Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

I just wonder how good Kennedy really is and how much he's got to offer us at the age of 32.

You're kidding aren't you? He is the best target man Australia has produced since Viduka and he is handy with his feet as well. He has scored at will over the years in the J-League and we are never going to get someone of his quality in his prime at 25. I agree that 30 would have been better than 32 but we can only sign these guys when they want to come home. 

I just wonder how good Kennedy really is and how much he's got to offer us at the age of 32.

You're kidding aren't you? He is the best target man Australia has produced since Viduka and he is handy with his feet as well. He has scored at will over the years in the J-League and we are never going to get someone of his quality in his prime at 25. I agree that 30 would have been better than 32 but we can only sign these guys when they want to come home. 

It was a genuine question. I've only seen him play once, against Qatar in 2008. Pretty much since then he's been a tall man in the J-League. Just wondering, that's all.

He also has chronic back issues, knee issues and as a result, has spent a huge amount of time out of the squad, and on the bench. He has been used sparingly in the national set up for these reasons too. 

Over the last two J-League seasons, his goal scoring has been limited to penalties and tap in. This is fine, but if we sign him, surely we would want a striker with more than penalties and tap ins. Particularly for a marquee contract. 

The icing is, that late last year, around the time of qualifiers, Kennedy himself told his brother in law, a local barkeep at the time, that he wasn't sure if he would be playing on after the world cup, if he made it at all. He acknowledges that he is nowhere near as good as he was and has serious injury issues. 

Its an extremely fair point from JW. To me, it makes Bresciano a far more attractive Aussie Marquee, so that the International Marquee goes to a top quality striker. 

• Like 1

It was a genuine question. I've only seen him play once, against Qatar in 2008. Pretty much since then he's been a tall man in the J-League. Just wondering, that's all.

Yeah, fair enough... There just seem to be a lot of JK haters on this page without a lot of cause in my opinion. He has had some injuries which is more an issue than anything probably.

Yeah, fair enough... There just seem to be a lot of JK haters on this page without a lot of cause in my opinion. He has had some injuries which is more an issue than anything probably.

He also has chronic back issues, knee issues and as a result, has spent a huge amount of time out of the squad, and on the bench. He has been used sparingly in the national set up for these reasons too. 

Over the last two J-League seasons, his goal scoring has been limited to penalties and tap in. This is fine, but if we sign him, surely we would want a striker with more than penalties and tap ins. Particularly for a marquee contract. 

The icing is, that late last year, around the time of qualifiers, Kennedy himself told his brother in law, a local barkeep at the time, that he wasn't sure if he would be playing on after the world cup, if he made it at all. He acknowledges that he is nowhere near as good as he was and has serious injury issues. 

Its an extremely fair point from JW. To me, it makes Bresciano a far more attractive Aussie Marquee, so that the International Marquee goes to a top quality striker. 

Where are these top quality strikers you speak of? Who of these is going to come to the A-league before they are 34 or 35? Heskey? Fowler? Del Piero? Yorke?  Apart from Berisha and Smeltz who are the in their prime top quality number 9's in the A-League that aren't Australian? I agree his injuries are a concern as are Bresciano's to be honest but I still think he would/will be a quality addition to the squad.

Where are these top quality strikers you speak of? Who of these is going to come to the A-league before they are 34 or 35? Heskey? Fowler? Del Piero? Yorke?  Apart from Berisha and Smeltz who are the in their prime top quality number 9's in the A-League that aren't Australian? I agree his injuries are a concern as are Bresciano's to be honest but I still think he would/will be a quality addition to the squad.

What we know is that the new owners are willing to offer $56,000 a week to lure a player from the EPL. That amount of money could be applied to a number of strikers around the world that are on the list of the 36 scouts we now have at our disposal. 

Who I consider to be top quality is subjective and not a good criteria to recruit upon. But I consider we should be looking at guys like Leroy Lita or Samuel Eto'o. If you put Josip Tadic in Brisbane Roar, WSW or even our squad now, I would think he would show far more than he did. And let's be fair, for the right amount of money, anyone will come to the A-League. 

It is true that there has not been a great deal of quality international strikers in the League, but that doesn't mean you sign Kennedy on that basis. 

These guys are both, or at least have been, quality players. With a limited squad, I would like to see a marquee in full flight. Age doesn't bother me, but fitness and ability does.

A marquee is simply someone outside the salary cap. There are millions of footballers in the world. Surely we can land one who shines?

You guys have been on this forum long enough to know that anything that comes from HeartFC is not to be believed.

He's a shit stirrer and occasionally likes to make things up for his own amusement! He's good value, but he loves his rumours. Nothing is confirmed about JK, this all stems back from HeartFCs comment on the previous page  ;)

You guys have been on this forum long enough to know that anything that comes from HeartFC is not to be believed.

He's a shit stirrer and occasionally likes to make things up for his own amusement! He's good value, but he loves his rumours. Nothing is confirmed about JK, this all stems back from HeartFCs comment on the previous page  ;)

That's true. But Sharpy gave us the news first. It's a done deal as far as I'm concerned. Welcome to Melbourne JK.

• Like 1

http://www.transfermarkt.com/statistik/endendevertraege

Our marquee will more than likely come from this list. Take your pick.

2 from that list that stand out for me are Kris Commons (if he doesn't re-sign for Celtic) and Urby Emanuelson.

Joe Cole would be an excellent marquee IMO. He's a class attacking midfielder, and he's a fine age at 32, so he'd at least give 3-4 quality seasons in the A-League. I've never heard of Joe Cole having much of an ego. Also, his injury history history is overblown, as he's been pretty fit each year since 2009. And in the A-League, with only 27 season games (only 1 match a week), his fitness wouldn't be an issue.

Some free agents who would be very good marquees are:
- Diego Ribas
- Jordi Gomez
- Aaron Hunt
- Manuel Fernandes
- Tiago Mendes
- Frank Lampard

Players with contracts expiring next season (2014/15) who would be very good marquees are:
- Van der Vaart
- Ibrahim Afellay
- Alberto Aquilani
- Cristian Baroni
- Bryan Ruiz (can play as a second striker or an attacking midfielder)
- Ever Banega
- Lasse Schone
- Siem de Jong
- Kim Kallstrom

I've got a feeling though that the marquee will probably be a free agent, as players who are free agents are generally more open to moves to places like America and Australia (every A-League marquee, for example, moved to the A-League on a free transfer).

I'm just about out of ideas for an international marquee. Would be very pleased with 1 of the above, and IMO the club have no excuse not to sign an outstanding international marquee for next season with the options that are out there.
Edited by Murfy1

"every A-League marquee, for example, moved to the A-League on a free transfer."

Folks seem to dismiss the phenomenal riches of our new owners, so we do not need to do what every other A League club has done in the past.

We now have the ability to easily pay transfer fees for our marquees.

It's just a matter of whether our owners choose to go that way in making a big statement of intent with the signing of our new marquees.

Cole would be good in the HAL but I would much rather have Engelaar. He has half a season behind him and doesn't seem to have the ego of Cole.

Plus Cole would cost much more (I get it we are rich, but why waste money)

Ego? Cole has always come across as hard working, keep his mouth shut kinda guy to me Edited by malloy
  • Like 1

Players with contracts expiring next season (2014/15) who would be very good marquees are:

- Van der Vaart
- Ibrahim Afellay
- Alberto Aquilani
- Cristian Baroni
- Bryan Ruiz (can play as a second striker or an attacking midfielder)
- Ever Banega
- Lasse Schone
- Siem de Jong
- Kim Kallstrom

:redcard: