Melbourne Football

A-league expansion

Pigeon

1 hour ago, malloy said:

Lol. Some one has had a little assistance.

Don't know what you're on about mate, i have an excellent memory so theirs no surprise i remember what the infamous R-Kop was ;)

25 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Ffs had to get rid of @kingofhearts profile pic because I was going into threads to read what Cad said and then realised it's old mate instead.

I can't believe the amount of fascism going on here, hopefully my new profile picture will suffice 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cadete said:

Did it also take you four hours to come with this quality post like it did for you to research your original reply to the R-KOP question?

So, without any research, what's the origin of the word "kop", why is it used at various sports grounds, and for which ground was it first used?

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

So, without any research, what's the origin of the word "kop", why is it used at various sports grounds, and for which ground was it first used?

the word Kop is derived from Koppies which is an Afrikaans word meaning "hill" or "slope"

In the Boer War there was a battle ( one of many) that took place at Spion Koppie. If my memory serves me correctly, the regiment of British soldiers that fought there contained many Liverpudlians , The reason it is used at at football grounds is the slope or bank behind the goals "we stand at the Kop end "

I think i was Anfield where it was first used , See above for the battle of Spion Kop etc

It's good to have a wife of Afrikaaner background, she hammered all those different words into me

Where's my Green line !!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cadete said:

Did it also take you four hours to come with this quality post like it did for you to research your original reply to the R-KOP question?

I'm pretty sure that four hour research is more research then you have ever put into any 'claims' you have made on here

Didn't I call you a racist? Wrong

Didn't you say wsw weren't going to be a success? Wrong

Maybe if you put some research into what you say instead of constantly giving your Ill-informed opinion we could have a constructive debate on here instead of restoring to a slandering match between us?

Edit: And fwiw my 'four hour' supposed research period was myself being busy at work. My phone number is 0420162003, so just in case next time you post something and I don't respond to it in ample time, feel free to send me a text, and I'll hop on just for you ok?

All the best

The king

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

I'm pretty sure that four hour research is more research then you have ever put into any 'claims' you have made on here

Didn't I call you a racist? Wrong

Didn't you say wsw weren't going to be a success? Wrong

Maybe if you put some research into what you say instead of constantly giving your Ill-informed opinion we could have a constructive debate on here instead of restoring to a slandering match between us?

Edit: And fwiw my 'four hour' supposed research period was myself being busy at work. My phone number is 0420162003, so just in case next time you post something and I don't respond to it in ample time, feel free to send me a text, and I'll hop on just for you ok?

All the best

The king

Can we have a thread dedicated purely to a king vs det argument please? This is the best

18 hours ago, japiedog said:

the word Kop is derived from Koppies which is an Afrikaans word meaning "hill" or "slope"

In the Boer War there was a battle ( one of many) that took place at Spion Koppie. If my memory serves me correctly, the regiment of British soldiers that fought there contained many Liverpudlians , The reason it is used at at football grounds is the slope or bank behind the goals "we stand at the Kop end "

I think i was Anfield where it was first used , See above for the battle of Spion Kop etc

It's good to have a wife of Afrikaaner background, she hammered all those different words into me

Where's my Green line !!!

Almost a pass. Yes, it's derived from Spion Kop, but the story I have is that it was so-called because the steep single-tier terraces and stands used for spectators at football grounds reminded the commentator of the profile of the hill where the battle took place. But unfortunately the word was first used to describe the 1904 stand at the Manor Ground, Plumstead, South London, home of Woolwich Arsenal. Of course Liverpool is the famous one.

Given that we won last night I'm in generous mood, so I think worthy of the green line!

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

On 29/10/2016 at 9:59 AM, jw1739 said:

Almost a pass. Yes, it's derived from Spion Kop, but the story I have is that it was so-called because the steep single-tier terraces and stands used for spectators at football grounds reminded the commentator of the profile of the hill where the battle took place. But unfortunately the word was first used to describe the 1904 stand at the Manor Ground, Plumstead, South London, home of Woolwich Arsenal. Of course Liverpool is the famous one.

Given that we won last night I'm in generous mood, so I think worthy of the green line!

Ah yes SOUTH London. 

@Pete Heartspur

2 hours ago, cadete said:

It is the legit saddest thing anyone has done of this Forum for a couple of years that is for sure... 

I was tempted to use my mod powers to remove it, but then thought there's no way someone would be daft enough to put their phone number on a public forum.

But tbh you probably deserve anything you get if you're doing that sort of retarded shit.

• Like 1

Some interesting comments here.
http://www.a-league.com.au/article/head-of-hyundai-a-league-tackles-the-big-questions/o0j91su89w2q1ke7ylfz554ay
I'm a bit uncomfortable with the emphasis on attracting more TV viewers. I'd much rather see the focus on increasing attendances. I don't think that TV audiences want to look at rows and rows of empty seats, whatever the structure of the competition or the quality of the football.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Some interesting comments here.
http://www.a-league.com.au/article/head-of-hyundai-a-league-tackles-the-big-questions/o0j91su89w2q1ke7ylfz554ay
I'm a bit uncomfortable with the emphasis on attracting more TV viewers. I'd much rather see the focus on increasing attendances. I don't think that TV audiences want to look at rows and rows of empty seats, whatever the structure of the competition or the quality of the football.

Pretty insightful interview, he seems like a much better person to have in charge than de Bohun at the very least anyway. 

I interpreted his comment on increasing TV and telco viewership as more of an accessibility thing rather than their strategic direction, the A-League's still very much in its infancy and still has a lot of work to do to fully establish itself in the crowded Australian sporting market.

I really liked his comment regarding expansion because unlike Gallop, he hasn't completely disregarded regional areas (e.g. Wollongong, Canberra, Tasmania) but has still challenged them to present really outstanding proposals so we don't get a North Queensland/Gold Coast repeat. 

• Like 2

On 07/11/2016 at 6:13 PM, HeartinHobart said:

I doubt it. The fact that the 2 major backers are both former Victory shareholders it makes it a lot less desirable to me! 

They tried to buy south Melbourne In the NSL days and were told to get lost.

I'm more recent years one of the 2 had plans to take control of the clubs juniors and take them to victory to create victory juniors. Which would have been a scum move.

they have heaps of money though so that won't be an issue, not a fan of either of them though and questionable whether they would be in it for the long haul. Apparently stamoulis owns one of melbournes 2 major Greek newspapers, one of the reasons we couldn't gain traction with the Greek community was that apparently his newspaper would deny our existence, just pages and pages of victory stuff according to a mate of mine. When we would beat them in derbies he would put the score in a little paragraph tucked away in the middle pages lol. When victory would win they would get multi page spreads.

wonder what his rag will look like if he gets Tasmania over the line lol.

Edited by Geo400

On 06/11/2016 at 7:26 PM, Tesla said:

There seems to be a lot of "Australia & NZ" coming out of those in charge of the A-League recently.

I'd be surprised if one of the next two teams isnt Auckland tbh.

Thoughts?

gone from wanting to kick out the kiwis to breeding teams over there. I guess they are thinking 2 teams might give them more traction and succeed commercially where 1 team had struggled?

Certainly Auckland is where the people are. I imagine football NZ would be very keen 

50 minutes ago, HeartinHobart said:

On what bases? 

Insufficient support on all fronts to make the venture viable in the longer term. It's not just a matter of plonking an franchise down somewhere and expecting it to be successful - I would have thought FFA would have learned that lesson by now. Problem is that FFA and Gallop flip-flop on this issue on a regular basis. IIRC the latest I've seen from him was that any expansion needed to be focussed on centres with at least 1m population. Tassie just doesn't qualify.

4 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

I really don't know what else Woolongong can do to get a team. Every game played there gets big crowds, even for state league games, they have a great stadium, they have a decent population. Just needs to happen.

You know they'll do some retarded shit and try make it a South Sydney team as well :droy: