Melbourne Football

Jonatan Germano

Red or Dead

Was great tonight

Yes he usually is when he plays and we win far more games than we lose when he does play, he just does't play often enough

Exactly this.

If we want to move on from being an up and down side we must remove being hopeful that a player will be fit, but knowing without doubt he will be. He needs to play the remaining games and not miss a beat to even consider talking to him.

Just over the worry. Good player but just injury prone and a liability.

Did play very well tonight though.

On 442 I read a comment that its a rare thing that any A-League club get its best 11 starting.

Its a real problem and I am certain the hard summer grounds play a part.

What Germano does well is that by force he gets through with the ball and then makes the right decision.

When fit is prob our most important player. (Not the best skilled. Not the biggest name.) but more often than not when he plays. We win.

Couldn't agree more. His work rate is top class. One player that can remain in the starting 11 if he is free from injury. I would hold my decision about him till the end of the season. Stays fit and performs like last night, l would re-sign.

• Like 1

Probably the best 1 percenter player in the league. Does the things that go unnoticed like slotting into the defence to slow a counter and close space and challenges for everything.

There was one moment in last nights game that personified what he brings. In the space of 10 seconds he cleared a goalbound header, then put some body on the opposition player when the ball was floated back into the box forcing the ball outside the box where he closed down the shooting opportunity.

A lot of blokes earning a lot more could take a leaf out of his book to what's expected when you step onto the park.

Well his two performances have shown to me he is a much more productive player than Paartalu.

There is obvious doubts about his injury record, however it is possible the training he has been doing may have helped him overcome those long term injuries. Now the question is would he be worth keeping if he played injury free for the rest of the season. If he was an Aussie citizen then I would say yes. However, I wouldn't sign him on as a visa player.

It will be interesting to see how he performs for the rest of the season.

• Like 2

After promising my misses ages ago to give her his kit, When my misses said hello to him after the game on Friday, he didnt hesitate and gave her the kit straigh away. Quality bloke

Besides my little Mifsud blimp on the radar, he's been my favorite player from his first day at the club. All round nice bloke and like ive said a few times on here, clearly has the quality. Probably the main reason why he's still with the club. With aal the facilities and connections the CBG brings, i just cant see why we cant try and find a way to get his body right. I think if he can become an Aussie citizen and stay on the park for the rest of the season, than why not take the risk.

• Like 5

I think we can all take as read that we can't justify keeping him if he remains an international player (not racist but...). And if he breaks down again before the end of the season, it's got to be goodbye as well.

The question is only really worth bringing up if we're assuming Germano qualifies as a local player, going into next season and then, what sort of salary he'd command. We can't possibly offer him the money that a starter would get. We'd have to go in with the bad scenario in mind (which, I'd say is what we've got the past two years). But if it's a question of Germano, or the likes of Dugandzic, Ramsay, Hoffman, Murdocca for the same price (maybe low five figures to 100-110k), would we prefer Germano's standard 6-10 quality performances, or pretty much a full season of mediocrity from the others (not even that, in some cases)? And, if we get more than that out of Germano, that's the sort of bargain that will help us sign and retain more top-end talent.

It's hard to say without knowing what else is on offer, but if we take for granted the above factors (that he's Australian, that he's cheap and that he has a clear run without injuries from the start of 2015 until the end of the season), I think we might be hard-pressed to find an Aussie that will offer more as one of the lower paid senior players in the squad.

• Like 2

Take a chance and sign him up again! His goal possibly sealed us a finals berth.

I rather wait to see whether he has Oz citizenship and that there are no better alternatives. Since this guy has been back, we have looked a much better side. His work rate is as good as Melling's. I have always rated this guy and still rate him. I would re-sign should he stay match fit till the end of the season. Edited by Tony999

Every time this season that Germano has played more than 1 half of football the team won. Germano has played more than 45 min over the past 3 matches and the team has won all of them.

Also, Germano has played 307 minutes this season and has gotten 1 goal. 307 minutes per goal is a better minutes per goal ratio than pretty much all of our forwards. And as of last night, Germano is the club's all time top scoring midfielder with 7 goals.

Really hope Germano can get Australian citizen before next season, so he can possibly be signed outside of the 5 Visa spots. I reckon Melbourne City, with its new resources, should be able to keep a player like Germano a lot more fit and in better shape than Melbourne Heart with its wheelie bins could. So IMO if Germano can stay fit for the remainder of the season, keep playing well and get Aussie citizenship before next season kicks off, then I reckon he's worth re-signing for low salary cap wages. It's getting tiring trying to completely overhaul the squad each season, so I'd like to see at least one respectable clubsman play at this club for more than 2 seasons, and especially if players show a lot of hunger and work-rate I'd like them to be kept if possible (this club needs as many players like Germano and Melling as it can get).  

• Like 2

A-League: Injury-cursed ‘warrior’ Jonatan Germano is a Melbourne City favourite

MATT WINDLEY

APRIL 02, 2015

JONATAN Germano has featured on Melbourne City’s injury list almost as many times as the teamsheet.

Massimo Murdocca describes him as “a warrior, that natural winner you want in your side” and maybe that’s why John van’t Schip and John Aloisi before him kept the faith when Germano admits other clubs would have said “see you later” a long time ago.

City has played 105 A-League games since Germano arrived in 2011, but the Argentine has been injured for 45 of them.

Last week he reached the 50-game milestone, scored, and City won 1-0 against Brisbane in what was one of the most important matches in its history.

The goal itself wasn’t anything overly spectacular, just a tap in after Josh Kennedy’s header was saved on the goal line, but that he scored at all on such an occasion would have delighted and frustrated City fans in equal measure.

Here is a guy that can be so utterly influential on his day, but is rarely fit enough to show his worth.

His hamstrings have cost him 23 games, his ankle 11, calf 10 and Achilles one.

There is no underlying reason, Germano said, to explain why his body fails him.

He likened his injury days to a storm, but continued with hope in his voice that “now the sun is up for me”.

So, as the other saying goes, he now has make hay while it shines.

“It was frustrating of course, it was no good,” Germano said.

“I was not happy. I come every day to home and tell my wife, ‘Something happen again and we have to stop, we have to settle down again with the leg’.

“And then after we try again, it happen again.

“But, like I say, I have to keep trying because this is what I love.

“It’s not saying, ‘I finish and put my boots outside the door ... and do something different’, no, all the time I believe, my family in Argentina believe. They always call and say ‘what has happened? Why you not play?’ and I have to tell them I have a lot of problem with muscle.

“My brother, he play soccer, he say to me, ‘You have to look after you’ and this and that.

“All the time I think I done everything right, but when God decide this happen to you cannot change this. If it happen it happen for a reason.”

Not selected for six straight games after overcoming Achilles soreness that developed during the Asian Cup break, one suspected Germano had had his last chance, that the club did not want to risk his body failing again as it did in Round 4 when, after starting in his first game back from a calf injury, he tore his hamstring in the first half and was out for eight more games.

But the 26-year-old always kept the faith.

“The coach told me that one day I would have the opportunity,” he said.

“He didn’t know when, but he gave me the opportunity a few weeks ago and I take it. I think I showed them I can play after all this period with long injury.

“Always I think in my head after the injuries ‘I have to come back, I have to come back’ because this is what I want, I want to play.

“For me, soccer is my life. I come here to play soccer, not stay on holidays, so for me it was so hard.

“Now it has started working and hopefully I don’t have more injury, I can play and we can win something because this is what I want.

“This club gave me the opportunity to come to Australia. They opened the door for me, for my family. My (four-year-old) son, if you ask him where he is from he says “Australia”, he doesn’t say Argentina.

“We love Melbourne, we love this club.”

His feeling of indebtedness to City notwithstanding, Germano is reluctant to talk too much about his status at the club beyond this season given that he is at the end of his contract.

Instead he is thinking about nothing more than tonight’s game against Western Sydney at Pirtek Stadium. Cliched yes, but understandable given his injury run.

“Hopefully we make the finals and I play in the playoffs and then we see what happens,” he said.

“At the moment I’m thinking about today, not tomorrow.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/a-league-injury-cursed-warrior-jonatan-germano-is-a-melbourne-city-favourite/story-fnii0fc4-1227289750758

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Would take me too long to do all the numbers but I would take a stab at saying this bloke has the highest Win % when on the field of all players in the entire history of our club (taking Madaschi and others who haven't played more than 20-30 games into account). Says something imo.