Melbourne Football

Orlando Engelaar

Murfy1

it was a red imo.

if it was a Sydney player who did it to one of our boys, we wouldve been filthy. 

I agree. A sloppy and stupid tackle by our marquee player, who up to then was bossing the match. As it was we went down to ten men, and he will miss the next two matches.

IMO that is not good enough from a guy who is on the coin he is on - whatever it is.

I doubt he'll miss two. He'll miss the one minimum as there was no intent and minimal force involved.

Edited by Caddy

it was a red imo.

if it was a Sydney player who did it to one of our boys, we wouldve been filthy.

I agree. A sloppy and stupid tackle by our marquee player, who up to then was bossing the match. As it was we went down to ten men, and he will miss the next two matches.

IMO that is not good enough from a guy who is on the coin he is on - whatever it is.

I doubt he'll miss two. He'll miss the one minimum as there was no intent and minimal force involved.

Ahh so naive caddy. This is the FFA, they'll be backing the ref and give him at least 2

it was a red imo.

All we can do is ask for consistency in decisions, we all know that it wouldn't have been a red if ADP made the same tackle, even a double handed block of a shot in the box was ignored by the ref. We do have to judge each incident on its own merits though, I think that t was a clear yellow but a very harsh red. to those watching the HAL for the first time, you'll never complain about EPL refs again after you've watched these guys for a few games. It's the one aspect of the HAL that hasn't improved from season 1 because the FFA refuses to fund professional refs.

This. One of the problems I have is that u generally get two or three tackles like Engelaar's every week yet most go without a red. Not saying they shouldn't just would love consistency.

What gets me more about last night was that the ref gave so many decisions for the more trivial / not always punished (ie Janjetovics yellow for kicking the ball away) yet neither penalty shout was given.

Comes across to me me as a power trip.

There is one thing that can be said in favour of JA/JD and that is becoming apparent now - they seem to have assembled a reasonable team (yes there are some poor players and some good ones). Perhaps JA's calling is not coaching but talent spotting and list management.

Ive been wondering about this, and what you say could be very true. Kisnorbo seems to be a great addition imo, but ultimately it depends on who did majority of scouting to bring in the players we have, that deserves the praise.

Just had a twitter punch-on with Richard Garcia, says the club decided to sign Engelaar instead of him. Finally got to the bottom as to why he left. Still confuses me as to how it works though, as if Garcia is marquee quality. Glad we signed the big Dutchman.

@SamMills2910 @lonimo1 > they signed Orlando instead......

Just had a twitter punch-on with Richard Garcia, says the club decided to sign Engelaar instead of him. Finally got to the bottom as to why he left. Still confuses me as to how it works though, as if Garcia is marquee quality. Glad we signed the big Dutchman.

@SamMills2910 @lonimo1 > they signed Orlando instead......

his management came out way before he was signed and said Garcia is looking at all his options etc. I think he was sodding around hoping to get a better offer and didn't. I call porkies mr Garcia !! Edited by thedukeofhearts

Why would Heart signing Engelaar effect Heart signing Garcia, unless he was asking for international marquee big wages (or perhaps just big wages in general)?

it was reported that Heart were negotiating with Garcia at least from the middle of May through til the middle of August (when Sydney signed him), and Heart were very possibly negotiating with him for even longer. I doubt Heart spent at least 3 months negotiating with Garcia over the length of the contract ... I find it hard to reason that it could be anything but money.

The only thing that I can think of that might have prevented us from signing Garcia was if we used up all of our 23 spots, and looking at the squad list on Wikipedia now I'm pretty sure we had at least 1 (Australian) spot left.

It's also a fact that Garcia's full of shit. he said in August, just before he signed with Sydney, that he was only ever interested in re-signing with Heart, saying ' it was always a case of 'when' I was returning to Melbourne not 'if''. But he said just a few months earlier in May:

- 'I am still talking with the club and I am waiting to hear back from them and I also have feelers out elsewhere and there are a few possibilities [...] “I am pretty relaxed about the future,” he added. “I am the good side of 30 and more experienced and level headed as a player and a person. And I just want to enjoy my football – wherever that may be.”

AND

-'"At the moment I'm just looking at my options," he added "I'm still in negotiations with Melbourne Heart and there's another couple of A-League teams as well. There's also options in the Middle East and in Asia. I've got to consider everything for the good of my career' 

Garcia will always try to spin it otherwise, as it doesn't look good when you leave clubs mainly because of money, but the evidence indicates he did with Heart.

• Like 2

Bit harsh on Garcia me thinks. From piecing things together when he returned he was not on a big salary and had to prove himself. Being Heart's player of the year did just that, so naturally enough he wanted a pay rise. This is usually a matter of negotiation and I am not privy as to how much he was after nor how much the club was offering. Secondly, when did Engelaar come into the club's radar is also an unknown - perhaps this was the reason the club was stringing RG along because what would have happened if OE had decided not to come? In any case OE did arrive, the club called off negotiations and RG was left without a club and thus had to settle for whatever SFC offered because by that stage the recruiting window was closing fast.

Now regardless of what you think of RG's performance there are several lessons to be learnt. Players should get good advice from their representatives, if they don't they should get themselves another manager. For the club, how they treat their players matters to the morale of the team - my belief is that WSW are not dominating so much is the way the club has treated Shinji Ono who had publicly declared he wanted to stay in Oz and had been critical for their success, and yet the club issues a press release that Ono wanted to return to Japan to be closer to his family. Football is a hard business but keeping a workforce happy is also part of managing. Now for the next season what would happen if Kewell says that he has proved himself and wanted a pay rise?

• Like 2

Having watched the Friday's night game again one thing is beginning to bother me: OE's size. He monstered the SFC players, he was physical without being nasty but because he towers over the players the possibility that his elbow will connect with the other players head is big. But worse than that is that the opp players will simulate contact and fool the ref.

Not ashamed to say that I've really got no idea what the story is with Garcia leaving. Once Heart's season finished, I switched to AFL-mode, heard about the huge signings and the major exodus of Fred/Bolton/Thompson/Colosimo and assumed Garcia would be with us in 2013/14. Then when the squad was finalised and I looked at the ins and outs, he wasn't there. Shit happens. Anyway, I'll always respect how he played for the side last year and don't hold any ill-will towards him.

Not ashamed to say that I've really got no idea what the story is with Garcia leaving. Once Heart's season finished, I switched to AFL-mode, heard about the huge signings and the major exodus of Fred/Bolton/Thompson/Colosimo and assumed Garcia would be with us in 2013/14. Then when the squad was finalised and I looked at the ins and outs, he wasn't there. Shit happens. Anyway, I'll always respect how he played for the side last year and don't hold any ill-will towards him.

He wanted more money. Didn't show any genuine interest in Heart because he remained in Perth when pre-season training started. Eventually he over-played his hand and lost out.

Just one of those things.

• Like 1

Fully agree with JW.

In May Heart offered Garcia more money (an offer Munn called 'really competitive'), but The World Game, hardly a Heart friendly media outlet, reported that Garcia wanted a 'more substantial rise' in wages.

Heart clearly had a set amount of money it was prepared to spend, which especially made sense this season because we were also paying a lot more on the playing roster to sign the likes of Engelaar, but Garcia just wouldn't settle for the increases we were offering, and by the time we were about to sign Engelaar (which happened on August 9) Garcia realised he wouldn't get the big bucks he wanted so he went to Sydney.

I'd like to point out the club wasn't completely blameless. I thought we had a squad spot left, but we apparently gave Sam Mitchinson a senior contract so that wasn't the case (if we were to sign Garcia we would have had to forgo signing Kisnorbo or Mifsud). Also, we wasted a spot re-signing Hoffman in the off-season before Heart had sorted out things with Garcia (and, of course, Heart signing many other players can be criticised).

Aloisi's stubborn insistence of playing his poorly 4-2-3-1 made it difficult to accommodate a player like Garcia as well, so Heart was dead set on a DM, then a CB then a striker.

Finally, if Heart under Sidwell and co. were prepared to spend a significant amount more, assuming we had space in the salary cap, we could probably have got Garcia (in place of Kisnorbo or Mifsud).

Overall though, as I see it Garcia spent at least 3 months, and maybe 4 or 5, trying to get an extortionary pay increase from Heart, which he thought he'd get after he was named our player of the season, and he wouldn't accept the more than reasonable offers Heart made. And then as JW said he over-played his hand and lost out.

Edited by Murfy1

A little grab from 442's report of the red card:

"Melbourne Heart giant Orlando Engelaar will also sit out his side's game agaist Perth Glory this week after he picked up a mandatory one match ban for his savage tackle on pint-sized Hagi Gligor in Friday night's match against Sydney FC at AAMI Park"

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/joel-banned-ffaagain#D3ew3sWZuEisfP4Z.99

Are these wankers serious?!

Giant, pint-sized and savage; I feel like I'm reading a story designed to scare kids. 'Spose we can't expect journalism from these mugs.

• 2 weeks later...

So after seeing this bloke play a full 90, I'm in love.

However, he's not really the big name marquee you would think the new owners would be looking for and his wage demands are probably too high to be considered within the cap? Arguably one of the most skilled and influential midfielders in the competition (and has a bit of hardman side as well) and I would love to keep him.

What does the future hold for Big O?

So after seeing this bloke play a full 90, I'm in love.

However, he's not really the big name marquee you would think the new owners would be looking for and his wage demands are probably too high to be considered within the cap? Arguably one of the most skilled and influential midfielders in the competition (and has a bit of hardman side as well) and I would love to keep him.

What does the future hold for Big O?

Given his age I wouldn't be surprised if we could hold onto him for another year within the cap. If his family has settled, at 35 I think he'd be happy getting 2-300k a year. Not sure of too many other leagues that would pay big money for a non-name player at 35... even if he is Zeus. 

• Like 1

Bloke's an absolute monster. I find it hilarious just watching him stroll through the centre of the park as most of the teams we've played have no absolutely idea have to play him; he's good with the ball at his feet and can beat a man if you close him down yet if you stand off him he's easily capable of splitting the back 4 with a beautiful pass, you also can't play a high ball into his general vicinity as he'll win just about every aerial duel.

Echo the general sentiment here that I'd like to see him kept but not as a marquee if possible. Him and his family seem to like life down here and having City own the club opens up doors for high paying/highly prestigious coaching roles for a top organisation after retirement, which will appeal to a lot of older players like him, Kewell and Kisnorbo in my opinion.

Even the way his leg recovered is impressive. I thought he would be out for the season for sure.  I remember people saying that even if it healed he should just forget about this season given how out of practice he would be. 

What we are seeing now is probably "out of practice" Engelaar. Imagine him with a full preseason under his belt.

He's a top player and wish he started at the beginning of the season. I feel when Engelaar and King Kewell play in midfield together we dominate the game and create great chances. I hope they both start in the derby

Be careful Victory, be very careful.. '' ENGELAAR THE MIDFIELD GENERAL'' is gonna tear you apart!  :P 

Engelaar vs Wellington - Passing 55 out of 75 (73%)

20avtlk.png

Very big numbers showing Engelaar's big performance over the weekend. On first glance, his passing might look a little off, given that he passed at 73%, but that's because Engelaar played so so many passes, much more than both of our other starting midfielders (Murdocca and Gerhardt) put together, and because Engelaar often tried to play forward passes that would set up our attacks. Engelaar played maybe 10 excellent sweeping passes, that rather single-handedly  got those 10 attacks off and running (such as Williams first goal, which Engelaar set up with that great pass, indicated in yellow above). Engelaar just about WAS our midfield on Sunday.

It was also great work by JVS and Engelaar himself to make Engelaar the Heart of our midfield. It doesn't just happen that a team's best players have the biggest influence, just look at Hernandez in our match against Wellington. On the weekend we perfectly got our best player, Engelaar, to have the biggest influence, whilst we made sure that Wellington's main player, Hernandez, had a very limited influence. The match was a real masterclass win.

JVS said with a pretty big smile on his face after the Wellington game that Engelaar 'still is not in his best form'. I can't wait to see Engelaar play in our last 8 games.