Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Melling, Murdocca, Germano and Archibald have all been defensive midfielders across the past year. The way our system was structured last year, Mooy would also be played in a more defensive role, Kalmar too. We don't need to add to that number for the sake of quality, we need to plug other, much more gaping holes.

Melling, Murdocca, Germano and Archibald have all been defensive midfielders across the past year. The way our system was structured last year, Mooy would also be played in a more defensive role, Kalmar too. We don't need to add to that number for the sake of quality, we need to plug other, much more gaping holes.

Hoff will plug any gap

Parrot, on 30 May 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

We should aim for an Australian Marquee who is NOT nearing the end of his career. We have the money.

Players that come to mind are Robbie Kruse and Tommy Oar.

bt50: You are dreaming if you think either of those will come back to aus, money will be irrelevant

My reply: Spiranovic, a certain starter, has signed on for 2 years as Western Sydney's Australian marquee instead of going back overseas. I am NOT dreaming at all. I am NOT dreaming. An Australian Marquee is basically a player whose pay would make it difficult/impossible to fit the rest of the squad under the FFA mandated pathetically low, paltry salary cap. Every player has their price. Once we accept that Socceroo regulars in the prime of their careers can play both overseas and in the A League, then it is no pipe dream to want an outstanding Socceroo as a Marquee instead of an ageing Socceroo on the way down looking to play at home while still getting very well paid before retiring.

I'll also add to my list James Troisi, who had an outstanding season with Victory.

Troisi was on loan and Spiranovic had come from the middle east. Completely different to Kruse and Oar who are actively playing and developing themselves at the absolute top level.

Comparing Troisi and Spiranovic to Kruse and Oar, is like comparing the good "Group Two Horses" who make up the numbers in a Group One race to the class "Group One Performers" who will actually determine the race's outcome.

Kennedy IMO is the perfect use of the Australian Marquee spot.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

Parrot, on 30 May 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

We should aim for an Australian Marquee who is NOT nearing the end of his career. We have the money.

Players that come to mind are Robbie Kruse and Tommy Oar.

bt50: You are dreaming if you think either of those will come back to aus, money will be irrelevant

My reply: Spiranovic, a certain starter, has signed on for 2 years as Western Sydney's Australian marquee instead of going back overseas. I am NOT dreaming at all. I am NOT dreaming. An Australian Marquee is basically a player whose pay would make it difficult/impossible to fit the rest of the squad under the FFA mandated pathetically low, paltry salary cap. Every player has their price. Once we accept that Socceroo regulars in the prime of their careers can play both overseas and in the A League, then it is no pipe dream to want an outstanding Socceroo as a Marquee instead of an ageing Socceroo on the way down looking to play at home while still getting very well paid before retiring.

I'll also add to my list James Troisi, who had an outstanding season with Victory.

Spiranovic was thoroughly injury prone tho before he came back - no-one ever doubted the talent just seen by many as too risky.  why else do you think he tried his luck in the Middle East.

same could be said of Richard Garcia before he came back.  certainly had the talent given his ability to get an EPL contract with Hull.

Neither Oar or Kruse are the injury prone type. 

Reports that the David Villa move to NYCFC is happening, including from Marca. It's being reported that the signing will be announced Sunday or Monday: 

New York City FC set to officially confirm the signing of David Villa next week

Tom Conn

May 30, 2014

MLS’ newest expansion side, New York City FC will officially announce the signing of Atletico Madrid and Spanish international striker, David Villa this coming Sunday or Monday.

The news of Villa’s arrival to New York was broken by Spanish radio station, Cadena COPE’s ‘El Partido de las 12′ on Wednesday, Villa’s current contract with the La Liga champions will expire on 30th June and while the Spanish international has an option to renew for another year, he will forgo that option and make a move to the United States.

Villa joined Atletico Madrid from Barcelona last summer, but was originally brought to Barcelona from Valencia by current Manchester City directors Txiki Bergiristain and Ferran Soriano, who have convinced Spain’s all-time leading scorer to become the face of their new franchise in their inaugural season, while going on back to Atletico Madrid on loan for the first part of the season to keep his form before the MLS season begins in March 2015.

Sources close to ISF have confirmed that Major League Soccer have begun a massive marketing campaign to welcome David Villa to New York City FC, including mass production of his official shirt.

Our source also states that the two sides have been working on the deal for over a year and that the official announcement will come this coming Sunday or Monday.

Villa will fly in with the Spanish national team to be presented by NYC FC before joining his teammates as they prepare for their 7th June friendly against El Salvador at FedEX Field in Washington DC.

http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/110522/new-york-city-fc-set-to-officially-confirm-the-signing-of-david-villa-next-week/

Also, Lampard has said: "I don't know if I'll be at Chelsea next season. I'd like to carry on for two or three more years but it would be good to end on a high" (http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/311521.html). And Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport has reported he's weighing up a move to either La Galaxy now, or NYCFC next season (here), with follow up info from Gazzetta reporters suggesting that Lampard is likely to end up at NYCFC (here and here).

That would be 2 of the 3 players that NYCFC are allowed under the Designated Player Rule (nicknamed the Beckham Rule). It would be amazing if either one was to be a guest player at Heart for 10 games, although I'd personally prefer a midfielder like Lampard.

A fair bit of buzz around these marquees, and I reckon we'll hear things soon enough. Hopefully things are progressing with Heart's marquees as well.

A-League could be next move: Kennedy

Angela Habashy, AAP

May 30, 2014

About to embark on a third World Cup campaign Socceroos striker Josh Kennedy says his next move could be to the A-League.

The veteran forward is off contract in December from Japanese club Nagoya Grampus, where he's been since 2009.

He's been linked to a move to Melbourne Heart and says a return to Australia could be on the cards.

"Possibly," Kennedy said when asked about the prospect of returning to play in Australia.

"I hadn't really thought about it too much until maybe a couple of months ago but we'll see what happens."

Back in 2010 Kennedy was quoted as saying he'd like to play for an A-League club in Melbourne, where his wife is from, before he gets too old.

Now 31 and a free agent by the time the January transfer window comes around, the timing couldn't be better.

Kennedy wouldn't reveal if he'd had any approaches but would no doubt be highly sought after if he were to declare his interest.

"I haven't officially said that I would or wouldn't," he said.

"I've read newspapers that you guys have probably written so you probably know more than me."

For now however, Kennedy is solely focused on the World Cup with two weeks before Australia kick off their campaign against Chile on June 13 before facing the Netherlands and Spain.

Once again sporting his well-known long locks, the man nicknamed Jesus was asked if he grew his hair in the hope of divine intervention in Brazil: "Every little bit helps I guess," he joked.

Divine intervention or not, Kennedy says confidence is growing in the squad every day and should they adhere to coach Ange Postecoglou's plan they could stun their opponents.

"We're slowly getting it into our head that on the day if we rise to the challenge and do the things Ange is trying to do with us, there's no reason we can't cause some problems and make an upset," he said.

"That's the belief that everyone is starting to get in them."

The Socceroos will have two warm up matches next week, one against a Brazilian club side on Monday and the other against Croatia next Friday.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/23993061/a-league-could-be-next-move-kennedy/

Should maybe get his own thread now, our no 1 Australian target:

Socceroos striker Josh Kennedy could be headed home for Melbourne Heart after World Cup

DAVID DAVUTOVIC IN VITORIA

MAY 30, 2014

SOCCEROOS striker Josh Kennedy gave his strongest hint yet that he may become Melbourne Heart’s first marquee signing, admitting an A-League return was possible.

Kennedy and the Socceroos squad conducted their first training session in Vitoria on Friday night Australian time after recovering from the 22-hour, two-stop journey.

Like several World Cup teammates, Kennedy is weighing up his future with cashed-up Heart identifying the Nagoya Grampus forward as their no. 1 Australia target.

Sydney FC and Western Sydney Wanderers are among the other clubs also looking for an Australian marquee, but Melbourne looms as Kennedy’s likeliest destination with his family recently relocating there from overseas.

Kennedy, 31, is contracted to the Japanese club until December so he may need to see out the J. League season if any deal was reached.

“Yeah possibly, I hadn’t thought about it too much up until a couple of months ago but we’ll see what happens,’’ Kennedy said when asked if an A-League return was on the cards.

“I haven’t officially said I would or I wouldn’t, we’ll see what happens after this.

“I’m taking it a step at a time and that first step is the next four-to-six weeks ere, concentrating on the World Cup and after that returning to Japan and we’ll see what happens.

“I’ve read newspapers, so you guys probably know more than me.’’

Kennedy said a gameplay overhaul could take time to adjust to but felt the next fortnight was crucial.

Coach Ange Postecoglou was locked away in meetings with assistants Ante Milicic, Aurelio Vidmar and conditioning guru Peter Cklamovski while the players did recovery, ahead of the first session.

With Postecoglou claiming fatigue had played a part in last Monday’s lacklustre performance against South Africa, Kennedy said there were similarities to Guus Hiddink’s intense regime of 2006.

“Guus did (smash us). He definitely didn’t muck around back then and from my point of view it’s understandable that we got a bit tired,’’ he said.

“The intensity’s high and everybody’s been vying for positions, so once the games get closer training won’t be as long or intense.

“If the players aren’t switched on and (don’t) take things on board that Ange has to say then it’s going to be very difficult.’’ he said.

“But so far in training and we tried our best in the Sydney game and we’ll slowly get it into us and we’ve got two weeks to really get it under control and play the way we want to.

“Back on the pitch tomorrow and we’ve got the friendly game on June 2, which is not too far away. So hopefully we can adjust to the timezone as quickly as possible and get back into 100 per cent training.

“Everybody’s happy to finally be here. There were a few distractions in Sydney with a lot of media and commitments outside of playing the game.

“We’ve got two weeks before the games start and two (friendly) games so that’s good preparation on and off the pitch.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/socceroos-striker-josh-kennedy-could-be-headed-home-for-melbourne-heart-after-world-cup/story-fni2wcjl-1226937648953

Spain international and World Cup winner David Villa could play for Melbourne Heart in A-League

MATT WINDLEY

MAY 30, 2014

SPANISH World Cup winner David Villa could make a shock appearance for Melbourne Heart next season in what would be the biggest signing in the A-League’s history.

But if he does come to Melbourne on a guest stint he is likely to be wearing the red and white stripes he wore at Atletico Madrid this season rather than the sky blue of Heart’s new owners Manchester City, after Football Federation Australia blocked the club’s attempts to change colours.

Spanish media reports have linked Villa, 32, to a three-year deal for Heart’s sister club, New York City FC, in the MLS.

But with the American season not kicking off until March, Villa could be loaned to Heart as a guest player for up to 10 games so he can keep match fit.

Signing a megastar such as Villa to a short-term deal — in which his wages would fall outside the salary cap — would be one of the most effective ways for the multi-million dollar City Group empire to make a splash in Melbourne.

The striker has scored 56 goals in 94 games for Spain, including eight in World Cup finals matches, and may line up for his country against the Socceroos in Sao Paulo, Brazil, on June 24.

Villa scored 15 goals in 47 games for La Liga winners Atletico Madrid in 2013-14, his first season since crossing from Barcelona, where scored in the club’s 3-1 European Champions League final win over Manchester United in 2011, won two La Liga titles and a Club World Cup.

A Heart spokesman said the club had six spots left to fill on its roster for 2014-15 and was “excited at the prospect” of its squad formation.

“The club has the opportunity to sign a further three VISA players,” the spokesman said.

“In addition the rules allow for a guest player for up to 10 games of the season. With all of this in mind, the club will look to build the strongest squad possible for the forthcoming season.”

A guest player from New York could play in Melbourne from as early as Round 1 (October), but would likely return to the US by the time the A-League goes in to recess for January’s Asian Cup.

Guest signings are not new to the A-League.

Most notably, Adelaide signed Brazilian legend Romario on a four-match deal in 2006.

Heart, which is expected to be rebranded as Melbourne City, had sought to change the colours of its home strip to sky blue in line with parent club Manchester City.

But Sydney FC, which also wears sky blue, objected and its case was upheld by FFA and an independent arbitrator this week.

It is understood Heart may still be able to incorporate sky blue in to its away strip.

It enlisted the services of Sydney-based senior counsel Garry Hatcher to represent it at a grievance hearing in Sydney.

He declined to comment when contacted by the Herald Sun yesterday, but Heart said in a statement: “The club remains in constructive discussions with the FFA on a range of matters relating to its future plans, including its playing strips.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/spain-international-and-world-cup-winner-david-villa-could-play-for-melbourne-heart-in-aleague/story-fnii0fc3-1226937746363

Edited by Murfy1

Annoying to see it mentioned in the Davutovic article on Joshua Kennedy that Kennedy might need to see out the J-League season before he joins Melbourne Heart (pretty surprising as well, as I would have thought that City could buy Kennedy from his J-League club, given that he'll only have half a season left on his contract after the World Cup).

The current J-League season will finish on December 6, so Kennedy would miss about 9 A-League matches if he were to play out the J-League season before joining Heart.

Signing David Villa as a guest player for 10 games could be the perfect solution, if Heart can only sign Kennedy after he's finished with his J-League club. That would be best if Heart can't sign Kennedy immediately IMO, so maybe a situation like that could unfold. 

Ray Gatt's also reported the Kennedy story, and he provides a little bit more context here: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/jesus-josh-kennedy-eyes-aleague-swansong/story-fn63e0vj-1226937768627#

What's interesting about Kennedy saying regarding an A-League move “Yeah, it is a possibility” and “I had not thought about it too much until a few months ago"s is that reports of Kennedy being linked with Heart first surfaced a few months ago. It sounds like he was receptive to the idea when contacted by Heart, although it sounds like a little more work has to be done before it's a done deal as well (that, or Kennedy is being coy, and isn't revealing how close he is to coming to the A-League).

I'm pretty hopeful that Melbourne Heart will land Kennedy (his family relocating here is a key reason why I'm so hopeful), and I reckon he could be the best Australian marquee that the A-League's ever seen.

Edited by Murfy1

Win those 10 games with Villa and we are in the finals for next season already haha

And see what happens once Villa stops playing. It's like a team having their super star injured for most of the season.

I want us to have a team of players who have signed for the season, not paltry 10 game exhibition players.  How does that develop team unity, team loyalty and cohesion?

It's like a circus.  

Edited by Parrot

I see no issue with a 10 match guest player, through City Group. The benefits far outway the dis benefits in a Salary capped league, with squad limitions that often result in squad depth being impacted after one or two injuries. I cant see why people would complain about this calibre of player ...

• Like 1

If we do (which would change the entire landscape) get Villa on a 10 get stint. Could we use him for 6 or 7 matches. Then hopefully bring him back for 3 or so final games if we make it?

Doesn't work like that, the ten games are from when the contract is signed. So signing for the first half of the season is the most plausable outcome so he can return to the USA and be around his actual team. He might continue training with us after the 10 games to stay fit but that's about it.

Win those 10 games with Villa and we are in the finals for next season already haha

And see what happens once Villa stops playing. It's like a team having their super star injured for most of the season.

I want us to have a team of players who have signed for the season, not paltry 10 game exhibition players.  How does that develop team unity, team loyalty and cohesion?

It's like a circus.  

Players come in and out of a team all the time due to injury so I don't see what's wrong with a ten game stint. Especially if it's Villa... 

If it helps you could think of him as a season player who gets injured at training after the tenth game and is ruled out for the rest of the season... 

Or what about ENgelaar. Imagine instead of marquee he was just here on a ten game stint at the end of the season. Would you say no? 

Edited by Alexxandro

I see no issue with a 10 match guest player, through City Group. The benefits far outway the dis benefits in a Salary capped league, with squad limitions that often result in squad depth being impacted after one or two injuries. I cant see why people would complain about this calibre of player ...

Agree. It's just a short-term contract, but outside the cap. Goodness me, we've already used plenty of short-term contracts in our four seasons.

Edited by jw1739

If someone said 6 months ago that David villa would be playing ten games with us in the red and white strip the reaction on here would be one of complete amazement and excitement, and not the negative bullshit that's being spewed up by some on here at the moment.

• Like 2