Melbourne Football

World Cup Thread

moops

France have at least some incentive ; they need a draw minimum to secure top spot in the group. Secondly, their squad is deep af so resting players won't hurt from a playing stocks perspective. If anything they'll play more aggressively because those players will want to force their way in.

Agree with @rass, Peru are out now so if we can nab an early goal we can hopefully take advantage of a dwindling mindset.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Kruse did little but I'm not sure if Daniel can play 90. Furthermore, what is the point of bringing on Kruse at 75 minutes?

Bring on Petratos instead. Kruse should never see another Socceroos cap.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, haz said:

The problem is that France are through, so I think they'll play slack, even if they want to avoid a hard oppenent. Whereas Denmark still havnt qualified so they'll be playing with more intensity.

Since France have the better team, I can see it evening out to a draw

I just hope giroud gives them a good talk to have a tottenham player sent home early from the tournament 

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

Cahill is perfect for the game against Peru. 

I also think a lot of Socceroos supporters have an overinflated opinion of the team as well. 

We have only 5 players who belong out there.

Mooy

Ryan

Leckie

Sainsbury

Arzani

with no class striker we are pushing smelly stuff up hill.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Behich and Arzani set 'em alight in the last 20 minutes.

Risdon was up against Sisto last night, who imo was the Danes best but geez he defended him well. Didnt give him an inch of space facing goals the entire game. Europe beckons.

Behich has been fantastic for a while. Clearly our best LB now.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 4

Kruse always gets into the right positions. Unfortunately he has no technical ability and his decision making is awful. Our attack regularly breaks down with him. He cannot start next match.

Juric was awful. Terrible decision to bring him on. Either bring on Cahill or Maclaren. Juric is not going to score against class defenders. Everything about him is just average. 

If we get our front three working (Arzani - Maclaren - Leckie) then we are every chance to get the win. 

• Like 2

On 22/06/2018 at 11:50 PM, Tony999 said:

Haha! The Brazil coach just got bundled over lol. Watching these South Americans is putrid with their diving. No wonder why l never watch the Copa America

Think he picked up in injury from it too lol

1 hour ago, Blackout said:

Robbie Kruse holds his spot on a wing.

Some people have obviously lost patience with him, I had a quick look at his wiki page to see his European record and this is what I found:

image.thumb.png.a9a27b1e97afa80e683469204919e767.png

I don't understand why he cops so much vitriol. He's doing his best, it's not great but the fault lies with BvM for selecting him

Ehh not really surprised tbh. More surprised with people thinking we had a chance, never did, not without a striker and these players. 

Its going to be worse with Arnold but not in Robbie Slaters eyes. Will be fun him trying to spin each bad result 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

Ehh not really surprised tbh. More surprised with people thinking we had a chance, never did, not without a striker and these players. 

Its going to be worse with Arnold but not in Robbie Slaters eyes. Will be fun him trying to spin each bad result 

They exceeded my expectations  (thanks mainly to VAR) but I can't see Arnold doing anything special. 

9 minutes ago, Jovan said:

They exceeded my expectations  (thanks mainly to VAR) but I can't see Arnold doing anything special. 

I get a feeling that given the whole FFA and FIFA mess and the usual suspects who demand pro/rel with the old NSL clubs to be allowed to come into the ALeague and also the general mess the game is in, this post mortem is going to be extra tasty

5 hours ago, bt50 said:

Well im an Arnie fan and think he'll do a terrific job fwiw. Bad luck if you like that possession football bullshit though.

Although it was a while ago, his last attempt was a disaster. He relies on Bobo, Adrian etc to score most of his goals, where is that quality in the NT right now? Furthermore given there is no cap at international level, its not going to be in his favour. I think the first few games will be like Sydney in the ACL the past season

8 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

Hopefully we will have a new generation of promising players in the next world cup in 4 years

Arzani is a sure thing

theoharous is at borrussia mochengladbach

pasquali developing at ajax youth academy genreua loaned to jvs

who else?

Folami coming through as a ST. Since he has been 'Developed' in Europe, I hope he has better finishing

Also he has scored 1000 goals in the Championship

image.png.67b2939f23564c5c96acb2fb69b93f87.png

Edited by haz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, haz said:

Although it was a while ago, his last attempt was a disaster. He relies on Bobo, Adrian etc to score most of his goals, where is that quality in the NT right now? Furthermore given there is no cap at international level, its not going to be in his favour. I think the first few games will be like Sydney in the ACL the past season

5 hours ago, bt50 said:

Well im an Arnie fan and think he'll do a terrific job fwiw. Bad luck if you like that possession football bullshit though.

Yeah I dont think his last go counts for much IMO. But I do agree with the Sydney part. He is a coach in the mould of Mourino... Ie doesnt coach attack and instead allows the forwards do their 'thing'. Worked great at Sydney with the front line he had but the Socceroos forwards are hopeless.

Oh and especially at the Asian cup when every opponent we play is going to park the bus. Anyway, we will see.

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Yeah I dont think his last go counts for much IMO. But I do agree with the Sydney part. He is a coach in the mould of Mourino... Ie doesnt coach attack and instead allows the forwards do their 'thing'. Worked great at Sydney with the front line he had but the Socceroos forwards are hopeless.

Oh and especially at the Asian cup when every opponent we play is going to park the bus. Anyway, we will see.

Yep, Ill judge after the first couple of games

36 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Also not going to lie.... Kind of want him to fail so it would shut Slater up 

That won't shut Slater up, it'll be everyone else's fault, just like it was with Bambi

49 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

Hopefully we will have a new generation of promising players in the next world cup in 4 years

Arzani is a sure thing

theoharous is at borrussia mochengladbach

pasquali developing at ajax youth academy genreua loaned to jvs

who else?

The current Socceroos are the generation that had disrupted development with the hiatus between NSL and HAL coming in their important formative years. Arzani, Genrau etc are products of the new development pathway so will have better technical and tactical skills. What this team was really missing was a quality striker, it mystifies me whey we struggle so much to develop good strikers

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

Yeh i definitely think his last stint is completely irrelevant, being that it was over 10 years ago, before he had significant club experience and even then it was as a caretaker role post Guus. The Sydney concerns are valid ones to be fair and i probably hadnt thought of it like that. I think you could argue that he didnt have that sort of forward line at CCM though and still consistently did well.

Anyways time will tell no doubt, but every coach gets the benefit of the doubt with me until proven otherwise so until then Allez les Arnies.