Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

I never used a reference to crowds in the 90's.

All im saying is crowds do fluctuate in the AFL depending on how sides are going. That's why I made the reference to the Demons Kangaroos game saying if they were in the top half of the ladder a much more significant crowd then just 16000 would have been their.

The original discussion point was the "cactus" saying crowds half when teams are going bad and "Morphine" saying it couldn't be further from the truth.

All I'm saying is though I don't think a teams attendances halve, definitely not. But there is some fluctuation when performances and results aren't going to plan

There's a minimal effect sure. Conversation's already been had, but I stand by my rebuttal that AFL attendance figures categorically do not halve in size based on form.

Angelos Charisteas left Al Nassr a few weeks ago. He played in the Eredivisie for 3 years at Ajax and Feyenoord, and played in the Bundlesliga for several years. He's an iconic striker for the Greek national team and he's only 33. He also hasn't had many injuries. 

Overall, a good pedigree and age. Could be a good striker, and maybe something of a crowd bringer.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

Yes yes yes!!! Charisteas, plays for Greece! Our attendance would triple at least. Would be the best Greek to ever play here. Greece FC FTW.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but Charisteas would be a great get for the club, Greek or not.

• Like 1

Make the post re:AFL crowd numbers directly relate to the topic or go and start a new thread to discuss it. This thread is about the pursuit of signing a prospective marquee for MHFC.

Back on topic please chaps.

Sounds like a more interesting thread to me. :up:

Anyway back on topic: What about Raul???

• Like 1

Make the post re:AFL crowd numbers directly relate to the topic or go and start a new thread to discuss it. This thread is about the pursuit of signing a prospective marquee for MHFC.

retired yesterday. 

http://gulfnews.com/sport/football/schalke-romp-past-al-sadd-in-raul-farewell-1.1214296

Edited by Tbitm

retired yesterday. 

http://gulfnews.com/sport/football/schalke-romp-past-al-sadd-in-raul-farewell-1.1214296

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  :(

Would take charisteas as a visa player. Our marque players needs to be a player maker. Someone who can hold the ball a give a killer pass. It's what we lacked last season.

A player maker? Pretty sure our boys do need help picking up and shit.

They couldn't score last season

• Like 1

Angelos Charisteas left Al Nassr a few weeks ago. He played in the Eredivisie for 3 years at Ajax and Feyenoord, and played in the Bundlesliga for several years. He's an iconic striker for the Greek national team and he's only 33. He also hasn't had many injuries. 

Overall, a good pedigree and age. Could be a good striker, and maybe something of a crowd bringer.

I honestly think we can pick him up in the cap, Would be a great signing, he is the next back up of karagounis

58 pages on the topic of marquee and there's no real indication that we're even intending to sign one...I'm not sure which is worse, coming 9th in the league or the off-season that follows.

Could be worse, the mongs have a 950+ page topic about Kewell and he plays for us.

Post of the day

I read this thread every day and I'm still not quite sure who we are after. Does anyone have any idea of realistic targets? Heart have been keeping their cards close to their chest, which isn't a bad thing, but I can't remember Aloisi saying 'we are after XYZ' or 'ABC is close to making a decision'. 

I'm assuming Holt and Karagounis aren't signing, so who are we even after? It's frustrating.

I read this thread every day and I'm still not quite sure who we are after. Does anyone have any idea of realistic targets? Heart have been keeping their cards close to there chest, which isn't a bad thing, but I can't remember Aloisi saying 'we are after XYZ' or 'ABC is close to making a decision'.

I'm assuming Holt and Karagounis aren't signing, so who are we even after? It's frustrating.

I think we've given up the idea of getting a marquee for this season mate. Holt was obviously our first choice marquee and when we striked out on him our half assed approach to karagounis didn't work either. I don't neccasarily think thats bad thing though. It will be interesting to see what out plan b is, I think if we make 2 more good signings we can be really competitive.

He didn't mention a marquee specifically but in an interview today JA said that we were close to signing a foreign DM.

Take it with a grain of salt though 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDNfXk1JWsM#at=312

I've just listened to that in full and IMO that's very positive stuff about the DM and striker positions. Sounds pretty clear they're going to be imports. JA also gave some fair hints about playing Mate and Golly as our wingers and HK at no. 10. Sounds like Wielaert is a strong candidate for captain.

• Like 1

so a club in Australia has made a bid for Tommaso Rocchi, but probably will go to UAE.

Of foreign interest, Rocchi said: “I don’t confirm or deny it. Negotiations are under the table. These [Dubai and Malaysia] are the situations that have come out, such as Australia, but I will make an assessment for myself and calmly.

“Before giving the okay, I have to really think. It would mean giving up this level of football, but would also offer experience and the chance to make a reputation in a different land.”

http://gulfnews.com/sport/football/dubai-could-find-room-for-tommaso-rocchi-1.1215354

• Like 1

Rocchi would be terrific... makes sense hat we go for an Italian after ADP has forged the way. I'm guessing he would be our marquee then - not the DM?

it wouldn't surprise me if victory are the ones going for him, or if we both are. Remember they are in search of a marquee striker and just missed out on miccoli as their marquee striker who also happened to be italian.

Rocchi would be terrific... makes sense hat we go for an Italian after ADP has forged the way. I'm guessing he would be our marquee then - not the DM?

it wouldn't surprise me if victory are the ones going for him, or if we both are. Remember they are in search of a marquee striker and just missed out on miccoli as their marquee striker who also happened to be italian.

Good point...

Good point...

Yeah and now apparently an MLS team is interested. I think it's gonna be a tough player to buy. We won't be able to offer the most, and now we don't even have being the only civilized country on our side. Hopefully ADP puts in a good word for the A-League, apparently he did the same for Karagounis when we were interested in him.

My take on the Aloisi interview was that we have our DM target identified and that we are towards the end of the negotiation phase and are more than 50% likely to make a signing there.

Then JA indicates that once the DM is tied up we will turn our focus on the striker, and he says something like "we have a number of options there" or words to that effect. Again my impression is that we are confident we can land one of them.

If the above is correct then there won't be room for another foreign player as all five positions will be taken.

My take on the Aloisi interview was that we have our DM target identified and that we are towards the end of the negotiation phase and are more than 50% likely to make a signing there.

Then JA indicates that once the DM is tied up we will turn our focus on the striker, and he says something like "we have a number of options there" or words to that effect. Again my impression is that we are confident we can land one of them.

If the above is correct then there won't be room for another foreign player as all five positions will be taken.

I am wondering if the striker we will try and sign is dependent on the style of DM we obtain or weather JA was purely talking finances?

While I am sure Maycon would be happy to don the red and white for a second spell, I hope we have some control over the striker we get. And if we know what we are after, why are we waiting to sign the DM before tying up a quality striker who, if we wait too long, may well sign for someone else?

Mate at work is a Victory member in there equivalent to the "ace of hearts" and his got a lot of connections, everything he has said to me this off season has happend, and just recently to the point of theo markelis leaving. Victory are into one guy at the moment more than anyone and hat is Berisha.

If Rocchi has spoken to any team in Australia it would be either us or possibly CCM after all there players are leaving, they need more than us.

However if it is us, which I think it is he would be the perfect fit.

Btw just throwing a topic out there, I know he gave us a Salami last season and chose Sydney, but I'd personally take Lucas Neil with open arms, what are your thoughts?