Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

Speaking of the Socceroos, did anyone else think it was like watching the Heart play in a yellow top?

Pass pass pass possession possession possession pass back to defence, back to keeper, back to defence, pass pass pass, etc etc etc...and in the end had nothing to show for it apart from a better possession percentage than their opposition.

Oh yeah...and we lost.

My conclusion is that the players take too much time to think when they have the ball. By the time they come to pass the ball the forward options are closed off and so the ball goes sideways or backwards. 

Against CCM this was so obvious with Kisnorbo and Hoffman and their awful "service" to Duff. It has become so habit-forming with Hoffman that his first instinct when receiving the ball is to position his body for the backwards/sideways pass. Give JvS his due - in the first half he was screaming at these two to change their play - to no avail unfortunately.

The top players have already summed up their options and made their decision before they've even received the ball.

To do this you need what my coach would call "peripheral awareness"- use you peripheral vision to work out where everyone is.  

You see this deficiency in the A-league with the number of times players get tackled from the side and they had no idea the opponent was there.

Speaking of the Socceroos, did anyone else think it was like watching the Heart play in a yellow top?

Pass pass pass possession possession possession pass back to defence, back to keeper, back to defence, pass pass pass, etc etc etc...and in the end had nothing to show for it apart from a better possession percentage than their opposition.

Oh yeah...and we lost.

My conclusion is that the players take too much time to think when they have the ball. By the time they come to pass the ball the forward options are closed off and so the ball goes sideways or backwards. 

Against CCM this was so obvious with Kisnorbo and Hoffman and their awful "service" to Duff. It has become so habit-forming with Hoffman that his first instinct when receiving the ball is to position his body for the backwards/sideways pass. Give JvS his due - in the first half he was screaming at these two to change their play - to no avail unfortunately.

To me this is Mooy's biggest weakness.  He ticks boxes with touch, shooting, tackling, work rate, but he can be slow choosing an option when on the ball and more often than not that can mean that the best option is no longer available.  (I don't see why he can't overcome this, he's only young)

Agree. I've been saying this for a while. He fiddles with the ball too much and the attack loses momentum. He makes up for it in other ways, but this is an area he needs to improve on.

in some respects we played better without him against CCM although, we could have done with his energy late into the game.

Aaron Mooy says Melbourne City can’t rely on impending unveilings of Robbie Koren and Josh Kennedy

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

NOVEMBER 23, 2014

THE unveiling of marquee duo Robbie Koren and Josh Kennedy is edging closer, but midfielder Aaron Mooy says Melbourne City needs to get cracking before then.

City are already 12 points behind leaders Perth Glory seven rounds in after Saturday night’s 2-1 loss to Sydney FC leaves them winless at home this season with their only win coming in Brisbane.

Former Hull City star Koren could return in a fortnight while Kennedy will commence training soon though he’s ineligible to play until January.

A gun distributor, Mooy was looking forward to linking up with target man Kennedy but said the players available needed to address the team’s deficiencies first, starting with Sunday’s trip to Wellington Phoenix.

“They (Koren and Kennedy) are great players, they’re well known so they’ll help the team and sooner or later they’ll be fit and available which will be great,’’ Mooy said.

“I’ve spoken to some of the players about him (Kennedy) and they said he’s really good at holding it up, he has good feet and he’s good in the air. It’s exciting.

“But we’ve got to concentrate on what we’re doing individually and move up the ladder (before then).

“There’s still lots of games left in the season. Hopefully we can put a string of performances in and pick up points.’’

Mooy said City needed to change their habit of subconsciously sitting deeper after going ahead.

Defender Connor Chapman, midfielder Stefan Mauk and left-sided teen Ben Garuccio will all come into contention for the New Zealand trip.

“Once we get ahead we usually drop off, sit back and get a bit scared,’’ he said.

“But when we take the lead we’ve got to play the same, not be worried about conceding. We need to try and score more goals and kill off the game.

“The coaching staff definitely don’t tell us to sit back. Everyone just wants the win so badly maybe we get a bit scared.

“Nobody was speaking (after the Sydney FC loss), everyone was gutted. We’ve got to get over it and move forward. There’s no use sulking.’’

Mooy was among City’s better performers in a generally disappointing display, having returned on Thursday after a late substitute appearance in the Socceroos’ 2-1 loss to Japan.

He hoped to secure a spot in Ange Postecoglou’s 23-man Asian Cup squad.

“I was selected so I’m guessing that Ange will be watching me. I’ve just got to keep playing well, play consistent and hopefully I can snag a spot in the squad,’’ Mooy said.

“It was a great 10 days, it was a good experience to be selected and to be with a full-strength squad and to get on at the end was great as well.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/aaron-mooy-says-melbourne-city-cant-rely-on-impending-unveilings-of-robbie-koren-and-josh-kennedy/story-fnk6rlg0-1227132269968?nk=4630055f737038f036cd3ad4d40d9423

He's been quality since the day he arrived. Along with Duff, just puts in a good stint everytime. The difference between Mooy/Duff and the rest of the cattle is their consistency and that they can drag out a good performance even when the rest around them are going to sh!t. Head and shoulders above most of our squad. Just goes to show that even Popovic can have a blind spot.

Edited by HEARTinator

If he does go to NYCFC in January, it may free up some salary cap to buy some actual defenders.

If he goes to NYCFC in January we are stuffed plus it shows our new owners couldn't give a proverbial about us as they should be strengthening our squad, not taking away our best player.  :o

Gun

Hog!

He was let go from WSW for the same illness that he now suffers. Take your blinkers off people. Go and impartially watch a replay.

He constantly wants to run with the ball at the sideline with little space so he can show off his (mostly) great ball skills. Often times he completely ignores free players further infield rather preferring to take on three or four players with some mazy footwork.

This often has the impact that any advantage we have of playing the ball quickly evaporates as he runs around like a headless chook. Just watch a replay. He often trashes good attacking moves by not getting rid of the ball. He's not unlike Murdocca in this regard (except Murdocca more often than not does it in midfield).

Yes he does so many things well, but this is one part of the game he needs to get rid of. It's almost like he thinks it is his role to do these game slowing runs. If I was the gaffer, I'd tell him to pass it quicker and not purposely run into traffic.

Gun

Hog!

He was let go from WSW for the same illness that he now suffers. Take your blinkers off people. Go and impartially watch a replay.

He constantly wants to run with the ball at the sideline with little space so he can show off his (mostly) great ball skills. Often times he completely ignores free players further infield rather preferring to take on three or four players with some mazy footwork.

This often has the impact that any advantage we have of playing the ball quickly evaporates as he runs around like a headless chook. Just watch a replay. He often trashes good attacking moves by not getting rid of the ball. He's not unlike Murdocca in this regard (except Murdocca more often than not does it in midfield).

Yes he does so many things well, but this is one part of the game he needs to get rid of. It's almost like he thinks it is his role to do these game slowing runs. If I was the gaffer, I'd tell him to pass it quicker and not purposely run into traffic.

Please don't compare him to Murdocca :droy:

I'd rather have Mooy and his 'deficiencies' than many of our squad. He might be hanging on to the ball coz all he can see ahead is the dynamic duo of Willo/Duga. That's why against the Nux he decided he might as well just have a ping himself.

Gun

Hog!

Yes he does so many things well, but this is one part of the game he needs to get rid of. It's almost like he thinks it is his role to do these game slowing runs. If I was the gaffer, I'd tell him to pass it quicker and not purposely run into traffic. I agree, but he also works hard to win the ball. I think he should be able to change his game and drop this bad habit in time.

This forum has yet to explore the topic whether the mid-field has any confidence in our attacking third. Given the number of opportunities butchered and as a fan I don't have any great confidence on the ability of the front third. Well at least the team has not descended into Kew Jaliens brain freeze.

Said it after one of the earlier games, but for me this is where a good #10 is just so important for us to link it properly together.

Hopefully Koren can be that player for us.

This forum has yet to explore the topic whether the mid-field has any confidence in our attacking third. Given the number of opportunities butchered and as a fan I don't have any great confidence on the ability of the front third. Well at least the team has not descended into Kew Jaliens brain freeze.

Yep, pretty much what I said above. Mooy does good work but then our attackers have turned that advantage to shit. If we had finishers like Berisha we'd be contenders for silverware - as well as some decent defensive options.

Mooy has carried this team. Maybe that's why he's a "hog", because the rest (most) of the squad are useless.. why should he have confidence in them.

Some of the balls he does play to these teammates stand out that much, but how rarely are they capitalised on?

anyways he's our best player by a long long way.

he has his faults, but thats why he's in the A_league and not in Europe.

We can sack the entire Australian contingent, but who would they be replaced with?  There's a dearth of quality locals-which is not to say our imports are any good either.

I think you nailed it. The local quality pool is not that deep so the internationals have to be the difference and this is where the club has been crap. I thought that under CFG we would see an immediate improvement (existing contracts notwithstanding) but aside from Duff, it has been poor.

• 2 weeks later...

Another decent game from Aaron. Unlucky with that shot he smashed and hit the post.

That was on target but Coe got something on it.

Is this what happened? I still have no fucking idea how it didn't go in. Looked like a dead set goal from the yarra end before it was scrambled away for a corner.