Melbourne Football

Prior to Melbourne Heart FC

Jimmy

Who did you support before Heart?

Why did you start supporting Heart?

If you didn't support Victory, why?

actually curious to see people's answers to these questions.

I know I'm gonna get destroyed for this, but it's nothing I haven't said in the past.

1. Victory.

2. Because I had a choice. Only went for Victory because they were the only option and I wanted to back a football team in my city. Never really felt a massive connection but still was a fan. Decided I'd support Heart if presented with that option, took it. The rest is history.

3. n/a

Edited by Ellki
  • Like 3

I am not sure if these questions are directed just at FB, Benched, but seeing as nobody has answered you I will

1- Newcastle Breakers- although I would not say I was die hard or anything. This was during a time when I was only just discovering the joys of local soccer (after they folded i briefly lived in perth and went to half a season at perth oval and then newcastle united for a season- i would not say i supported these teams though. attended games is more accurate)

2- I started watching the A-League in S4 and they mentioned Melbourne was to have a second team entered into the comp in S5. I figured it would be awesome to follow a club from the beginning and that they would need the support so I decided they would be my team.

3- Bit of a long story but the short version is that I didnt want to/couldnt afford to buy Foxtel just to watch a league full of clubs that I had no connection with (although i am aware that newcatle united and the jets are the same club, changing the name badge and colours to some americanised sounding garbage that showed no respect to the regions history turned me off). Just decided to follow the Socceroos and didnt really follow any other football for a few years because the EPL was no longer shown on SBS either.

So basically I guess you could call me a cross between an NSL bitter and a new dawner

I supported Melbourne Knights most of my life and then Victory for a bit. (Still would support Knights if they were in top div., shit attitude I know)

Started supporting Heart because I never really felt attached to Victory due to arrogant supporters + shit stadium, but am a Football addict. Also had an interview with John Didulica back in 2010 who spoke to me about the direction of the club etc. and I was sold. Also, the slight Croatian influence helped convince me.

1.Manchester United, still do.

2.Because they seemed to follow the principles that I was looking for in a football club. Community, youth development, and nice fans, who actually helped me out not like Victory fans.

3.Because they are stuck up illiterate bastards. They're full of drama and are against everything I believe in.

Note, I'm not Australian and I don't live in Australia either.

1- no one. Didn't follow a league. Saw a few victory highlights on YouTube for my job, that's about it.

2- was keen to support them in the first year, but they didn't have the membership I wanted. I was busy. But then year 2, Ando suggested I come down an support. I made time for it, and loved the people who were already here.

3- I have never liked K Muscunt.

1) Arsenal

2)This would link to Q3, Victory was never an appealing team for me, having Heart come into the league I was interested to see if they are legible for my support, I have likened the fans and community that Heart had produced in their first season, the first derby win had ultimately won my favour and the a-league got a whole more interesting for me.

3) As I said, victory was not appealing, Kevin Muscat was a bad role model as a captain, from my view he influenced the team to have some arrogant-scum attitude. The people who I knew personally that supported victory are wankers, and from seeing them and watching the active supporters of victory seem to have very low level of intelligence and looked like they crawled from the dark corners of all suburbs and gathered for 90 min at the stadium.

I know I'm gonna get destroyed for this, but it's nothing I haven't said in the past.

1. Victory.

2. Because I had a choice. Only went for Victory because they were the only option and I wanted to back a football team in my city. Never really felt a massive connection but still was a fan. Decided I'd support Heart if presented with that option, took it. The rest is history.

3. n/a

This is great. I reckon there a few more with similar stories but are too proud to admit it.

1.:Who did you support before Heart?

Victory, halfheartedly, and Brentford FC. Happy to admit it, i honestly couldn't give a fuck about this whole turncoat / traitor bullshit. It's not interesting at all. I'm actually dubious about the claims of a lot of people here that they never supported Victory. I'm sure they may not have ever been to games, but i don't honestly believe that any of them went out of their way to articulate some sort of boycott against the club when it was the only non-VPL option in Melbourne - unless of course they weren't in Melbourne at the time of Victory's foundation etc.

2. Why did you start supporting Heart?

Same colours as Brentford FC, plus i was never really into Victory. Probably only went to one game throughout their whole existance, plust i liked the look of Heart's squad when they were developing.

Nuff said.

Edited by Che

1) Defiantly victory. Went to a couple games but was never really a die hard. Watched most games on T.V including home games.

2) I honestly to this day don't know. Maybe it was just the fact that a new club was starting in melbourne and i didn't want to see them fold. Also the fact they were the smaller club. In other codes i've always supported the bigger clubs so thought it would be nice to support a little club for a change. More or less just that new factor. Was also a good way to catch up with mates that i didn't see that often. Pretty pox excuses i know but i honestly didn't find out how great yarraside was until i joined them last year

3) Defiantly the muscat zahra incident. Seeing that type of reckless attempt on a kid from a player who should know better disgusted me. I just could never support a club that would allow a player like that to continue to play the season out as well as let be part of the coaching staff. Every time i see his face it disgusts me that he is even allowed to be a part of this league.

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

1). No-one, although occasionally went to watch South Melbourne (but no Greek connection whatsoever).

2). Wanted to get back into watching football, just as Heart and AAMI Park came along. Liked the concepts behind the club.

3). Wasn't ready for the A-League when it came along, and also thought most Victory supporters seemed to be bogans.

These really are some interesting answers. And as for the turncoats debate, we aren't accusing you, but you'll find the ones that did support sfc in anyway before WSW would be similar to some of your stories...

There is this idea that has arisen that the core of the RBB came straight from within the inner sanctum of the cove. Which is not true. I'm sure some supported more than others, but there is almost 200 others that didn't...

These answers i find very interesting simply because it helps my argument to my mates that Melbourne is the sporting capital of Australia - something I take out of the fact I was born in your wonderful city. Gotta support my roots...

• Like 1

There is this idea that has arisen that the core of the RBB came straight from within the inner sanctum of the cove. Which is not true. I'm sure some supported more than others, but there is almost 200 others that didn't...

The core of a terrace group in Australia does not include 200 people. <_<

1. Victory.. Obviously as they were the only local a-league team at the time, however was never a die hard, just wanted to support football in Australia.

2. Changed as family has club links.. Family relations are good friends with players such as collosimo, heffernan when he was here, and inperticularly Bolton and aloisi. So I get the occasional sneaky jersey from a player much to my delight!! Also my mate supports heart and none follow victory, and who doesn't love going to the football with mates.. Compared with a bunch of flogs who take themselves far too seriously..

1. I was a big fan (and still am) of Green Gully in the VPL, I even went to the 2010 VPL Grand Final when we won 3-0 against Richmond, good times. I was never really a big fan of the A-League really, but being originally from Perth I had a soft spot for the Glory, I wasn't a big fan or anything, just a passing interest.

2. What actually caught my eye at first were the colours Red and White, and our away kit. I love South Melbourne's (VFL) old jumper with the red sash on white, so I was interested in the Heart. I went to my first game last year (that infuriating 1-1 draw against Sydney) and just kept going back.

3. I hated them then, and I still hate them now. I was only around 10 years old when the A-League was in it's first season, and even then I thought that they were all twats.

No one really. Just loved playing outdoor. Loved playing futsal and always thought that buying a membership on my own was a waste of money, as I'd have no one to go with.

Finally found a mate that was willing to buy a membership to go watch the football with. Jumped onto the A league website and stumbled along an article saying that MHFC are coming along nicely and will be ready for round 1.

So I thought, fuck it. It's a new team, I'm gonna throw my weight behind them.

Never looked back.

I was always glad to hear the blue and whites were winning as there wasn't another team in Victoria in our footballs top tier division, but that was the full extent of it.

Victory, started off reasonably keen although living in Bendigo at the time I was only a country member. I love the sport and seeing as though I am a proud Victorian, I had no other option as to who I could support. Went to the 3 Grand Final's, loved it when they won 6-0 but after that win my interest started to wain. The final season before Heart was introduced I didn't go to one game and rarely watched on tv, I just didn't connect with the club.

As stated above I had effectively stopped supporting Victory, yet loved the game. I was getting interested by all the news of this new club and their values. I'm not one to jump clubs normally (I support Richmond FFS) but something about Heart appealed to me, I can't really explain exactly what it was, I just felt a connection with the club that I hadn't experienced once with that other mob. Good values and feeling a connection with the club is important to me.

N/A

No one basically. if someone would asked who i went for i would say, "Victory obviously, who is there else to go for?'

Grew up in an AFL house. only victory games i went to:

Victory vs Juve (with Juve fans)

Victory vs Fulham

Victory vs Sydney GF from a couple of years ago. (uncle got free tickets from work)

NOTE: dont have foxtel, so didnt watch games on TV either.

it made sense to support heart. see below.

basically, i started playing the sport 3 years ago so it coincided with my admiration for the sport. really, i only started to play/watch/follow football that year. didnt care for it before that.

EDIT: was barracking for Juve when they played victory. i go for milan. :lawl:

Edited by nicotera5

These really are some interesting answers. And as for the turncoats debate, we aren't accusing you, but you'll find the ones that did support sfc in anyway before WSW would be similar to some of your stories...

These answers i find very interesting simply because it helps my argument to my mates that Melbourne is the sporting capital of Australia - something I take out of the fact I was born in your wonderful city. Gotta support my roots...

Ps. Those who are core rbb that came from scc, 1-2 stood with cove tried to get things going down the front.. Didnt work.. Too many dickheads.. Started his own thing.. The rest never stood with the cove, and stopped supporting sydfc back in 2007

Edited by Bravas

Bought a Victory membership but never went to a game. Don't know why, I guess Etihad Stadium didn't appeal to me.

I support Sunderland in the EPL and it was a natural fit for me when Heart arrived. A few players got on my tram on the way to work one morning as a promotion and I got a miniature ball from Simon Colosimo.

Just didn't get them. Didn't like them and can't stand Muscut.

• Like 2

1. only watched sbs world game each week coupled with eufa/ world cup

2. Got all my mates to start supporting them, went along to my first game with friends stood in the terrace for our first win at home against NQF

3. Went to a game cause my dad wanted to go, that kosmina-muscat game, we both thought they were shit never went again,

Went to a few games with mates and didn't really get into it, seemed to always be stuck amongst fucktard supporters at everygame:

<Hernandez misses a shot> "Fuk bro, dat kunt iz shit, my cousin coulda been heaps sicker player than him, cept he did hiz knee, Hernandez is a fat kunt, get him off da park.

<5 minutes later, Hernandez scores> "I told you he was a sikk kunt, fuckin best playa ever in Austraya"

Chanting "Fuck off Sydney" against CCM pretty much topped it off for me.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lol - Seriously I have meet many PPL (Myself included) who were put off by the exact same thing.

Edited by cadete

1. Had a passing interest in Victory and the Knights, and by passing I mean very occasionally I stumbled across their results. Never actually attended a Victory game though, but had a bit of a knowledge of them because I play FM and would manage them fairly frequently.

2. Well I heard Heart were joining the league, and I have always been interested in soccer without actively following it. I love the FM series, and enjoy going to sport (I attend AFL every week), and figured I'd love to give it a go. The Heart news kept getting better, I liked the colours, especially the away kit, some of the signings and liked the idea of going to matches that weren't at Etihad or the MCG. I also felt I had missed the boat with Victory, having not gained any enjoyment from their Grand Final wins or any of their previous seasons really, and if I had of represented myself to someone as a Victory supporter I'd feel like I was one of those shithouse Essendon supporters who know nothing except that Matthew Lloyd is a champion and James Hird is their captain (despite being a gopod 8 years or so out of date) and love to absolutely rub it in when they catch wind that the "Mighty Bombers" beat your side.

So Heart gave me the chance to find a new side that i could support from the start, liked the colours of, felt like I wasn't just part of a bandwagon and gave me something different to do in the summer. The hardest part at first was finding anybody to go with as my group is generally AFL, but slowly I've managed to become a regular attendee and have probably brought in excess of 15 friends through the gates at some stage with varying results.

I don't hate Victory but I do hate Muscat and i wouldn't want to be involved with their club anymore.

Who Did you support before Heart?

Was an extremely avid South Melbourne in the old days of the NSL. I was 9 when the NSL shut up shop and was just very dis-associated with Victory, just felt bitter that South weren't in the league. Dad and I would watch almost every A-League game each weekend, barracking for every team against Victory. There was a stage when I liked watching Adelaide play, had some quality young players like Burns and Djite.

Still bitter that South wasn't in the league, but hated going to VPL games, which wasn't very invigorating and still didn't feel like the old NSL days which I wish I could experience again. Knew this was never going to happen though. In early 2010 Matt Thompson came to my school and gave a talk about himself and with Sue Crow talked what Heart was all about and the community engagement, which I thought was something the Visitors never did and appealed to me. I felt it was right to really follow the Heart as it seemed the club was trying to do something different and I liked the idea of JVS and this Dutch style of play and thought I'd like

If you didn't support Victory, why

1: Their fans, I would go and sit in the members with my mates from time to time, were all morons. Knew three players Donut King (Carlos), Archie and Mus-cunt and made me infuriated, I could never barrack for a Bandwagon club like that.

2: Olympic Park was a hole. I hate Etihad, such a fake stadium, very far away from the pitch as well. Never enjoyed going there even for AFL games.

3: I hate Archie, absolute over-rated spud. Flat track bully and nothing more IMO.

Who Did you support before Heart?

I used and still do to some degree the Brisbane Strikers, but not in a passionate way as I could never get into the NSL. I never felt it represeted me or I belonged to it. Roma was always my overseas team, basically becasue as a kid they had the same colours as the Brisbane teams. Still support them as well. Tried to like the Dutch Roar but their dedication to sticking to their dutch roots and shoving their middle finger at anything Brisbane related ended that. I still attended their games to support the league rather than them.

Lived in Melbourne when the Heart came along. They are a start up team that needed support and I wanted a team to follow. The general feel of the team, the stated philosophy of the club and even the colours appealed to me so it was a natural fit.

If you didn't support Victory, why

Not from Victoaria, never cared about them and their hard core supporteds, to generalize, are dickheads.

Edited by Rellum

Never had interest in aleague but took interest when I started playing outdoor.

Was faced with picking a team. MVFC membership was too complicated, wife liked the red. MHFC were more appealing with a young family.

Never regretted it and over time my decision has been cemented with other reasons like many of those mentioned above.