Melbourne Football

The APL/FA Management Thread

thisphantomfortress

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Are we seeing anything new in this context? Or has it all been pushed aside by coronavirus, lockdowns and the Olympics?

The A-League seems to be jogging along in the background on auto-pilot as per a usual off-season. Even the deck-chairs aren't moving.

Think that's a little unfair.

They have secured the new tv deal which basically guarantees the survival of the League for next period. 

Next big announcement needs to be fixturing and cap rules. But our friend COVID will have alot to say.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Think that's a little unfair.

They have secured the new tv deal which basically guarantees the survival of the League for next period. 

Next big announcement needs to be fixturing and cap rules. But our friend COVID will have alot to say.

To your knowledge, what's the latest on transfer fees for players moving between A-League clubs? 

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

To your knowledge, what's the latest on transfer fees for players moving between A-League clubs? 

That's it's an objective, nothing has changed. 

From memory no fees between A League clubs are permitted and a nominal fee I think up to a few K for lower leage to A League, but as far as I can tell, nothing has changed regarding transfers.

Which is contradictory to my tone to my previous post, but for me the big one has been achieved and now its just adding the extras.

27 minutes ago, Jovan said:

That's it's an objective, nothing has changed. 

From memory no fees between A League clubs are permitted and a nominal fee I think up to a few K for lower leage to A League, but as far as I can tell, nothing has changed regarding transfers.

Which is contradictory to my tone to my previous post, but for me the big one has been achieved and now its just adding the extras.

I just did a bit of Googling, and I can find nothing on a change since FA's release of a "white paper" on the subject in January 2021. At that time the PFA was sceptical of transfer fees. 

I reckon on balance the APL did well last year.

They managed to run a truly national comp without hubs and even showed a sceptic like me that it actually was possible for Perth to play a full season without relocating to the East Coast.

All this without being on premier’s speed dials. Based on that, I’m confident they’ll make a decent fist of next season.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So the APL has announced the addition of three W-League teams (WU, Welly and CCM), which will bring it into line with A-league in terms of the number of teams.

The APL has also announced there will be a "Club Championship" which will be awarded to the team with the most points accumulated between the men's and women's teams.

The club championship will be interesting in respect of Canberra and Macarthur. I would expect that in some time Macarthur will have a women's team. So is this announcement a potential slip up of the tongue about plans for Canberra to have a men's team?

https://www.w-league.com.au/news/expansion-leads-raft-plans-drive-womens-football-forward?fbclid=IwAR1idPfhu_wom2z6dTHpTlrbW5_i_lv9OTY2s9dLhLeedtcqi28YjPO17Yc

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/a-leagues-reveal-a-new-identity-australian-football

Very interesting development. Fundamentally a logical move and on the face of it will improve the games reach. Obviously all will be in the actual content.

If we are ever going to sort the game I believe all the games/leagues need to be accessible on the same format, to watch anything you need half a dozen subscriptions. 

Never going to happen but we can only dream. 

• Like 1

• jw1739 changed the title to The Football Australia/A-Leagues Management Thread
4 hours ago, Harrison said:

I like the logo and I like the change. A-Leagues is a bit clunky and it will take a bit of time to get used to saying A-League Men and A-League Women and A-League Youth. But it is progress. 

I wonder if they will market it as ALM, ALW and ALY. 

One season and then they will be sponsored names.

• Like 1

On 30/09/2021 at 4:54 PM, Harrison said:

I like the logo and I like the change. A-Leagues is a bit clunky and it will take a bit of time to get used to saying A-League Men and A-League Women and A-League Youth. But it is progress. 

I wonder if they will market it as ALM, ALW and ALY. 

Progress and political correctness rolled into a package. I find it irritating that I receive an email about the squad or a signing and then find it's not for the A-League - sorry, A-League Men.

I notice that we have no women's youth league.

On 03/10/2021 at 12:56 PM, jw1739 said:

Progress and political correctness rolled into a package. I find it irritating that I receive an email about the squad or a signing and then find it's not for the A-League - sorry, A-League Men.

I notice that we have no women's youth league.

That's exactly the entire concept. 

Bringing up all the sectors of the game, Male Female and youth to the 1. 

It's a bold move and in time could be seen as progressive, but also could be another failed concept.

I like and think it deserves a crack.

5 hours ago, Jovan said:

That's exactly the entire concept. 

Bringing up all the sectors of the game, Male Female and youth to the 1. 

It's a bold move and in time could be seen as progressive, but also could be another failed concept.

I like and think it deserves a crack.

The A-League facebook changed its name to A-League Men or something to that effect.

Out of curiosity though, are women actually ineligible to play in the "Mens" A-league. It is my vague recollection that women aren't prevented from playing in mens competitions (possibly requires approval from FV) in the Vic setup, but not sure if the same rules apply to A-League. They definitely apply to the FFA cup though as Dobson has played in the competition.

So if Women and Youth are capable of playing in the A-League, why is it being rebranded as "A-League - Mens".... 

Note,this comment is largely tongue in cheek other than to highlight some of the illogical thoughts when it comes to segregation of sports on the basis of sex.

10 hours ago, malloy said:

The A-League facebook changed its name to A-League Men or something to that effect.

Out of curiosity though, are women actually ineligible to play in the "Mens" A-league. It is my vague recollection that women aren't prevented from playing in mens competitions (possibly requires approval from FV) in the Vic setup, but not sure if the same rules apply to A-League. They definitely apply to the FFA cup though as Dobson has played in the competition.

So if Women and Youth are capable of playing in the A-League, why is it being rebranded as "A-League - Mens".... 

Note,this comment is largely tongue in cheek other than to highlight some of the illogical thoughts when it comes to segregation of sports on the basis of sex.

Why sex? Should be on the basis of testosterone and bone density.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, malloy said:

Over the centuries civilisations have forgotten many things - such as how the pyramids were built and how Caesar built a bridge across the Rhine in 3 days. One of those we forgot in the 20th century was that women and men are different...

And personally I am pleased about that.

I think some are missing the fundamental point. 

They are trying to market/brand both Male and Female as equal.

Probably 4 or so years too late, because at that time the W League was possibly in the top half a dozen leagues quality wise, then Europe decided to invest and now we would be lucky if we were in the top 20. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

I think some are missing the fundamental point. 

They are trying to market/brand both Male and Female as equal.

Probably 4 or so years too late, because at that time the W League was possibly in the top half a dozen leagues quality wise, then Europe decided to invest and now we would be lucky if we were in the top 20. 

How is it marketed overseas? Is it co-marketed as we are now trying to do, or is it actually standing on its own two feet and justifying itself by itself? I'm often wrong, but IMO it should be the latter. And you're right about quality. When we had Fishlock and Little etc. it was worth going to see, but really it doesn't rate these days. You're right, it is investment that counts. Say what we like about City Football Group, but the entry of CFG into the A-League has been the catalyst for change there.

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

How is it marketed overseas? Is it co-marketed as we are now trying to do, or is it actually standing on its own two feet and justifying itself by itself? I'm often wrong, but IMO it should be the latter. And you're right about quality. When we had Fishlock and Little etc. it was worth going to see, but really it doesn't rate these days. You're right, it is investment that counts. Say what we like about City Football Group, but the entry of CFG into the A-League has been the catalyst for change there.

As far I know this hasn't been done before. 

As mentioned earlier it may be groundbreaking or just another dumb idea, time will tell.

Just going further, the current allegations of abuse that have been made by De Vanna feed into my personal view that women's football should be administered, officiated and played by women, and should stand on its own two feet. I don't care what other sports do. If, under administration of women, women's football chooses to employ men in certain capacities, then of course it should do so, but let it be accountable for its actions. The allegations against Alen Stajcic have never been substantiated, and now here we go again with De Vanna. It just brings the whole game into the spotlight again for all the wrong reasons.

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Just going further, the current allegations of abuse that have been made by De Vanna feed into my personal view that women's football should be administered, officiated and played by women, and should stand on its own two feet. I don't care what other sports do. If, under administration of women, women's football chooses to employ men in certain capacities, then of course it should do so, but let it be accountable for its actions. The allegations against Alen Stajcic have never been substantiated, and now here we go again with De Vanna. It just brings the whole game into the spotlight again for all the wrong reasons.

Almost agree - she made the claim against other women. I am waiting to see whether there are any other players who will make similar claims.

35 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Almost agree - she made the claim against other women. I am waiting to see whether there are any other players who will make similar claims.

I didn't read that far. But if the claim(s) of abuse are female-female abuse then I think that makes my argument even stronger. I don't see why other participants in the game need that added burden. I don't know whether we have any allegations of men/boy abuse in the game like they do in the AFL, but it's hard enough to keep that sort of shit out of the game without bringing females into it as well.

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I didn't read that far. But if the claim(s) of abuse are female-female abuse then I think that makes my argument even stronger. I don't see why other participants in the game need that added burden. I don't know whether we have any allegations of men/boy abuse in the game like they do in the AFL, but it's hard enough to keep that sort of shit out of the game without bringing females into it as well.

I suspect that every sport has these type of skeletons in their closet. After the Olympics where the Kookaburras (hockey) did not do as well as they were expected to the suggestion arose that they ought to bring back Ric Charlesworth as coach. He retorted that he would be sent packing because his training methods were now bordering illegal.

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I suspect that every sport has these type of skeletons in their closet. After the Olympics where the Kookaburras (hockey) did not do as well as they were expected to the suggestion arose that they ought to bring back Ric Charlesworth as coach. He retorted that he would be sent packing because his training methods were now bordering illegal.

Think that is murking the waters a bit.

These allegations and I know many many more will surface are sexual abuse and not old fashioned coaching methods.

All sports are going to have to address these historical abuses as has religious, educational, community institutions.

Looking back growing up in the 80s it was rampant and many many lives destroyed. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • jw1739 changed the title to The APL/FA Management Thread
  • 3 weeks later...

I know comparing the A-League to the AFL is unfair given the gulf in available resources, but the AFL's pledge to play every game in the 2022 season as originally scheduled is exactly where I believe the A-League/APL has totally faltered this season. 

West Coast will be missing 13 players for their game today and have to field top-up players from the WAFL, but it's these contingencies that are going to ensure that fans keep rocking up instead of losing interest as so many have in our A-League season due to the ridiculous fixturing and sporadic rescheduling.

Flexibility is usually a good thing, but I think the competition has been totally undermined because of the lack of ability to allow "the show to go on" at certain instances this season, and I think the AFL has nailed their no-budge stance.

46 minutes ago, Nate said:

I know comparing the A-League to the AFL is unfair given the gulf in available resources, but the AFL's pledge to play every game in the 2022 season as originally scheduled is exactly where I believe the A-League/APL has totally faltered this season. 

West Coast will be missing 13 players for their game today and have to field top-up players from the WAFL, but it's these contingencies that are going to ensure that fans keep rocking up instead of losing interest as so many have in our A-League season due to the ridiculous fixturing and sporadic rescheduling.

Flexibility is usually a good thing, but I think the competition has been totally undermined because of the lack of ability to allow "the show to go on" at certain instances this season, and I think the AFL has nailed their no-budge stance.

Thats all great and I would like to see the same . But what would you suggest was done? Given covid cancellation of games and the odd bad weather postponements I hear a lot of people get upset but not suggest solutions. Fwiw I actually don't know the right answer myself. Push out the season makes sense. But with the world cup at our doorstep and stadium booking challenges i dont even know if this is viable.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Nate said:

It will be interesting to see how many people will turn up to AFL games in the long term if the top up players are not up to the same level as the ones that they have replaced. I recall one season that Richmond had 19 players out injured so basically the rest of the list was playing and they were crap and the attendance figures were low. So I like that the AFL is trying something but we will need to see what the results are going to be.

• Like 1