Melbourne Football

John Aloisi

kingofhearts

"Munn said Aloisi remained firmly entrenched in the job and the club was giving him all the support they could.

But asked if that stance would continue if the losses kept mounting in coming weeks, he was less firm.

"I'm not going to speculate into the future," Munn said."

"Adelaide have had a tough couple of weeks as well ... we think we've got a squad that is good enough to certainly get three points."

In other words, we gave you all the support we could and unless you get three points against Adelaide that support will run out!?!

Edited by Red or Dead

David Davutovic @davutovic 12m

Melb Heart press conference tomorrow 1.30pm. Overseas candidate to take charge for Aloisi

David Davutovic @davutovic 2m

Not JVS but someone who managed in England last year

Is this coming from his twitter account cause i cant find it

did you read my post? timed at 3.57pm. today. source yelawolf.

This is coming from Yelawolf.

David Davutovic ‏@davutovic 12m

Melb Heart press conference tomorrow 1.30pm. Overseas candidate to take charge for Aloisi

David Davutovic ‏@davutovic 2m

Its true mate, just dropped off some deliveries to a construction site and my mate dangerous dave confirmed it.

David Davutovic ‏@davutovic 12m

David Davutovic ‏@davutovic 2m

Its true mate, just dropped off some deliveries to a construction site and my mate dangerous dave confirmed it.

Its not on his tweeter account though

Melbourne Heart crisis needs quick resolution

COMMENT: John Aloisi says he'll fight on. Melbourne Heart look almost certain to let him.

That is where the fight begins and ends for the Heart. There is precious little of it on the field where it matters.

The Heart are plumbing A-League depths not seen since the awful New Zealand Knights, and the death throes of North Queensland Fury.

Right now, this is a team well out of its depth. They are uncompetitive. At times embarrassing.

The Heart have become the GWS Giants of the A-League. Another start-up, at least the AFL newcomers have youth as an excuse and eventually promise to be good.

It would be hard to make similar promises about the Heart right now. And critically, youth is not their excuse. It is, in fact, the polar opposite.

In previous seasons, Heart have grown their own players and sold them on - Curtis Good, Brendan Hamill, Aziz Behich and Michael Marrone among them.

Now the perception is the club's a hospice for football's OAPs. The Vinnie Grella experiment didn't work. Harry Kewell isn't. In fairness, it has cost them little money to find this out. It is costing far more in face.

Their off-season signings include Dutch skipper Rob Wielaert, 34, and Maltese international Michael Mifsud, 32. On what they have shown so far, would either find a spot in any other A-League starting 11?

To be fair to the Heart, a good chunk of their quality is in the medical ward.

Their marquee man Orlando Engelaar, also no spring chicken but who would have added class and quality to the side, snapped his leg after 30 minutes of a trial game.

Their marquee on Mars Bar wages, Kewell, has not played football since he was injured in Round 1. He has played more golf than minutes for the Heart this season.

Their best player in their first two matches, ex-Socceroo Paddy Kisnorbo, was also then injured. He's back now, but to a team in crisis.

At any other A-League club, Aloisi would have been clearing out his desk.

That he hasn't, and probably won't before Sunday's clash with Adelaide United, could be for a number of reasons.

It was the Heart's current board which made the decision to appoint Aloisi instead of highly-rated former assistant Ante Milicic when both were vying for the job ahead of last season.

Aloisi, who had been youth-team coach, was preferred.

Milicic, who had a much longer, more solid coaching pedigree, left for new club Western Sydney Wanderers. There he has helped the club make a grand final in their inaugural season.

Aloisi was signed on a three-year-deal. He is not even halfway through it. Assuming the deal has the proper checks and balances, paying him out would take deep pockets. The Heart have operated profitably in recent seasons. Paying money for nothing would hurt the club, possibly beyond repair.

Punting Aloisi, an Australian sporting hero to the wider community for his World Cup-sealing penalty, would be akin to shooting Bambi.

This is despite the fact the Heart are the deer in the headlights when it comes to the highway. Australia is on to its third Prime Minister since the team last won away from home.

So many ask what the Heart stand for, as opposed to their glitzier, more successful crosstown rivals the Victory.

Sadly the constants through Heart's existence appear their inability to hold a lead, creating sundry chances without scoring, and dominant patches of 15 to 20 minutes followed by longer patches of anonymity.

Now they all blend into each other, game into game, loss into soul-sapping loss. It is the perfect storm of A-League crapness.

What is concerning in all this is the players.

Save for some handbag-swinging that wouldn't have been out of place in an 80s nightclub in response to an opponent's questionable tackle, they gave little for the second week running in a 3-1 loss to Newcastle.

Compare that with Sydney FC's response when their coach was under the pump and the team was down to 10 men against Melbourne Victory three weeks back. They have now won three in a row, including a win over the Heart.

Something needs to be done at the Heart. Soon. Either by the players, or by club management.

Aloisi has made his position clear. He's not going anywhere of his own accord.

The players and management need to make their call. Either back him in, or back the truck over him.

For the players, that means playing like they mean it. If that doesn't happen, then it's up to management to do what's needed for the sake of the club - and show Aloisi the door.

At http://www.sportal.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-heart-crisis-needs-quick-resolution/1c397p1oxqfgq11xxhruq5brgi

My comment: It's embarrassing having stuff like this written about us.
"So many ask what the Heart stand for ....

Sadly the constants through Heart's existence appear their inability to hold a lead, creating sundry chances without scoring, and dominant patches of 15 to 20 minutes followed by longer patches of anonymity.

Now they all blend into each other, game into game, loss into soul-sapping loss. It is the perfect storm of A-League crapness."

• Like 1

How interesting that the media is coming round to the view that the majority of Heart supporters reached towards the end of last season.

It looks like the last domino to fall is going to be club senior management and the Board, who are still stubbornly digging their heels in.

How interesting that the media is coming round to the view that the majority of Heart supporters reached towards the end of last season.

It looks like the last domino to fall is going to be club senior management and the Board, who are still stubbornly digging their heels in.

When is JVS meant to be arriving in Aus? Maybe they are waiting for him to come to get so he can take over from JA

When is JVS meant to be arriving in Aus? Maybe they are waiting for him to come to get so he can take over from JA

I think he got back last week for two months. Im not sure he would take over due to his other commitments overseas. Id say the club tried to get him back full time as a technical director for this season but id say he didn't want to be here full time. 

I just hope they swallow their pride and go get Milicic back and this time give him what he wants. But its not going to happen

Edited by Dylan

Why would we go back to the original failure ? we need a totally new way of thinking  

Why would we go back to the original failure ? we need a totally new way of thinking  

I'm not saying that I want JVS back. It is just the only reason I can think of as to why the board has not acted yet

Ok just quickly my dad basically said to him what's going on. Ja responded by saying we're not getting dominated by opponents that we can turn things around. My dad responded by saying that that may be so but coping 3 goals after the other team only comes in front of our goals a handful of times means something else is wrong. Ja continued with the we'll turn it around speech. My dad said to him times running out and that he has to watch out cause he's walking on hot coals atm and no ones going to save him. There's more but I don't have time right now. Will let yous know later.

Ok just to add onto my first post. Firstly need to explain the meaning behind the comment regarding 'JA time running out' was to say that there is a lot of pressure on him and that theres no one that can come to his rescue. Also spoke about the amount of balls we turn over, which JA agreed with and also how we don't pressure opposition and allow them to get into shooting positions. Obviously JA won't get caught up in tactics with fans for obvious reasons, but the convo was all in good nature. The team seemed pretty upbeat as someone else mentioned, and didulica and munn were there as well. I guess the most difficult thing to grasp from the whole situation is how stressed or panicked the club is about the situation we're in. For all our sakes I hope we turn things around.

I wouldnt say he was a failure compared to Aloisi.

"A stubborn Aloisi believes the return of an experienced list of injured players, including Kewell, Jonatan Germano, Orlando Engelaar and Jason Hoffman, will trigger a revival for the side chained to the bottom of the table."

At http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-heart-skipper-harry-kewell-set-for-long-awaited-return-for-struggling-club/story-e6frf4gl-1226768034626

My comments:

1. How many experienced and quality A League coaches use injuries as an excuse? For example, did we ever hear Graeme Arnold or Ange Postecoglou use injuries as an excuse?

2. Is this the same Jason Hoffman who played for us last year?

The article I read said Dylan Macallister in that quote as well. This whole thing is so embarrassing. Hoffman, Macallister and Germano barely played last season and he is relying on them to turn things around?? I really get the feeling JA is deluded.

Clutching at straws in the phrase that comes to mind.

I agree Natalie, the players listed are hardly going to offer us anything more than we already have. I don't believe either Engelaar or Kewell will make much of a difference to the way we are playing, and JA seems to be pinning his hopes on these two. Much like he did with Grella last season. And what if Kewell and Engelaar get further injuries? JA has already said he doesn't rate the alternative players.

Time for change.

I just came back from Aloisi press conference in April 12th, 2014. We just lost to WSW in AAMI Park 0-5. Aloisi was asked about the whole year and how does he feel that Heart has finished last with only 2 wins. He replied: "I believe this year was a learning curve for us. We definitely gave it to the oppositions and made it hard for them. We were just unlucky not able to finish our chances. I think Mifsud will have a cracker of a season next year, and he will improve on his one goal from this year. Harry should be ready to go by October, as he is currently suffering from an unknown psychological disease.  I believe that the fans need to be patient and continue to believe. As far as for myself, I'll be around for at least two more years. Thank you, and we expect all Heart fans to be there for the start of next year".

I thought I should let you guys know......

The article I read said Dylan Macallister in that quote as well. This whole thing is so embarrassing. Hoffman, Macallister and Germano barely played last season and he is relying on them to turn things around?? I really get the feeling JA is deluded.

Clutching at straws in the phrase that comes to mind.

I agree Natalie, the players listed are hardly going to offer us anything more than we already have. I don't believe either Engelaar or Kewell will make much of a difference to the way we are playing, and JA seems to be pinning his hopes on these two. Much like he did with Grella last season. And what if Kewell and Engelaar get further injuries? JA has already said he doesn't rate the alternative players.

Time for change.

If the journos are quoting him accurately then he is becoming more and more irrational on a weekly basis. His post-match comments are bad enough, but to even mention Hoffman, Germano and Macallister as providing some sort of relief from our present woes is, I agree, at least bordering on the delusional. Given that the media is now questioning the quality of of our recruiting I would have put all three in the category of "not being A-League standard" or perhaps better "no longer of A-League standard."

I listened all last season to how Fred was going to lead us to the promised land. We are now listening to the same theme every week. This "saviour" or "cargo-cult" mentality is also bordering on the delusional.

I am of the opinion that JA should stand aside, or be stood aside. That means he still remains with us but takes some time away from the position of head coach. It is quite possible that he is suffering from a stress-related disorder. I recall that when Sydney coach Ian Crook was feeling that the job was too much for him he resigned, so there are situations in which coaches do need take time out or finish altogether.

We have enough coaching resource at the club to cover JA's absence, and let's face it, a caretaker can't do any worse.

IMO Sunday's game against Adelaide is the last chance for us. If we win we at least save some face and have a chance of some sort of respectability for the rest of the season. Anything less finishes us off for the season - that's if we're not finished off already.

I think that to be fair to him, there has to be competition for spots in every squad. We've always had the problem that half our list is injured and there's little competition when players aren't playing well. At leasdy JVS would then promote youth players though

Now why have we had the problem with injuries.

1. Are there issues with our fitness and conditioning? Are there issues with our training?

2. Is the club taking up valuable squad positions by recruiting players/punting on players  with a history of injuries or older players more likely to succumb to injury and then bemoaning our bad luck when we not unexpectedly have plenty of players out injured? 

I think that to be fair to him, there has to be competition for spots in every squad. We've always had the problem that half our list is injured and there's little competition when players aren't playing well. At leasdy JVS would then promote youth players though

Now why have we had the problem with injuries.

1. Are there issues with our fitness and conditioning? Are there issues with our training?

2. Is the club taking up valuable squad positions by recruiting players/punting on players  with a history of injuries or older players more likely to succumb to injury and then bemoaning our bad luck when we not unexpectedly have plenty of players out injured? 

I agree, I think that we take too much risk signing injured players. Sometimes the risk does pay off but  we then should only take on that risk when we are prepared and confident in the alternate players for that position, Mauk and Kalmar are two obvious examples for our 10

Seems like the open acceptance of mediocrity is starting to rub off on the players...

Kisnorbo only had praise for the former Socceroos striker turned coach, declaring: “

The players are all right behind the coach because he’s been fantastic for us and we feel he’s the right man to take the club forward.

“A few weeks ago people were calling for the heads of Frank Farina and Gary van Egmond at Sydney and Newcastle, but nobody is saying anything anymore.

“What would be the point of replacing him? It wouldn’t solve anything. His ideas are excellent and so is his man-management.

"We can learn a lot from him. As a player, he has been there and done that at club level and also for Australia.

“I have played under coaches who have copped a lot of stick before. When things go bad the manager is the one takes the blame, sometimes fairly and sometimes not.

“In John’s case it is a bit unfair because the team has been a little unlucky and while he's still learning as a coach he’s been great and we as players need to step up for him and take some of that pressure off.

“As a group, we need to do our bit and stick together. Hopefully that will start against Adelaide, who are having their own problems also this season.

"Things change fast in football – and hopefully this weekend we will get the rub of the green and get a result.

“I’ve been in couple of relegation battles in my time at Leicester and in some ways this is no different. We just have to dig ourselves out of this slump.

“We just have to keep training hard … there is no magic bullet."

After impressing in the opening two rounds in a Heart team that was unbeaten at that stage, Kisnorbo was sidelined by a knee injury which required arthroscopic surgery to remove a rogue stitch left by a meniscus operation over a decade ago.

He returned to action in the 3-1 weekend loss at Newcastle Jets and is now desperate to make his imprint on a club in need of his renowned inspirational qualities.

“All seems okay now and hopefully I can play my part in helping the club out of this situation,” added the stopper whose warrior like presence could be crucial for the club in the coming weeks.

“I just want to play as many games as I can now and see us turn things around. We’ve had issues in terms of injuries, when it rains it pours sometimes and not having Harry Kewell available since the first round hasn’t helped.

“Hopefully he will be back this weekend because we need a player of his quality to give us an extra lift. The quicker we get him back on the pitch the better. He's been training hard and hopefully he will be ready.”

Edited by LR9

"The players are all right behind the coach because he’s been fantastic for us and we feel he’s the right man to take the club forward."

“A few weeks ago people were calling for the heads of Frank Farina and Gary van Egmond at Sydney and Newcastle, but nobody is saying anything anymore.

“What would be the point of replacing him? It wouldn’t solve anything. His ideas are excellent and so is his man-management.

"We can learn a lot from him. As a player, he has been there and done that at club level and also for Australia.

“I have played under coaches who have copped a lot of stick before. When things go bad the manager is the one takes the blame, sometimes fairly and sometimes not."

Oh, and by the way, he's the only coach prepared to sign an injury-prone player like me. Anyway, I'm only here for one season...
  • Like 1