Melbourne Football

Steven Gray Gone

Tranerz21

Read this online before:

Meanwhile Heart yesterday paved the way for a foreign signing by releasing 31-year-old Irish defender Steven Gray, who made just one appearance. Heart is hoping to make a signing prior to the Monday's A-League transfer deadline.

Uncontracted players can be signed at any stage and Munn said the club was hopeful of signing someone who would remain for the 2013-14 campaign.

"It's ongoing, all of the coaching staff is working through it. Ideally we would not sign someone just for eight weeks but next season too," he said.

"It doesn't make any sense to sign a Lucas Neill for eight weeks, especially to fill a hole for an injured player.

"It's easier this time of year to find a foreigner than a domestic player so that's why we've freed up a foreign spot.

"We signed Steven late when we knew we were going to lose Brendan Hamill and Curtis Good and we needed an experienced defender."

Happy it has finally been done and we have a spot open for an international player

• Like 1

Glad we aren't signing Luca$h, and glad that the club has come to its senses regarding Steven Gray. Poor foresight from the club which was really a wasted oppourtunity this year, but i'm happy to see that the club realises its mistakes.

Read this online before:

Meanwhile Heart yesterday paved the way for a foreign signing by releasing 31-year-old Irish defender Steven Gray, who made just one appearance. Heart is hoping to make a signing prior to the Monday's A-League transfer deadline.

Uncontracted players can be signed at any stage and Munn said the club was hopeful of signing someone who would remain for the 2013-14 campaign.

"It's ongoing, all of the coaching staff is working through it. Ideally we would not sign someone just for eight weeks but next season too," he said.

"It doesn't make any sense to sign a Lucas Neill for eight weeks, especially to fill a hole for an injured player.

"It's easier this time of year to find a foreigner than a domestic player so that's why we've freed up a foreign spot.

"We signed Steven late when we knew we were going to lose Brendan Hamill and Curtis Good and we needed an experienced defender."

Happy it has finally been done and we have a spot open for an international player

Reference here: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/heart-hits-out-at-ref-standards/story-fndb5nmd-1226570319601

Haven't come across it yet elsewhere.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/heart-hits-out-at-ref-standards/story-e6frfg8x-1226570319601

another reference from the herald sun in regards to Gray. Seems like we're definitely signing a visa player until the end of next season.

Means we will most likely have Gerhardt, this new signing and Germano signed for next season. Tadic and Fred 50/50 although i would like to see Tadic signed on for one more, i think he'll be better next time around.

i think he'll be better next time around.

dont understand how he can improve?!

neither do i, he is good but not great, lacks pace from what i make of it all, has the skills just cant get the ball in good enough places due to out midfield as much as anything else.

IMO he would be a superstar in a superstar team.

our team is not a superstar one (by A-League standards) so for now, hes doing very well considering the shittyness of our midfield.

i think he'll be better next time around.

dont understand how he can improve?!

neither do i, he is good but not great, lacks pace from what i make of it all, has the skills just cant get the ball in good enough places due to out midfield as much as anything else.

IMO he would be a superstar in a superstar team.

our team is not a superstar one (by A-League standards) so for now, hes doing very well considering the shittyness of our midfield.

you pretty much answered your own question. Next season we'll surely have a better midfield, with better recruiting (hopefully bresc), and better support behind him and on the wings, i think he'll score more frequently. Give him a full pre-season with babalj and i think they could form a great understanding and become a very dangerous strike force.

So if an international holding midfielder is signed where does he fit in? Is a matter of of Germano then slotting in at RB or is there then pressure on Matt Thompson?

Garcia, Germano and gerhadt will be our midfield with our new defender taking gerhadts spot in defence

fixed ;)

• Like 2

please no simunic

+1

Gotta take a stand on something. Can't he find a club in his home country?

Why would you say no to SImunic? Is still playing in the croatian team / plays week in week out in Croatia but runs out of contract in June and would surely be swayed by a lucrative return to his home country of Australia. Would be the best CB in the A-League.

Edited by Che
  • Like 2

please no simunic

+1

Gotta take a stand on something. Can't he find a club in his home country?

Why would you say no to SImunic? Is still playing in the croatian team / plays week in week out in Croatia but runs out of contract in June and would surely be swayed by a lucrative return to his home country of Australia. Would be the best CB in the A-League.

Would be handy having a player that takes 3 yellows to get sent off

• Like 6

Its not about football.

I personally have a problem with him going to the AIS but later choosing Croatia as his home country. He was only Australian when it was convenient and he took up a spot at the AIS that should have gone to a genuine Australian.

Don't care if he's the best centre back in the world, wouldn't want him at my club. He's Croatian now. Let him live there.