then( when pressured) pass back to Redders, who then pumps a long ball forward( hopefully)  to Gol Gol ( who is no way an old fashioned centre forward) to contest

Is this what we are going to see again this season??

Shishs, surely the ball can be played to the full back, making themselves available , or short to the midfield. then to wings

there has to be some movement of the players creating space for a pass.

the long pumped ball has to be a last resort, at the moment is appears to be the first choice option

I couldn't believe my eyes when with 5mins to go in the first half we won a throw in the attacking third ( probably 15 from the byeline) the ball was thrown back to the centre line and made its way  back to Redders who pumped a long hopeful ball forward ( which we invariably lost the contest)

God only knows how Orlando would react to this , the ball by passing the midfield all the time

I thought that we had some good performers , happy with our CB's Wierlart and Knirsbo , Aziz wasn't his normal self

the M's in midfield fought hard

Was happy with Harry, he chased back and was involved in some hard stuff, not just playing the prima donna

JA has to work on his tactical skills, we aint going to do much by hitting the long ball from the keeper

that said, a draw in the opening game away from home is a good result

Edited by japiedog

interesting match last night, in the fact that our tactical nous hasn't really improved much, if at all

the proces of shuffling the ball between the centre backs who then( when pressured) pass back to Redders, who then pumps a long ball forward( hopefully)  to Gol Gol ( who is no way an old fashioned centre forward) to contest

Is this what we are going to see again this season??

Shishs, surely the ball can be played to the full back, making themselves available , or short to the midfield. then to wings

there has to be some movement of the players creating space for a pass.

the long pumped ball has to be a last resort, at the moment is appears to be the first choice option

This.  Thought we were pretty awful tbh.  Absolutely no plan going forward whatsoever, exactly the same as last year.  I just don't see how we can expect to regularly outplay teams and score goals in this way, apart from an occasional piece of magic from Kewell or pace from the wings.  We're just lucky Victory played poorly and didn't create much with all their possession (and our defense did well).  

Don't know if anybody else noted this on the night, but why does mate always think he has to cross the ball first time in, every time? He got in some good positions on the wing,but as soon as the ball was near him, off balanced or not, he would cross it in. Can't wait to see misfud next week 

I think that might be a bit harsh. Going backwards is not always a bad thing as long as it is done when needed. The issue we have always had is that we didn't look forward we just passed backwards as a default rather than see if there was something on.

Last night I reckon there was only one or two times were we did that. Even if it didn't come off I think the mentality was definitely "forward" rather than back. If that makes sense. I am a bit drunk right now.

Edited by KSK_47

I thought the crowd was ok. But there were about five drunk dickheads infront of me on the left in row 19. They werent keen on chanting and were just yelling stuff at the mv fans. And one knob just wouldnt stop standing on his seat.there should've been a bit more cohesion between bay 19 and 18.

Pissed at JA for subbing Kewell, moving Williams inside and leaving golgol one. He was fucking woeful up front

and what was with our crossing and corners? Low and to the first defender.

That aside we played well and were the better side. Pleased with Kewell too.

Mitch Nicols was shite. Glad to see him in Blue

That first substitution and tactical change wasn't the best, imo.

Pretty easy to keep it the same by playing kalmar in kewells role. He came on and worked his arse off.

Gol Gol up front on his own made him look like Lol Gol. lackluster performance from him... his first touch was shocking all night!

Still think Massimo should have been captain.

Kewell squashed my disbelief in him.

JA, I'll still stick up for you... but at least give me something positive to counter the haters lol... Fuck, I've seen better decision making at an abortion clinic.

I think we can almost all agree that the game was incredibly frustrating but the thing that got to me tonight was the lack of chanting and support coming from the active area. I was in the active area the whole game and was disappointed and confused to hear the words coming out of the persons mouth behind me he said "why are these guys infront standing up and chanting the whole game". I was in disbelief and further more confirms that half the people who turn up to the derby in the active area sit and do nothing. This leads to many people who want to chant and be active cant get any seats. 

It's disappointing to read that many of the problems of last season are seemingly still with us. However I think we need a few more matches before we can say whether or not Aloisi has learned anything at all. Hopefully Nus can point out to him some of points that seem to be pretty obvious to the fans.

I still think grinding out a draw on the Visitors' home turf is a good result, especially in the first match of the season, and considering our woeful record away from home last season. These derbies are always going to be tense, because more rides on them than just three points. IMO it's a waste of a good fixture, and would be much better played a few weeks in when both sides have had the opportunity to get some momentum going.

I just hope that we will play more attacking football as the season progresses, because we're not going to increase support by being negative.

• Like 1

Foxe still hasn't learnt to wear pants. At least pull the socks down !!!
The game was crap, but at least we didn't get cut up and looked more solid. 
Golgol is so lazy though. I don't care how fit you are, but to get caught offside like that it just lazy and not doing the team thing. 
Also Mate is so soft. As soon as he hears foot steps is jumps out the way. I wasn't at the game last night so I had a good view on telly. A number of times it happened. It's really going to cost us during the season. (and no, it's not because of his injury and getting back in to it, he was like it before)

Guy assisting capo with the mellllllbourne chant..... His voice cracked. hahahaha

Best moment!

Seriously, I was in the middle of bay19 and it was active area FFS why were those families there with kids right behind us???

It's active and this must be communicated better in the future.

We had the same problem at number of home games last year.

And ppl please....slow down and follow the CAPO!!!

Ahahahaha, everyone was pissing themselves over that! So funny.

I know, it was disappointing how many non-active supporters there were in the active area. There needs to be a more prominent disclaimer on the ticketing websites to indicate to the first-timers that active support means STANDING and CHANTING for 90 minutes, no more and no less.

• Like 1

Melbourne Heart FC Head Coach John Aloisi was pleased with his side’s performance in last night’s 0-0 draw against Melbourne Victory in front a record derby crowd of 45,202 at Etihad Stadium.

“I would say that it was tactically a good game,” he said.

“A lot of people will see 0-0 and not a lot of chances, but I thought we had a game plan and the boys did very well defensively.”

Melbourne Heart looked much better defensively, and still created a number of chances, with Golgol Mebrahtu, Harry Kewell and a returning Mate Duganzdic coming close to scoring on the night.

Despite the stalemate, Aloisi believes a point a piece is a good start to the season for the Red and White, although he felt his side should have taken advantage of their dominant period during the start of the second half.

“At the beginning of the second half we played on the ball a lot more, [Andrea] Migliorini played well, Harry [Kewell] did well," Aloisi said.

“The boys did what we wanted, what we could have done better was during the 15 to 20 minutes we had the ball was be more patient.”

Aloisi highlighted the fact that both forwards Michael Mifsud and Dylan Macalister were unavailable, meaning his side had to change up some of their tactics to suit the presence of Mebrahtu.

Aloisi said he would monitor Kewell's condition after he suffered two knocks to the head last night and was removed as a precaution in the 68th minute.

“Harry got a knock to the head and got some whiplash and had some neural pain down the back of his leg,” he said. “We took him off as a precaution.”

Aloisi singled out praise for the new captain’s performance, saying that he will only improve as the season progresses.

“Harry will only get better,” Aloisi said. “The more he plays with those guys the better he’ll get.”

Jez Walkers dad in the middle of the Active Support cracking it with Bannon for saying "CUNT" to much, leaving the bay and dobbing him into the cops!!!!

They're all cunts in Tassie so I don't know why he had issues with it Your shitting me right??

Is that why u got kicked out???

All I have to say is WTF

Some of you need to relax. Harry was subed to avoid getting injured. Our tactics to play backwards were to draw victory out of their half and create space in behind them. Our formation clearly changed once harry went off, which changed how we played our football. We lost our midfield once this happenned, but I have a suspicion that JA wanted us to catch them on the counter with kalmar, williams, dugandzic, golgol, migliorini playing in more of a linear formation and all attacking as one. It seemed however the long balls from defence to golgol proved ineffective for this sort of tactic. No surprise there. Was it the right tactic. Maybe, maybe not. But the positive I see in that is JA is trying to change things up with different formations and tactics, something we were all screaming for him to do. It didn't cost us a goal, so I have to praise his attempt to actually make a change.

In the end you can nitpick individual performances, coaches etc but last nights performance is a positive step to build off. All the players some of you are saying had shit games, well fuck so be it. They will get better...dugandzic, golgol, aziz, migliorini etc that's the worst you will see of them, they will get better.

• Like 2

For fuck sakes, i saw atleast 10 victory supporters in OUR active AWAY bay. As well as 10 families which included a child under the age of 5, One of them i heard complain about the abusive language. Theres a fucking family section to the right of the Active Away area. these fuckheads blow my mind

• Like 3

Our tactics to play backwards were to draw victory out of their half and create space in behind them.

I think that's an important point to keep in mind. Whether you like seeing it or not, there's method to the back passing. Our best chances will usually come from playing players into space behind the defenders. Also, while long balls can often be aimless lobs, when they come off, they can play our wingers and Mifsud into space. Personally, I don't like seeing it go all the way back to Redmayne because I don't think his distribution is all that good. But I think it will take a few weeks to see how successful we'll be tactically. As players get used to playing together etc.

Last night, we were able to prevent Victory from finding any control or much attacking threat. And we could've easily pinched a goal or two with better finishing. As a starting point for the season, I'm fairly satisfied with that.

Edited by Sash

Yeah had all last night. Bikie blokes complaint about us being in their seats, a family behind us that were shattered when they had to stand. Told me to watch my arms when throwing them in the air, lol. Never heard that one before. They lasted about 70mins.

I understand families are very important but for fucks sake read what tickets you're purchasing before you buy them. They need to make that heart reserved area next to the active area either the same price or cheaper so people stop ending up in there.

Thank god we don't have to do that again for another year!

• Like 1