Melbourne Football

Christmas Derby 23rd December

Hellenic Hero

34 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Word from a very close insider to the tards but by us handing them a win we denied Muscat being sacked last night. Gutted. 

Well that's the best thing I've heard for ages.

The longer that muppet is there can only be a good thing.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Word from a very close insider to the tards but by us handing them a win we denied Muscat being sacked last night. Gutted. 

It tells everything about the misery of the club if they rely on the last minute opposition howler to decide whether to sack a manager or not.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2017 at 9:24 AM, belaguttman said:

It also relies on being able to take your chances. Statistically (according to Soccernomics)  1 in 9 shots on target results in a goal, we are rarely having 9 shots on target a game

I agree, but this stat doesn't include 'blocked shots that were on target' which is a clear indicator of slow ball movement and allowing the opposition to flood the box. Also the ineffective shots from outside indicates we have no real second option to pumble a bullet from outside.

I think Mauk needs to have a spell, Kamau and Fitzy on the pine.

Budzinski to start and stay in the traditional CAM position and have 2 of Arzani, Atkinson, Cavallo running the lines and cutting in centrally as this adds speed, aggression, strength and precision on goal with having 2 main forward targets.

Edited by playmaker

I think the issue isn't personal. Everyone gets caught up with which player should play where.

Its the system/mentality. Wazza has come in and completely changed the fundamental mindset of playing group. Now I'm not sure if it will be successful but one thing I know for sure its hard to watch. 

People aren't stupid and the longer we continue play like this and NOT get results then the rightful backlash will occur. Now if your playing this way and winning it's a different story.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

They said that we never won two consecutive derbies. It was hard to swallow but nothing unusual happened yesterday.  We played better than expected, plus Ross was back.

Ooh! That's a challenge for the record keepers! Technically true I think. But in 2011-12 we drew the first, won the second and then drew the third, and then in 2012-13 we won the first of the season. At that point all up we had won 3, drawn 3 and lost only 1.

Our movement is just too slow, I think it’s that simple.

Kamau & Fitzgerald made a heap of decent runs last night only for Bratten / Mauk / Jacobsen to step on the ball & play back to where the ball just came from. Our wins early in the season came on the back of our wide men being able to isolate their fullbacks & being direct & positive with the ball. At the moment the only time They receive it is when we literally have no other option.

• Like 1

Pretty horrible to watch that, ultra defensive kick and rush, it was the same in the second half, but Ross won more long balls than we had in the first.

Atkinson and Kamau are the only players with a bit of flair with Fitzy not having his best game, Arzani should have replaced him at some point to see what he could do.

Bratten really dwells on the ball at times, if he has no time he plays better, every time he has time and space he can't decide what to do and ends up killing our forward momentum, it's frustrating to watch.

Positives for me were Malik had a good game, Shenkevald was his imperious self, Kamau came alive second half and tried hard and Atkinson looks a talent, has fast feet and defended quite well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, moops said:

Pretty horrible to watch that, ultra defensive kick and rush, it was the same in the second half, but Ross won more long balls than we had in the first.

Atkinson and Kamau are the only players with a bit of flair with Fitzy not having his best game, Arzani should have replaced him at some point to see what he could do.

Bratten really dwells on the ball at times, if he has no time he plays better, every time he has time and space he can't decide what to do and ends up killing our forward momentum, it's frustrating to watch.

Positives for me were Malik had a good game, Shenkevald was his imperious self, Kamau came alive second half and tried hard and Atkinson looks a talent, has fast feet and defended quite well.

He has quite alot of composure too, though it did seem he was a little nervous in the first half (understandably), but once his confidence was up he looked almost unbeatable. Granted it is still early days and many players have gone on to flop from here, but I am quite hopeful.

Edited by malloy

1 minute ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Listening to the replay all you can hear are the Victory fans, can we get Fox to turn up the microphones fucks sake 

The mics will play whatever noises are closest to the ball at the time. If we were to keep the ball at the Yarra end for the majority of the game you would mainly hear us on TV. 

12 minutes ago, malloy said:

He has quite alot of composure too, though it did seem he was a little nervous in the first half (understandably), but once his confidence was up he looked almost unbeatable. Granted it is still early days and many players have gone on to flop from here, but I am quite hopeful.

Agree and the tricks to support it, late in the second half when he played like a dancer with the back heel to Bratten was great to see (who then chipped it to Fitzy, who crossed to Kamau creating our best two chances with Ross shooting straight into the defender and Kamau turning to shoot into a defender again), he is smarter beyond his years and has some skill along with it.

23 minutes ago, moops said:

Agree and the tricks to support it, late in the second half when he played like a dancer with the back heel to Bratten was great to see (who then chipped it to Fitzy, who crossed to Kamau creating our best two chances with Ross shooting straight into the defender and Kamau turning to shoot into a defender again), he is smarter beyond his years and has some skill along with it.

I'd love to know how many "shots" we've had blocked so far this season. In both the cases you mention IMO the striker (first Ross and then Kamau) went the "wrong" side of the keeper. I watched the warm-ups, and our guys were absolutely pathetic in the shooting practice. Half the shots not even on target, and most of the rest saved by the 'keeper. It's no wonder we're struggling to score.

Atkinson is a good prospect. IMO the only fault I've seen so far is a tendency to try to beat one player too many.

1 hour ago, moops said:

Brattan really dwells on the ball at times, if he has no time he plays better, every time he has time and space he can't decide what to do and ends up killing our forward momentum, it's frustrating to watch.

Luke "Sideways" Brattan is like the shower in a cheap motel. Either too hot or too cold. Possibly the most frustrating player in the squad.

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'd love to know how many "shots" we've had blocked so far this season. In both the cases, you mention IMO the striker (first Ross and then Kamau) went the "wrong" side of the keeper. I watched the warm-ups, and our guys were absolutely pathetic in the shooting practice. Half the shots not even on target, and most of the rest saved by the 'keeper. It's no wonder we're struggling to score.

I agree, our decision making around shooting is poor, a well-positioned keeper usually blocks the shot. The other revealing stat is the number of goals that we've scored from a deflection, quite high percentage I'd anticipate. Again this reflects clever placement of the ball vs luck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSK_47 said:

The mics will play whatever noises are closest to the ball at the time. If we were to keep the ball at the Yarra end for the majority of the game you would mainly hear us on TV. 

Fair enough I suppose, but fuck it's annoying- seemed like we held our own at the ground but on the telly it's like we weren't even there, all you can hear is the scum

4 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Fair enough I suppose, but fuck it's annoying- seemed like we held our own at the ground but on the telly it's like we weren't even there, all you can hear is the scum

Sitting pretty much bang on half way I only recall once or twice actually noticing Melburnians being loud (one was the stand up if you love city chant). Where as Victory were much louder and for longer periods of time.

36 minutes ago, malloy said:

Sitting pretty much bang on half way I only recall once or twice actually noticing Melburnians being loud (one was the stand up if you love city chant). Where as Victory were much louder and for longer periods of time.

Fair enough if that's the case, I asked my mate who was sitting in a similar spot to you, who essentially said that whilst Victory were louder when they got going but we were more consistent. Ah well, he's probably biased haha

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'd love to know how many "shots" we've had blocked so far this season. In both the cases you mention IMO the striker (first Ross and then Kamau) went the "wrong" side of the keeper. I watched the warm-ups, and our guys were absolutely pathetic in the shooting practice. Half the shots not even on target, and most of the rest saved by the 'keeper. It's no wonder we're struggling to score.

Atkinson is a good prospect. IMO the only fault I've seen so far is a tendency to try to beat one player too many.

Luke "Sideways" Brattan is like the shower in a cheap motel. Either too hot or too cold. Possibly the most frustrating player in the squad.

Tbf both strikes by Kamau were half chances he made, the first from the pass from Ross (from the long bomb from Boozanis) was his best chance, the other was a snap shot.

The first chance his first touch was unreal, his finish not so much, but he is halfway there.

I don't agree with Atkinson, the only mistake I saw him make was when he cut inside and made a bad pass, I think to Jacobsen? Otherwise I want him taking more guys on, not styphling him.

Agree.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Not at you but more so about finishing ability. I wonder whether he will ever 'be there.' 

You mean Bruce Kamau? Answer, no. He's not a young player any more - he'll be 23 by the time the season's over, and there's not much "development" time left. Two of his three goals this season were deflections, and could just as easily have missed. One of the most over-rated players in our squad IMO - so easily knocked off the ball. How Joyce rates him as "Championship" material is beyond me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You mean Bruce Kamau? Answer, no. He's not a young player any more - he'll be 23 by the time the season's over, and there's not much "development" time left. Two of his three goals this season were deflections, and could just as easily have missed. One of the most over-rated players in our squad IMO - so easily knocked off the ball. How Joyce rates him as "Championship" material is beyond me.

My sentiments too but I like to be non committal in the hope I'm wrong 

19 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Whivh entertains the idea of the club run by the forum. We'd be more volatile than a Turkish club, sackings every week garunteed. 

@Niko If you could add up (and I mean had the names/numbers to work with rather than your arithmetic abilities!) all the people within the Heart/City organizations who have come and gone since inception of the club (all levels of admin, coaching, players etc.) I suspect you - and the rest of us - would be astonished.

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@Niko If you could add up (and I mean had the names/numbers to work with rather than your arithmetic abilities!) all the people within the Heart/City organizations who have come and gone since inception of the club (all levels of admin, coaching, players etc.) I suspect you - and the rest of us - would be astonished.

As in who we've been right about in terms of their ability/success?

Under Wazza we have a team dedicated to neutralising the opposition and then pinching a goal somewhere but on Saturday night having the deadly duo of Mauk/Kamau start up front was  a failure. Only with Ross' The Boss' getting second half game time did we really look threatening on goal. But geez even then, why do we insist on not honoring the runs that McCormack offers.

So here Jakobsen with the ball could split the defence with McCormack on side and starting to make a run behind the defenders.

27545677709_4284fff391_b.jpg

But fcuk no, Jakobsen decides to play a safe ball to Bratts to his right who then passes it wider to Fitzy and within a few more touches the whole forward movement collapses with no shot on goal.

24458998107_313be494b0_b.jpg

This is a common problem where we lack imagination, inventiveness or just the guts to go forward. Nothing wrong with McCormack but everything wrong with the mindset of players around him. Maybe Wazza likes it this way?

• Like 3