Melbourne Football

Australia Cup 2023: SF: City vs. Sydney Sunday 24 September 2023 KO 3 pm at AAMI Park

jw1739

2 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

All I see is two easy wins. They're professionally athletes,  they should be able to manage.

Yeah nah that’s just odd that the game isn’t on a Sunday. The conspirator in me says this helps Sydney but what can be the reason?

Edited by Mr MO

54 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

All I see is two easy wins. They're professionally athletes,  they should be able to manage.

Even for professionals a tough ask IMO. Fortunately for us no travelling is involved, but I don't resile from the view that the Sunday would be more appropriate. There's no Rugby League scheduled here for that weekend.

10 hours ago, Zanty said:

Where has the SF date been announced?

I took my information from here: https://www.google.com/search?q=australia+cup+semi+final+draw&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBAU881AU881&oq=Australia+Cup+semi&aqs=chrome.0.0i3j0i131i433i512j69i57j0i22i30l7.16940j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Perhaps I should have looked further...

• jw1739 changed the title to Australia Cup 2023: SF: City vs. Sydney Sunday 24 September 2023 KO 3 pm at AAMI Park
2 minutes ago, haz said:

Guessing members will get in for free? 

Yes. Just depends how much of the ground they will open. Have we played a SF at home before? - my spreadsheet shows the three QF matches at AAMI drew 2,900 to 5,400 and those were on a Wednesday evening, and 1,400 at Kingston Heath again on a Wednesday.

35 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes. Just depends how much of the ground they will open. Have we played a SF at home before? - my spreadsheet shows the three QF matches at AAMI drew 2,900 to 5,400 and those were on a Wednesday evening, and 1,400 at Kingston Heath again on a Wednesday.

We knocked Victory out in the semi back in 2016 en route to lifting the FFA Cup. This article says 15,000 were in attendance: https://www.australiacup.com.au/news/city-outmuscle-victory-fiery-ffa-cup-semi-final-0

Edited by Heart Inaugural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heart Inaugural said:

We knocked Victory out in the semi back in 2016 en route to lifting the FFA Cup. This article says 15,000 were in attendance: https://www.australiacup.com.au/news/city-outmuscle-victory-fiery-ffa-cup-semi-final-0

So we did! I wonder why I haven't got that on my spreadsheet? I'll add it. 15,791. Astonishingly it was  Tuesday evening!

Many thanks.

• Like 1

I'm holding off for a while until our gang makes a collective decision and we buy all in one purchase and sit together. I'm not sure that I can stand another showing of the same "quality" as yesterday.

1 minute ago, haz said:

Going to give this one a miss since members need to still pay for tickets. 

Even with the discount, looking at $75+ (incl parking), which tbh I would rather save for my weekly grocery shop. 

General Reserved rather than City Blue is cheaper, but they're still offering only rows A and B for 2 and 4 tickets respectively. Not interested in sitting there. 

14 hours ago, haz said:

Going to give this one a miss since members need to still pay for tickets. 

Even with the discount, looking at $75+ (incl parking), which tbh I would rather save for my weekly grocery shop. 

I think that's the way I'm leaning at the moment. Decent yogurt instead of the Woolworth's generic brand for a few more weeks. Perhaps the elephant-in-the-room question is "Have Rado-ball" and "Kisnorbo-sub" finally broken my sprit after 13 years?

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I think that's the way I'm leaning at the moment. Decent yogurt instead of the Woolworth's generic brand for a few more weeks. Perhaps the elephant-in-the-room question is "Have Rado-ball" and "Kisnorbo-sub" finally broken my sprit after 13 years?

As always we don’t know what influence there is on the recruitment.

Perhaps we have just recruited wrong (early impression). Some players appear too light / not ready. We haven’t addressed the aging backline and we keep ignoring that we aren’t up to ACL standards in the CF spots.

Rado’s style is perhaps a little lazy with giving players more freedom and some players struggle with that. He’s also seems to have a personal issue with Galloway, I can figure out why he’s not getting any minutes.

Injuries don’t help and Natel is an unknown.

Edited by Mr MO

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

As always we don’t know what influence there is on the recruitment.

Perhaps we have just recruited wrong (early impression). Some players appear too light / not ready. We haven’t addressed the aging backline and we keep ignoring that we aren’t up to ACL standards in the CF spots.

Rado’s style is perhaps a little lazy with giving players more freedom and some players struggle with that. He’s also seems to have a personal issue with Galloway, I can figure out why he’s not getting any minutes.

Injuries don’t help and Natel is an unknown.

I understood that Galloway has been injured.

I agree that the injuries to Leckie and Nabbout don't help, but I think it's much deeper than that. The club needs to change it's attitude and style of play as @bt50 says. It's not pre-season as far as I am concerned - we're playing ACL football. What the club should aspire to and what I pay my membership for for 13 seasons. People keep referring to Warren Joyce and "Joyce-ball;" what we see now is "Rado-ball." To see Good and whoever it was in our half passing the ball backwards and forwards (literally) to each other over about 5 yards, and five forwards standing like traffic cones further upfield in our first ACL match on home soil - unbelievable. This game is won by scoring goals, not possession, and spectators go to be entertained, not bored shitless. Yes I'm pissed off and so I think are a lot of others - not one of our 8 gang members have committed to Sunday's FFA Cup semi-final so far.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I understood that Galloway has been injured.

I agree that the injuries to Leckie and Nabbout don't help, but I think it's much deeper than that. The club needs to change it's attitude and style of play as @bt50 says. It's not pre-season as far as I am concerned - we're playing ACL football. What the club should aspire to and what I pay my membership for for 13 seasons. People keep referring to Warren Joyce and "Joyce-ball;" what we see now is "Rado-ball." To see Good and whoever it was in our half passing the ball backwards and forwards (literally) to each other over about 5 yards, and five forwards standing like traffic cones further upfield in our first ACL match on home soil - unbelievable. This game is won by scoring goals, not possession, and spectators go to be entertained, not bored shitless. Yes I'm pissed off and so I think are a lot of others - not one of our 8 gang members have committed to Sunday's FFA Cup semi-final so far.

FWIW i dont even necessarily think we need to change our style of play per se, not in the entirety. But we need to have another string to our bow to throw in every five minutes or so, so that we're not so bloody predictable. Its way too easy to defend when you know what the opposition are going to do every single time.

• Like 3

I decided to give it one more go and have bought my ticket. Being eligible for concession it's only $15.

Unless you're fussy about precisely where you sit, having used your membership number to log-on it's cheaper to get a seat in "General Reserved" than it is in City Blue, and you can move from the seat that Ticketek offers you to any of the four "General Reserved" bays, and also buy other tickets (concession/adult/junior) as a bloc at the same time if you want to.

Very few seats have been sold when I bought mine yesterday evening, so you can get a decent seat.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bannon said:

can't wait to travel for hours to watch us get flogged

At least you will personally witness "where we are at".... It's a nice day, just doze in the sun if nothing else, and better than having to accompany your wife to somewhere you don't want to go.

• Haha 1