Melbourne Football

John Aloisi

kingofhearts

If you read Soccernomics (and I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't), there is little evidence that replacing the coach produces lasting improvement. instead they find that investing in better players is the only way to bring about a statistically significant improvement in results. However, his data comes from EPL and European leagues that don't have a salary cap, we do but there is probably little research  evidence to guide us as to the best way to go. Sydney FC is a great example of the coach merry-go-round that is counter-productive. If we do change the coach, it's really important to get the right one, not a stopgap.

• Like 2

Based on the A-League, last season Perth were a much improved outfit once Ferguson was given the arse and Edwards brought in. Only minor changes were made in the personnel he was putting on the pitch each week, but they were a completely different outfit. Getting a marquee coach in the A-League should be a higher priority than a marquee player IMO.

• Like 2

Last season Perth were a much improved outfit once Ferguson was given the arse. 

Perth look pretty ordinary so far this year.  Ok they beat us last week, but that just meant they were better than terrible.  The votes aren't in on Edwards yet, so I'm not sure he's a great example. 

Edited by Shahanga

Perth look pretty ordinary so far this year.  Ok they beat us last week, but that just meant they were better than terrible.  The votes aren't in on Edwards yet, so I'm not sure he's a great example. 

Sydney had more shots on the Perth goal in the first 10 minutes than we had for the match and Sydney are really terrible. Mind you the ref performance was poor too, an off-side call missed even though the resulting penalty was correct.

Unfortunately though, we were terrible. Absolutely hopeless.

However, tomorrow is another day. Come on Heart.

This is what Mourinho said after Chelsea lost 2:0 to Newcastle.

"After the match, Mourinho questioned the fight of his players and admitted that they deserved to lose as they missed out on the chance to move to the top of the Premier League table.

"We were too soft with the ball and too soft without the ball," Mourinho said.

"We were not aggressive enough in possession. We deserved to lose. I'm not sure if Newcastle deserved to win, but we definitely deserved to lose.

"I feel like I picked 11 wrong players. Of course I'm exaggerating but I always have this feeling when I lose."

Honest and direct, no fluffy sugar coated make you feel good bs

"We have created lots of opportunities blah blah"

has been heard after every loss.

C'mon John, if your game plan isn't executed to expected level, show some teeth!!!!!

Firstly, i couldn't care a less about Chelski

Secondly, there is a world of difference between an experienced EPL manager and an Australian A league new to the job manager

Firstly I hope Chelsea finishes last and gets relegated.

However you totally missed the point here.

expecting him to deliver honest and direct assessment of the team's performance has nothing to do with years of experience in HAL

BTW He has more exposure to coaching tactics since his playing days in Spain do don't make him look like he decided to coach last month and just landed this job

Edited by Jestr

Yes Murfy1 I've been a member since day one, if JVS was still with us today we would be in a great position on and off the pitch... His game plane is not easy to play, and takes time. At least after every week we were getting better, first year no final next year one final. If he chose to stay we would of gone further than what we did last year. JA fails every week, when he mentions in his pre game talk that he has been watching the team closely and knows how we are going to stop them. WTF are you saying JA you idiot, why don't you think of a way we can play every week instead of watching our opponent for that week! P.S tonight's game isn't going to be as bad as ppl think, just because Brisbane are much better than us it's not easy cracking down any team that parks the bus.

Yes Murfy1 I've been a member since day one, if JVS was still with us today we would be in a great position on and off the pitch... His game plane is not easy to play, and takes time. At least after every week we were getting better, first year no final next year one final. If he chose to stay we would of gone further than what we did last year. JA fails every week, when he mentions in his pre game talk that he has been watching the team closely and knows how we are going to stop them. WTF are you saying JA you idiot, why don't you think of a way we can play every week instead of watching our opponent for that week! P.S tonight's game isn't going to be as bad as ppl think, just because Brisbane are much better than us it's not easy cracking down any team that parks the bus.

Yes, you don't judge a coach based on just one result, so it really isn't the point to judge JA on tonight's game. Win, lose or draw one game isn't the issue - the issue is whether a coach is taking the club down the path that the club's owners want. That path will be a combination of various things - man management, playing style, actual results, youth development and promotion, imported players, etc. etc. And it takes a period of time before you can assess that properly.

Some on here feel that we've seen enough of JA to make the call that he's taking the club down the wrong path. Some feel that it's too early to say.

But I'm not seeing anyone either on here or in the media who's making positive comments and thinks he's doing a great job.

• Like 1

I personally think it would be a fairy tail story for the club if he succeeded here

Legend, pretty good player and nice bloke too.

Nothing to complain ....but.....

In this business results speak for themselves.

:-/

We'd all love a fairy story and I hope that this one comes try but so far I see nothing to convince me

• Like 1

Yes, you don't judge a coach based on just one result, so it really isn't the point to judge JA on tonight's game. Win, lose or draw one game isn't the issue - the issue is whether a coach is taking the club down the path that the club's owners want. That path will be a combination of various things - man management, playing style, actual results, youth development and promotion, imported players, etc. etc. And it takes a period of time before you can assess that properly.

Some on here feel that we've seen enough of JA to make the call that he's taking the club down the wrong path. Some feel that it's too early to say.

But I'm not seeing anyone either on here or in the media who's making positive comments and thinks he's doing a great job.

Tony Tannous and Fozzie have both praised the improved defensive performances from our team, and they did it in a way that suggested that the team was moving forward. I generally agree with those two but not on this occasion.

Although I wish he'd make a second substitution, he hasn't done a lot wrong today. I think for once you can only blame the players today

This. It's not like he can go out on the field and score all those chances we had.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Although I wish he'd make a second substitution, he hasn't done a lot wrong today. I think for once you can only blame the players today

I agree but somethings gotta give. Its easier to replace the coach than half the squad. We need a coach who commands respect from his players. Something JA obviously cant get.

He has had enough chances. Times up. Thanks for coming.

Difference between Mulvey and Aloisi:

Mulvey: "We got 3 goals and 3 points but i am not happy with that performance... That performance is not acceptable"

Haven't seen it yet but we all know the shit that Aloisi is likely to spin "Unlucky, injuries, etc".

EDIT: Aloisi has just said "That's the performance we want away from home"

Pathetic. Brisbane have a winning culture, our culture is shit. Aloisi is a flog. 

Edited by RoyalHeart
  • Like 3

Don't know how anyone can fault JA's tactics in this game. No-one even gave us a chance at the start of this game and we were by far the stronger team and created many 1v1 chances. I'm pretty sure that is his job. Everything else is up to the players on the pitch to be able to finish them and they couldn't.

I don't see what sacking him would accomplish if players can't find the back of the net.

Sure, the press was annoying since we did just lose 3-0 and to be that positive was frustrating to watch. But i think thats to keep the moral as high as possible going into the next game to win next week. Again i think that is his job.

• Like 2

This. It's not like he can go out on the field and score all those chances we had.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

I disagree. Look at any good coach and how they actually influence the team. JA has not influenced the team to do anything good at all

• Like 4

If the board haven't realized appointing JA over Milicic was a fuck-up of monumental proportions by now then our season is effectively already over.

Arnold showed what a proper coach does during a game last night, down 2-0, changes from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-4-2 Diamond and they wrest control of the game back. JA scarcely has a Plan A, forget about a Plan B.

His whole appointment reeks of amateur hour. It was like having two blokes applying for a pilots job, 1 has done his training and the other has done none but looks like Ice Man from Top Gun. We chose Ice Man and he's sending us spiraling towards the ground.

• Like 4

If the board haven't realized appointing JA over Milicic was a fuck-up of monumental proportions by now then our season is effectively already over.

Arnold showed what a proper coach does during a game last night, down 2-0, changes from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-4-2 Diamond and they wrest control of the game back. JA scarcely has a Plan A, forget about a Plan B.

His whole appointment reeks of amateur hour. It was like having two blokes applying for a pilots job, 1 has done his training and the other has done none but looks like Ice Man from Top Gun. We chose Ice Man and he's sending us spiraling towards the ground.

Awesome analogy

The Brisbane match is a tough match to analyse. I fully agree that if we took our chances we would have won. And we might well have won quite comfortably. If we managed to beat CCM (and didn't have BS penalties called against us, for example), confidence would have been up, and I reckon that additional confidence would have been enough for our players to put away their chances. The final scoreline really conceals how close we were to winning.

It's very hard to fault how we were set-up tactically. Our approach to the game was solid, and Matt Smith and Mulvey praised it highly.

However, some bad patterns are becoming evident, and these longer term trends can be blamed on Aloisi. Our away performances, our inability to retain possession and pass decently, and the tactical changes he makes when we are chasing a game are 3 key shortcomings that are becoming hard to ignore.

Again, Aloisi can't really be blamed for this loss. The players are equally responsible for squandering a number of good chances. I'm going to wait til the 7th game before I make up my mind about Aloisi's future. The fact is, it's highly unlikely we'd get a good coach mid-season. Clubs never get good coaches mid-season, for example: Adelaide and Kosmina, Sydney FC and Farina, Victory and Jim Magilton. So I really doubt that a coach change would singlehandedly improve things mid-season (the best coaches are always recruited in the off-season). It might have to be done, but people shouldn't expect a change of coaches to fix everything and make us win the league.

Edited by Murfy1

I disagree. Look at any good coach and how they actually influence the team. JA has not influenced the team to do anything good at all

Exactly. It's not just this year but all of last year as well. 

My question to the forum is what do we do now as supporters? I asked this after the Perth game but got told that we couldn't do much. I disagree. I am not exactly sure what to do but as supporters there has to be a point where we say enough is enough and we stop accepting the mediocrity that we have all become accustomed to. It has been 3.25 years and we have seen nothing more than glimpses of what this club should be achieving. We all have to put our hand up and say no we aren't going to accept this anymore and put the pressure on the board to change coaches. It may sound dramatic but the immediate and long term future of our club is at stake and that is not something we can compromise just because JA kicked that goal or because we think he's a pretty good guy. We need to stand tall and be passionate and express our disappointment in what is becoming nothing more than a joke. 

• Like 1