Melbourne Football

Should Matt Thompson be Starting?

kingofhearts

No doubt he gives the ball away way to much but I actually think the worse part of his game is his creativity.. Or lack of it. It's sad really, 18 months he was one of our best. Personally I don't think he has the composure to be a defensive player. Alosis is part to blame here, plays thomo in DM when his 3 times the player when he gets into attacking positions.

No doubt he gives the ball away way to much but I actually think the worse part of his game is his creativity.. Or lack of it. It's sad really, 18 months he was one of our best. Personally I don't think he has the composure to be a defensive player. Alosis is part to blame here, plays thomo in DM when his 3 times the player when he gets into attacking positions.

Exactly. Not sure why we persist playing him in a double pivot midfield. I love the guys effort but he looks desparately out of position so often.

Composure's not the issue; it's his positioning.

Can't fault his work rate, and his versatility is a very large plus.

But he has been progressively declining for the past year, and I can't see that changing any time soon.

Thompson out.

Matt Thompson's three-year contract finishes at the end of this season.

Players coming out of contract are:

Bolton;

Colosimo;

Fred;

Garcia;

Germano;

Hoffman;

Kalmar;

Tadic;

Thompson;

and Meeuwis and Coyne.

Not sure about Dugandzic, but I think he may be out of contract too.

JA and JD have the opportunity to reshape the squad. The question is have they the balls to do so?

• Like 1

Bolton;

Colosimo;

Fred;

Garcia;

Germano;

Hoffman;

Kalmar;

Tadic;

Thompson;

and Meeuwis and Coyne.

JA and JD have the opportunity to reshape the squad. The question is have they the balls to do so?

Colosimo one year

Garcia 2 years

Germano 1 year

Kalmar 1 year

Tadic 1 year

Coyne and Meeuwus to prove themselves

Rest goes

Bolton;

Colosimo;

Fred;

Garcia;

Germano;

Hoffman;

Kalmar;

Tadic;

Thompson;

and Meeuwis and Coyne.

Colosimo one year

Garcia 2 years

Germano 1 year

Kalmar 1 year

Tadic 1 year

Coyne and Meeuwus to prove themselves

Rest goes

You have got to be kidding me sign Colosimo another year??

• Like 1

Granted he is losing his touch and this should be his last season at Heart,

But I think PPL need to accept that JA is going keep on playing Matty Tee for the rest of season because he provides some leadership on the pitch in a team that has very few natural leaders.

And it has been this lack of leadership that has cost us points when playing interstate.

He's a work horse! Yesterday he ran his guts out, he was more mobile and got into better positions than the last two away games. I think Thommo flourishes when he's in attacking mid, not defensive. I'm happy to keep Kalmar in attacking midfield, Germano, Thommo and Meeuwis in defensive mid as long as they're given a bit of freedom to attack more than always turning their back to the goal and playing the ball backwards rather than forwards.

i dont know what game everyone saw yesterday v Sydney. Thompson did not make one tackle, as a DM its a joke. He turned over the ball almost everytime he got it, most of the time hoplessly playing some stupid long ball or crappily switching the play to absolutely no-one. He is our worst player alongside hoffman, meuvwis (granted hes not fit) looked better yesterday in 10 mins than thomspon did in 80 mins. Thompson out!

• Like 3

With the limited size of the squad/bench in the A-League, I don't think Matt Thompson will be going anywhere at the seasons end, let alone now.

He can fill in the midfield as well as centre and left back which is why he rarely gets subbed off regardless of how he is playing.

I have been supportive of Thompson as I think he is great as the box to box midfielder. As a defensive midfielder he is rather poor and I thought yesterday he should have come off.

Hopefully Marcel wil get used to the heat and play a bigger part (some impressive touches yesterday) and Thompson will have more freedom to roam as this is what he does best.

i dont know what game everyone saw yesterday v Sydney. Thompson did not make one tackle, as a DM its a joke. He turned over the ball almost everytime he got it, most of the time hoplessly playing some stupid long ball or crappily switching the play to absolutely no-one. He is our worst player alongside hoffman, meuvwis (granted hes not fit) looked better yesterday in 10 mins than thomspon did in 80 mins. Thompson out!

I def agree with all of this and hopefully Marcel starts next week,

However its quite obv JA can see Matty's mistakes but needs some leaders in the team, our captain does not have the best english whilst our former captain never seemed quite the right fit for the job either.

But I think PPL need to accept that JA is going keep on playing Matty Tee for the rest of season because he provides some leadership on the pitch in a team that has very few natural leaders.

And it has been this lack of leadership that has cost us points when playing interstate.

Sums up my feelings as well

Pretty clear to me Thompson remains on the field all game based purely on his versatility and leadership. Is like having a fourth sub essentially as he can slot into different positions if people go down. Ideally I would have him on the bench with meeuwis starting. Depending on other signings I'd still probably keep him on for another season. In a league with only 3 subs on a bench an experienced player who can potentially fill any one of four or five of the 11 spots is invaluable.

Definitely not a first xi standard player anymore but still think he can do a job.

• Like 2

cadete: 100% correct 99% of the time.