Melbourne Football

A-league expansion

Pigeon

Who said we are helping kiwi football and they arent helping our league by providing a bigger market?

Nothing wrong with adding another 20% to our market, it's not like Wellington and any other NZ team wouldnt fill half their roster with Aussies anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geo400 said:

It would have to be a brand new club is Auckland as the one that wants in has Croatian ties, it's not happening.

On those grounds your own favourite expansion club South Melbourne would also be disqualified. What's sauce for the goose is also sauce for the gander.
IMO if you're going to push for the admission of an existing club that has "ethnic roots" on the grounds that it has moved on from or discarded those ties then you're going to have to come forward with the criteria that show that that has happened.

22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

On those grounds your own favourite expansion club South Melbourne would also be disqualified. What's sauce for the goose is also sauce for the gander.
IMO if you're going to push for the admission of an existing club that has "ethnic roots" on the grounds that it has moved on from or discarded those ties then you're going to have to come forward with the criteria that show that that has happened.

Could you imagine the sort of msg the ffa would be sending out to 90% of the clubs in this country if they introduced kiwi cros into the comp? It's an absurd idea, south melb won't be getting a license, neither should auckland.

I dare say if Auckland got in, or any existing club really, it would be a brand new club, even if it's the same people behind it. Much like what all the South Melbourne proposals seem to be, and what they do in the US. 

Edited by Tesla

13 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Here is a question to the Greeks following City: would you switch to South Melbourne if they get in?

Hypothetical at this stage. Isn't FFA about to release some criteria for applications for expansion clubs shortly - I think I read that very recently? IIRC then we will know a lot more very soon.

On 28/11/2016 at 9:07 PM, Tesla said:

I dare say if Auckland got in, or any existing club really, it would be a brand new club, even if it's the same people behind it. Much like what all the South Melbourne proposals seem to be, and what they do in the US. 

That's what Queensland Lions did too.

53 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Surely, you'd feel strange if City scored against the club you used to support and now you're cheering against them?

I wouldn't feel comfortable about it that's for sure, I'd be happy to pull double duty and watch both teams, it's very hard to explain the love and connection you feel for your original team, but I'm also very invested into what CFG is doing with the club, AAMI park and lakeside double headers it will have to be for me. At the very least the food will be better at lakeside lol

1 hour ago, Tony999 said:

Surely, you'd feel strange if City scored against the club you used to support and now you're cheering against them?

I wouldn't feel that strange tbh, I was young back then, I don't really remember anything as i only went to a couple games with dad and relos. But I go to a few games a year in NPL nowadays in the aleague offseason but it's hard as I play as well ya know. We're City now but yeah for dad and his parea they'd defs be in 2 minds dude. Yourself?

On 12/2/2016 at 6:17 PM, Baka1 said:

I wouldn't feel that strange tbh, I was young back then, I don't really remember anything as i only went to a couple games with dad and relos. But I go to a few games a year in NPL nowadays in the aleague offseason but it's hard as I play as well ya know. We're City now but yeah for dad and his parea they'd defs be in 2 minds dude. Yourself?

Well l went to Knights games pretty much as far as l remember my childhood, played for Knights as a junior, refused to get onboard the A-league train when it started and probably a good thing as who knows, l probably would've been a Victory member by now. Gave into the A-league finally and started with Heart since day dot. But to answer your question, l think l will cross that bridge when Knights get into the A-league, if that was to ever happen. Personally? I wouldn't want any old NSL team anywhere near the A-league.

12 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Well l went to Knights games pretty much as far as l remember my childhood, played for Knights as a junior, refused to get onboard the A-league train when it started and probably a good thing as who knows, l probably would've been a Victory member by now. Gave into the A-league finally and started with Heart since day dot. But to answer your question, l think l will cross that bridge when Knights get into the A-league, if that was to ever happen. Personally? I wouldn't want any old NSL team anywhere near the A-league.

Not bad at all mate. I'm with ya on not wanting any NSL team near the aleague. 

34 minutes ago, thedissilent said:

Greg O’Rourke went on record saying “We have been saying for some time that any new team in the A-League will need to add value for all existing stakeholders.’’

Cant imagine CFG would find the added value in a 3rd central Melbourne team who also plays in a predominately blue kit

I think we've learned from this season and especially from the past week or so that there is not the market appetite for more A-League football in Melbourne.

I don't know enough about Sydney to know whether there is a sufficient market there to support a third club without diluting the interest in the two existing clubs. IMO we do need to look at expansion to stimulate interest in the season (which gets a bit ho-hum by the time you're playing another team for the third time) but am of the view that any expansion team must come from a reasonably large and defined population centre. IMO it's not just a matter of the club having an identity, it's that people need to identify with the club and you need some local content in sponsorship, and I don't think these occur unless there is a locality focus rather than some sort of diffuse concept (such as "Tasmania" or "Southern Sydney)."

seems increasingly likely that we're gonna get Tasmania and a Shire/Gong team.

I'm of the uneducated opinion that Wollongong is big enough and has a perfect stadium to be a feasible standalone team, but the FFA seem too keen for South Sydney to happen. 

• Like 1

O' Rourke has also come out and said that the criteria will be released early in the new year and that bidders should avoid putting in heaps of time and effort (and lay off pushing for Government support) until said criteria is released; this makes me half thing that some of the bids that are being actively pushed may have elements that either will be or are likely to be incompatible with the criteria......and part of me would find it quite amusing if South Melbourne ignores this advice, keeps pushing its bid, and then when the criteria is released finds out that much of the work they've put in can't actually be used...

36 minutes ago, Nate said:

seems increasingly likely that we're gonna get Tasmania and a Shire/Gong team.

I'm of the uneducated opinion that Wollongong is big enough and has a perfect stadium to be a feasible standalone team, but the FFA seem too keen for South Sydney to happen. 

Well, my opinion is that both of those options will be a resounding fail. For my money there are two front runners - Canberra and Wollongong.

Team discovery channel.

my vote would be Tassie, for the away trips.

well the FFA now has a way not to expand (heart) and a way to expand (wsw) you would just hope that whomever is the winning bidder there is extensive consulting with potential supporters to create the club

Some articles are seeming to suggest South Sydney and Geelong are the two favourites with bookies. South Melbourne are at $26. 

This comes in line with earlier rumours that South Sydney and Geelong were favoured by FFA. 

As someone has already stated on another forum, the quietness of the Geelong bid may suggest that they know it's in the bag, much like the Heart bid all those years ago. Obviously they've already met with the FFA earlier this year and have already had discussions with the state government, local government and the Kardinia Park trust, so clearly something is occurring there. 

Could also explain why we haven't heard anything all that concrete with South Sydney either. The fact that games have been played in Geelong over recent years, including Atletico Madrid, would suggest Geelong is at the very least in consideration for expansion. 

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out anyway, but a Geelong team would be awesome and wouldn't hinder the Melbourne market. 

Edited by RedAndWhitePride

So we can look forward to the criteria to be announced in February 2017 to be structured so that only two bids can be successful?

I'm also interested in what the fixture is going to look like and how much thought has been put into that. 12 clubs means either 22 or 33 matches, or an AFL-type lop-sided fixture. I don't think 22 matches is enough to keep interest going in the league, and 33 will be a stretch based on current thinking on clashes with the other codes, ACL matches etc.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RedAndWhitePride said:

Also, did have to lol at the front page of today's Geelong Addy, with Luke DeVere photoshopped into a Geelong Cats inspired jersey, whilst tackling Tim Cahill of Melbourne 'United'. 😂

But still, great to see it being well supported by the local rag nonetheless. 

That's the sort of start I'd expect from Geelong. Augers well.

8 hours ago, RedAndWhitePride said:

As someone has already stated on another forum, the quietness of the Geelong bid may suggest that they know it's in the bag,

or they could just be waiting for the criteria to be released before they expend more time and effort, like the FFA has asked people to do

3 hours ago, ecguymer said:

or they could just be waiting for the criteria to be released before they expend more time and effort, like the FFA has asked people to do

That's always a possibility too, but my point is that they might not feel the need to kick up a big media storm ala South Melbourne because they may have more assurance from the FFA. 

The fact that they've already had meetings with the FFA well before any of this expansion talk really came to a head shows that there's clearly something in the works.  

Guess we'll all just have to see what happens. 

Edited by RedAndWhitePride

15 hours ago, jw1739 said:

So we can look forward to the criteria to be announced in February 2017 to be structured so that only two bids can be successful?

I'm also interested in what the fixture is going to look like and how much thought has been put into that. 12 clubs means either 22 or 33 matches, or an AFL-type lop-sided fixture. I don't think 22 matches is enough to keep interest going in the league, and 33 will be a stretch based on current thinking on clashes with the other codes, ACL matches etc.

That's the way private enterprise works. You try and and get the client to produce specs based around your product/service - then it is almost in the bag.