Melbourne Football

Season 23/24 - Round 2 - Melbourne vs Adelaide Sunday 29th Oct - 7.00 pm

IssySG

41 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Need a result here! Going to be a huge test for us as it's the 3rd game in 8 days plus coming back from Thailand...

Definitely wouldn't be disappointed in a draw.

We appear to be grappling with a number of issues - injuries in the seniors (Leckie, Nabbout and now probably Talbot), an ageing back line (self-inflicted), and a dearth of talent in the Academy (at least talent that Rado is prepared to actually put on the field). We've got a situation where the starting side virtually picks itself, and that's not good.

• Like 1

Contradicting my previous comments I must say on reflection that this fixture logjam is absurd. APL/FA have got to look at the A-League season and league and cup fixtures in context. To return from an away match in Bangkok to an away match in Adelaide is asking too much and then another short turnaround to the match on Friday - just doesn't make sense. That said, I must ask myself whether the club has managed the squad properly too - at least one senior player out for a whole season (Andrew Nabbout) but no replacement, and also Sulemani out with an ACL as well??

Seems to me that APL/FA are just being pig-headed in the way they are managing our competitions.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Contradicting my previous comments I must say on reflection that this fixture logjam is absurd. APL/FA have got to look at the A-League season and league and cup fixtures in context. To return from an away match in Bangkok to an away match in Adelaide is asking too much and then another short turnaround to the match on Friday - just doesn't make sense. That said, I must ask myself whether the club has managed the squad properly too - at least one senior player out for a whole season (Andrew Nabbout) but no replacement, and also Sulemani out with an ACL as well??

Seems to me that APL/FA are just being pig-headed in the way they are managing our competitions.

Agreed with everything here!

The APL couldn't organise a root in a brothel to be fair...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Whilst I think playing on Sunday and then on Friday is not really a short turn around IMO. The boys are being looked after, they eat, sleep and travel well.

This is the first time we've experienced such an ACL campaign, other teams such as Victory and Sydney had to deal with this in the past. Having said that all that it would be interesting to see how other teams have performed during these busy congested periods.  

17 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Least hes trying to do something.   

Yes just try it with you other foot.

Sakhi is becoming an big issue in build up, he doesn't want the ball, hides behind oppostion players, too lazy to step left or right and make himself available - not wanting the ball is a big No No in the City football system. 

Edited by Mr MO

Not impressed with Jakolis' simulation. That's twice in two games. For me he can fuck right off if he wants to do that. I'd rather finish rock bottom than cheer players who cheat.

But in a wider context we have been decimated with injuries, on top of huge changes in the close season. Suspect it's going to be a struggle. Even worse because I suspect Victory and all their sycophants in the media are going to be insufferable this season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Not impressed with Jakolis' simulation. That's twice in two games. For me he can fuck right off if he wants to do that. I'd rather finish rock bottom than cheer players who cheat.

Went out for a walk after dinner rather rather than follow this match. Nothing in the comments so far surprises me - if you couldn't see what a shit style of football we are playing under Rado then you haven't been watching. Right from the first Cup match against Oakleigh it has been the same in every match I have watched live so far. Far, far worse than ever Joyce-ball was. This is just Kisnorbo Mark II - repeat, repeat, repeat the same hoping for a different outcome. This is going to be a long and painful season at this rate.

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Went out for a walk after dinner rather rather than follow this match. Nothing in the comments so far surprises me - if you couldn't see what a shit style of football we are playing under Rado then you haven't been watching. Right from the first Cup match against Oakleigh it has been the same in every match I have watched live so far. Far, far worse than ever Joyce-ball was. This is just Kisnorbo Mark II - repeat, repeat, repeat the same hoping for a different outcome. This is going to be a long and painful season at this rate.

In my view a lot of this is also the quality of the players, how often do we see us setting up a one-two through ball only for the player not having the football smarts to understand the run, instead we just pass it backwards to another player.  

We have no forward outlet either, we tried 2 to 3 times this first half, 2 of them resulted in turn overs - as a result you stop trying. 

The team is just disjointed, some will go away by playing more but a lot is just due to speed or quality.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

In my view a lot of this is also the quality of the players, how often do we see us setting up a one-two through ball only for the player having the football smarts to understand the run, instead we just passed it backwards to another player.  

We have no forward outlet either, we tried 2 to 3 times this first half, 2 of them resulted in turn overs - as a result you stop trying. 

Watch the players - their first instinct is to go backwards They turn backwards almost without exception. Throw-ins go backwards. How often do we threaten with a direct free-kick? How often do we get in the box and then not even register a shot? This is as much a style issue as it is player skills. It's an over-obsession with possession.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Are we really blaming players. The squad is fine. 

Whilst Rado doesn’t get the best of out the players he’s recruited perhaps, some stuff I’m watching is the just lack of speed, quality and football smarts.

Jakolis, Lopane, Talbot, Reis, Souprane, Sahki and perhaps some others in this game just aren’t top 4 and they you’ll loose these games.

JMAC can’t acontrol a ball with a defender on his and misses. penalty - nothing goes right.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Thanks 1