Melbourne Football

John Aloisi

kingofhearts

"Melbourne Heart board with a lot to answer for as club slides to A-League basement

David Davutovic ANALYSIS

.....When Heart kicked off in 2010 they recruited a well credentialed foreigner to set the culture and headhunted arguably the best young Australian coach to be groomed by John van't Schip with a view to replacing him.

By the time the Dutchman quit in 2012, Ante Milicic had served a top three-year apprenticeship - coach of the year and first place with NSW state league side Sydney United, two FIFA U20 World Cups with the Young Socceroos and almost three years as an A-League assistant.

But the Heart board backflipped on the Milicic pledge, declaring an interview process would take place.

So what happened?

John Aloisi was a frustrated Sydney FC striker when he met van't Schip and football operations manager John Didulica on the eve of Heart's first season.

He was talked out of retirement by with the promise that he won't be pressured to play each week and - the clincher - a deal that rolled over into a coaching contract at the end of his one-year contract.

Aloisi then commenced his UEFA coaching badges in England and Heart was suitably impressed with his work ethic and determination in recruiting the club's inaugural youth squad.

By the end of his maiden youth league season Craig Goodwin, a player he had plucked from state league side Oakleigh, had broken into the seniors.

Heart's youth team travelled to Hawaii for a tournament against senior opposition and with van't Schip having just quit Aloisi, who was touted a serious contender by Heart's board, was closely watched by chief executive Scott Munn.

The performances were good and Aloisi presented well. He was now on the same line of betting as Milicic.

Both undertook two separate interview processes with Munn and Didulica followed by the Heart board.

Having had years to contemplate life as head coach, Milicic had two non-negotiables in his interview.

He wanted a more experienced coach to assist him, such as Rado Vidosic, and his no.1 target was disillusioned Victory midfielder Carlos Hernandez who Milicic felt could deliver regular finals football and lift crowds.

Aloisi was more flexible and wanted Milicic as his assistant.

Heart's board knew Milicic was the better candidate in football terms but felt Aloisi's profile would help the club bridge the gap between them and Victory, remembering Heart finished sixth, two spots and eight points ahead of Victory that season.

Finances may have also played a part but Heart's board felt with the right support, Aloisi would eventually succeed.

With the ultimate call, chairman Peter Sidwell and his five fellow directors went with Aloisi.

To add insult to injury for Milicic, Heart chief executive Scott Munn tried to block his move to the Wanderers and demanded compensation when Tony Popovic lured him as his assistant."

At  http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-board-with-a-lot-to-answer-for-as-club-slides-to-aleague-basement/story-fnk6pqhc-1226761811974

Looks like JA's mates at SBS are reminding us of what a great coach he has been.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/backofthenet/1595/Aloisi-knows-how-to-score/

This is the problem with having JA. He's genuinely a likeable guy and he scored "that" goal. Nobody wants to be seen to be crucifying him. Least of all his old football mates on SBS and elsewhere. Our board was definitely right when they saw JA as having a good media presence but they forgot the downside that comes when the football results go south.

Sacking JA would be like shooting Bambi

Edited by HEARTinator

If we were to lose against newy and he still wasn't sacked I don't know what it would take for him to go. The sooner it happens the better. It's like watching a horror film, this whole JA saga. You know its going to end badly, its all about what point it will happen at.

All parties can save face by simply moving him to one side for a few weeks. Sick leave, stress leave - whatever. If results improve he can ease back into it. If they don't then it wasn't him to blame anyway. But just doing nothing is making matters worse.

Looks like JA's mates at SBS are reminding us of what a great coach he has been.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/backofthenet/1595/Aloisi-knows-how-to-score/

This is the problem with having JA. He's genuinely a likeable guy and he scored "that" goal. Nobody wants to be seen to be crucifying him. Least of all his old football mates on SBS and elsewhere. Our board was definitely right when they saw JA as having a good media presence but they forgot the downside that comes when the football results go south.

Sacking JA would be like shooting Bambi

Agree, the media (especially former players and teammates of Aloisi) are dragging their feet and denying the obvious. It may sound somewhat deep and wise to suggest that there are 'bigger issues' or 'structural issues' at Heart, especially when the media don't actually name any such issues (as they haven't). But they can't ignore the elephant in the room: the only constant between the last unsuccessful season and this flat-lining season are Aloisi and Foxe. Our squad was overhauled between these two seasons and a lot more money was spent, but the same coaches are guiding us to the same poor results. It really is an indictment of football media in Australia, that they can so easily ignore the bleeding obvious.

I think the likeable/Mr nice guy dimension to Aloisi has also doomed him as a coach (at least until he get a few seasons more experience). Simon Hill asked the right question to Aloisi before he coached his first game: how can a nice guy like you become a successful coach? To which Aloisi tried to respond 'I'm not going to show you the other side publicly ... but it exists!', and then he tried to say he can make tough decisions when necessary (http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/new-melbourne-heart-coach-john-aloisi-speaks-exclusively-with-fox-sports-simon-hill/story-e6frf4gl-1226480442927).

And his mr nice guy side has failed his coaching:

- He wasted a VISA spot on Steven Gray, because he casually suggested at the Hawaii tournament that he would sign Gray if he became a coach (IIRC even Gray didn't expect him to honour his word, because even Gray probably knew he shouldn't).

- He signed aging Macallister for 2 seasons, seemingly because Aloisi played with Dylan at CCM and he thought Dylan was a nice guy (when Dmac's signing was officially announced, JA felt the need to say 'We played together at the Mariners and I'm looking forward to working with him. I know he is a great character and will certainly allow the younger guys to walk taller')

- He signed multiple aging Socceroos teammates, and expected them to comprise the spine of his teams (Garcia, Grella, Kewell)

- He persevered with aging and failing players, many of them former teammates, long after he should have dropped them

- And this season, I would say he played Hoffman over Walker, because Hoffman is reputed to be the hardest worker at training

- And he persisted with Williams as a 10, despite the fact that he is the worst passer in the team and he has a terrible touch (none of which stop him from being a solid winger, but he's a horrible 10). Should have simply played players in their actual positions, and started Mauk or Kalmar as a 10 starting in round 2 onwards, rather than persisting with Williams until round 6 (when he played Williams as a 10 again after half time!)

- I think he might be slow and hesitant to make substitutions because he's too nice and trusting of his players when they start

- He's coddled the players to such an extent that Williams could say after our home loss against Sydney, with a straight face, that we shouldn't have lost. Sure, protect your players a bit, but the players now sound delusional because they have been so overprotected

Aloisi is a tragic figure because of his mr nice guy flaw (not his only shortcoming, but a big one). It really hasn't helped him as a coach, and it has made it difficult for the club to sack him, due to most of the media treating Aloisi with kid gloves.

Sorry for another rant, but I had to get that out.

• Like 6

If we were to lose against newy and he still wasn't sacked I don't know what it would take for him to go. The sooner it happens the better. It's like watching a horror film, this whole JA saga. You know its going to end badly, its all about what point it will happen at.

I wouldn't be surprised if the board is being very conservative on this and likely are waiting till JA has some more of his squad back from injury (this might even be till Engelaar comes back). Just because then he will have been given (from the board POV) a real good crack at the job.

First season it wasn't his squad and it was riddled with injury and this season his 2 main players have been out. (Ofcourse you can put blame on JA for signing them, but thats a different question than should we replace him as coach right now). Especially when right now they don't have any options that will guarantee anything better. JVS wasn't exactly a prize (fell to shit when Madaschi left) and K*smina (heaven forbid) is the only coach around with plenty of A-League experience. Those 2 are the only ones i can think of that can come in right away

You're fucking dreaming if you think we can pull (or have the means to pull) a big name coach, so what we're left with is some random international coach which are still quite hit and miss in the A-League. And even then, discussions with international coaches take time, so they could be in the middle of a few now and decided they'd let JA continue for the time being.

Yes he deserves the sack, absolutely. But I do see reason for hesitation from the board to sack him at this moment. 

• Like 1

True supporters of a club sign up whether or not the club is winning. Otherwise you are just a bandwagon jumper. Jump on the bandwagon when all is well. Then jump off when the club is losing. That is NOT a true supporter or a true member.

If anyone has signed up with Melbourne Heart in an attempt to 'jump on the bandwagon', I'd suggest that they're useless at bandwagon jumping.

At this point in the club's history, I don't see how anyone could possibly be a Heart member and a bandwagon jumper. They're mutually exclusive. If someone from Melbourne wanted to get into the A-League and sign on with a consistently successful/competitive club, they would have gone to the other mob.

You're fucking dreaming if you think we can pull (or have the means to pull) a big name coach, so what we're left with is some random international coach which are still quite hit and miss in the A-League. And even then, discussions with international coaches take time, so they could be in the middle of a few now and decided they'd let JA continue for the time being.

Yes he deserves the sack, absolutely. But I do see reason for hesitation from the board to sack him at this moment. 

I wouldn't say that we are dreaming, I'd say that it would be very difficult and very expensive however we need to aim high and show our ambition and back it with action, and we need to make a statement of this to the league and look for the area where we can get a considerable advantage to leap-frog the other teams. I don't just want us off the bottom, I want us to win the competition regularly

I was suprised of the ages of these guys. Surely one of them is in his 30's! Which means we have passionate supporters of all ages!

I'm in my 30's tony999! What is surprising about someone in their 30's following Heart?

Im 36, passionate, foundation member, and stand at Yarraside every week...as do quite a few 30 somethings. Age means fuck all when we all must suffer a team with the silliest name in the league..."Heart" the team that plays with none! So, take note of the 30 somethings and their sign...sack JA now! Or some of us thirty somethings might show you what a heart really is...and drop dead from one attacking each of us! BTW: well done in standing your ground against the cops and acg flogs...if we can't voice our disdain by saying it directly, then the club is living in a fantasy world. (its not like the sign said; "Aloisi - fuck off and die!", but if thats what it takes to be noticed?)

Catch all the rest of you 30 somethings at the Adelaide game...no retreat, no surrender!

I'm in your boat my friend. I'm in my 30's too and a foundation member as well. I sat right behind the YS on Friday and am generally close to them at home games. There was one guy behind me, he had to be in his 50's and I kid you not, he was cheering every several seconds. He joined in every time the YS sang. He was out of tune with the singing but I give the guy credit as he lost his voice that night.

• Like 1

You're fucking dreaming if you think we can pull (or have the means to pull) a big name coach, so what we're left with is some random international coach which are still quite hit and miss in the A-League. And even then, discussions with international coaches take time, so they could be in the middle of a few now and decided they'd let JA continue for the time being. Yes he deserves the sack, absolutely. But I do see reason for hesitation from the board to sack him at this moment.

I wouldn't say that we are dreaming, I'd say that it would be very difficult and very expensive however we need to aim high and show our ambition and back it with action, and we need to make a statement of this to the league and look for the area where we can get a considerable advantage to leap-frog the other teams. I don't just want us off the bottom, I want us to win the competition regularly So in other words do what we should have done before last season

Edited by n i k o

I was suprised of the ages of these guys. Surely one of them is in his 30's! Which means we have passionate supporters of all ages!

I'm in my 30's tony999! What is surprising about someone in their 30's following Heart?

Im 36, passionate, foundation member, and stand at Yarraside every week...as do quite a few 30 somethings. Age means fuck all when we all must suffer a team with the silliest name in the league..."Heart" the team that plays with none! So, take note of the 30 somethings and their sign...sack JA now! Or some of us thirty somethings might show you what a heart really is...and drop dead from one attacking each of us! BTW: well done in standing your ground against the cops and acg flogs...if we can't voice our disdain by saying it directly, then the club is living in a fantasy world. (its not like the sign said; "Aloisi - fuck off and die!", but if thats what it takes to be noticed?)

Catch all the rest of you 30 somethings at the Adelaide game...no retreat, no surrender!

I'm in your boat my friend. I'm in my 30's too and a foundation member as well. I sat right behind the YS on Friday and am generally close to them at home games. There was one guy behind me, he had to be in his 50's and I kid you not, he was cheering every several seconds. He joined in every time the YS sang. He was out of tune with the singing but I give the guy credit as he lost his voice that night.

It wasn't me was it ...

sounds like me

• Like 1

You're fucking dreaming if you think we can pull (or have the means to pull) a big name coach, so what we're left with is some random international coach which are still quite hit and miss in the A-League. And even then, discussions with international coaches take time, so they could be in the middle of a few now and decided they'd let JA continue for the time being. Yes he deserves the sack, absolutely. But I do see reason for hesitation from the board to sack him at this moment. I wouldn't say that we are dreaming, I'd say that it would be very difficult and very expensive however we need to aim high and show our ambition and back it with action, and we need to make a statement of this to the league and look for the area where we can get a considerable advantage to leap-frog the other teams. I don't just want us off the bottom, I want us to win the competition regularly So in other words do what we should have done before last season

Yes, although we originally could have given the gig to Ante

Edited by belaguttman

Melbourne Heart to Crowdfund John Aloisi Sacking By Athas Zafiris @ArtSapphire · On November 18, 2013

In a move without precedent in professional team sport, A-League football club, Melbourne Heart will be launching a crowdfunding campaign to help pay for the removal of their beleaguered manager, John Aloisi.

Shoot Farken has obtained minutes and other confidential documents from a crisis meeting held at Melbourne Heart headquarters. They were found in a wheelie bin after an anonymous tip off.

The meeting was called after last Friday’s defeat against Sydney FC at AAMI Park. The team’s performance was so poor it resulted in boos and chants of  “Aloisi Out” from their increasingly restive supporters. Melbourne Heart have picked up only two points from their last A-League eleven matches.

According to the minutes viewed by Shoot Farken, the board headed by the club’s chairman, Peter Sidwell, concluded that they had:

1)    Made the mistake of appointing an inexperienced youth coach ahead of a better credentialed candidate because Aloisi was better for publicity.

2)    Made the mistake of putting Aloisi on a three year contract.

3)    Made the mistake of not terminating Aloisi’s contract after an unsatisfactory first season.

Also present at the meeting was an un-named consultant from the neo-liberal think tank, Institute of Public Affairs. He had been invited by the board to offer innovative and creative solutions to “The Aloisi Problem”.

Shoot Farken has also obtained the copy of his presentation. It reads:

Disasters, be they natural or man-made, present exciting market opportunities. What we have here is a relatively insignificant on-field football disaster. But it is significant for you because you have gambled with an appointment and lost.

This is where capitalism comes to the rescue. It allows the rich like you to make mistakes, but not pay for them.  Why use your money, when you can use someone else’s.

If your customers want John Aloisi out of your franchise, why should you pay for your mistake of appointing him?

In this case, all you need to do is to get the masses to pay out the remainder of his three year contract.  Why stand in their way. Give them what they want. Give them some customer satisfaction.

We recommend the exciting new world of crowdfunding to solve “The Aloisi Problem”.

Everyone is doing it. Not only are the less well-off trying to raise cash for worthy projects, but also rich people like you. Just look at Zach Braff and his film project.

If Zach can raise three million dollars for his film, surely you can raise half million to pay out Aloisi. The demand is there. All you need to do is to come up with a suitable reward to match the size of the pledge as a token of your heartfelt appreciation.

According to the minutes, the Melbourne Heart board voted in favour of the crowdfunding solution.

In another document found in the wheelie bin, the following rewards will be offered for financial pledges to remove John Aloisi.

Pay $10 or more and receive an “I Helped Sack John Aloisi” sticker.

Pledge $20 or more and receive an “I Helped Sack John Aloisi” badge.

Pledge $50 or more and receive an “I Helped Sack John Aloisi” t-shirt.

Pledge $1,000 or more and receive a round of golf with Harry Kewell. 50 available.

Pledge $2,000 or more and receive John Aloisi’s suit from Peter Werth. 20 available.

Pledge $5,000 or more and receive Hayden Foxe’s match day uniform. 1 available.

Pledge $10,000 or more and receive John Aloisi’s Bunnings Chair. 1 available.

Pledge $500,000 or more and receive a seat on the Melbourne Heart board. 1 available

Pledge $10,000,000 or more and receive the Melbourne Heart A-League License. 1 available

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

Melbourne Heart to Crowdfund John Aloisi Sacking

By Athas Zafiris @ArtSapphire · On November 18, 2013

In a move without precedent in professional team sport, A-League football club, Melbourne Heart will be launching a crowdfunding campaign to help pay for the removal of their beleaguered manager, John Aloisi.

Shoot Farken has obtained minutes and other confidential documents from a crisis meeting held at Melbourne Heart headquarters. They were found in a wheelie bin after an anonymous tip off.

The meeting was called after last Friday’s defeat against Sydney FC at AAMI Park. The team’s performance was so poor it resulted in boos and chants of  “Aloisi Out” from their increasingly restive supporters. Melbourne Heart have picked up only two points from their last A-League eleven matches.

According to the minutes viewed by Shoot Farken, the board headed by the club’s chairman, Peter Sidwell, concluded that they had:

1)    Made the mistake of appointing an inexperienced youth coach ahead of a better credentialed candidate because Aloisi was better for publicity.

3)    Made the mistake of not terminating Aloisi’s contract after an unsatisfactory first season.

Also present at the meeting was an un-named consultant from the neo-liberal think tank, Institute of Public Affairs. He had been invited by the board to offer innovative and creative solutions to “The Aloisi Problem”.

Disasters, be they natural or man-made, present exciting market opportunities. What we have here is a relatively insignificant on-field football disaster. But it is significant for you because you have gambled with an appointment and lost.

This is where capitalism comes to the rescue. It allows the rich like you to make mistakes, but not pay for them.  Why use your money, when you can use someone else’s.

If your customers want John Aloisi out of your franchise, why should you pay for your mistake of appointing him?

In this case, all you need to do is to get the masses to pay out the remainder of his three year contract.  Why stand in their way. Give them what they want. Give them some customer satisfaction.

We recommend the exciting new world of crowdfunding to solve “The Aloisi Problem”.

Everyone is doing it. Not only are the less well-off trying to raise cash for worthy projects, but also rich people like you. Just look at Zach Braff and his film project.

If Zach can raise three million dollars for his film, surely you can raise half million to pay out Aloisi. The demand is there. All you need to do is to come up with a suitable reward to match the size of the pledge as a token of your heartfelt appreciation.

According to the minutes, the Melbourne Heart board voted in favour of the crowdfunding solution.

In another document found in the wheelie bin, the following rewards will be offered for financial pledges to remove John Aloisi.

Pledge $1,000 or more and receive a round of golf with Harry Kewell. 50 available.

Pledge $2,000 or more and receive John Aloisi’s suit from Peter Werth. 20 available.

Pledge $500,000 or more and receive a seat on the Melbourne Heart board. 1 available

Pledge $10,000,000 or more and receive the Melbourne Heart A-League License. 1 available

:lol: Looks legit :droy:

Melbourne Heart to Crowdfund John Aloisi Sacking By

Athas Zafiris

@ArtSapphire

· On November 18, 2013

I heard that there was a 1m stack of documents in the bottom of the wheelie bin. The bin was labeled 'M. Mifsud' and it's an innovative new training solution from Heart after the striker complained that it was too dark for him whilst he was in his ice bath.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 3

since when does passion stop at 50?

I wouldn't be surprised if the board is being very conservative on this and likely are waiting till JA has some more of his squad back from injury (this might even be till Engelaar comes back). Just because then he will have been given (from the board POV) a real good crack at the job.

First season it wasn't his squad and it was riddled with injury and this season his 2 main players have been out. (Ofcourse you can put blame on JA for signing them, but thats a different question than should we replace him as coach right now). Especially when right now they don't have any options that will guarantee anything better. JVS wasn't exactly a prize (fell to shit when Madaschi left) and K*smina (heaven forbid) is the only coach around with plenty of A-League experience. Those 2 are the only ones i can think of that can come in right away

Agree with all of this. Although our board made a mistake with JA they have always been prudent and non-reactionary I think and this is what you need. Otherwise we would be like Sydney. 

since when does passion stop at 50?

Passion should never stop until your Heart serves you.

• Like 1

Id love to know who's name would be in the next chapter for the Hearts manager position? (world superstar and injury prone professional.....H. Kewell as player manager)  ;)

Who do you think would be favorite to take the position if ''John A-lose i'' left?

Personally, i would keep him on till the end of the season, as were only 6 games in. if he hasn't pulled his finger out by then, i personally will buy him a Myki card and show him the fukin tram door.

We have alot of injury's to some key players which isn't helping us. I also feel one win either home or away will boost the teams morale and everyone will want to kiss Mr Aloisi bum cheek :P  

Anyhow, Come on Hearts, tear apart the Newcastle Jet ski scum and bring the belief back to the Yarraside  :) 

Personally, i would keep him on till the end of the season, as were only 6 games in. if he hasn't pulled his finger out by then, i personally will buy him a Myki card and show him the fukin tram door.

At what point of not winning a game would you give him the boot? You say till the end of the year but I assume you have a breaking point? What if it's 10 games in and 1 win? 

That poll has clearly been trolled by victory fans.

I normally find most polls are. Anything involving a victory player or something along those lines ends up pro-victory interests. Most their fans must check the world game site compared to other teams. I guess they might have jobs and don't find the time :P

(hmmm says a guy reading the forum in the middle of the day oops)

• Like 1

I was watching the Jets Vs Roar game yesterday and before the game started the commentator said that GVE came out and said that the possession-style football he wanted to play wasn't working and he has modified his game plan to suit his playing list...BOOM they come and win the next two (and most likely three this weekend).

This is something that Aloisi lacks - he can see that the way he wants Heart to play just isn't working with his current crop of players, yet he's not changing his game plan to suit the players that HE recruited!

• Like 1

At what point of not winning a game would you give him the boot? You say till the end of the year but I assume you have a breaking point? What if it's 10 games in and 1 win? 

My breaking point is not winning anything when we have a full fit squad, then Aloisi will need to be shown the door. When we played Sydney we had 6 key players injured one being Engelaar who from my perspective would of made a massive impact to the midfield as that was where we was torn apart on Fri.